MavsBoard
2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart (/showthread.php?tid=206)

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - aguiar95 - 04-28-2020

(04-28-2020, 12:01 PM)omahen Wrote: Interesting The Athletic piece on Klye Anderson and how he doesn't really fit in Memphis. I am not really a fan but his playmaking could help our bench bunch. I would consider trading JJ for him. Even more so if Memphis would be willing to throw in a second rounder or two.

https://theathletic.com/1779291/2020/04/28/theres-a-place-for-kyle-anderson-in-the-nba-that-place-might-not-be-memphis/

Not intrested. He eats the cap in 21. I'd rather draft or sign the guy to help our bench.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - SleepingHero - 04-28-2020

(04-28-2020, 12:01 PM)omahen Wrote: Interesting The Athletic piece on Klye Anderson and how he doesn't really fit in Memphis. I am not really a fan but his playmaking could help our bench bunch. I would consider trading JJ for him. Even more so if Memphis would be willing to throw in a second rounder or two.

https://theathletic.com/1779291/2020/04/28/theres-a-place-for-kyle-anderson-in-the-nba-that-place-might-not-be-memphis/

I mean the question I have to ask is does Anderson bring any substantially better skills than Jackson right now? He's an above average playmaker, but this team isn't dying for playmaking with Luka taking the lions share, and with Wright/Barea as backup. So if we're trading him to be a playmaker, we're not really benefitting unless he takes minutes away from 1 of those 3. 

2nd thing is how much better is he at shooting? Surprisingly Anderson's splits aren't terrible FG% wise. He's shooting around a 50% from the floor. But he doesn't really take many shots at all. His career average is 4 shot attempts per game. And he's a horrid outside shooter. So he offers no spacing which is a huge knock for this team, as Jackson can at least post up outside and hit a wide open 3 occasionally.

One last attribute is that Anderson is an above-average defender with length, which is something this team needs. But at what cost? We already have a defensive minded forward who can't shoot a lick in MKG, and he's barely costing this team anything. Anderson contract starts at 9mil per year and runs through 2022. Is he really worth 6 million more each year than Jackson? 

Even if Memphis gave us picks, which they wouldn't because they're not angling for a salary dump right now, I'd be very hesitant to take any deal involving Anderson. Especially since we don't know the ramifications on the salary cap COVID is going to have for future free agencies. 

TL/DR No I don't want Anderson cause he's too expensive for what he brings and isn't that much better than what we have. And we don't know how much we need to save given the salary cap is definitely going down next year.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - JamesConway - 04-29-2020

Rudy Gay has a big $14M contract that expires right before the '21 FA-summer. He moved to PF almost exclusively at this stage of his career. He tore his achilles 2-3 years ago and while he was better in his first year back from the injury (18-19) he didn't have a terrible 19-20 campaign. We'd need another minimum salary filler but that should not be impossible to overcome.

If we decide to move on from Delon and can't find a better deal then I wouldn't mind giving the Spurs a call.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - omahen - 04-29-2020

(04-28-2020, 10:58 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: He's an above average playmaker, but this team isn't dying for playmaking with Luka taking the lions share, and with Wright/Barea as backup.

Thanks for the input. He would definitely not be a PG, I am thinking as secondary facilitator on the wing, playing behind DFS. While Luka is of course an alpha plamaker, Wright is certainly not it. 

(04-28-2020, 10:58 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: We already have a defensive minded forward who can't shoot a lick in MKG, and he's barely costing this team anything. Anderson contract starts at 9mil per year and runs through 2022. Is he really worth 6 million more each year than Jackson?

Offensively, he is certainly better than MKG and he actually costs just 4 mil than Jackson next season. The general idea of course is to get an asset for Jackson whom we are moving from anyway and (if we believe we can) increase Anderson value. But to be honest, I am also not a fan of his game.
(04-28-2020, 10:58 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: And we don't know how much we need to save given the salary cap is definitely going down next year.

