MavsBoard
2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart (/showthread.php?tid=206)

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - aguiar95 - 05-12-2020

I've seen an intresting article using CraftedNBA metrics that divide the players' defensive categories in five, the most important are:

- Off ball Wings: We have Wright, THJ and Brunson and none of them are top 30. Here are some good available names: Schroder (OKC), Richardson (PHI), Holiday (UFA), Hart (NOP) and Powell (TOR).

- Versatile Bigs: We currently have K, Kleber and Powell in the top 30 in this category. Here are some good available names: Gay (SAS), Young (CHI), Boucher (RFA), Ibaka (UFA), Nance jr. (CLE), Plumlee (UFA).

- On ball Stoppers: We only have DFS (28th) in this category. Here are some good available ones: Jones Jr. (UFA), D. White (SAS), G. Harris (DEN), A. Gordon (ORL), T. Ariza (POR), K. Dunn (RFA).

We definetely need an on ball stopper to help DFS, maybe two. A better off ball wing would help. A versatile big to wait untill DP recovers would be nice as well. Since Wright is our 9th best player and Jackson our 11th, it makes sense to combine those players with picks to try and get better return. We can take 19M in return for those two alone. Does DJJ get the full MLE? Any other names to add to the list of defenders available?

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Mapka - 05-12-2020

(05-12-2020, 11:47 AM)Mavs2019 Wrote:
(05-12-2020, 09:42 AM)Mapka Wrote:
(05-11-2020, 04:21 PM)ThunderMav Wrote: ^^^

But teams used existing numbers to make rosters and deals.

If cap is reduced say from $120m to $90m yet salaries are not reduced by same percent (not actual salary just for cap reasons) then about every team will be over.  And it will hurt all teams ability to make deals.  Since every team will scramble to get under lux which will be lower too.  They need to do it in relation.

Think of it like when caps went up bigtime the year KD left.  They should have throttled it but didn’t.  In reverse its going down bigtime yet if players cap numbers don’t adjust the same its going to create big problems for all teams.  No one will make any trades or deals since all teams will be closer to lux cap.  You basically take $30m away from teams if no adjustment.

Players would still get full pay this is only grandfathered in for all existing players for cap numbers.

Ok let´s say we adjust the numbers of the old contracts for tax-purpose but not for the cap. This will allow a wider range of trades and  the cap stays fair for everyone.

Why would that allow a wider range of trades? All that does is allow the high-capped teams to keep their best players. If I´m the Knicks or Hornets with around $75-90M in capspace, I´d rather have these high-capped teams be pressured into trading me some valuable players or pay for cap relief with multiple 1st round picks/young talent. Even more than usual. I don´t see the incentive for these teams with a healthy cap to bail out the heavy spenders.

Maybe I should have said wider range of possible trades, because less teams would be in or near the tax, so they can use SnTs and bigger differences in salary.
I also don't want to bail out teams with ugly contracts, but also don't want to hardpress teams, that would have been healthy capwise but won't be with a lower taxline.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - chaparral - 05-12-2020

(05-12-2020, 12:15 PM)aguiar95 Wrote: I've seen an intresting article using CraftedNBA metrics that divide the players' defensive categories in five, the most important are:

- Off ball Wings: We have Wright, THJ and Brunson and none of them are top 30. Here are some good available names: Schroder (OKC), Richardson (PHI), Holiday (UFA), Hart (NOP) and Powell (TOR).

- Versatile Bigs: We currently have K, Kleber and Powell in the top 30 in this category. Here are some good available names: Gay (SAS), Young (CHI), Boucher (RFA), Ibaka (UFA), Nance jr. (CLE), Plumlee (UFA).

- On ball Stoppers: We only have DFS (28th) in this category. Here are some good available ones: Jones Jr. (UFA), D. White (SAS), G. Harris (DEN), A. Gordon (ORL), T. Ariza (POR), K. Dunn (RFA).

We definetely need an on ball stopper to help DFS, maybe two. A better off ball wing would help. A versatile big to wait untill DP recovers would be nice as well. Since Wright is our 9th best player and Jackson our 11th, it makes sense to combine those players with picks to try and get better return. We can take 19M in return for those two alone. Does DJJ get the full MLE? Any other names to add to the list of defenders available?

Thanks for the info, could you also provide a link to that article - please.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - aguiar95 - 05-12-2020

(05-12-2020, 01:27 PM)chaparral Wrote: Thanks for the info, could you also provide a link to that article - please.

