MavsBoard
DRAFT: #18 [Green] & #31 [Terry] & trade for #36 [Tyler Bey] - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: DRAFT: #18 [Green] & #31 [Terry] & trade for #36 [Tyler Bey] (/showthread.php?tid=200)

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - Kammrath - 11-10-2020

(11-10-2020, 11:50 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Would anyone do #18/whatever makes it cap legal for #25 Schroeder?

YES. 

Schroeder (if he passes the Mavs culture test) would be dominant in RC's offense when Luka sits and would be an awesome perimeter defender next to Luka. Only moving down 7 slots for him would be fantastic. 

[Image: tenor.gif]

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - omahen - 11-10-2020

(11-10-2020, 11:50 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Would anyone do #18/whatever makes it cap legal for #25 Schroeder?

Like we didn't discuss Schroeder multiple times already Smile Wright and Jackson is way too light to get pick back from OKC imho. So you either wave goodbye to first round pick or include better player in the deal.

I have one with #25. 

#18+#31 for #25, worst OKC 2021 FRP and worst OKC 2023 FRP pick. We draft Poku for them and pick forum favorite T.Bey with 25 (if we follow Hollinger draft board). The added picks give us option to trade picks in any year.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - ClutchDirk - 11-10-2020

https://twitter.com/detnewsRodBeard/status/1326205144946651140

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - KillerLeft - 11-10-2020

(11-10-2020, 11:58 AM)omahen Wrote:

Like we didn't discuss Schroeder multiple times already Smile Wright and Jackson is way too light to get pick back from OKC imho. So you either wave goodbye to first round pick or include better player in the deal.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'm not 100% sure you're right, either. The takeaway from all the recent rumors I've read, regardless of which are legit and which aren't, is that moving up in the draft is EXPENSIVE, even in a year like this. Now, maybe the price falls off a cliff once you're out of the lottery, but idk, man. I could see the deal I suggested being right in line (IF there's a guy at #18 OKC covets).

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - ClutchDirk - 11-10-2020

https://twitter.com/chadfordinsider/status/1326211769312948225

https://twitter.com/KeithSmithNBA/status/1326006129776799744

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - KillerLeft - 11-10-2020

https://theboxand1.weebly.com/draft-profiles/final-2020-nba-draft-big-board-tiers

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - Scott41theMavs - 11-10-2020

8 days until the draft. 

If that Box-and-one guy is right, this is a terrible draft. I do like that he had both Terry and Smith (who are high on my board) in the top ten. I would love either one for the Mavs.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - Kammrath - 11-10-2020

(11-10-2020, 01:50 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: https://theboxand1.weebly.com/draft-profiles/final-2020-nba-draft-big-board-tiers

[Image: giphy.gif]

Wink

(11-10-2020, 02:14 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: If that Box-and-one guy is right, this is a terrible draft.

I do not agree with most of Adam Spinella's evals. He and I see basketball very differently. The one thing I appreciate him most though is that he is not afraid to go against the grain.

(11-10-2020, 02:16 PM)Kammrath Wrote:
(11-10-2020, 01:50 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: https://theboxand1.weebly.com/draft-profiles/final-2020-nba-draft-big-board-tiers

Wink

Sorry if it was already posted and I missed it.

(11-10-2020, 08:01 AM)Hypermav Wrote: 18. Dallas – Aleksej Pokusevski, “power” forward, Olympiakos B
Okay, let’s talk about the biggest mystery meat of the draft, because there is a lot of subterfuge to process here.
The rumor is that Pokusevski has a promise from a team in the first round, and that’s why he bailed on the draft combine. Bigger picture, that may also be why he bailed on much of his 2019-20 season, depending on when the promise came.
Adding fuel to the fire are two data points: 1) Pokusevski’s agent, Jason Ranne, used to work for the Oklahoma City Thunder, and 2) The Thunder themselves are notorious in league circles for promising their pick and having him shut down workouts and other public viewings waaaaay ahead of the draft.
I don’t think the Thunder are the only ones playing poker here, though. At the 18th pick, we have a Dallas team with a noted proclivity for swinging for the fences on high-upside international prospects. Sometimes they get Dirk Nowitzki and sometimes they get Pavel Podkolzin, but they’ll keep swinging.
So why wouldn’t the Mavs take a swing here? Instead, there are widespread rumors that Dallas is shopping the pick in search of a high-level wing.
Color me dubious. They’re going to trade this pick for a wing when they’re trying to create max cap room in 2021? They’d either nuke the cap space or end up trading a first-round pick for a rental. This feels more like a smokescreen to dissuade the teams behind them from jumping up to 17 and taking their guy.
I don’t see Pokusevski making it all the way to the Thunder at 25 in either case, which means Oklahoma City may need to use its surfeit of future 1sts to move up. Regardless of which team lands Pokusevski, I think he goes in the mid-to-late teens, possibly as high as 14 to Boston.

https://theathletic.com/2188482/2020/11/...rst-round/

Where are they mocking Hayes, Haliburton, Vassell, Hampton, Achiuwa, Sbey, and TBey?