I would say this is far from certain. It is of no one interest to have a one year crash of cap and then back to normal in 2021. So I am pretty sure this year loss will be offset over a couple of seasons without really lowering the cap for 2020.

Let me just clarify my positions here. I am not discussing what I think Mavs will do and how specific moves fit into what I think their plans are. I am discussing what I would do if I was Mavs. Of course Mavs have way more information, so that's why my ideas might be different basing on different assumptions.

IMO, I have to say that the 2021 free agent market is an illusion as far as max players are considered:
- I am 99% sure LeBron, CP3, George, Kawhi and Griffin will excercise their PO
- I am 99,99 % sure Davis will remain a Laker
- Lowry, Conley, DeRozan, Jrue and Hayward are not max players in 2021 due to their age or skill set
- the only max worthy players in that year are Gobert (bad fit anyway), Oladipo (if he comes back to his preinjury form) and The Freak. Smart teams will either resign them or trade them at 2020/21 season TDL. I consider Utah, Indiana and Milwaukee as very smart teams. 
- RFA max guys like Mitchell will resign with their current teams or will be traded

That being said, it becomes pretty obvious cap space for a max guy is not really needed. There are a bunch of up to 20 per worthy guys like Fournier, Oubre, Richardson, Winslow, THJ and Scroeder (plus all the vet guys mentioned before), but there will be also a huge number of teams with cap space competing for them. 

Mavs already have 84 mil of committed salary in 2021. If THJ is able to repeat this season, he should definitely be resigned at current level of money, which already puts Mavs way below the max cap space. 

Based on this I am ignoring the 2021 cap space and focusing on building asset base in 2020, because it looks like tradeable assets will be far more needed than cap space. This allows us further moves at TDL or in the summer of 2021. I think we desperately need more contracts. If Giannis miracoulously decides to come to Dallas by free agency, we can always orchestrate a SnT or clear cap space. Saving cap space because I hope I will be able to convince one of the few to come to Dallas, is a bad strategy imo.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - aguiar95 - 04-29-2020

(04-29-2020, 02:29 AM)JamesConway Wrote: Rudy Gay has a big $14M contract that expires right before the '21 FA-summer. He moved to PF almost exclusively at this stage of his career. He tore his achilles 2-3 years ago and while he was better in his first year back from the injury (18-19) he didn't have a terrible 19-20 campaign. We'd need another minimum salary filler but that should not be impossible to overcome.

If we decide to move on from Delon and can't find a better deal then I wouldn't mind giving the Spurs a call.

I think he fits really well and is a name I would be very intrested, the bad news is that Spurs have loads of guards (Murray/White/Walker/Mills) and I'm not sure they would be intrested in Wright. If we could find a way to dump both Jackson and Wright for a decent backup SF/PF, we should pull the trigger.

Sixers beat writer and fans are intensivelly shopping Horford, Richardson and #22 pick combination. They see odds of keeping Horford at 10 %. Their ideas:
- Hield, Barnes
- Dinwiddie, Harris, Musa
- Gordon, Covington
- Horford+ Richardson for Mike Conley + #24 pick

So once again I appeal to Mavs management: THJ+Wright+Jackson for Richardson, #22 and Horford Smile Then upgrade our #18 pick for a decent 3-D prospect and we are on the roll. 

https://theathletic.com/1781186/2020/04/29/sixers-mailbag-trades-worth-considering-zhaire-smith-okcs-pick-and-more/

Fan gem in the comments section: I really don't trust this FO to make the right decision, unless an equally (or more) incompetent FO is involved (looking at you, Vlade). Smile 

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Mavs2019 - 04-29-2020

(04-29-2020, 12:08 PM)omahen Wrote: Sixers beat writer and fans are intensivelly shopping Horford, Richardson and #22 pick combination. They see odds of keeping Horford at 10 %. Their ideas:
- Hield, Barnes
- Dinwiddie, Harris, Musa
- Gordon, Covington
- Horford+ Richardson for Mike Conley + #24 pick

So once again I appeal to Mavs management: THJ+Wright+Jackson for Richardson, #22 and Horford Smile Then upgrade our #18 pick for a decent 3-D prospect and we are on the roll. 

https://theathletic.com/1781186/2020/04/29/sixers-mailbag-trades-worth-considering-zhaire-smith-okcs-pick-and-more/

Fan gem in the comments section: I really don't trust this FO to make the right decision, unless an equally (or more) incompetent FO is involved (looking at you, Vlade). Smile 

Not sure what qualifies Vlade as a bad GM?

