MavsBoard
2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart (/showthread.php?tid=206)

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - StepBackJay - 07-28-2020

Not extending Bam - would that mean they just do a QO and risk him not resigning as a UFA the next year? That would be extremely risky, I can't imagine why they would do that rather than max him out this offseason.

(07-28-2020, 09:42 AM)fifteenth Wrote:
(07-27-2020, 10:19 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Eh, obviously you aren't trading Luka for anyone short of prime Kareem or Jordan, and you're only trading KP if you get three top 75 players in return. Seth and Maxi I only let go as part of a package for a top 50 player. Seth's uber-elite three point shooting and Maxi's big man three and D identity are that valuable. THJ and DFS are far more expendable. I like THJ, but it depends on the price of his extension, and if you can get a binarily better player - like Aaron Gordon, tbqdh - you trade him regardless. DFS, I like, and he has something of that Brad Davis quality in that we got him as an undrafted rookie and developed him into a marginal NBA playoff starter, but if you can get a better player back, then of course you trade him. What makes him seem a bit more valuable than he actually is is that he and THJ are our best wings. Horrors. Desperately need two superior players to fill those slots, and yes, AG is one of those guys.

Regarding Gordon vs DFS, I agree that it's clear that Gordon is the more naturally talented player, but that doesn't always make it obvious which player should play on our team. 

DFS operates as a hugely important glue guy who works really well with Luka and is knocking down his 3's. He fits great. Gordon's game, as it exists, isn't the game he'd play in Dallas. We wouldn't want him to play the game here that he plays in Orlando, including his 20% usage. 

Delon is an example of a player who is obviously a more talented player than DFS who isn't as productive and effective in Dallas. I'm sure other teams have situations like that. Fit is really important. A player's ability to fit into a role is really important. 

I want Gordon to come here, but it's because I think Rick can give him different stuff to do than what he does in Orlando. We don't want Orlando Gordon, we want a Rick converted Gordon. And we don't know if Gordon can make the transition. So there's risk involved. For that reason, I wouldn't trade DFS or THJ for him.

Great summary. I do think we want and should expect Rick Gordon should he come here. I would not give up DFS, I think he's just too valuable, especially considering his contract. I would part with THJ as much as I like THJ bc he is up for a new deal or extension and I think the expectations go way up when he has another 60-80 tacked onto his deal. I would rather cash in on Rick-THJ now while his value is up if we can net a player like Gordon who is in my view less risky with a higher ceiling, younger and has an extra year on his deal.

Plus Curry and THJ are in some ways redundant (altho its awesome bc 1 of the 2 are almost always on). If THJ did exit for Gordon then Curry would benefit in minutes and would likely stay in the starting rotation.

I like Curry, Luka, Gordon, DFS, KP as basically a small-ball, fast, offensive minded lineup that can also compete defensively. You give up shooting with Gordon but he will contribute in other ways that will make up for shooting. It would also not surprise me if Rick "fixes" his outside shot and all of a sudden you see him shooting 35% instead of 30.

Mavs would be shrewd to turn THJ into an asset instead of a salary dump and net a very good player. Of course they are unlikely to do so bc they fall in love with their own players. I would predict an extension for THJ this offseason instead of a trade.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - DanSchwartzgan - 07-28-2020

I tend to agree that Gordon fills a greater need (partially because Curry can handle SG and DFS can be the SF in a lineup with Gordon at the 4).  THJ has clearly been better than Gordon in 19/20, but it is a closer call in years prior (and there is the age thing).

But, we don’t completely control THJ and Orlando has two pretty good SG’s.  Maybe Fournier opts out and gets signed by Atlanta?  In that case, maybe Orlando wants Hardaway.  If not, are saying Orlando would play Tim at the 3?  Fournier at the 2?  I’ve yet to see a sure-fire match between Dallas and Orlando.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Scott41theMavs - 07-28-2020

(07-28-2020, 04:16 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: I tend to agree that Gordon fills a greater need (partially because Curry can handle SG and DFS can be the SF in a lineup with Gordon at the 4). THJ has clearly been better than Gordon in 19/20, but it is a closer call in years prior (and there is the age thing).

But, we don’t completely control THJ and Orlando has two pretty good SG’s. Maybe Fournier opts out and gets signed by Atlanta? In that case, maybe Orlando wants Hardaway. If not, are saying Orlando would play Tim at the 3? Fournier at the 2? I’ve yet to see a sure-fire match between Dallas and Orlando.