(11-10-2020, 02:25 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Sorry if it was already posted and I missed it.

@"DanSchwartzman" posted it this morning. No biggie, I am just being silly. It was a very interesting read, worth posting twice.

So not only is @"DanSchwartzman" hitting me with a constant barrage of "plan powder" references, now he's somehow using time travel to steal my posts? 

Awesome.

Quote:Where are they mocking Hayes, Haliburton, Vassell, Hampton, Achiuwa, Sbey, and TBey?

4: Haliburton
10: Hayes
12: Vassell (I'd be tempted, if possible)
14: SBey (ditto)
16: Hampton
17: Achiuwa
30: TBey

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - Hypermav - 11-10-2020

Man, he flipped the script on the draft in his world.  We would have our choice of Ball or Halliburton at 18.  Maybe I am not seeing this correctly....

MFFL

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - Mavsfan12 - 11-10-2020

(11-10-2020, 02:30 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: So not only is @"DanSchwartzman" hitting me with a constant barrage of "plan powder" references, now he's somehow using time travel to steal my posts? 

Awesome.

Quote:Where are they mocking Hayes, Haliburton, Vassell, Hampton, Achiuwa, Sbey, and TBey?

4: Haliburton
10: Hayes
12: Vassell (I'd be tempted, if possible)
14: SBey (ditto)
16: Hampton
17: Achiuwa
30: TBey

That value on Hampton at 16.  Wow.  Our perimeter defense could use that.  I don't think his shot is broken, so he should develop just fine.  It would be nice to have his athleticism/creation on this roster!

https://twitter.com/jeskeets/status/1326248180221177856

https://twitter.com/Rachel__Nichols/status/1326263906977910786

(11-10-2020, 02:16 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I do not agree with most of Adam Spinella's evals. He and I see basketball very differently. The one thing I appreciate him most though is that he is not afraid to go against the grain.

What I find interesting about it is that he's taking coaching experience into account. Like, you can be the 62nd best off-the-bounce scorer in the league, but if so, you're not likely to ever be given an opportunity to thrive in that role. So, you'd better A) be aware of what role you WILL have a chance to carve out and B) be willing to learn the skills involved with that role. This is why guys like Wiggins can't figure out how to have decent careers. This is why DSJ is flaming out. This is why WCS was available for a 2nd round pick, etc, etc. 

Another thing I've learned this year is that it's REALLY hard to predict who's going to make it at the next level, and what seems to matter most is where these guys end up, situationally. Like, if RJ Hampton gets a chance to run an NBA offense as the main ball handler, I'm reasonably confident that he'll turn into a solid pro, but that chance is far from a guarantee. If Dallas drafted him, would he learn to be a secondary guy who could contribute off-ball, or would he wilt like DSJ? There's almost no way to tell, imo, though maybe the teams have the means to make more educated guesses by interviewing these guys. 

His notes on Tyler Bey were very reminiscent of the conversation you and I had about him. We both like him, but we see his ideal role a little differently. Which one would HE prefer? Does he land on a team that agrees with him?

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - Mavsfan12 - 11-10-2020

(11-10-2020, 03:45 PM)KillerLeft Wrote:
(11-10-2020, 02:16 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I do not agree with most of Adam Spinella's evals. He and I see basketball very differently. The one thing I appreciate him most though is that he is not afraid to go against the grain.

What I find interesting about it is that he's taking coaching experience into account. Like, you can be the 62nd best off-the-bounce scorer in the league, but if so, you're not likely to ever be given an opportunity to thrive in that role. So, you'd better A) be aware of what role you WILL have a chance to carve out and B) be willing to learn the skills involved with that role. This is why guys like Wiggins can't figure out how to have decent careers. This is why DSJ is flaming out. This is why WCS was available for a 2nd round pick, etc, etc. 

