MavsBoard
DRAFT: #18 [Green] & #31 [Terry] & trade for #36 [Tyler Bey] - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: DRAFT: #18 [Green] & #31 [Terry] & trade for #36 [Tyler Bey] (/showthread.php?tid=200)

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - KillerLeft - 11-14-2020

(11-14-2020, 07:29 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: I don't know if you listened all the way to the end, but in the final few minutes they had a similar debate regarding the price of Chris Paul to the Suns.  Hollinger instantly went to  Rubio/Oubre/10 for Paul and 25.  Nate was like wait a minute here.  If I'm Phoenix, my offer is Rubio/Oubre and someone like Ty Jerome.  If OKC has a better offer, put your cards on the table.  Otherwise, we aren't bidding against ourselves.  

I did hear that. My takeaway was a confirmation of my logic that #10 was what OKC would be most interested in attaining. 

I DID almost bring this thought here at some point the other day, but didn't: of the names rumored, Rubio has the most undesirable contract in terms of length (though it's not a terrible contract, imo). I can see the Mavs offering to take THAT contract as a means to get #10, in which case I'd probably give you guys the nod for being correct, even though Rubio ended up here. 

But, I don't think that deal would get done.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - Scott41theMavs - 11-14-2020

(11-14-2020, 07:34 PM)KillerLeft Wrote:
(11-14-2020, 07:29 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: I don't know if you listened all the way to the end, but in the final few minutes they had a similar debate regarding the price of Chris Paul to the Suns. Hollinger instantly went to Rubio/Oubre/10 for Paul and 25. Nate was like wait a minute here. If I'm Phoenix, my offer is Rubio/Oubre and someone like Ty Jerome. If OKC has a better offer, put your cards on the table. Otherwise, we aren't bidding against ourselves.

I did hear that. My takeaway was a confirmation of my logic that #10 was what OKC would be most interested in attaining.

I DID almost bring this thought here at some point the other day, but didn't: of the names rumored, Rubio has the most undesirable contract in terms of length (though it's not a terrible contract, imo). I can see the Mavs offering to take THAT contract as a means to get #10, in which case I'd probably give you guys the nod for being correct, even though Rubio ended up here.

Presti: Suns, we don't do this deal unless we get #10.

Suns: That's funny, because there's no deal whatsoever that includes #10.

Donnie: We'll eat Rubio's contract if you give us #10.

Presti and the Suns in unison: Shut the eff up, Donnie; the grownups are talking here.

In short, OKC and PHX's mutual stances mean that there's no way a deal that nets Dallas #10 gets done. The Suns will probably eventually cave on #10. Zero way Presti does - if #10 is changing hands, it's going to OKC, or there's no deal, no way, no how.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - aguiar95 - 11-14-2020

Since everyone posted their final boards, here's mine. 

Guys not included I:

- Don't like to trade up for (Ball, Williams, ...);
- Don't like at #18 and won't be there at #31 (Bane, Pokusevski, ...);
- Don't like at #31 (Reed, Stewart, ...).

My FINAL 2020 Dallas Mavericks NBA Draft Big Board

Trade-up target:

1) D. Vassell

Draft at #18:

2) K. Lewis Jr.
3) J. Smith
4) P. Achiuwa
5) S. Bey
6) J. Green
7) R.J. Hampton
8) T. Maxey
9) T. Terry

Draft at #31:

10) L. Bolmaro
11) T. Bey
12) I. Quickley
13) X. Tillman Sr.
14) T. Jones
15) N. Mannion

Trade-back targets:

16) I. Joe
17) Y. Madar
18) M. Diakite

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - Scott41theMavs - 11-14-2020

Wait a minute... the Heat want Wes Matthews????

Pat Riley is an intelligent GM. If there's a report out there that the Heat want Matthews, 100% it's a smokescreen.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - Mavs2019 - 11-14-2020

Presti should call it The OK-cess. How many picks do they need?

The Mavs have been idiots about rebuilding, asset management and using the draft, until they were so bad that they had no other choice than to suck, but I also don´t get the OKC Thunder owner. They were a 50 win team last year. They have like seven additional 1st round picks, plus their own seven 1st round picks, plus some swap rights on two picks.

Why not go to Washington and say here are Schroeder+ Ferguson and eight first round picks (pick whichever you want) for Beal.

Beal might be under contract until 2023 officially, but in reality he´s seven months away from the networks opening the Beal sweepstakes.

He has a player option for 2022/2023, which means he can get out in 2022. That means the trade rumours will start in the summer of 2021: Well if they want to get anything for him, they´ll have to trade him now.

