MavsBoard
2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart (/showthread.php?tid=206)

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - SkenfromLMF - 02-07-2020

Unless Luka is out due to injury, this team better push hard. The last thing we want Luka to experience is a Losing Mentality in Dallas, which drives him to pursue his FA ASAP. We want Luka to experience winning and have that be his connection to the Mavs!

Luka wants to win and Dallas needs to keep him happy - that is why this TDL is so frustrating!

Luka ain't Dirk when it comes to loyalty, and we better not forget that.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - ItsGoTime - 02-07-2020

First, we don’t have a pick next year, NY has that. Second, I know this is not your actual thought, seems to me like it’s sour grapes and an attempt to rile up those that think differently and have expressed those differences to you today. The tanking strategy holds no water because playoff experience means a great deal to anyone on the team that will be here when we are contending.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Branduil - 02-07-2020

The Mavs have their pick in the 2020 draft.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - DanSchwartzgan - 02-07-2020

DALLAS MAVERICKS

OVERALL: The normally frisky Mavs were quiet this deadline. They inquired about Alex Len before Atlanta shipped him to Sacramento; even though Dallas got Willie Cauley Stein last month, it was looking for another big who could shoot in place of Dwight Powell for the stretch run. There was scuttlebutt in the air that Delon Wright and/or Justin Jackson were very available, but the Mavs, uncharacteristically, stood pat, letting a trade exception of almost $12 million expire rather than packaging Courtney Lee’s expiring deal for a vet who could have fit into the exception.

The above is from David Aldridge.  It adds to other things we know or believe likely:

We wanted Green, but the NY/LAL deal didn't happen
We were willing to take on another cheap expiring center (Len) who can shoot (a little).  Probably just insurance.
Wright and/or Jackson were available

Green shows an acquisition needs to be able to BOTH hit a three and play D (or have a defensive reputation).  Neither age nor money extending into 20/21 seemed to matter for the right guy.  In fact, if we truly inquired about Covington, money beyond 2021 wasn't an issue for the right guy.  Covington expires in 2022 (more on this in a moment)  We also know that Cuban doesn't value picks and that we won't be a cap room team at the draft or in July.  There is plenty of space to make trades and use the full MLE without getting anywhere near the Luxury Tax.

I suspect the S&T and the opt-in and trade markets will be quite robust.  Almost no one is going to have more than the MLE this summer, so player movement (even RFA movement) for anyone deserving more than about $10 million will be through trade (think deals like the Wright deal where we got an RFA who could have otherwise been matched).  The other hot part of the market is likely to be good players who expire in 2021.  For example, someone like Fournier could be traded either as an opt-in and trade in June or a S&T in July.  If he opts-in he also fits the mold of a 2021 expiring contract.  The combination of Wright and Jackson matches Fournier and gets you out of significant salary and cap hold for 2021.  

Pretty much the entire league will be looking for the same guy though as many teams are prioritizing 2021 cap space.  If Cuban wants to zig where others zag, the best deals in the market will likely be guys whose money extends to 2022.  Sticking with the Orlando theme of this post, Gordon is a player who might go cheaper than he would otherwise because his money runs "too long".  If you look closely at the Mav's future cap, 2022 shows KP making big money, Luka with a $25mm cap hold and money owed to Seth and Powell.  Note that Maxi has a non-guarantee this year with a 7/3 decision day (time enough to secure a commitment from a Max guy before deciding.  It wouldn't shock me to see Dallas try to accumulate assets on reasonable deals with an eye toward 2022 (while remaining flexible for 2021).  For instance, Gordon is the kind of guy whose value could be enhanced in Dallas...making him both a trade chip in 2021...while at the same time being an expiring deal in 2022.  If that is the case, then the MLE might go to someone not quite deserving that amount, but willing to do a 2/1 instead of three guaranteed years.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - omahen - 02-07-2020

(02-07-2020, 08:29 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: It wouldn't shock me to see Dallas try to accumulate assets on reasonable deals with an eye toward 2022 (while remaining flexible for 2021).  For instance, Gordon is the kind of guy whose value could be enhanced in Dallas...making him both a trade chip in 2021...while at the same time being an expiring deal in 2022.  If that is the case, then the MLE might go to someone not quite deserving that amount, but willing to do a 2/1 instead of three guaranteed years.

Unless they are tampering like crazy and have written agreement from Giannis that he will come in 2021, I trully hope this will be their strategy. Building on a pipedream is so idiotic. If Giannis decides to go to Dallas in 2021, you can give away everything to create cap space for him, as you have a contender with Luka, KP, Giannis and 12 scrubs.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - HanspardsShowerVoice - 02-07-2020

The Warriors got D'Lo in a SnT for Durant from the Nets instead of letting Durant walk away for nothing.

(02-06-2020, 08:05 PM)haveitall Wrote: Sometimes the best deal is the deal that you don’t make.  Dallas  has a good young core with chemistry. Not one player traded today would get Dallas a championship.