The mavs input was done by myself, the stats were taken from https://craftednba.com/player-roles on the defense part. Could not find the article again, it was on a NBA Facebook group.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - omahen - 05-12-2020

Now this is a collection of silly trades.

https://bleacherreport.com/br-nba-fantasy-league-trades

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - ClutchDirk - 05-14-2020

https://twitter.com/BobbyMarks42/status/1260915407810158592

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - ClutchDirk - 05-14-2020

Per The Athletic's Anthony Slater, one recent addition who can expect to be in the starting lineup next season is Andrew Wiggins.
"But, ask anyone in the organization—during their private or public moments—they got Wiggins with the expectation that he'll be their starting small forward next season, not just a matching contract to flip (like they did with [D'Angelo] Russell)," Slater wrote. "They are aggressive but rational."
Slater did note the Warriors will "remain ambitious" and "explore all avenues" for trade possibilities involving superstars like Giannis Antetokounmpo and Bradley Beal if they become available. 

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - ClutchDirk - 05-15-2020

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1261478418555777024

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - omahen - 05-16-2020

Bleacher is running a fantasy league - a lot of very "strange deals", but Mavs GM "fakeDonnie" seems to have an interesting plan.

1. Trade Curry+Wright+#18 for Winslow and Grayson Allen. This gives us a very good wing on team friendly deal for next two seasons with the last being a team option. Allen has the last chance to prove he is an NBA rotation player. 
2. Re-sign THJ to a 60 mil 4 year deal.

It may seem a hefty pay for Winslow, however this deal arguably still makes us better in 2020 and gives us 2021 flexibility. Assuming we don't sign any other long term contract, this deal would put us at some 100 million of commited salaries (assuming THJ costs 15 mil). Renounce Winslow and Allen and you are at some 82 million of salaries, which would be enough for a max player. Max palyer doesn't want to come, you simply excercise both team options and still have some 15 million of cap space for a very good FA. I like the Winslow fit on Dallas.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Mapka - 05-17-2020

(05-16-2020, 01:40 PM)omahen Wrote: Bleacher is running a fantasy league - a lot of very "strange deals", but Mavs GM "fakeDonnie" seems to have an interesting plan.

1. Trade Curry+Wright+#18 for Winslow and Grayson Allen. This gives us a very good wing on team friendly deal for next two seasons with the last being a team option. Allen has the last chance to prove he is an NBA rotation player. 

It may seem a hefty pay for Winslow, however this deal arguably still makes us better in 2020 and gives us 2021 flexibility. Assuming we don't sign any other long term contract, this deal would put us at some 100 million of commited salaries (assuming THJ costs 15 mil). Renounce Winslow and Allen and you are at some 82 million of salaries, which would be enough for a max player. Max palyer doesn't want to come, you simply excercise both team options and still have some 15 million of cap space for a very good FA. I like the Winslow fit on Dallas.

I'm very very hesitant to trade for a player, that was just sorted out by the heat.
It also seems to be an overpay. We give away an not so great contract, a great contract and a pick. 
I think we should trade for an overpayed wing and keep our roleplayers. As I wouldn't mind trading Wright and the pick for Winslow, if Donnie and Rick like him.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Mavs2019 - 05-17-2020

(05-17-2020, 02:50 AM)Mapka Wrote:
(05-16-2020, 01:40 PM)omahen Wrote: Bleacher is running a fantasy league - a lot of very "strange deals", but Mavs GM "fakeDonnie" seems to have an interesting plan.

I'm very very hesitant to trade for a player, that was just sorted out by the heat.
It also seems to be an overpay. We give away an not so great contract, a great contract and a pick. 
I think we should trade for an overpayed wing and keep our roleplayers. As I wouldn't mind trading Wright and the pick for Winslow, if Donnie and Rick like him.

I agree.

I´d only be willing to trade Wright and Powell (due to the bad history of achilles injuries) for capspace. Players like THJ, Curry, DFS, Kleber, Brunson are untouchable, unless the return is a huge positive net gain (on paper anyway). We know Curry is very good (in our system). We don´t know how good Winslow or Allen can be.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - omahen - 05-17-2020

(05-17-2020, 04:09 AM)Mavs2019 Wrote: We know Curry is very good (in our system). We don´t know how good Winslow or Allen can be.