At worst he´s average. I´m not sure he has lost a trade yet.

Cousins for Hield + 1st + 2nd

#8 for Bogdanovic and #12

Randolph + Jackson for Barnes

Drafted Fox and Bagley.

Just shows you how difficult it is to build a winner.

(04-29-2020, 12:34 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: Not sure what qualifies Vlade as a bad GM?

1. Barnes is way overpaid.
2. Ariza, Joseph and Dedmon were all fails.
3. Really - you put Bagley on the list? Smile Skipping Doncic, Young and Jackson. Even a case for SGA could be made. 
4. Will be over the cap (once they resign Bogi) with a team that can't make play-offs.
5. Drafted WCS as 6th, Chriss as 8th

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - SleepingHero - 04-29-2020

(04-29-2020, 12:34 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: Not sure what qualifies Vlade as a bad GM?

At worst he´s average. I´m not sure he has lost a trade yet.

Cousins for Hield + 1st + 2nd

#8 for Bogdanovic and #12

Randolph + Jackson for Barnes

Drafted Fox and Bagley.

Just shows you how difficult it is to build a winner.

Vlade made 1 generational mistake in that list and we all know which one. That kind of mistake can haunt you for years.

Every game Luka shines is a reminder of a botched job Vlade did and the "what-if" scenarios run like wildfire. Now obviously I'm sure Vlade had his reasons, because there were some rumors pre-draft that Luka did not like Sacramento, but they were just rumors. Even if we ignore the Kings not choosing Luka, Bagley was arguably the worst choice they could've made at 2. Jaren Jackson Jr. is looking better than ever. Trae Young is the only guy keeping up with Luka. 

Bagley isn't even a bad pick, but compared to all the other top 5 picks he seems to be in a different class. 

Besides that super mistake, I think Vlade made another bad choice in re-signing Barnes to the contract he did. Everyone here would've told you that while Barnes was at least a solid player, he wasn't worth his contract. The Kings for some reason just resigned him to another 4 year/90 million deal. Which was a major overpay. There was no bidding war for Barnes. Plus, you have to question does Barnes even make the Kings better? Kings pre-Barnes were 28-26. Since Barnes has been in the starting lineup they're 39-53

Besides those 2 moves, I think he really turned the Kings around. Fox, Bogi, Bjelicia, Hield were all winning moves and the only reason why the Kings are on the cusp of success. Just goes to show just how hard it is to build a team. 

I also think Hield is about to be traded. Him and Walton to not mix. He fought for his contract with the FO and threatened to leave. He voiced his displeasure about coming off the bench. So if/when Hield gets traded, lets see how Vlade handles that.

(04-29-2020, 04:04 AM)omahen Wrote: Thanks for the input. He would definitely not be a PG, I am thinking as secondary facilitator on the wing, playing behind DFS. While Luka is of course an alpha plamaker, Wright is certainly not it. 
I see what you're saying, but what I meant was that his best quality is his playmaking, and if he was here he'd be relegated to a secondary facilitator like you said, which obviously means you're capping his best skill. If we wanted full value from Anderson, we'd have to put him as a primary facilitator, and we currently are filled up on those at the moment. So its basically my roundabout way of saying off the bat his fit isn't the best.

(04-29-2020, 04:04 AM)omahen Wrote: I would say this is far from certain. It is of no one interest to have a one year crash of cap and then back to normal in 2021. So I am pretty sure this year loss will be offset over a couple of seasons without really lowering the cap for 2020.

