MavsBoard
2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart (/showthread.php?tid=206)

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Hypermav - 02-06-2020

I read the Mavs called on Spencer Dinwiddie?  Maybe I missed that nugget somewhere.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Baller AI - 02-06-2020

(02-06-2020, 06:31 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote:
(02-06-2020, 06:09 PM)mavsluvr Wrote:
(02-06-2020, 05:59 PM)Baller AI Wrote: If I had a coupon for 50% off rattlesnakes, and I did not want a rattlesnake. I would still buy the rattlesnakes for 50% off, and then sell them to someone that wants a rattlesnake
You might be able to unload those rattlesnakes for as much as you paid for them, or you might not. They were on sale for a reason. You might just end up with a bunch of rattlesnakes, when you could have had a nice puppy. 

The point is, it is perfectly legitimate not to buy something you don't want enough to pay whatever the price is. Especially in the case of NBA players. They might turn into a treasure trove, or you might just have a white elephant on your hands. 

I think of Courtney Lee as part of the price of acquiring KP. If we didn't have Lee, we wouldn't have KP. They tried to get something extra for him, but it didn't happen. Still worth it to have KP. Or that's what I say, anyway.
Puppies, rattlesnakes and bears, oh my!

I wanted them to use Lee for something big, sucks they didn't find that opportunity. IMO they should have at least found a kick the ball down the field type of deal that gets them assets to sweeten any deal they can make this offseason. That didn't happen either. That sucks more. It just sucks. Lots of things have sucked in the last 10 years, a few things haven't.

(02-06-2020, 06:25 PM)Baller AI Wrote: I'm still so confused about how the Suns literally paid another team to take on Warren, like wtf were we doing when they were shopping him? I wonder if we even inquired about him.
I have a sneaking suspicion that the Suns owner has a deep hatred for our owner. We haven't dealt with them since the Steve Nash trade and they've done a lot of wheelin and dealin along the way. No way of knowing for sure though, just a hunch.

he def hates us more for making them look like idiots for passing on Luka

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - luka_skywalker_77 - 02-06-2020

(02-06-2020, 05:57 PM)fifteenth Wrote:
(02-06-2020, 05:52 PM)luka_skywalker_77 Wrote: inability to make the deals that the best of the best make on a semi regular basis

deals like trading for Luka and KP?

3 for 100?

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - mavsluvr - 02-06-2020

(02-06-2020, 06:19 PM)Baller AI Wrote: The Warriors signing DLO is a great example of how a value is in the eyes of the beholder, and the trade for Wiggins is them doing the same thing again. Would not surprise me if Wiggins gets traded for someone they actually want. In addition to wiggy, they also get draft picks because Minny wanted DLO so badly. They created value out of a player that essentially had no value to them, because others did want him. Lee's expiring could have brought in some sort of value, even if it was a player expiring next year and we end up benching him just to use him as a trade chip next TDL. Yes taking Lee on to get Porzi is a net gain, but to get the MAX gain you have to get somesort of value out of Lee, and he certainly has no value to us on the court. Same with the rest of the TE, yes we got some value from it, but we failed to maximize its value.
The purpose of acquiring Lee was not as a trade asset. It was to get KP. That was the objective, and it was accomplished. If they had managed to use Lee in a trade for LeBron, that would have been dandy. But really, anything they got for him at all would have been gravy. 

The restrictions applicable to TPEs make it difficult to use them down to the penny. They're not like cap space. The situation has to be just right.

DLO is not the same case as Courtney Lee. For whatever reason, other teams didn't want Courtney Lee or his contract. Sometimes, people just don't want to buy what you have to sell. Acquiring him was still a smart move, whether they ultimately squeezed the last drop of juice out of it or not. Trading him just for the sake of trading him would not necessarily have been a good thing. A bad move can be much worse than no move.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - StepBackJay - 02-06-2020

(02-06-2020, 06:25 PM)Baller AI Wrote: I'm still so confused about how the Suns literally paid another team to take on Warren, like wtf were we doing when they were shopping him? I wonder if we even inquired about him.

The TJ Warren is a tough one but remember this was a draft night trade. Mavs did have interest, but they likely wanted to send back Lee so as to not mess up pursuing a max free agent. That being said a lot of FA's were already committing on draft night. I think Kemba was already leaning Celtics at that point. I wish Mavs were more opportunistic.