All true. But we can also assume, we need to add to this team to become real contenders. There is still a huge gap between being number 7 and being number 1 and win the play-offs. 

For me, this proposal looks like we will be at least same quality in 2020/21 and it improves our 2021/22 flexibility, giving us many options to improve. Of course it would be difficult to see Curry go, but you have to give something to get something.

I am mostly concerned that Luka, Kleber, DFS, Curry and THJ had career best seasons. Not many reserves on our team unless we think this guys will just keep improving. Luka is the only one young enough to give us realistic hope about considerably improving.

(05-17-2020, 02:50 AM)Mapka Wrote: I'm very very hesitant to trade for a player, that was just sorted out by the heat.

He was "sorted out", because Heat dumped 40 milion of salary (including Winslow) in 2020/21 while only received 15 mil. This allows the Heat to either resign their guys (Dragic, Jones, Leonard, Crowder), go after a top free agent, trade for high salaries (they can trade Hero, Robinson or Nunn while taking back more salary in cap space) or any combination of the above. They are in full win now mode and they got to get rid of Johnson and Waiters albatross contracts. Their Butler window is next couple of seasons.

(05-17-2020, 02:50 AM)Mapka Wrote: I think we should trade for an overpayed wing and keep our roleplayers.

We don't have the contracts to do that anymore. If we are trading, we are trading our roleplayers. 

(05-17-2020, 02:50 AM)Mapka Wrote: As I wouldn't mind trading Wright and the pick for Winslow

I think Winslow is worth more than that. He is a 3-D wing on a team friendly contract. Everybody needs those guys. He is still very young. The only alarm is that he more or less lost 2 out of his 5 seasons to injuries. Memphis would laugh at that offer - they let Wright go because they liked Tyus Jones more. No way he convinces them to let anyone go, yet alone player of Winslow caliber.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Mapka - 05-18-2020

If Winslow is that good he won't be available, even if we include Seth. I'm pretty sure Memphis will have a look at him at least half a season. 

The salary in contracts shouldn't be a problem as we have birdrights for Lee or JJB if he wants to retire.

I think we can find a kinda twoway-Starter with this contract and the picks. We also have Boban and JJax.

If we can get this player everybody just slips into his natural place on the roster and is above average and in the right role then.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - omahen - 05-18-2020

(05-18-2020, 02:42 AM)Mapka Wrote: I think we can find a kinda twoway-Starter with this contract and the picks. We also have Boban and JJax.

Please list a few examples. Every legit two way starter, even if overpaid, is worth more than salary dumps like you propose (Lee 1 year to trade), back up like Wright and #18 pick. Either we take back bad salaries or we give more assets. Look at OPJ, for example. He is way overpaid. But he is also an expiring. So Chicago has absolutely no motivation to trade a good (when healthy) player for Wright, #18 and artificial salary (like Lee 1 year) to match the salaries.

Of course we always have an option to do nothing.

(05-18-2020, 03:59 AM)omahen Wrote:
(05-18-2020, 02:42 AM)Mapka Wrote: I think we can find a kinda twoway-Starter with this contract and the picks. We also have Boban and JJax.

Please list a few examples. Every legit two way starter, even if overpaid, is worth more than salary dumps like you propose (Lee 1 year to trade), back up like Wright and #18 pick. Either we take back bad salaries or we give more assets. Look at OPJ, for example. He is way overpaid. But he is also an expiring. So Chicago has absolutely no motivation to trade a good (when healthy) player for Wright, #18 and artificial salary (like Lee 1 year) to match the salaries.

Of course we always have an option to do nothing.

I can't. If you say an ok player, salary relief and a pick for an expiring contract are no motivation, there isn't any.

I had never thought, there is any chance to get KP for expirings and 2 Dallas picks.

There will be a GM trying to get rid of a bad contract or to get picks. Who it will be and when has to be seen. And maybe he will take another offer. But maybe we will get lucky (what meens being fast and prepared) again.