Another thing I've learned this year is that it's REALLY hard to predict who's going to make it at the next level, and what seems to matter most is where these guys end up, situationally. Like, if RJ Hampton gets a chance to run an NBA offense as the main ball handler, I'm reasonably confident that he'll turn into a solid pro, but that chance is far from a guarantee. If Dallas drafted him, would he learn to be a secondary guy who could contribute off-ball, or would he wilt like DSJ? There's almost no way to tell, imo, though maybe the teams have the means to make more educated guesses by interviewing these guys. 

His notes on Tyler Bey were very reminiscent of the conversation you and I had about him. We both like him, but we see his ideal role a little differently. Which one would HE prefer? Does he land on a team that agrees with him?

I view Hampton's floor as very high - much higher than DSJ's was.  He is an amazing athlete and a ballhawk defensively.  He adds to that a high bbiq and ability to break down defenses and playmake for others.  What will ultimately determine his ceiling is his shooting. Do you take a guy that fills so much of what you need, but has to grow in THAT area?  That is the only reason he is even in the discussion at 18.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - JamesConway - 11-10-2020

Love to hear the DX-guys on Hayes. If he slides to 10+ then Id try hard to move up. Unfortunately I doubt Haliburton is in reach for us, that dude looks like a dream fit here.

Still low on Hampton. I just don’t see the outside shot ever be enough. Hed have a difficult time in our PnR system.

I kinda expect us to end up with Green at 18. Would be a really good pick. Not sure Id package 18 and 31 for someone like S. Bey or Achiuwa. Taking two attempts in a draft like thus seems like a smart idea in general.

Also still in on Poku if he’s the guy at #18 That’s an exciting prospect. Super mobile and skilled for his size.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - Scott41theMavs - 11-10-2020

(11-10-2020, 04:53 PM)JamesConway Wrote: Love to hear the DX-guys on Hayes. If he slides to 10+ then Id try hard to move up. Unfortunately I doubt Haliburton is in reach for us, that dude looks like a dream fit here.

Still low on Hampton. I just don’t see the outside shot ever be enough. Hed have a difficult time in our PnR system.

I kinda expect us to end up with Green at 18. Would be a really good pick. Not sure Id package 18 and 31 for someone like S. Bey or Achiuwa. Taking two attempts in a draft like thus seems like a smart idea in general.

Also still in on Poku if he’s the guy at #18 That’s an exciting prospect. Super mobile and skilled for his size.

I don't know that we have the luxury of using 31 as a trade chip for anything other than dumping Wright for a guy expiring in '21. I hate the idea of using 18 to unload Wright for anyone short of perhaps Oladipo, but if the Mavs' goal is max space in '21, it looks like dumping Wright is a must. So, no trade-up, no second shot... I would consider Green a very meh get at 18, but (shrug).

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18, 6pm | DAL #18 & #31 | 'strong desire' to trade up | Hal & SBey workout - JamesConway - 11-10-2020

tankathon has updated its mock draft.

18 Maxey
31 Woodard

Btw: has Nick Richards declared?

https://youtu.be/kKP22t1wXnY

Looks like a guy who is destined to catch lobs. Ive read smth about a 7‘5 wingspan but unconfirmed. Haven’t seen him in many mock drafts at this point.

(11-10-2020, 05:14 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(11-10-2020, 04:53 PM)JamesConway Wrote: Love to hear the DX-guys on Hayes. If he slides to 10+ then Id try hard to move up. Unfortunately I doubt Haliburton is in reach for us, that dude looks like a dream fit here.

I don't know that we have the luxury of using 31 as a trade chip for anything other than dumping Wright for a guy expiring in '21. I hate the idea of using 18 to unload Wright for anyone short of perhaps Oladipo, but if the Mavs' goal is max space in '21, it looks like dumping Wright is a must. So, no trade-up, no second shot... I would consider Green a very meh get at 18, but (shrug).
I hate moves like that. Wouldn’t do it until I’d have to. Imo Carlisle and Delon just need to figure their stuff out. I’d give it another shot, after the season he has only one year left anyway. Should be cheaper to move him by then.

Does anyone remember the Ray Felton-resurgence? That came out of nowhere (& at a later stage of his career) too.

Re: The updated Tankathon draft: I very much like the group of players they have remaining available for the Mavs at 18, and while I could understand taking Maxey with that pick (although, if Maxi's still here, you'd have to take out extra insurance on their necks, haha), I think Terry and Smith have much higher ceilings. Love those two players.