Hmmmm I think I just talked myself into transitioning Giannis 2021 into Beal 2022. Plan Powder is back, baby. Big Grin Cool

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - Hypermav - 11-14-2020

(11-14-2020, 08:04 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Wait a minute... the Heat want Wes Matthews????

Pat Riley is an intelligent GM. If there's a report out there that the Heat want Matthews, 100% it's a smokescreen.
[Image: giphy.gif]

The good old days.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - KillerLeft - 11-14-2020

(11-14-2020, 07:46 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: if #10 is changing hands, it's going to OKC

This has always been my thinking, too, and I haven't seen anything that would convince me otherwise.

(11-14-2020, 08:04 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Wait a minute... the Heat want Wes Matthews????

Nah, not necessarily. He's a a minimum guy (or not far above) who knows how winning basketball should be played and is willing to do it. If he wasn't, he would be out of the league by now. That's the type of player smart GM's get. The mistake isn't signing Mathews on the cheap to play for a good team. The mistake is to pay him a ton of money to be featured on a bad one. And tbh, I don't think he would've been successful in that role BEFORE the injury, even.

(11-14-2020, 08:15 PM)KillerLeft Wrote:
(11-14-2020, 07:46 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: if #10 is changing hands, it's going to OKC

This has always been my thinking, too, and I haven't seen anything that would convince me otherwise.

What changed my mind and convinced me was the report that Presti was saying "no 10, no deal and we'll look elsewhere." If he wants 10 that badly, then nothing the Mavs can give short of KP is going to net #10.

WRT Wes, we'll agree to disagree. I think he's hot garbage all around, and I would conclude that from his Bucks play alone. He has no place in the rotation of a team trying to win games.

lol, you can't just call the man garbage? He has to be "hot garbage?"

[Image: source.gif]

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - DanSchwartzgan - 11-14-2020

(11-14-2020, 07:29 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: I don't know if you listened all the way to the end, but in the final few minutes they had a similar debate regarding the price of Chris Paul to the Suns.  Hollinger instantly went to  Rubio/Oubre/10 for Paul and 25.  Nate was like wait a minute here.  If I'm Phoenix, my offer is Rubio/Oubre and someone like Ty Jerome.  If OKC has a better offer, put your cards on the table.  Otherwise, we aren't bidding against ourselves.  

I realize you put the board on suicide watch for Rubio, but I LOVE him.  Been fantasy trading for him for 5-6 years.  I stopped with Luka here.  My concern is both Rubio and Luka are magic with the ball in their hands.  Rubio is also a good defender, but my worry is that off the ball you've taken away Ricky's superpower.

Then I dug deeper.  Rubio/Booker lineups are great.  So, he shares the spotlight just fine.  And, his corner and C&S 3's are actually pretty good these days (it's all the other 3's that he's still not good at).  He's also still a good on-the-ball defender.  Phoenix is 6.0 pp100 better on O when Ricky is in and 3.7 pp100 better on D.  That combined 9.7 is 7th best in the league (Millsap is #4 BTW).  

So, let's take Paul out of this and just talk Phoenix and Dallas.  DFS/Wright for Rubio saves them $4mm (cap room they could actually use...maybe FVV?).  It gets them a rotation guy at the 3/4 behind Bridges and Johnson in DFS and a third guard in Wright.  We know from the value charts that 18/31 is equal to about 13 or so.  Is it so hard to believe $4 million in space, and two good bench players on reasonable contracts in positions of need aren't worth the other three spots from 13 to 10?

If Rubio is the target of such a deal (pick or no pick), it makes the Millsap thing more palatable.  I don't think he comes here on a one year MLE.  Maybe a two and he and Rubio expire simultaneously?   Maybe cap room in 22 is a thing and we've taken on a couple of really good vets in Rubio and Millsap to transition us between now and then.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - Mavs2019 - 11-14-2020

Please. Riley is way too late here.

Wesley Matthews has been working undercover for the Mavs as a double agent, since they signed him in 2015.

You need proof?

Here is Wesley Matthews

[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]

assuming the fake persona of Robin Hood to disguise his true identity as James Bond 007. The double agent that never gets double-doubles.

Here is Matthews pretending to be asleep on defense, when he´s really awesome. But we need that high draft pick to recruit DSJ for the next operation, so he did what he had to do.

[Image: ap180250756396763265429292.jpg]

This is the crucial moment of Operation Exit Unicorn. Here you can see Porzingis processing the fresh information he has just received from Wes, that the Knick major off-season plan was to acquire Matthews and Barnes to form a new BIG 3 in the BIG Apple.

[Image: usa_today_10530793.0.jpg]

Here is part two of that operation....

