MavsBoard
2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart (/showthread.php?tid=206)

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - aguiar95 - 03-25-2020

(03-24-2020, 05:15 PM)omahen Wrote: We discussed Collins once already. How about THJ, Brunson, 2020 1st, 2025 1st and whatever 2nd rounders needed? We would also get enough cap space for someone like Fournier, if cap remains approximately the same (let's be optimistic about that). 

I wouldn't mind that. The trade you proposed is almost the same as the one we landed KP. Trading every asset we have and paying max dollars for a future star (does Collins have the same value as KP?). We still have to account for Luka's max extension. I would rather have a decent guy on rookie contract and try to find a minor trade to upgrade our team. Also I think with this crisis, players (THJ, Fournier) will take their PO and become a 2021 FA. My dream upgrade is Grant (DEN). A S&T for Wright and our 1st. He's a Maxi 2.0 (3&D) that can play SF as well and to me would fit very nice into our team. If I were to trade for a star, CJ McCollum would be my target with the same package you proposed (maybe swap Brunson for Wright + Jackson to make the money work).

Luka/THJ/DFS/Grant/KP
Brunson/Curry/MLE (2nd rounder)/Kleber/WCS (Powell)

Luka/CJ/DFS/Maxi/KP
Brunson/Curry/MLE/2nd rounder/WCS (Powell)

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - omahen - 03-25-2020

(03-25-2020, 07:51 AM)aguiar95 Wrote: CJ McCollum would be my target

Here I have an issue. Is he really that much better than (this year) THJ? 

The "magic" of Collins trade is that his 2020 salary is still rookie, so we can still upgrade and find replacement for THJ. We would remain at cap level in 2020 and jump over the cap and into luxury after Collins and Luka extensions in 2021 and 2022. However, I heard Cuban is prepared to pay luxury tax for titles Smile

2022 situation puts us at some 148 mil with 7 players. I guess rest can be rookie or vet min:
Luka: 35
KP: 33
Collins: 33 (is he really worth max?)
Fournier: 17
Maxi, Powell, Seth: 30

Based on rising cap projections, this is not even that much over the luxury tax. I remain optimistic Corona virus impact will be short-term.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - aguiar95 - 03-25-2020

(03-25-2020, 08:17 AM)omahen Wrote:
(03-25-2020, 07:51 AM)aguiar95 Wrote: CJ McCollum would be my target

Here I have an issue. Is he really that much better than (this year) THJ? 

Again, not my first option (not even top 5), but I believe he would add another dimention to our offense. Secondary ball handler, can create his own shot. Teams can't double Luka that often. If he's confortable playing 35mpg, there should always be at least one of our big 3 on the court. Reliable come post season time. 9-man unit of Luka/CJ/DFS/Kleber/KP/Brunson/Curry/Harkless (MLE)/Powell (WCS) should give us a good chance against most teams.

But with the year THJ's having, I think the smart play this offseason is drafting our 2 picks (Vassell, Bey, Reed, Bolmaro, Nesmith, Smith, Carey, Pokusevski) and have a go with the same roster.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - DanSchwartzgan - 03-29-2020

Some Covid-19 implications regarding the upcoming offseason as I see them:

THJ will definitely opt into the final year of his deal.  That gives the team certainty for 2020, but keeping him in 21 eats into cap room.  I'm not sure it will matter as Dallas won't have enough room to fit in a max player in 21 in a reduced cap world.  Dallas could certainly extend THJ for additional years once he opts in.  Or, they could wait until the next summer (21) and see how things play out.  Depending on cap projections, it might serve both parties well to get something done sooner rather than later.

If the season is delayed, it is that much longer Powell has to rehab.

Giannis should take his super-max this summer with a short opt-out window.  Max deals (and super-max deals) are a percentage of the cap.  The cap will presumably be lower when his super-max kicks in than it will be the year after or the year after that.  Such a plan would likely make 22 or 23 the year to contend for his services.  He might not be the only player to extend rather than be free in 21 (see Beal, Bradley).  In uncertain times, take certainty.  If so, the great free agency year of 21 starts to look less attractive.

The Atlanta's of the world will still have significant cap room next summer.  But, there will be a bunch of players who projected to be in the $10-$17 million area who may have to take one year MLE deals.  That opens up an opportunity for good teams to use the MLE to get someone they might not have gotten otherwise.  Depending on the new cap, there might not be anyone with the cap room to go over the MLE except for a very few awful franchises.  At that point, free agents are shopping for situations to raise their profile to cash in the next summer.  If I were an agent and saw what Luka does for his teammates numbers, I might direct my guy to take money from Dallas.  