I mean I'm not saying is for certain regarding the salary cap. Quite the opposite. The fact is that the league has been put on hold and we just don't know how much it's costing them. It's estimated into the billions. It very well could have a minute effect on the cap and we won't notice anything, or it could significantly decrease it. We just don't know right now and taking on a pretty hefty contract for such a flawed player doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

One thing that we do know that will affect the cap is the fact at the beginning of this season (I know it felt like forever ago too) China pulled its connections to the NBA and reduced the cap projection by around 10%. 
(04-29-2020, 04:04 AM)omahen Wrote: Let me just clarify my positions here. I am not discussing what I think Mavs will do and how specific moves fit into what I think their plans are. I am discussing what I would do if I was Mavs. Of course Mavs have way more information, so that's why my ideas might be different basing on different assumptions.

And thats totally fine. I enjoyed your Anderson thinking game and the out-of-the-box way the Mavs could grab some extra assets. Keep the ideas coming and I'll bring mine and we can pick each others ideas apart!

(04-29-2020, 01:20 PM)omahen Wrote:

3. Really - you put Bagley on the list? Smile Skipping Doncic, Young and Jackson. Even a case for SGA could be made. 
4. Will be over the cap (once they resign Bogi) with a team that can't make play-offs.
1. Mavs paid him just as much.
2. Parsons, Matthews, Jordan were all fails.
3. We´ll see what happens with Bagley. Mavs skipped Mitchell, Adebayo and Collins. Even a case for Allen or Kuzma could be made to select DSJ. 
4. Not the only one.
5. He didn´t draft Chriss. He traded the pick for Bogdanovic and #13.

Just be happy, his big mistake was our biggest gain, but as I argued before, even the Mavs TRULY KNEW Luka was the 2nd coming of Jesus, they´d never have allowed themselves to end up in the 5th spot.

Also we´ll see what comes of Bagley. 14/8 in 25 MPG is pretty decent. Biggest problem is that he can´t stay healthy.

(04-29-2020, 04:56 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: 1. Mavs paid him just as much.
3. We´ll see what happens with Bagley. Mavs skipped Mitchell, Adebayo and Collins. Even a case for Allen or Kuzma could be made to select DSJ. 
4. Not the only one.

My claim was Vlade is not good in his role. Arguments that someone else is also making mistakes does not make him a good manager. 

1. Mavs ackowledged their mistake and moved on. Vlade repeated it.
2. They didn't happen in the same summer. Besides, Parsons and Matthews were injured. Jordan last year or 2016? Last year was not really a mistake since they gave him a 1 year deal which was used to get KP and THJ.
3. Half a league skipped those guys. A bit different than 2018 draft. If Luka and Bagley continue approximately same as they started, this will be in the same category as Portland drafting Bowie over Jordan.
4. So? 
5. My bad. But check out - he drafted Papagiannis. Were the rights to some European guy, former 2nd round pick, really so costly that this was the only way to get them? Although to be honest, it was a really weak draft class.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - ClutchDirk - 04-29-2020

(04-29-2020, 04:56 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote:
(04-29-2020, 01:20 PM)omahen Wrote:

1. Mavs paid him just as much.
4. Not the only one.

Just be happy, his big mistake was our biggest gain, but as I argued before, even the Mavs TRULY KNEW Luka was the 2nd coming of Jesus, they´d never have allowed themselves to end up in the 5th spot.

Also we´ll see what comes of Bagley. 14/8 in 25 MPG is pretty decent. Biggest problem is that he can´t stay healthy.
Matthews Jordan and DSJ got us THJ and KP...just sayin...

1 GM keeps making mistakes...the other made mistakes and took advantage of another team and got 1 Unicorn and 1 great starter while getting rid of the mistakes...

And the Kings committed to Vlade a couple weeks ago and he will continue as GM... Huh

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - SleepingHero - 04-29-2020

I don't think Vlade is the worst GM in the league, but the choices he's made his last couple of years have been downright awful.

(04-29-2020, 05:29 PM)omahen Wrote:
(04-29-2020, 04:56 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: 1. Mavs paid him just as much.
4. Not the only one.

