MavsBoard
2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart (/showthread.php?tid=206)

RE: Bradley Beal trade ? - ItsGoTime - 11-20-2019

Here's the trade you're asking for:

THJ/Lee/Powell/Curry/Wright/JJ/Brunson/2025 first/all the seconds we can trade

for 

Wall/Beal/Mahinmi (out with achilles injury also)

That is basically the best we can come up with. Other teams can do MUCH better.

Leaves our team looking like this (this year) without any waiver wire signings or g-league contracts:

Luka/Beal/DFS/KP/Kleber

JJB/Broekoff/Cleveland/Reaves/Roby/Boban

I don't think we need the home run star player. We need solid starting caliber players without decimating our bench.

RE: Bradley Beal trade ? - SportPsychMav - 11-20-2019

@"fifteenth"@"Kammrath"@"SleepingHero"@"ClutchDirk"@"balldontliez"

Can we merge this with the trade thread if such a function exists? We have now the same discussion in 2 separate threads.

RE: Trade Ideas + Mavs Salary Chart - omahen - 11-20-2019

(11-20-2019, 01:08 PM)Kkswoosh Wrote: Is CP3 better than a healthy Wall ?

Imho by far. He is a high IQ player and winner. Wall is neither of that.

RE: Trade Ideas + Mavs Salary Chart - fifteenth - 11-20-2019

I think we can do better than CP or having to take on Wall's contract. My vote is for patience at the moment.

RE: Trade Ideas + Mavs Salary Chart - SportPsychMav - 11-20-2019

(11-20-2019, 01:31 PM)fifteenth Wrote: I think we can do better than CP or having to take on Wall's contract. My vote is for patience at the moment.
My vote as well.
Its more interesting to think about which player we would like to trade for if he becomes available, rather than think about realistic options right now.

Only playertype I cannot potentially identify on the roster is a bad ass.

I can imagine brunson being that player, Luka is one as well, but it's not the player I take into consideration.

Finney is to some degree, but he lacks the body type.

RE: Trade Ideas + Mavs Salary Chart - HanspardsShowerVoice - 11-20-2019

I think CP3 always starts off on a good foot with his new clubs, but by the end he wears everyone down with his personality. It's just a lot, and eventually it rubs off on everyone around him and his teams become as surly and whiny and constantly aggrieved as he is. And to be fair to him, that personality has made him the player he was because it's not easy to make it in the league as a 6'1" point guard without Allen Iverson caliber raw athletic ability. He made himself a great player through a huge chip on his shoulder and force of will to a large degree. But ask yourself what is the ideal situation for that player. It's not going to be with a young group of players, and a young star, going through growing pains and finding their own way because he's going to have zero patience with it before turning into angry dad. Which is okay, I guess, if you're like Jordan and you're undoubtedly the best player on your team and everyone can defer to you because you hold their respect ... but what if you're just the 2nd, 3rd or 4th best player on the floor and constantly pulling rank on players who are better than you. It gets old and people get tired of it. That's what happened in Houston.

RE: Bradley Beal trade ? - jesusshuttlesworth82 - 11-20-2019

If Washington is trading Beal to rebuild, why would they want Porzingis and his $150 million dollar contract?

RE: Trade Ideas + Mavs Salary Chart - ClutchDirk - 11-20-2019

https://twitter.com/basketballtalk/status/1197283637823254531

RE: Trade Ideas + Mavs Salary Chart - StepBackJay - 11-20-2019

Stop with all these terrible trades.

RE: Trade Ideas + Mavs Salary Chart - SportPsychMav - 11-20-2019

I'm not thinking Pop would do it, but trading for DeRozan might be possible.

Still prefer staying put this season.

RE: Trade Ideas + Mavs Salary Chart - Magickian - 11-21-2019

the legend Mike Fisher seems to plugging the Blake Griffin to the Mavs idea

https://www.si.com/nba/mavericks/news/could-the-mavs-potentially-make-a-trade-for-blake-griffin/

He often has some fantastical stuff that is way off when it comes to Free Agency, but he has been able to nail down a few of our trade targets in the past before. 

I would prefer Blake Griffin over CP3 for fit reasons, and I actually think we might be able to pull off that trade...

We would have to give up a lot more than we would for CP3 which makes the biting of such a contract harder to do with his health issues...

but either way I still argue that we could move CP3 in 2021 and I think it is paranoia to say otherwise... How much you all want to bet that John Wall gets moved this season too? if not this one then the next... He is by far the worst contract in the league, even worse than CP3s...

These contracts are not impossible to move for teams so why would it suddenly be for us?

Our bigger issue isn't trying to get teams to bite on contracts... our bigger issue is with our front office following in love with our players too much to trade and/or we re-sign them for too much money....

RE: Trade Ideas + Mavs Salary Chart - omahen - 11-21-2019

(11-20-2019, 10:49 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote: I'm not thinking Pop would do it, but trading for DeRozan might be possible.

He would not be a good fit imho

(11-21-2019, 01:57 AM)Magickian Wrote: I would prefer Blake Griffin over CP3 for fit reasons, and I actually think we might be able to pull off that trade...

I agree Griffin would be a good fit. But imho that article is a pipedream as most of the Fisher gang articles. Brunson being a cornerstone of a Griffin trade!? Come on... Even Mavs are not playing Brunson as a future star yet everyone in the league sees him this way according to Trigg. Yeah right... 

From Detroit perspective, if they are trading Griffin, they want good pieces for the future. And here is where Dallas is weakest. They could get some salary fillers from us, some young role players with questionable upside and a very distant first. If Griffin comes on the market, teams like Portland would kill for him and have a far better package to offer. I don't believe we could get it done.