I see trading picks for good players as an even more viable path to upgrading.  Take Gallinari for instance.  Dallas and Miami reportedly wanted to extend him at his current $22mm salary int 20-21 and he said no wanting a long term deal this summer.  That contract will be harder to come by now, plus Dallas and Miami probably weren't contenders for his services on a multi-year basis as they were hoarding 21 cap space.  If most of the top 21 free agents are off the board, does it make sense to trade for a win-now over-the-MLE guy like Gallinari instead of waiting to use a reduced amount of 2021 cap space?  The other opportunity may be 2021 RFA's who think they deserve more than their current teams will be willing to pay.  Would it be better for their teams to get a player and some picks now?  Probably.

The draft is more of a crap-shoot than ever.  This could be an advantage if you have an inside track on someone (like we've had with certain Euro's over the years).  Or, it might mean we value the draft even less than usual.  If there was ever going to be a nuclear winter where weak hands sell assets, it might be this summer.  Many have said Dallas needs two more good players.  I think the path is to grab one using the MLE to get someone who wasn't projected to be within reach.  I think the other path is to grab a 2021 RFA that the current team is afraid to keep in trade using our draft assets.  I have thoughts on both strategies, but will save that for another day.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - omahen - 03-29-2020

(03-29-2020, 08:26 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: Some Covid-19 implications regarding the upcoming offseason as I see them:

THJ will definitely opt into the final year of his deal.  That gives the team certainty for 2020, but keeping him in 21 eats into cap room.  I'm not sure it will matter as Dallas won't have enough room to fit in a max player in 21 in a reduced cap world.  Dallas could certainly extend THJ for additional years once he opts in.  Or, they could wait until the next summer (21) and see how things play out.  Depending on cap projections, it might serve both parties well to get something done sooner rather than later.

If the season is delayed, it is that much longer Powell has to rehab.

Giannis should take his super-max this summer with a short opt-out window.  Max deals (and super-max deals) are a percentage of the cap.  The cap will presumably be lower when his super-max kicks in than it will be the year after or the year after that.  Such a plan would likely make 22 or 23 the year to contend for his services.  He might not be the only player to extend rather than be free in 21 (see Beal, Bradley).  In uncertain times, take certainty.  If so, the great free agency year of 21 starts to look less attractive.

The Atlanta's of the world will still have significant cap room next summer.  But, there will be a bunch of players who projected to be in the $10-$17 million area who may have to take one year MLE deals.  That opens up an opportunity for good teams to use the MLE to get someone they might not have gotten otherwise.  Depending on the new cap, there might not be anyone with the cap room to go over the MLE except for a very few awful franchises.  At that point, free agents are shopping for situations to raise their profile to cash in the next summer.  If I were an agent and saw what Luka does for his teammates numbers, I might direct my guy to take money from Dallas.  

I see trading picks for good players as an even more viable path to upgrading.  Take Gallinari for instance.  Dallas and Miami reportedly wanted to extend him at his current $22mm salary int 20-21 and he said no wanting a long term deal this summer.  That contract will be harder to come by now, plus Dallas and Miami probably weren't contenders for his services on a multi-year basis as they were hoarding 21 cap space.  If most of the top 21 free agents are off the board, does it make sense to trade for a win-now over-the-MLE guy like Gallinari instead of waiting to use a reduced amount of 2021 cap space?  The other opportunity may be 2021 RFA's who think they deserve more than their current teams will be willing to pay.  Would it be better for their teams to get a player and some picks now?  Probably.

The draft is more of a crap-shoot than ever.  This could be an advantage if you have an inside track on someone (like we've had with certain Euro's over the years).  Or, it might mean we value the draft even less than usual.  If there was ever going to be a nuclear winter where weak hands sell assets, it might be this summer.  Many have said Dallas needs two more good players.  I think the path is to grab one using the MLE to get someone who wasn't projected to be within reach.  I think the other path is to grab a 2021 RFA that the current team is afraid to keep in trade using our draft assets.  I have thoughts on both strategies, but will save that for another day.

Great to read these thoughts. A couple of other implications of considerably lower cap (if it happens):
1. Teams with bird rights will have huge advantage and those players are less likely to hit free agency. 
2. Cap space will become more valuable. While good players might not be willing to sign with dumpster fire teams like Charlotte or Atlanta, some teams with bloated contracts might be willing to pay to get rid of some good players on a bit too high contracts. Or at least give them away for nothing serious.
3. A couple of teams are already projected way over the old tax limit. Their tax bills might just become considerably higher. So teams like GSW, Philly, Brooklyn and Boston might be looking to reduce their salaries. 