Seriously, thank God we got the pros at the poker table like Voulgaris, rather than the easy marks who think you have to play every hand.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - dirkfansince1998 - 02-07-2020

Mavs have to watch the Philly situation. It´s getting worse every day. Imploding locker room combined with lack of on court success. If they don´t make the ECF this year they have to change something. Meaning that they have to trade Embiid or Simmons. A few weeks ago I would have said that they keep Embiid. Now I am not sure anymore.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - cjeter24 - 02-07-2020

(02-07-2020, 09:15 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Mavs have to watch the Philly situation. It´s getting worse every day. Imploding locker room combined with lack of on court success. If they don´t make the ECF this year they have to change something. Meaning that they have to trade Embiid or Simmons. A few weeks ago I would have said that they keep Embiid. Now I am not sure anymore.

This is a good example of why the mavs might win playing the long game here. I’ve been saying it since last summer. The mavs are accumulating assets after having none left with the KP trade while finding quality players on value deals. It’s turned into a really solid team already while maintaining flexibility. Yeah I wish they would have signed this guy or that. But they clearly have a vision for the type of guy they want too. That’s why you didn’t see us after a guy like Morris. 

But back to the original point. If the mavs continue on this path, chances are they are going to find a way to capitalize on one of this situations blowing up like Philly. Maybe it’s Beal. Maybe it’s McCollum. Maybe it’s Giannis in 2021. It could be a number of unthought of guys hitting the market. Who had westbrook and George trades even thought of at this point last year?

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - SkenfromLMF - 02-07-2020

I get the distinct impression that the reason we did not pursue Morris is that the Knicks refused to involve the Mavericks in any deal. According to Dolan's tweet they refused the Danny Green angle on Morris because the Lakers intended to ship Green to Dallas in the deal. They own our pick in '21 and they were taking no chances it would improve...
That and they are probably salty that KP and Hardaway are outperforming any other pieces involved in the trade. Most teams lose trades in which they give up the best player... Ultimately ALL teams lose the trade when they give up the best and second best players in the trade.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - fifteenth - 02-07-2020

(02-07-2020, 10:05 AM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: According to Dolan's tweet they refused the Danny Green angle on Morris because the Lakers intended to ship Green to Dallas in the deal.

I didn't see that tweet. I got the idea that the Mavs missed on Green because the Clippers beat the Lakers to the trade.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - omahen - 02-07-2020

(02-07-2020, 09:52 AM)cjeter24 Wrote: This is a good example of why the mavs might win playing the long game here.

All true. But superstars are not growing on trees. We will have two firsts to offer, one of them already drafted. You can imagine teams like OKC and New Orleans can offer 3 or 4 first rounders without even blinking, while they have players of at least equal value. This is a perfect example how Dallas is playing a meh long game here, not going after additional assets. I guess the only realistic option is SnT.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Baller AI - 02-07-2020

(02-07-2020, 04:51 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: First, we don’t have a pick next year, NY has that. Second, I know this is not your actual thought, seems to me like it’s sour grapes and an attempt to rile up those that think differently and have expressed those differences to you today. The tanking strategy holds no water because playoff experience means a great deal to anyone on the team that will be here when we are contending.

Nah, I was under the impression we had our first. I saw someone mention that one of the benefits of not using the GS 2nd in a trade this season, is that we can package it with our first next summer. I def should have verified this, my bad

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Mavs2019 - 02-07-2020

(02-07-2020, 10:05 AM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: According to Dolan's tweet they refused the Danny Green angle on Morris because the Lakers intended to ship Green to Dallas in the deal.
 Between Porzingis, refusing to send us another DeAndre Jordan and drafting Ntillikina (giving the Mavs a chance to draft a stud like Mitchell or Bam, Angry ) I think we might have to consider that Dolan is a great owner, just not for the Knicks. Big Grin

(02-07-2020, 09:52 AM)cjeter24 Wrote:
(02-07-2020, 09:15 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Mavs have to watch the Philly situation. It´s getting worse every day. Imploding locker room combined with lack of on court success. If they don´t make the ECF this year they have to change something. Meaning that they have to trade Embiid or Simmons. A few weeks ago I would have said that they keep Embiid. Now I am not sure anymore.

This is a good example of why the mavs might win playing the long game here. I’ve been saying it since last summer. The mavs are accumulating assets after having none left with the KP trade while finding quality players on value deals. It’s turned into a really solid team already while maintaining flexibility. Yeah I wish they would have signed this guy or that. But they clearly have a vision for the type of guy they want too. That’s why you didn’t see us after a guy like Morris. 