[Image: usa_today_10748154.0.jpg]

Wes Matthews telling DSJ that he should be a #1 option somewhere and that he needs to put up a triple double in MSG, cause that´s where legends are born. Obviously Wesley supported this plan by converting all of DSJ passes into glorious assists and on the defensive end, he not only blocked out the opposing players, but his teammates, so DSJ could grab enough boards.

Look at the boxscore: https://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=401071431

Matthews was 54% from three and intentionally only grabbed two rebounds. That´s WELL below his career-average. How much. Well let´s just say that is classified information.

And while all this was going on, he was just serving as the tank commander of the Mavs successful invasion of Slovenia, where they took a hostage named Luka Doncic.

[Image: kr4wsu9sse401.jpg]

Now we are in the final stages....

[Image: Wesley-Matthews-Marquette-Golden-Eagles-...=446%2C303]

"I tell you Giannis, that Dirk Nowitzki Charles Barkley army story never gets old. You want to get some popcorn before the real movie starts.... you know how you hate the Heat, because they embarrassed you, and how Jason Kidd is like a father to you....you gonna love this one...!!"

[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]

So I NEVER EVER want to hear any complaints about the Wesley Matthews contract again. That man is a Mavericks hero, and he did it all with one healthy Achilles!

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - ClutchDirk - 11-14-2020

POTD...

Fantastic work, 2019.

(11-14-2020, 09:06 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote:

I realize you put the board on suicide watch for Rubio, but I LOVE him.  Been fantasy trading for him for 5-6 years.  I stopped with Luka here.  My concern is both Rubio and Luka are magic with the ball in their hands.  Rubio is also a good defender, but my worry is that off the ball you've taken away Ricky's superpower.

Then I dug deeper.  Rubio/Booker lineups are great.  So, he shares the spotlight just fine.  And, his corner and C&S 3's are actually pretty good these days (it's all the other 3's that he's still not good at).  He's also still a good on-the-ball defender.  Phoenix is 6.0 pp100 better on O when Ricky is in and 3.7 pp100 better on D.  That combined 9.7 is 7th best in the league (Millsap is #4 BTW).  

So, let's take Paul out of this and just talk Phoenix and Dallas.  DFS/Wright for Rubio saves them $4mm (cap room they could actually use...maybe FVV?).  It gets them a rotation guy at the 3/4 behind Bridges and Johnson in DFS and a third guard in Wright.  We know from the value charts that 18/31 is equal to about 13 or so.  Is it so hard to believe $4 million in space, and two good bench players on reasonable contracts in positions of need aren't worth the other three spots from 13 to 10?

If Rubio is the target of such a deal (pick or no pick), it makes the Millsap thing more palatable.  I don't think he comes here on a one year MLE.  Maybe a two and he and Rubio expire simultaneously?   Maybe cap room in 22 is a thing and we've taken on a couple of really good vets in Rubio and Millsap to transition us between now and then.
Yeah Ricky was the original child prodigy. Putting up a quadruple double and a few effortless triple doubles in FIBA youth championships, stepping up to CP13 and Kidd at age 17 in the Olympic finals. He was supposed to be Doncic. 

I love the player. The big question mark is the fit with Doncic. Phoenix needed a floor general, a veteran leader, a passer, a defender next to a deadly young shooter in Devin Booker. Rubio was the perfect fit. We might only need two of these functions: the veteran leader and the defender. Also Luka might be everything, but he´s not Booker, when it comes to pure outside shooting.

(11-14-2020, 09:06 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: I realize you put the board on suicide watch for Rubio, but I LOVE him.  Been fantasy trading for him for 5-6 years.  I stopped with Luka here.  My concern is both Rubio and Luka are magic with the ball in their hands.  Rubio is also a good defender, but my worry is that off the ball you've taken away Ricky's superpower.

Now, we're talking. I like Rubio, too, and my insistence that we BE PREPARED was only meant to counteract the extremely negative reaction the board had to the idea.  We know the Mavs like him, and if they thought Kemba Walker could work, it's not that far of a stretch to think they could talk themselves into Rubio. 

Alternatively, there's no way in hell the white European is who the people in that LAC locker room want. I realize that I'm being reductive here, but I'm sorry - it's just my feeling. 

The idea that #10 would be the VERY FIRST thing OKC would ask for is a no-brainer to the highest degree. 

Add in the fact that Oubre is expiring, so much easier for OKC to swallow for a year, and also not really a typical Dallas player (this might be incorrect - they might like him just fine) and it just seems to me that Rubio is the tire that Dallas was kicking in this particular scenario. 

For the record, I wouldn't be excited because it would mean some of the more exciting options had proven unsuccessful, but I DO think the player could be a fit here, and he's on a contract that's just fine, imo. I would be ok with it. It's a slightly less sexy version of the Gordon Hayward acquisition I got so excited about. 