Based on this a couple of thoughts:
- Philly tax bill will be huge. Their salaries will be at 147 mil in 2020 with just eleven players under contract . Season looks lost in any case for them and bigger changes might be coming. Either they trade one of Embiid/Simmons without taking considerable salary back or beg someone to take Horford or Harris. Teams with cap space might benefit from this. 
- Brooklyn is in a similar position. over 135 of salaries even if they renounce Temple and Pinson and with just 11 players under contract. I can't see them offering more than MLE to Harris (if even that much). I would explore SnT here, if I was them. Jordan contract is a disaster but he is buddy buddy with their stars, so they will be paying it. Dinwiddie will certainly opt out in 2021 and there is no way they will have money to resign him - so trade might be considered. Same goes for Allen. However, I find it difficult for Dallas to jump in on any action with Nets as we don't have cap space.
- For Boston Kanter and Theiss contracts might become too high to keep. Or they explore trading Hayward for less salary.

As for free agents. I am 99 % sure Gallo, Harkless, Bertans and Bogi are staying where they are, unless really good SnT offers come to the table. They will get over MLE and their teams can afford it. Harris and Harrell are over MLE guys, where their current teams most likely can't afford to pay it. Beasley will either stay in Minny or get a ridiculous offer from a desperate team with cap space (Detroit, Charlotte, Atlanta). Wood seems in similar situation. Vets like Gasol, Ibaka are unlikely to get offers above the MLE. Millsap is probably in the same situation. Favors market is a bit more difficult to estimate. There are plenty of interesting MLE or below players available: Poeltl, both Hernangomez brothers, Giles, Jones Jr. are UFA, Poeltl, Dunn, Valentine, Saric are RFA. They can all be considered to have an upside in a correct situation and role.

Dallas is in a solid position, but so are many other teams. We don't have cap space but we can afford to take more salaries. We have solid role players, but some of those contracts (like Wright) will be much less appealing in a lower tax cap situation. Combination of rookie scale contracts, picks and cap space is a winning combination in this period. 

We will have 11 players under contract if Barea retires and WCS opts out or 13 if both stay. MKG is gone imho. No one from main rotation is leaving, Powell will probably miss a chunk of next season while JJ and Bobi can be seen as guys on roles 11-15. PG position is full with Luka, Wright and Brunson (as long as we don't trade any of them) and SG with THJ and Seth. Both Wright and Brunson are too good to be third string PG, so I would look to trade one. We need back up center with plenty of vet min guys available - WCS is also just fine if he decides to stay. We are short on wing positions. One able to guard opponents best player on positions 1-3 and the other on positions 3-4. 

Jones Jr. could be interesting for guarding positions 1-3, but he has zero 3 - younger and less reliable version of DFS. Saric and Hernangomez could be interesting rotation guys for 3-4 position. Valentine could be interesting bench scoring spark. Unless a good trade opportunity happens, I would try to build a team like this:

PG: Luka, Wright, Brunson
SG: THJ, Seth, Valentine (half of MLE), Reeves
SF: DFS, #18 rookie, JJ
PF: Kleber, J. Hernangomez (half of MLE)
C: KP, WCS (or W. Hernangomez for vet min), Bobi

Two way: #31 rookie, whoever

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Tyler - 03-29-2020

(03-29-2020, 08:26 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: I'm not sure it will matter as Dallas won't have enough room to fit in a max player in 21 in a reduced cap world.

You're probably right, but since max contracts also shrink with a smaller cap it may not be as bad as it sounds. And it will be interesting to see how creative the NBA will be in maximizing revenue in the current situation.  They seem to be way more flexible than most of the other leagues, so I'm not writing them off just yet.

In any case, I do think a lot of the bigger names are more likely to move via trade than via straight free agency.  So flexibility and asset management is the name of the game rather than pure powder hoarding.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - ClutchDirk - 04-03-2020

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1246127222966161411

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - JamesConway - 04-06-2020

https://twitter.com/CBSSportsNBA/status/1246906896784777216?s=20

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - omahen - 04-10-2020

Trades I see as possible, some inspiration found in the piece below. Listed in no particular order.

1. Kleber, Wright (or Brunson) and a first round pick (either 2020 or 2025) for Gordon
Orlando needs a back up point guard (assunming MCW and Augustin will not stay) and 3 point shooting. PF is the last thing they need, but I am not giving Curry or THJ for Gordon. Defense would remain stellar for Orlando. For Dallas, Gordon is an upgrade over Kleber while Wright (or Brunson) is redundant. Still young and under reasonable contract. Not likely to happen, but we can always dream Smile 

2. THJ and Wright for Horford, Richardson
Philly gave Horford a criminal contract plus he is not a fit in the lineup with Harris and Embiid. Philly needs shooting and THJ provides that. Wright is a decent back up point guard. All in all, Philly saves some money and still improves on a short term. For Dallas, Horford is a type of PF we need and he probably still has a couple of decent years in him. He is excellent defender, winner, team first player and he can hit a three. Richardson is not lights out shooter as THJ was this season, but he is still a good offensive player and much better defender. Defense for Dallas would greatly improve while offense still has the potential to be great. Selling high on THJ in his contract year might not be a bad move.