But back to the original point. If the mavs continue on this path, chances are they are going to find a way to capitalize on one of this situations blowing up like Philly. Maybe it’s Beal. Maybe it’s McCollum. Maybe it’s Giannis in 2021. It could be a number of unthought of guys hitting the market. Who had westbrook and George trades even thought of at this point last year?

as ideal as that would be, I’m not sure anyone can say confidently that “chances are” we will get any of those guys. In fact, based this teams history, the chances are that we won’t get any of those guys and end up trading for guys around the same level as the guys we could have gotten this year. Maybe the options next year fit the what the Mavs are looking for more than this year, which I believe is relatively young roleplayers with potential to improve. It seems like they are content with Barea being our veteran presence. I don’t necessarily agree with this because I think you want vets at each position, to help the young fellas win in the playoffs, but only time will tell if the Mavs plan works out or not. Wouldn’t surprise me if they end up making more stupid excuses like they did this time, saying whiffing on green twice was the reason they made no moves.

Also i don’t think anyone is upset that they made no moves. It’s because they wasted the value of Lee’s expiring and the rest of the TPE. Using that could have brought in more assets to help us win now, and/or use in trades next year. It was a bad call from all angles. I personally did not want to trade anyone else outside of Jackson, barring something crazy.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - HanspardsShowerVoice - 02-07-2020

(02-07-2020, 10:05 AM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: I get the distinct impression that the reason we did not pursue Morris is that the Knicks refused to involve the Mavericks in any deal. According to Dolan's tweet they refused the Danny Green angle on Morris because the Lakers intended to ship Green to Dallas in the deal. They own our pick in '21 and they were taking no chances it would improve...
That and they are probably salty that KP and Hardaway are outperforming any other pieces involved in the trade. Most teams lose trades in which they give up the best player... Ultimately ALL teams lose the trade when they give up the best and second best players in the trade.

Not to mention that DSJ was damaged goods, mentally if not physically, and  DAJ might have been pivotal and talking KD/Kyrie into the Nets and out of the Knicks.  Many organizations wouldn't be petty enough to let a bad trade linger into future transactions like that, but Dolan would not be.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Kammrath - 02-07-2020

https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1225858149057429504

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - dirkfansince1998 - 02-07-2020

(02-07-2020, 02:59 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1225858149057429504

I don´t think he ever published or posted anything critical. That´s why they keep him around.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Kammrath - 02-07-2020

https://twitter.com/NickVanExit/status/1225903459783892993

(02-07-2020, 02:59 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1225858149057429504

why is this dudes opinion any more valid than any of ours hahha? Unless Brad is a time traveler from the future xD

Nobody can say if its good or bad until it all plays out and we can reflect on it. The only definitively bad call was wasting Lee’s expiring and the reminder of the Barnes TPE. Other than that, only time will tell

Was the mavs starting Lee tonight some kind of justification for him not being traded? Are they really trying that hard to save face by acting like he deserves to start? They did the same bs when Rondo fucked us over. They signed dwight to that absurd contract to make it seem like we still won that trade, no offense to dwight who I think is a very good player for his role; even before the injur it was a bad contract. Next Cuban or whoever decides to tell the press that we were so close to getting Green, as if that excuses our failure to build a contender This year. Nobody cares what we were close to doing, it is irrelevant. All it is, once again, is the Mavs trying to save face for their mistakes. They need to own up for their mistakes and learn from them, not try to act like they are perfect and its just bad luck causing the team to not be where it needs to be.

Moreover, we are not a loyal organization, idk why we feel the need to pretend we are by letting that interfere with contracts and real matters. Look what we did to Tyson and Devin, to the 2011 championship team, that is not what a loyal franchise does. We didn’t even give them a chance to run it back. Theres nothing wrong with making the right business decision, but be real and tell it how it is. Right now the only player that truly deserves our loyalty is Luka And to a lesser degree KP. And if we don’t show him loyalty by surrounding him with a contender, he will definitely leave. Luka will not care how “close” we were to signing Giannis or whichever pipe dream FA, its all the same stale excuses we hear every single year. And I promise you if he leaves, the Mavs will make some bs excuse and deflect the blame like always, and so will a lot of you that idolize our meh FO

Create a contender, show your superstars and other superstars that you want to win, and they will be loyal to you and talent will be drawn to you naturally. Dirk was a fluke, it is extremely rare to have a player so loyal that he puts up with a mediocre FO like ours, his entire career. A FO that only really gave him a contender 2 years out of his 21 year career, thats how loyal of a franchise we were to Dirk (arguably the most loyal player ever who even took MASSIVE paycuts to help our incompetent FO). Luka is not Dirk, and he shouldn’t be if we don’t earn his loyalty.

By not bringing in help or utilizing our chips to get some sort of asset, the FO is telling the players on this team who worked so hard to achieve the BEST OFFENSE IN BASKETBALL HISTORY, that the FO is taking that for granted and does not believe in them, instead of going into the playoffs seriously.

I’m sure Luka is happy af about having to throw another season despite playing MVP caliber basketball and running the best offense of all time, while the teams we should be competing with are all making upgrades and acquisitions for the playoffs