RE: Trade Ideas + Mavs Salary Chart - DanSchwartzgan - 11-21-2019

(11-21-2019, 03:19 AM)omahen Wrote:
(11-20-2019, 10:49 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote: I'm not thinking Pop would do it, but trading for DeRozan might be possible.

He would not be a good fit imho

(11-21-2019, 01:57 AM)Magickian Wrote: I would prefer Blake Griffin over CP3 for fit reasons, and I actually think we might be able to pull off that trade...

I agree Griffin would be a good fit. But imho that article is a pipedream 

As I read the Griffin trade article my first thought was "yeah, the only real benefit of including Hardaway in a deal is to bring back an even larger deal".  So, on that count the deal makes sense.  I think Detroit is more likely to make a Griffin trade next season setting themselves up for massive cap room in 21, but who knows.  It is Detroit.

But, the larger point I wanted to make is that we may be looking at the wrong end of the court on some of these trade targets.  Does the number 1 offense in the league (O-Rating) really need another 20 point per game scorer?  Seems to me the trick is to bring up the #17 Defensive rank while not losing the offensive contributions of the player(s) being replaced (how good would Danny Green look right about now).  I'm not sure Griffin has the defensive chops he once had and I suspect he would be disruptive to the flow of our Offense.

I also wonder if it is too soon to bring in another "star".  Marc Stein makes the point in the podcast below (the first 30 minutes are all about Luka and the Mav's) that it will take some time for Luka and KP to figure things out and Dallas is likely to give them the time/space to do so before making a big trade.  Yeah, maybe they do something minor with Lee or their $11.8 TPE (Expires 2/7) if they are still top 4/5 in the west by the deadline.  I personally think the best time to make a deal is going to be this summer after the draft.  Maybe a June deal or maybe something like what we did with Wright (or Indy did with Brogdon) where we deal for a RFA even if we don't quite have the cap room to get there.  We can use the just made draft pick as part of the deal.  Our cap room projects to be less than the MLE right now, but if they S/W THJ, they are suddenly in the $20 million range depending on the cap.  They don't have to use the S/W if they trade for the player.  It is the threat of the S/W that might help make the deal possible.

Well worth the listen:    [/url][url=https://www.theringer.com/the-bill-simmons-podcast/2019/11/20/20973697/a-full-fledged-luka-gasm-with-marc-stein-chadwick-boseman-black-panther-sports-movie-hall-of-fame]https://www.theringer.com/the-bill-simmons-podcast/2019/11/20/20973697/a-full-fledged-luka-gasm-with-marc-stein-chadwick-boseman-black-panther-sports-movie-hall-of-fame

RE: Trade Ideas + Mavs Salary Chart - fifteenth - 11-21-2019

I think Dan is right.

And I think the Fish stuff is based on his belief that what the Mavs need most is a third best player. That's what he's been talking about lately.

RE: Trade Ideas + Mavs Salary Chart - ItsGoTime - 11-21-2019

(11-21-2019, 09:04 AM)fifteenth Wrote: I think Dan is right.

And I think the Fish stuff is based on his belief that what the Mavs need most is a third best player. That's what he's been talking about lately.
I don't get the third best player talk. IMO we need 2 solid starting caliber players (3 would be better). Most of the 3rd best player talk is about the need for a 3rd high scoring player. We need 2 guys who can come in and score 14-16 ppg that play good to great defense. If we were to get a 3rd guy, that can be the 10-12 ppg guy with top notch defense.

RE: Trade Ideas + Mavs Salary Chart - ClutchDirk - 11-21-2019

I agree...we need starter(s) not stars...

RE: Trade Ideas + Mavs Salary Chart - SportPsychMav - 11-21-2019

If I can freely pick, I pick Covington and Smart

RE: Trade Ideas + Mavs Salary Chart - HanspardsShowerVoice - 11-21-2019

Of the discussed trades, Blake is the most realistic and makes the most sense, but I'm of the belief that the Mavs should be steadfastly in the "Don't do anything to F this up" mindset right now, whether it's lockerroom culture, long term cap viability or whatever. Focus right now should be getting Luka and KP to continue to gell as a tandem. This stuff doesn't happen overnight. It's not like Golden State just put together Curry, Klay and Draymond and they were winning rings overnight. It took seasons of them playing together before they found a balance and style that highlighted everyone's strengths, and had to avoid the temptation of blowing it up out of impatience with the Klay/Love trade. If another KP type trade falls on your doorstep you you obvsiously pull the trigger, otherwise Mavs don't need to force a deal.

RE: Trade Ideas + Mavs Salary Chart - SportPsychMav - 11-21-2019

(11-21-2019, 09:29 AM)ClutchDirk Wrote: I agree...we need starter(s) not stars...

Look no further than THjr, I'm 100% sure he is playing better as as starter, when he shares the floor with players who are clearly better than him, it is easier for him to play within the flow of the game.

RE: Trade Ideas + Mavs Salary Chart - BigDirk41 - 11-21-2019

(11-21-2019, 11:04 AM)SportPsychMav Wrote:
(11-21-2019, 09:29 AM)ClutchDirk Wrote: I agree...we need starter(s) not stars...

Look no further than THjr, I'm 100% sure he is playing better as as starter, when he shares the floor with players who are clearly better than him, it is easier for him to play within the flow of the game.
Hard pass for me. I'd be happy if other players could have his minutes. THJ isn't starter material. I honestly wish we could trade him, but no chance of that without taking on a huge contract.