3. THJ, Wright (or Brunson) 2020 first round, 2025 first round for Collins
Atlanta wants to "win now" (get to playoffs). They desperately need shooters. They also need a back up point guard who doesn't demand ball all the time. Collins might demand a max contract he is not worth for them in 2021. Dallas gets PF that fits. Plays defense, can hit a three and is a PnR player. Plus he is still very young. More importantly, his 2020/21 low salary enables Dallas to go after THJ replacement in free agency - Fournier would be my candidate. However, I don't see Atlanta realistically selling Collins before TDL.

4. Jackson+2020 1st for Osman
Dallas needs wings and Osman is one. He proved he can play, hit a three and is ok defensively. He is still young and on a very reasonable contract. I don't think he has a very high ceiling, but he is more ready to contribute than any #18 rookie will be. Cleveland takes a shot at someone with #18 who might have higher ceiling. Plus they have other wings to play.

5. Wright+2020 1st for Young
Young is a type of player we need. He is tough, plays defense and can hit a three. Wright is a type of player Chicago doesn't need, unless they let Dunn walk Smile Will be interesting to see what Karnisovas will do in Chicago. Change a coach and see what they have then start making moves at TDL or summer of 2021? Decide immediately LaVine or Markannen are not the star materials they need to contend?

6. Kleber and Wright for Gary Harris
Denver will probably aim higher if trading Gary Harris, but this could also be interesting for them. Kleber can replace Millsap role and solve Denver problem how to improve while resigning valuable role players of Plumlee and Grant. Wright is a solid back up. Harris had an awful couple of seasons compared to his salary and he was already shopped around. However, he still contributes, is still young and plays defense. Solid back up PF can still be found.

7. Wright 2020 or 2025 1st for Harrell (SnT)
Assuming Harrell really wants to come to Dallas, we should find a way to do it. If SnT is not possible, we can gift Wright and the pick to someone and sign him as a free agent. Clippers might not be able to resign him at some 15 per he will probably command on the market. He is an energy super bomb Dallas needs imho and fits nicely on both sides of court next to KP. 

8. THJ for Bledsoe
I think it is unlikely but we could give a it a thought. THJ fits more what Milwaukee needs offensively. He is expiring and makes Milwaukee life easier in 2021 and 2022 after Giannis extension. Bledsoe is a defensive bulldog and secondary facilitator Mavs need. Might be he adds more on defense than we lose on offense due to his worse shooting than THJ.

9. 2020 1st for Hart
Nola have somehow clogged guard rotation with Jrue, Ball, Reddick and young NAW. Would they be willing to resign him next year? Hart plays defense and deepens the rotation. Similar to Osman trade logic.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2885679-7-blockbuster-nba-trades-that-would-shake-things-up-in-2020-2#slide0

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - aguiar95 - 04-10-2020

(04-10-2020, 11:46 AM)omahen Wrote: Trades I see as possible, some inspiration found in the piece below. Listed in no particular order.

Great work man, I'll give my opinion:

1. I think there will be better packages for Gordon. There will be good backup forwards available for trades/signing to fill Maxi's void. YES to me.

2. I've really enjoyed KP playing the 5. Horford is playing the 4 in PHI and I don't like the fit (nor the contract). NO to me. 

3. Value is there (basically same trade as KP's but without salary dump), but I don't see them trading him. YES to me.

4. I really don't watch him as much, is he a positive on defense? He would be playing with the 2nd unit I assume. If he is. YES to me.

5. He is a good get, but we're giving too much. NO to me.

6. Harris is a good target, but not the right package. Can't see us playing small ball against good teams with Doncic/Harris/THJ/DFS. NO to me.

7. Another great target, this time I think we are not giving enough. YES to me.

8. I'd rather keep THJ. If not possible, I feel it's fair value but he is older. NO to me.

9. I haven't watched him in a while, but if he can play backup SF to DFS it's fair. YES to me.

Some trades I've worked out:

a) Wright for Young straight up. Doesn't mess with the 21 cap, they get a Dunn replacement and we add him to our depth (not sure he would get more minutes than he's already playing).

b) Wright, Jackson and our 2020 1st for Grant (S&T). Only way I see DEN trading him is to upgrade, so our 18th pick might help them get a good package for a great player, since ATL got Capela with the 16th. Maybe the same package for G. Harris? He messes with our 21 cap space though.