You must have missed how they're going to want all of our junk, then, hee hee.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - DanSchwartzgan - 07-28-2020

(07-28-2020, 04:31 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(07-28-2020, 04:16 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: I tend to agree that Gordon fills a greater need (partially because Curry can handle SG and DFS can be the SF in a lineup with Gordon at the 4).  THJ has clearly been better than Gordon in 19/20, but it is a closer call in years prior (and there is the age thing).

But, we don’t completely control THJ and Orlando has two pretty good SG’s.  Maybe Fournier opts out and gets signed by Atlanta?  In that case, maybe Orlando wants Hardaway.  If not, are saying Orlando would play Tim at the 3?  Fournier at the 2?  I’ve yet to see a sure-fire match between Dallas and Orlando.

You must have missed how they're going to want all of our junk, then, hee hee.

Oh, there’s a good chance I’ve been promoting such junk.  But, let’s be real.  There are only so many ways to get to the right amount of salary...

1. Hardaway...we just dealt with that
2. Wright/Jackson/pick...not sure they really need another mid first.  They need to take the next step forward and move from fringe playoff team to something greater.  Plus, I’m not sure Wright is a good fit there.
3.  Something based around Maxi...I suspect few are in favor of this.

So, I like the idea of Gordon, but the path to get there is murky...and please no one suggest they will want Powell coming off a major injury.  Dodgy

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Mavs2019 - 07-28-2020

Gordon´s contract is nice, but Orlando´s situation is not.

In 2021 somebody is coming with that max offer for KG Junior, so you can already pencil in Isaac for $27M. Fournier is an UFA and Fultz is a RFA.

Isaac 27
Vucevic 24
Gordon 16
Ross 12
Aminu 10
Bamba 8

That´s $97M in salaries and they have one (6th man) guard on the roster.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - omahen - 07-28-2020

(07-28-2020, 05:34 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: Gordon´s contract is nice, but Orlando´s situation is not.

Situation is very simple for Orlando. Swap Gordon for a decent PG, SG or SF. The only one arguably fitting this description on Mavs roster is THJ.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - chaparral - 07-28-2020

(07-28-2020, 05:34 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: Gordon´s contract is nice, but Orlando´s situation is not.

In 2021 somebody is coming with that max offer for KG Junior, so you can already pencil in Isaac for $27M. Fournier is an UFA and Fultz is a RFA.

Isaac 27
Vucevic 24
Gordon 16
Ross 12
Aminu 10
Bamba 8

That´s $97M in salaries and they have one (6th man) guard on the roster.

I'm reading this as, ORL might like the idea of multiple players in exchange for Gordon?  Wright, Jackson and the 18th pick gives there roster 9 players (instead of the 7 you listed above) under contract for 2021/22.  Ten players counting there own 1st round pick this offseason.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - dirkfansince1998 - 07-29-2020

https://www.talkbasket.net/96860-facundo-campazzo-to-reportedly-leave-real-madrid-for-the-nba

Timberwolves or Mavs as the most likely destination. Already 29 years old but probably a top 3 current international player that has never tried his luck in the NBA.
Best NBA comparisation would probably be a worse Kyle Lowry or some kind of mix between Rubio and Beverley. Good defender with quick hands. Solid shooter but more of a pass first PG. Struggles to score in the paint.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - omahen - 07-29-2020

(07-29-2020, 01:55 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Timberwolves or Mavs as the most likely destination. Already 29 years old but probably a top 3 current international player that has never tried his luck in the NBA.
Best NBA comparisation would probably be a worse Kyle Lowry or some kind of mix between Rubio and Beverley. Good defender with quick hands. Solid shooter but more of a pass first PG. Struggles to score in the paint.

He can be exciting to watch, but I don't think he can be more than 3rd string PG in the league. I think he will be a defensive liability as he is small and light

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - dirkfansince1998 - 07-29-2020

(07-29-2020, 02:24 PM)omahen Wrote:
(07-29-2020, 01:55 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Timberwolves or Mavs as the most likely destination. Already 29 years old but probably a top 3 current international player that has never tried his luck in the NBA.