My claim was Vlade is not good in his role. Arguments that someone else is also making mistakes does not make him a good manager. 

1. Mavs ackowledged their mistake and moved on. Vlade repeated it.
2. They didn't happen in the same summer. Besides, Parsons and Matthews were injured. Jordan last year or 2016? Last year was not really a mistake since they gave him a 1 year deal which was used to get KP and THJ.
3. Half a league skipped those guys. A bit different than 2018 draft. If Luka and Bagley continue approximately same as they started, this will be in the same category as Portland drafting Bowie over Jordan.
4. So? 
5. My bad. But check out - he drafted Papagiannis. Were the rights to some European guy, former 2nd round pick, really so costly that this was the only way to get them? Although to be honest, it was a really weak draft class.

I didn´t say he was good, I said he was average at worst.

18th best record in the league, playing in the better conference.

So why would he be the top target for a dumb TRADE as the "funny" comment references. Trading is actually the GM part, I´d say he´s good at. Yeah he made a mistake not taking Doncic, so did some other teams.

Basketball is a sport, where one decision can change everything. We´d probably be dead last in the West right now, if the Kings or Hawks take Doncic. Instead Donnie Nelson is a genius.

(04-29-2020, 07:12 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: Yeah he made a mistake not taking Doncic, so did some other teams.

Phoenix took Ayton which was a very safe bet for them as he was the one the owner wanted. Plus Ayton is a good player. Not Doncic good but still good. Atlanta took Young which has been phenomenal plus received a pick for it. So I guess the only other two teams who didn't take Doncic have a good case not to do it. Vlade is the only one that doesn't. 

(04-29-2020, 07:12 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: one decision can change everything

Don't turn it around, it is far from one decision. A lot of arguments were presented to you that Divac last couple of years are not really that great. Yes, Knicks are a bigger joke, Phoenix made some real funny moves lately, but Vlade is quite on par. 

Divac 1st round picks: Fox, Bagley, WCS, Papagianis (who?), M. Richardson (who?), Labissiere, Jackson, Giles. So two are good players (being #5 and #2), the rest are not even rotation guys or already totally out of the league. 

Good at trades? Franchise player Cousins was traded for Evans (out of league), Hield, Galloway, a 1st round pick that became Giles and Jackson (after trading Collins to Portland) and a second round pick (#34) that became Frank Mason III and was waived in 2019. I wouldn't really call this a great trade, compared to what (for example) New Orleans got for Davis or OKC for George. 

This trade is a gem: to clear cap space he traded Stauskas, Landry, Thompson, 1st round pick and 2 future pick swaps (one resulted in becoming Tatum) for the rights of two international guys that will never play in NBA. It is regarded by many as most lopsided trade in history (by Wikipedia). List of free agents signed is very long, but none of them left a significant mark.

(04-29-2020, 07:12 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: 18th best record in the league, playing in the better conference.

You know better than that. It is one thing to be 18th or worse in the league with clear way up because you are rebuilding. Sacramento has a long way to go even to get to the playoffs and they are not really in a rebuilding mode. Seems like this will be quite an achievement for this bunch with Fox and Bagley being the only young guys on the team. Future will be locked in big contracts of Hield, Barnes, (probably) Bogdanovic and following the ones of Fox and (most likely) Bagley. Sacramento hasn't seen playoffs since 05-06, the longest tenure.

In all his years Divac strategy seemed to be to build a competitive team and every year he fails. He is extremely active, doing many trades but none of them leads to either a rebuild or improved results. Year and year again the free agents he signs don't really make a difference, picks are mostly bad and trades don't really add value. 3 coaches were changed during his tenure and none was able to really turn it around. Yes, there are perhaps even worse cases in NBA. You always have the ultimate joke being Knicks. Still, we can safely say Divac is locked in the bottom five.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - omahen - 04-30-2020

Pelicans beat writer and John Hollinger are discussing possible deals for Jrue Holliday. They kind of agree, it would be best for the team to move him, because he doesn't fit the timeline of their main guys. Although they acknowledge, this is a very difficult decision, because he is incredibly liked and respected. 