We don't have many assets. Full MLE guy must be a priority since everybody will have that.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - omahen - 04-10-2020

(04-10-2020, 05:21 PM)aguiar95 Wrote: Great work man, I'll give my opinion:

Thanks. Let me add some more thoughts.

1. Gordon has a lot of potential but he is still very raw. His shot is bad and will most likely stay that way, so the only way for him to justify his salary is to be a beast on defense and a rim runner on offense. I agree the package is weak, but I would be reluctant to add another first rounder. How about a package for Isaac, assuming he is healthy?: Brunson, 2020 1st, 2025 1st. I think he is much better player than Gordon.

2. I think Horford is excellent fit next to KP. He didn't work with Embiid because their game is similar. However, he and KP complement each other. Plus he would really lift our defense. His contract is awful, but my real target in this deal is Richardson, who is an excellent perimeter defender. Enter Richardson and Horford in our line-up and all of a sudden Luka would be the only guy with weak defense. Even inserting Curry instead of DFS would work. I don't think we can get just Richardson because THJ has higher salary and none of the other players makes Philly better. Out of all trades proposed, I actually like this one the most Smile

3. Yeah

4. He is ok, sort of like DFS. He would improve our wing rotation and is still young. Rookie might develop with time but Osman can contribute immediately. 

5.  Young value is higher than Wright as he is better player imho. No way Chicago does straight up trade. As long as we have Brunson, Wright is just redundant for Mavs (you basically don't lose anything trading him). Or the other way around.

6. Harris actually replaces DFS in the lineup as he would be the one guarding best opposing player on positions 1-2 and smaller 3. We would have to get a decent PF with our MLE or with rookie pick. Saric perhaps?

7. It all depends if he would really want to leave the Clippers. He is unrestricted so he controls the game. This way they at least get something.

8. Similar to Harris. Bledsoe is a much better defender than THJ (not saying THJ played bad defense), especially on ball. Perhaps we could get something more out of this kind of deal. I really like DJ Wilson.

9. Paying just #18 pick for him is a steal. He is already a solid rotation player and has room to grow. Plays defense. I think he is better than DFS, but can't cover strong SF or PF. 

Your ideas:
a) Already made a comment. He doesn't need to get more minutes. 
b) Good idea. However, Wright and JJ are more or less useless for Denver. They already have PG position covered with Murray and Morris, JJ trade value is unfortunately negative. I don't think Grant market value is more than some 12 per, so JJ and #18 might be enough salary wise for SnT to be done. Although I like the Harris idea, they would first explore options to "upgrade" him - Beal, Jrue and similar targets. These options realistically go away for them once they trade his salary. With Kleber as I proposed, they would at least get a Millsap or Grant replacement as they will have problems keeping both.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Mavs2019 - 04-11-2020

(04-06-2020, 04:39 AM)JamesConway Wrote: https://twitter.com/CBSSportsNBA/status/1246906896784777216?s=20

(04-10-2020, 11:46 AM)omahen Wrote: Trades I see as possible, some inspiration found in the piece below. Listed in no particular order.

1. Kleber, Wright (or Brunson) and a first round pick (either 2020 or 2025) for Gordon
Orlando needs a back up point guard (assunming MCW and Augustin will not stay) and 3 point shooting. PF is the last thing they need, but I am not giving Curry or THJ for Gordon. Defense would remain stellar for Orlando. For Dallas, Gordon is an upgrade over Kleber while Wright (or Brunson) is redundant. Still young and under reasonable contract. Not likely to happen, but we can always dream Smile 

2. THJ and Wright for Horford, Richardson
Philly gave Horford a criminal contract plus he is not a fit in the lineup with Harris and Embiid. Philly needs shooting and THJ provides that. Wright is a decent back up point guard. All in all, Philly saves some money and still improves on a short term. For Dallas, Horford is a type of PF we need and he probably still has a couple of decent years in him. He is excellent defender, winner, team first player and he can hit a three. Richardson is not lights out shooter as THJ was this season, but he is still a good offensive player and much better defender. Defense for Dallas would greatly improve while offense still has the potential to be great. Selling high on THJ in his contract year might not be a bad move.

3. THJ, Wright (or Brunson) 2020 first round, 2025 first round for Collins
Atlanta wants to "win now" (get to playoffs). They desperately need shooters. They also need a back up point guard who doesn't demand ball all the time. Collins might demand a max contract he is not worth for them in 2021. Dallas gets PF that fits. Plays defense, can hit a three and is a PnR player. Plus he is still very young. More importantly, his 2020/21 low salary enables Dallas to go after THJ replacement in free agency - Fournier would be my candidate. However, I don't see Atlanta realistically selling Collins before TDL.