He can be exciting to watch, but I don't think he can be more than 3rd string PG in the league. I think he will be a defensive liability as he is small and light

Don´t think defense would be a big problem. In europe he was known for his defensive tenacity. Watching some tape I would say that he has above average lateral quickness and quick hands. Especially impressed with his ability to press opposing PGs.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Omega_Supreme - 07-30-2020

(07-28-2020, 04:16 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: I tend to agree that Gordon fills a greater need (partially because Curry can handle SG and DFS can be the SF in a lineup with Gordon at the 4).  THJ has clearly been better than Gordon in 19/20, but it is a closer call in years prior (and there is the age thing).

But, we don’t completely control THJ and Orlando has two pretty good SG’s.  Maybe Fournier opts out and gets signed by Atlanta?  In that case, maybe Orlando wants Hardaway.  If not, are saying Orlando would play Tim at the 3?  Fournier at the 2?  I’ve yet to see a sure-fire match between Dallas and Orlando.

Carlisle wants a swiss army knife forward similar to Marion 

The only guy that fits that skillset is Gordon 

I do not think we would have to part ways with that 18th pick maybe the 2nd and two out of Jackson, Wright, Brunson, and Finney Smith would get it done.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - omahen - 07-30-2020

(07-30-2020, 02:03 AM)Omega_Supreme Wrote: Carlisle wants a swiss army knife forward similar to Marion 

Everyone needs that type of player

(07-30-2020, 02:03 AM)Omega_Supreme Wrote: The only guy that fits that skillset is Gordon 

A lot of other guys fit that description too. It's just a question how can they be obtained. Because again, everyone needs this type of guys

(07-30-2020, 02:03 AM)Omega_Supreme Wrote: I do not think we would have to part ways with that 18th pick maybe the 2nd and two out of Jackson, Wright, Brunson, and Finney Smith would get it done.

I hope you are right but I think you are way undervaluing Gordon. Why would Orlando do a trade like that? As everyone needs guys like we wish Gordon would be, his price will be (much) higher.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - omahen - 07-30-2020

Some think Wood could be signed at MLE. 

https://theathletic.com/1960057/2020/07/30/stay-or-go-an-nba-agents-take-on-the-pistons-biggest-contract-decisions/

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - michaeltex - 07-30-2020

(07-30-2020, 02:03 AM)Omega_Supreme Wrote:
(07-28-2020, 04:16 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: I tend to agree that Gordon fills a greater need (partially because Curry can handle SG and DFS can be the SF in a lineup with Gordon at the 4).  THJ has clearly been better than Gordon in 19/20, but it is a closer call in years prior (and there is the age thing).

I do not think we would have to part ways with that 18th pick maybe the 2nd and two out of Jackson, Wright, Brunson, and Finney Smith would get it done.

I would suggest that DFS is growing into that role. The biggest question is whether he will continue to progress or do you give up and bring in a new body? I'm not opposed to Gordon. I like what I've seen when they play DAL, I just question whether he's enough of an upgrade to be worth investing assets to bring him in.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - ClutchDirk - 07-30-2020

https://chicago.suntimes.com/bulls/2020/7/29/21346622/bulls-players-concerned-arent-being-heard-by-new-front-office

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - BasketballJones41 - 07-30-2020

(07-30-2020, 01:12 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: https://chicago.suntimes.com/bulls/2020/7/29/21346622/bulls-players-concerned-arent-being-heard-by-new-front-office
Looks like they’re going to have to trade Markkanen to Dallas. I don’t see any other solution.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Omega_Supreme - 08-01-2020

(07-30-2020, 09:07 AM)michaeltex Wrote:
(07-30-2020, 02:03 AM)Omega_Supreme Wrote:

I would suggest that DFS is growing into that role. The biggest question is whether he will continue to progress or do you give up and bring in a new body? I'm not opposed to Gordon. I like what I've seen when they play DAL, I just question whether he's enough of an upgrade to be worth investing assets to bring him in.

I am a DFW fan no doubt but he is limited in what you can ask him to do. Gordon can handle the ball and still has not hit his ceiling as a player. He also has never had a playmaker like Doncic distributing for him.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - StepBackJay - 08-01-2020

Man I'd love Gordon on this team. DFS is good but he just isn't a stud defender. Mavs need a stud and Gordon fits that role.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Hypermav - 08-02-2020

https://www.eurohoops.net/en/nba-news/1086382/luka-doncic-hopes-to-see-facu-campazzo-in-the-nba/

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Scott41theMavs - 08-03-2020

How much cap room do we have this summer if we let THJ walk? If we convince him to re-sign for $10 mil starting per year?