They see Denver and Miami as most possible suitors and they mentioned following potential packages:
- Gary Harris + 2 first round picks from Denver
- 2020 1st, Herro, Olynik, Silva and Okpala from Miami

I don't think any of this packages is really that great and Dallas might be able to compete. So, how about Kleber+Wright+Jackson+2020 1st+2025 1st?

We can't offer young guys with high upside as Herro, but we can offer two hard working guys that could help their bad defense and complement the two stars (Zion, Infram) and one half star (Ball) they already have. 

Dallas on the other hand would become much more top heavy. Jrue is a very good fit with Luka and THJ and a starting five of Luka, Jrue, THJ, DFS and KP would be awesome. However, we would really deplete our asset chest to zero. MLE would need to bring a PF substitute for Kleber (Saric, Hernangomez, Crowder) that could also jump into the starting five, , but our bench would still lack a wing. So the bench would be Brunson, Curry, vet min wing, MLE, Powell. 

Another option would be to jump into a three team trade with Denver, if Harris is not a player that would satisfy New Orleans because his drop in last two seasons. However, I believe he would be a very good fit on Mavs because of his defense. So let's say:
Dal: Harris
Denver: Jrue
New Orleans: Kleber, Wright, Denver picks

This kind of deal would be a roll of dice on Harris but we keep picks and MLE to fill bench or that 5th starter role.

https://theathletic.com/1782272/2020/04/30/projecting-the-pelicans-future-with-former-nba-exec-john-hollinger-part-ii/

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - ClutchDirk - 04-30-2020

https://twitter.com/IanBegley/status/1255875828140912641

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - DanSchwartzgan - 04-30-2020

(04-30-2020, 07:03 AM)omahen Wrote: So, how about Kleber+Wright+Jackson+2020 1st+2025 1st?

What I found fascinating about this isn’t so much the target (Jrue) or your package.  That was all logical.  It is more about the timing that is best for team building.

As you note, you wipe out your bench to bring in that third star...or near star.  You then spend the MLE to refill part of the bench.  Now you are out of the 2021 FA sweepstakes...except using the MLE again.

Or, do you sit relatively tight this summer and save your powder for 2021?  You may or may not get someone quite of Jrue’s quality, but whatever you get, it doesn’t cost you your entire bench.

Or, do you add another couple of 5th man types on good contracts and set yourself up for a big trade in 21?

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - omahen - 05-01-2020

(04-30-2020, 08:30 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote:  It is more about the timing that is best for team building.

I totally agree that we are probably not in a position to pay so many assets for anyone as it really depletes our options. However, regarding the timing, I don't think it makes such a difference. Lets say Jrue is our target and we really want to have him. We have the following options:
1. Trade 2020 (as proposed)
2. He opts out and we sign him as FA in 2021
3. He opts in his final year and we trade for him in 2021

If he opts out, we need to create cap space to sign him. This basically means we need to let THJ go and this is a price to get Jrue. We can also assume he will cost vast majority of our cap space. Another thing is, he will definitely be locked in for 4 years, as he will look for this kind of contract at his age. We do keep our picks, Maxi and Wright in this case. Still, we would only replace one starter with another and we can assume some or all of those assets will be needed for the fourth starter.

If we trade for him in 2021, we can assume price will be same as it is now. So we are not really gaining anything by waiting a year. 

Trading for him immediately allows us to keep THJ and we basically have 4 excellent starters. A definite obstacle becomes Powell contract, as we just can't afford to pay this much for one role player in this kind of scenario.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - omahen - 05-01-2020

A couple of asset gathering ideas:

1. Wright for Aminu + #45 (assuming Aminu is healthy)
2. DFS+Jackson for Prince and #20. Salary dumping deal for Nets whitout really losing on court production. Prince had a bad season but proved he can be better. It gives us a more substantial contract to work with. #20 can be used to trade up in the draft.

A deal that Hollinger finds as interesting would be Wright+Jackson+#31 for Oubre. I would do that immediately.