4. Jackson+2020 1st for Osman
Dallas needs wings and Osman is one. He proved he can play, hit a three and is ok defensively. He is still young and on a very reasonable contract. I don't think he has a very high ceiling, but he is more ready to contribute than any #18 rookie will be. Cleveland takes a shot at someone with #18 who might have higher ceiling. Plus they have other wings to play.

5. Wright+2020 1st for Young
Young is a type of player we need. He is tough, plays defense and can hit a three. Wright is a type of player Chicago doesn't need, unless they let Dunn walk Smile Will be interesting to see what Karnisovas will do in Chicago. Change a coach and see what they have then start making moves at TDL or summer of 2021? Decide immediately LaVine or Markannen are not the star materials they need to contend?

6. Kleber and Wright for Gary Harris
Denver will probably aim higher if trading Gary Harris, but this could also be interesting for them. Kleber can replace Millsap role and solve Denver problem how to improve while resigning valuable role players of Plumlee and Grant. Wright is a solid back up. Harris had an awful couple of seasons compared to his salary and he was already shopped around. However, he still contributes, is still young and plays defense. Solid back up PF can still be found.

7. Wright 2020 or 2025 1st for Harrell (SnT)
Assuming Harrell really wants to come to Dallas, we should find a way to do it. If SnT is not possible, we can gift Wright and the pick to someone and sign him as a free agent. Clippers might not be able to resign him at some 15 per he will probably command on the market. He is an energy super bomb Dallas needs imho and fits nicely on both sides of court next to KP. 

8. THJ for Bledsoe
I think it is unlikely but we could give a it a thought. THJ fits more what Milwaukee needs offensively. He is expiring and makes Milwaukee life easier in 2021 and 2022 after Giannis extension. Bledsoe is a defensive bulldog and secondary facilitator Mavs need. Might be he adds more on defense than we lose on offense due to his worse shooting than THJ.

9. 2020 1st for Hart
Nola have somehow clogged guard rotation with Jrue, Ball, Reddick and young NAW. Would they be willing to resign him next year? Hart plays defense and deepens the rotation. Similar to Osman trade logic.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2885679-7-blockbuster-nba-trades-that-would-shake-things-up-in-2020-2#slide0

I´ll just reject all the trades that involve a 1st round pick. The talent upgrade with (4), (5) and (9) is just not worth giving up a mid  1st round pick in a deep, unpredictable draft made only more complicated by the circumstances. I´d have faith in the Mavs to find better value than Osman and Young, maybe Hart.

On the other side if we have the means to threaten an outright signing of Harrell (7), then we don´t need to give up anything.

I like John Collins (3), but the price is too high again imho. Salaries not anywhere close to a match.

Gordon (1) for Kleber, Brunson and a 1st round pick is too much. I´d consider it for Kleber, Wright and 1st rounder, since Gordon is on a value contract, too. Given that Orlando is full of PF/Cs already, maybe Curry is a more logical choice than Kleber here. Though Curry then burns a hole into our backcourt scoring/shooting.

I´m a Gary Harris (6) stan, but you´d really bank on him getting back to his old self, otherwise you just did a 1 for 1 swap with Wright and gifted them Kleber in the process, especially when it´s unclear what the reason is for the complete reversal of his career trajectory. #information disadvantage

(9) I have no real opinion either way.  Question is what it does to our balance. Defense will obviously improve, but you also add a non-shooter in the backcourt.  It also means you give up on free agency 2021 and if you do that, then commit fully.

Therefore I´m a fan of trade (2). I think Richardson is the perfect partner for Doncic. I think the Sixers system is a poor fit for Horford. He can´t add much defensively, team can´t shoot and Simmons dominates the ball. Carlisle is also a better coach than Brown. Only concerns would be the defensive mobility of the team with Horford/Porzingis together. Nobody can deny he´s a leader and a winner. Two NCAA championships, 12 years in the play-offs out of 13 years in the NBA.

I can see a world, where

Doncic/Brunson
Richardson/Curry
DFS/Jackson(Lee)
Horford/Kleber
Porzingis/WCS

is a title contender (on a level playing field ignoring the LA bias and Houston star power).

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - omahen - 04-11-2020

(04-11-2020, 02:39 AM)Mavs2019 Wrote: On the other side if we have the means to threaten an outright signing of Harrell (7), then we don´t need to give up anything.

We don't have. We can't have 15 mil of cap space without getting rid of some guys. SnT is realistically the only option

(04-11-2020, 02:39 AM)Mavs2019 Wrote: I like John Collins (3), but the price is too high again imho. Salaries not anywhere close to a match.

They don't need to match. Atl has as much cap space as you want, so they can take all the salaries. 