Illfitting players expiring 2021: Conley, Drummond, Love, Griffin,
OKC may want to cash a pick for Schröder or Adams, nobody can say how this Oladipo-situation goes on. Maybe SAS wants to get rid of DeRozan or even Aldrige. Aaron Gordon will be traded eventually.
Horford doesn't work in Philly. Rozier is overpayed and redundant.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - omahen - 05-18-2020

(05-18-2020, 04:47 AM)Mapka Wrote: Illfitting players expiring 2021: Conley, Drummond, Love, Griffin,
OKC may want to cash a pick for Schröder or Adams, nobody can say how this Oladipo-situation goes on. Maybe SAS wants to get rid of DeRozan or even Aldrige. Aaron Gordon will be traded eventually.
Horford doesn't work in Philly. Rozier is overpayed and redundant.

None of the Conley, Drummond, Love and Griffing fits to what we need. Conley really dropped of the cliff and was at a level of a back up PG last season. Love and Griffin are not expiring in 2021, they are on terrible contracts and they don't play defense. Drummond is just extremely bad fit.

We need a 3-D wing. Schroeder, Adams, DeRozan, Aldridge, Rozier are not it.  Gordon is, but I can safely say he is worth more than #18 and back up PG. 

Horford is interesting, but no way Philly is trading him just for salary dump. They want players back because they are in full win now mode. I am not giving THJ or any serious role player for Horford contract, even if they attach a pick and forgotten youngster like Zhaire Smith. However, if they attach Richardson...

Without going into top tier players, the profiles we are looking for:
- OPJ, Gordon, Oubre, Morris, Winslow, Richardson, Covington. None of them will be available without serious assets or players
- poor man options (trade): Osman, O'Neale, Aminu, Prince, Young
- free agents (poor man): Jones Jr, Hernangomez, J. Jackson, Harkless, Crowder

You are looking for the exact kind of player that is most wanted by every team. 
They come with massive gamble or massive overpay.
Or even worse with a combination of both.

I just think in our situation we are better of with a lesser or less variable player. Or an wait and see approach.
That's just my opinion and I can see your take as well.

Maybe one of your dollarstore-options is the way.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - JamesConway - 05-19-2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsWCyIrw1VY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3VoG-rYYdw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xh9G7Ps6a3c

What a wizard. I understand that we might have a bigger need for a real SF but I'd try hard to get Saric for the MLE. He was terrific in Philly when he was on a competitive squad. I'm sure we'd see more of that here alongside Luka & KP.

None of the FA wings really intrigues me much. Bazemore is more of a SG than a SF at 6'4/6'5, Derrick Jones Jr really can't shoot at all, Harkless is a meh shooter, Crowder has never mastered the three ball, etc.

I'd go for Dario first and if we're able to land him look at the rookies. Maybe one of the draft selections can grow into the rotation.

And then there's the Josh Jackson-idea. He was incredible at Kansas but has derailed his career. I wouldn't mind him as a reclamation project. He's about the age DFS was when he came out of college.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Hypermav - 05-19-2020

(05-19-2020, 02:26 PM)JamesConway Wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsWCyIrw1VY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3VoG-rYYdw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xh9G7Ps6a3c

What a wizard. I understand that we might have a bigger need for a real SF but I'd try hard to get Saric for the MLE. He was terrific in Philly when he was on a competitive squad. I'm sure we'd see more of that here alongside Luka & KP.

None of the FA wings really intrigues me much. Bazemore is more of a SG than a SF at 6'4/6'5, Derrick Jones Jr really can't shoot at all, Harkless is a meh shooter, Crowder has never mastered the three ball, etc.

I'd go for Dario first and if we're able to land him look at the rookies. Maybe one of the draft selections can grow into the rotation.

And then there's the Josh Jackson-idea. He was incredible at Kansas but has derailed his career. I wouldn't mind him as a reclamation project. He's about the age DFS was when he came out of college.
I don't like Bazemore.  I would be loathe to cheer for him on the Mavs.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - omahen - 05-19-2020

(05-19-2020, 02:26 PM)JamesConway Wrote: I understand that we might have a bigger need for a real SF but I'd try hard to get Saric for the MLE.

I totally agree. I also like Hernangomez as I think he is a better defender and shooter and never really had a chance to play for a serious team. He might be cheaper.

Going back to Saric, it basically comes down to Phoenix. If they move on from him in chase of a bigger star at PF position, his market could be at the MLE level as there are only a couple of teams with cap space this summer and they might be in chase for other targets. Assuming of course, that he chooses Dallas, because there will be no doubt many teams offering full MLE to him.

The other factor are the Mavs - is 2021 FA total priority or not. If yes, no long term contract will be given for MLE. This means younger guys like Saric and Hernangomez will most likely choose other options.