(02-06-2020, 06:09 PM)omahen Wrote:
(02-06-2020, 05:58 PM)JamesConway Wrote: https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1225552890091188231?s=21

Left at the altar again. Poor Mavs

LOL no fair Danny did us twice

(02-06-2020, 07:05 PM)mavsluvr Wrote:
(02-06-2020, 06:19 PM)Baller AI Wrote: The Warriors signing DLO is a great example of how a value is in the eyes of the beholder, and the trade for Wiggins is them doing the same thing again. Would not surprise me if Wiggins gets traded for someone they actually want. In addition to wiggy, they also get draft picks because Minny wanted DLO so badly. They created value out of a player that essentially had no value to them, because others did want him. Lee's expiring could have brought in some sort of value, even if it was a player expiring next year and we end up benching him just to use him as a trade chip next TDL. Yes taking Lee on to get Porzi is a net gain, but to get the MAX gain you have to get somesort of value out of Lee, and he certainly has no value to us on the court. Same with the rest of the TE, yes we got some value from it, but we failed to maximize its value.
The purpose of acquiring Lee was not as a trade asset. It was to get KP. That was the objective, and it was accomplished. If they had managed to use Lee in a trade for LeBron, that would have been dandy. But really, anything they got for him at all would have been gravy. 

The restrictions applicable to TPEs make it difficult to use them down to the penny. They're not like cap space. The situation has to be just right.

DLO is not the same case as Courtney Lee. For whatever reason, other teams didn't want Courtney Lee or his contract. Sometimes, people just don't want to buy what you have to sell. Acquiring him was still a smart move, whether they ultimately squeezed the last drop of juice out of it or not. Trading him just for the sake of trading him would not necessarily have been a good thing. A bad move can be much worse than no move.

Speaking of D'lo - remember how Mavs thought D'lo just wasn't their type of guy and not a good fit to Luka? Well Warriors were smarter than that, they signed him knowing he was an asset and had to give up a pick even to do a S&T. Mavs could have signed D'lo as the best free agent available and received a good package in return. It wouldn't have been Wiggins, probably something better involving RoCo.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - SamStetz - 02-06-2020

Anyone else find it odd that they haven’t waived/bought out Lee yet...or even any reports about it being a possibility?

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Jym - 02-06-2020

Unless I'm skipping over something this was the last time we traded for a future 1st round pick. Not including draft day deals 

[Image: gG1IXZB.jpg]

(02-06-2020, 07:25 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Speaking of D'lo - remember how Mavs thought D'lo just wasn't their type of guy and not a good fit to Luka? Well Warriors were smarter than that, they signed him knowing he was an asset and had to give up a pick even to do a S&T. Mavs could have signed D'lo as the best free agent available and received a good package in return. It wouldn't have been Wiggins, probably something better involving RoCo.
The Warriors signed him to play. The season didn't go as they expected. Did DLO express an interest in coming here?

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - aguiar95 - 02-06-2020

With the exception of the Clippers (I think they are stacked and should go to the finals), the conference seems in parity. We need to improve our roster. Most of other teams' suporting cast is no joke. If we're not improving, it means other teams are. The West is not getting any easier next year, there is not a single team I'm not scared of:

LAL = LBJ/AD
LAC = Kawhi/PG
DEN = Murray/Jokic
UTA = Mitchell/Gobert
HOU = Harden/WestBrook
OKC = CP3/SGA
DAL = Luka/KP
MEM = Ja/JJJ
SAS = Derozan/LA
POR = Lillard/McCollum
SAC = Fox/Hield
NOP = Ingram/Zion
PHO = Booker/Ayton
MIN = Russell/Towns
GSW = Curry/Klay

(02-06-2020, 07:51 PM)mavsluvr Wrote:
(02-06-2020, 07:25 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Speaking of D'lo - remember how Mavs thought D'lo just wasn't their type of guy and not a good fit to Luka? Well Warriors were smarter than that, they signed him knowing he was an asset and had to give up a pick even to do a S&T. Mavs could have signed D'lo as the best free agent available and received a good package in return. It wouldn't have been Wiggins, probably something better involving RoCo.
The Warriors signed him to play. The season didn't go as they expected. Did DLO express an interest in coming here?

no, they signed him knowing the fit would be iffy. But regardless of whether he fit, they knew they would get value from him: either by him fitting or by assets traded for him by other teams. Especially with their injuries they knew he’d put up numbers for them regardless of fit. The warriors FO only makes big brain plays, thats why they are the warriors lol. It was a win-win situation and how it played out proves that they made the right call.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Jym - 02-06-2020

(02-06-2020, 07:56 PM)Baller AI Wrote: The warriors FO only makes big brain plays, thats why they are the warriors lol. It was a win-win situation and how it played out proves that they made the right call.

I thought it was a smart move until they ended up with Wiggins. 
A first rounder would have been a conversation starter just to take on that contract for me. That doesn't even include whatever value that DLo has. They would have just been better off taking scraps and expirers from the Knicks. I would have considered that a win.

(02-06-2020, 07:56 PM)Baller AI Wrote: no, they signed him knowing the fit would be iffy. But regardless of whether he fit, they knew they would get value from him: either by him fitting or by assets traded for him by other teams. Especially with their injuries they knew he’d put up numbers for them regardless of fit. The warriors FO only makes big brain plays, thats why they are the warriors lol
They didn't sign him just as a trade asset; agree that they knew he would have trade value if he didn't work out as a player. Once they started tanking, it made sense to move him on. 