(04-11-2020, 02:39 AM)Mavs2019 Wrote: I´m a Gary Harris (6) stan, but you´d really bank on him getting back to his old self, otherwise you just did a 1 for 1 swap with Wright and gifted them Kleber in the process

Even in his bad season, Harris is still way better player than Wright. Not even close. So there is no way one could say you are gifting Kleber
(04-11-2020, 02:39 AM)Mavs2019 Wrote: I can see a world, where

Don't forget we still keep the pick and MLE in this scenario. I am also a fan of this scenario, despite Horford contract. And it might actually be interesting for Philly too.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - jesusshuttlesworth82 - 04-11-2020

1. If I'm the Mavs, I'm not giving up Kleber unless it's a clear upgrade.  If I'm the Magic, I already have Issac.  If I'm the Nuggets, I already have Jerami Grant.  Doesn't make sense for any of the parties involved.

2.  Hell no to Al Horford's contract.

3.  Bledsoe is in his 30s and not a good shooter.  

I think Gary Harris is an interesting name if the Nuggets want to dump his contract seeing as how Barton has been much better and the Mavs/Carlisle think they can fix him with a change of scenery and would rather invest in him than THJ.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - omahen - 04-11-2020

(04-11-2020, 12:00 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: If I'm the Mavs, I'm not giving up Kleber unless it's a clear upgrade.  If I'm the Magic, I already have Issac.  If I'm the Nuggets, I already have Jerami Grant.  Doesn't make sense for any of the parties involved.

I think both Gordon or Harris are clear upgrades over Kleber. Kleber was not proposed in the Isaac trade. He was in the Gordon trade with a disclaimer, that Orlando doesn't need PF (but other pieces were also involved). Nuggets actualy have zero PF if Grant opts out. Kleber is cheaper option than both Millsap or Grant. So it actually does make sense for them. Plus they can get rid of Harris contract if they want to move away from him.

(04-11-2020, 12:00 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: Bledsoe is in his 30s and not a good shooter.

Let's be accurate. Bledsoe just turned 30. True, he is not a good shooter, but he is a great defensive player. Something Dallas needs. As I said, we could actually get even something more out of this trade to make it a fair trade.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - aguiar95 - 04-12-2020

Assuming THJ opts in and WCS opts out, that's 11 players under contract.

What roster would you REALISTICALLY have for us next season (FA, Trades, Draft)? To me it will be somthing like this:

Sign: If we don't draft an SF: Harkless or Bazemore (MLE) if we don't draft a PF: Millsap or Saric (MLE).
Lee or Giles or Vonleh or Rivero that was reported for a minimun contract.

Draft: 18 (Reed, T.Bey or Pokusevski) 31 (Bolmaro, Smith, Perry).
Trade: No trades, unless we really like someone in the draft (maybe a couple of 2nds to move up a bit) or are not intrested in drafting at all.

Leaves us with:

Doncic/THJ/DFS/Kleber/KP
Wright/Curry/MLE/1st rounder/Powell
Brunson/2nd rounder/Jackson/minimun/Boban

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - omahen - 04-12-2020

(04-12-2020, 09:16 AM)aguiar95 Wrote: What roster would you REALISTICALLY have for us next season

Huh, that is a tough one, because there are so many options. Out of the 11 players left, we definitely have one good PG too many as neither Brunson or Wright deserve to be a third string PG, however neither can play a good SG. So I would definitiely seek for an adjustment here. There are also a lot of MLE or lower players that could be intriguing and it is difficult to predict whether they would demand a full MLE or just part of it on the market. Players I like in this range are: J. Hernangomez, Valentine, D. Jones Jr., Saric, Dunn, J. Holiday. All of them could perform very well when given the correct role. I dream of snatching both Hernangomez and Valentine (each for half of MLE), but it might be too low. So I go with the first. I doubt experienced veterans like Milsap, Ibaka or Gasol will drop to MLE level. If it happens, I am certain it would only be with their current team. If there is mutual love between Mavs and either Gallo, Fournier or Harrell, Mavs should find a way to either clear cap space or create SnT. If we keep the pick, I would definitely aim for best 3-D SF or SG - based on the scouting reports, there seem to be a lot of options out there. I would give Reeves a chance. And I would trade THJ/Wright+JJ (to match salaries) for Richardson/Horford. Despite what some may think about his contract, his impact on the team would go far beyond stat numbers. Luka and KP need this kind of mentor. 

Oh, one last thing. I don't give a rats ass about 2021 cap space. I believe this team is ready to compete now and holds enough assets to remain competitive over some time. 