I've been tempted to pose the following Earth shattering question for a couple of weeks now, but have been too scared of backlash. I'm going to do so now, but please understand that this is me trying to figure out what THEY think, not making my own assertion:

Are we sure the Mavs want Luka to play PG? Are we even sure HE wants to do that? 

Imo, we don't quiiiiiite have enough info to confidently answer in the affirmative. BE PREPARED.

In any event, I think it's EXTREMELY believable that the team who traded for 2008 Jason Kidd and carved out the role we saw him play well into his 30's would value that portion of Rubio's career more highly than other teams. 

- great defender
- better catch and shoot guy than advertised and improving in his old age
- floor general type who doesn't need the ball in his hands for much of the possession to make an impact

It's like a carbon copy, imo.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - ItsGoTime - 11-14-2020

(11-14-2020, 08:09 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: Hmmmm I think I just talked myself into transitioning Giannis 2021 into Beal 2022. Plan Powder is back, baby. Big Grin Cool
I've been waiting for this to happen. Transitioning usually happens after the targetted offseason, but this is just as good. Now let's figure out the name in 2023.

(11-14-2020, 09:46 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote:
(11-14-2020, 08:09 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: Hmmmm I think I just talked myself into transitioning Giannis 2021 into Beal 2022. Plan Powder is back, baby. Big Grin Cool
I've been waiting for this to happen. Transitioning usually happens after the targetted offseason, but this is just as good. Now let's figure out the name in 2023.

You don’t have to worry. Once Luka signs his extension, that ship has sailed. I think the only shots they’ll have at significant cap space (without blowing the team up) are next summer and possibly the year after. 

I don’t anticipate that they’ll tread water for even that long. 

Anyone they bring in with a multi-year deal, even a good one like Rubio’s, will be someone they believe can fit here long term. It will either mean they think they can work around the deal next summer or that they found a path they like enough to blow all of that off. I expect the former, but wouldn’t be shocked by the latter.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - ItsGoTime - 11-14-2020

(11-13-2020, 06:46 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote:
(11-13-2020, 06:45 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: The thing lost in all this LaVine buzz here is that I don't know that the Mavs have anything the Bulls want.

Oladipo on the other hand I think is gettable, particularly if THJ is able to be packaged with 18.

https://www.si.com/nba/mavericks/news/nba-rumors-oddsmakers-see-victor-oladipo-trade-to-dallas-mavs
I remember a report saying Ind doesn't really want picks though, they want players.

(11-14-2020, 09:57 PM)KillerLeft Wrote:
(11-14-2020, 09:46 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote:

You don’t have to worry. Once Luka signs his extension, that ship has sailed. I think the only shots they’ll have at significant cap space (without blowing the team up) are next summer and possibly the year after. 

I don’t anticipate that they’ll tread water for even that long. 

Anyone they bring in with a multi-year deal, even a good one like Rubio’s, will be someone they believe can fit here long term. It will either mean they think they can work around the deal next summer or that they found a path they like enough to blow all of that off. I expect the former, but wouldn’t be shocked by the latter.
Let's not be too sure of ourselves. Habits form is less time and effort!

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - Kammrath - 11-14-2020

[Image: 0*RPUxnwFT08KLyCzH.]

Quote:The Knicks were hoping to work out Killian Hayes before Wednesday’s draft, but a COVID-19 outbreak may prevent that from happening, according to Marc Berman of The New York Post. The team had to close its training facility in Tarrytown after three staff members tested positive for the virus on Tuesday.

New York will consider the French point guard with its No. 8 pick and he may be an even stronger possibility if the Knicks trade down. The team has collected plenty of information on Hayes, such as his measurements and medical records, and interviewed him via Zoom.

“Everyone saw the progress and a lot of changes to my game,’’ Hayes said. “What I really improved on, really, is my body. As soon as you see me, there’s a big difference and change from eight months ago to now. … The player that I was back in March is not the same player I am today. I’ve really leveled up a lot.”

Hayes turned 19 in July, making him one of the youngest players in the draft. However, he faced much older competition in Germany and says fellow Frenchmen Frank Ntilikina and Sekou Doumbouya have helped him prepare for the NBA.

“I learned a lot being able to leading a group of grown men,’’ Hayes said. “I’m used to playing against a lot of physicality. People coming at me. That will definitely help me.’’

I like salivating over Hayes, but if he's on the Knicks' radar so heavily, that would indicate that

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fgifimage.net%2Fits-not-happening-gif-6%2F&psig=AOvVaw3p9KBoMOcO4XPUNMWaZeGG&ust=1605499869098000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCIi6vZ3Xg-0CFQAAAAAdAAAAABAI