Anyway, I think we've about beaten this to death, unless you have a different point to make. We just don't agree on everything, and that's what makes horse races. 

Thanks for playing.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - haveitall - 02-06-2020

Sometimes the best deal is the deal that you don’t make.  Dallas  has a good young core with chemistry. Not one player traded today would get Dallas a championship.

(02-06-2020, 08:02 PM)Jym Wrote:
(02-06-2020, 07:56 PM)Baller AI Wrote: The warriors FO only makes big brain plays, thats why they are the warriors lol. It was a win-win situation and how it played out proves that they made the right call.

I thought it was a smart move until they ended up with Wiggins. 
A first rounder would have been a conversation starter just to take on that contract for me. That doesn't even include whatever value that DLo has. They would have just been better off taking scraps and expirers from the Knicks. I would have considered that a win.

I think they doing what they did with DLO with Wiggy. Test him out and see if he fits. Regardless he will improve simply by being around Curry/Klay/Dray/Kerr. If he doesn’t fit they’ll just flip him to another desperate team that isn’t as competent as they are for more assets

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - ItsGoTime - 02-06-2020

If we had signed DLo, it would have been nice to extract RoCo and whatever else we wanted for him. RoCo, Dieng, Culver and a first for DLo as soon as Powell went down. What could have been. That is some real spoiled milk! Although, he would have played really well for us and become untouchable, then regressed next first half of the year and everyone wanting to trade him. Then done excellent in the second half and become untradeable, then have a horrible playoff and he's public enemy #1. Until the first half of the season where he does well and becomes untouchable again, followed by a horrible second half and is on the block. And so on and so forth.

Question: since the Mavs are throwing this season and don’t want to try to win a championship this year, should we tank the rest of the season to get the best draft pick possible?

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Scott41theMavs - 02-06-2020

(02-06-2020, 10:36 PM)Baller AI Wrote: Question: since the Mavs are throwing this season and don’t want to try to win a championship this year, should we tank the rest of the season to get the best draft pick possible?

Thumbs up for the humor, not for the actual idea of tanking.

(02-06-2020, 10:39 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(02-06-2020, 10:36 PM)Baller AI Wrote: Question: since the Mavs are throwing this season and don’t want to try to win a championship this year, should we tank the rest of the season to get the best draft pick possible?

I too don’t want to tank, but if the Mavs don’t intend to contend this year, wouldn’t that objectively be the best move for next season and beyond? Like if we don’t want to go all in this season, we should go all in for the next one, which includes tanking this year right?

That way we have as good of a pick as possible to either trade or draft with. We have a first rounder if i’m not mistaken, next year. Having a better draft pick could legit be the difference maker in a trade for a star.

RE: Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Scott41theMavs - 02-06-2020

(02-06-2020, 10:42 PM)Baller AI Wrote:
(02-06-2020, 10:36 PM)Baller AI Wrote: Question: since the Mavs are throwing this season and don’t want to try to win a championship this year, should we tank the rest of the season to get the best draft pick possible?

I too don’t want to tank, but if the Mavs don’t intend to contend this year, wouldn’t that objectively be the best move for next season and beyond? Like if we don’t want to go all in this season, we should go all in for the next one, which includes tanking this year right?

That way we have as good of a pick as possible to either trade or draft with

A good hypothetical to consider, but no. I do agree the Mavs have chosen not to contend by failing to finish the roster by not replacing Justin and possibly also by not acquiring another big, depending on how WCS turns out, but I will also wait and see what they do with the buyout market. We aren't going to be the first choice of any player in the buyout market since we're so low on the contention pole and can't offer more than vet minimum, but hopefully we can land a wing who is more effective (especially on defense) than Justin has been the past two months. I can't take this team seriously as a team that is going to try to do the best they can the rest of the year and in the playoffs if we keep giving real minutes to Justin.

(02-06-2020, 10:47 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(02-06-2020, 10:42 PM)Baller AI Wrote:
(02-06-2020, 10:36 PM)Baller AI Wrote: Question: since the Mavs are throwing this season and don’t want to try to win a championship this year, should we tank the rest of the season to get the best draft pick possible?

That way we have as good of a pick as possible to either trade or draft with

A good hypothetical to consider, but no. I do agree the Mavs have chosen not to contend by failing to finish the roster by not replacing Justin and possibly also by not acquiring another big, depending on how WCS turns out, but I will also wait and see what they do with the buyout market. We aren't going to be the first choice of any player in the buyout market since we're so low on the contention pole and can't offer more than vet minimum, but hopefully we can land a wing who is more effective (especially on defense) than Justin has been the past two months. I can't take this team seriously as a team that is going to try to do the best they can the rest of the year and in the playoffs if we keep giving real minutes to Justin.

Agreed. You never know, moving up a few positions in the draft could be what lets us complete a trade for a third star. We should make the most out of this season if we aren’t contenders to ideally set up for the next few years of contension