Luka, Brunson, Barea (or another vet min)
Richardson, Curry, Reeves
DFS, Hernangomez, #18
Horford, Kleber, Powell
KP, Hernangomez, Boban

Capwise, this team gets us to some 130 mil in 2020, which is probably below luxury tax, unless cap is reduced drastically. I doubt it will, because it is of no one interest - I guess they will distribute this year losses over next couple of years so that cap will not rise some time once things get back to normal. 

In 2021 we basicall need to resign Richardson, which will, together with other higher salaries, add some 10 mil to the cap figure. At this point, Powell is totally redundant, so I would explore shipping him away. Our roster will allow a lot of possibilities in trades, as the team is very deep. When Luka extension kicks in in 2022, we will be deep in the tax. But I guess that is a price if you want to contend. We could explore shipping Horford for a cheaper option.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - JamesConway - 04-12-2020

https://twitter.com/Sportando/status/1249028997373100039?s=20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzxIHE9CZfc

(04-12-2020, 10:38 AM)omahen Wrote:
(04-12-2020, 09:16 AM)aguiar95 Wrote: What roster would you REALISTICALLY have for us next season

Huh, that is a tough one, because there are so many options. Out of the 11 players left, we definitely have one good PG too many as neither Brunson or Wright deserve to be a third string PG, however neither can play a good SG. So I would definitiely seek for an adjustment here. There are also a lot of MLE or lower players that could be intriguing and it is difficult to predict whether they would demand a full MLE or just part of it on the market. Players I like in this range are: J. Hernangomez, Valentine, D. Jones Jr., Saric, Dunn, J. Holiday. All of them could perform very well when given the correct role. I dream of snatching both Hernangomez and Valentine (each for half of MLE), but it might be too low. So I go with the first. I doubt experienced veterans like Milsap, Ibaka or Gasol will drop to MLE level. If it happens, I am certain it would only be with their current team. If there is mutual love between Mavs and either Gallo, Fournier or Harrell, Mavs should find a way to either clear cap space or create SnT. If we keep the pick, I would definitely aim for best 3-D SF or SG - based on the scouting reports, there seem to be a lot of options out there. I would give Reeves a chance. And I would trade THJ/Wright+JJ (to match salaries) for Richardson/Horford. Despite what some may think about his contract, his impact on the team would go far beyond stat numbers. Luka and KP need this kind of mentor. 

Oh, one last thing. I don't give a rats ass about 2021 cap space. I believe this team is ready to compete now and holds enough assets to remain competitive over some time. 

Luka, Brunson, Barea (or another vet min)
Richardson, Curry, Reeves
DFS, Hernangomez, #18
Horford, Kleber, Powell
KP, Hernangomez, Boban

Capwise, this team gets us to some 130 mil in 2020, which is probably below luxury tax, unless cap is reduced drastically. I doubt it will, because it is of no one interest - I guess they will distribute this year losses over next couple of years so that cap will not rise some time once things get back to normal. 

In 2021 we basicall need to resign Richardson, which will, together with other higher salaries, add some 10 mil to the cap figure. At this point, Powell is totally redundant, so I would explore shipping him away. Our roster will allow a lot of possibilities in trades, as the team is very deep. When Luka extension kicks in in 2022, we will be deep in the tax. But I guess that is a price if you want to contend. We could explore shipping Horford for a cheaper option.
Richardson is intrigueing due to fit (wing, good defender, can shoot it, even score a bit, high motor & athleticism) and contractual situation (player option for 21-22 which he will most likely decline so he's basically an expiring contract). Philly's payroll is already bloated so you gotta wonder what they will do with him.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - omahen - 04-12-2020

(04-12-2020, 12:48 PM)JamesConway Wrote: Richardson is intrigueing due to fit (wing, good defender, can shoot it, even score a bit, high motor & athleticism) and contractual situation (player option for 21-22 which he will most likely decline so he's basically an expiring contract). Philly's payroll is already bloated so you gotta wonder what they will do with him.

Rivero doesn't look as anything close to contributing on a contender. He is not relevant even in Spanish liga ACB. So, perhaps they are interested as summer league player, I doubt anything more. 

Regarding Richardson, I think it is likely Philly will move him, because they can't resign him. Unless of course, they reduce their payload by giving away any of their 4 highest paid players. But that doesn't make them better. I added Horford to the mix, because it is a move that benefits both sides.

Although, if I think about it more. Curry + pick(s) for Richardson might also be interesting for both sides. Luka, THJ, Richardson, DFS (or Kleber), KP would also be a very good line-up. But, we would deseprately need to add a couple of good bench pieces. I doubt Philly would go for Wright+picks. If he would be expiring yes, but he isn't.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - JamesConway - 04-12-2020

BTW: does any team hold the rights to Mirotic?

If he decides to return to the Nba he‘d be highly intrigueing. I haven’t followed him at all but that’s always a name to keep in the back of our heads.