MavsBoard
DRAFT: #18 [Green] & #31 [Terry] & trade for #36 [Tyler Bey] - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: DRAFT: #18 [Green] & #31 [Terry] & trade for #36 [Tyler Bey] (/showthread.php?tid=200)

RE: DRAFT: Oct 16 date to be pushed back? | Mavs get #18 & #31 - FunkBoreland - 09-06-2020

(09-06-2020, 01:13 PM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: I am going to go out on a limb and say the mavs cannot trade the pick, and setting up a deal for the rights to #18 before the draft is a very difficult proposition.

They might be able to shuffle picks but I think they will be keeping or stashing the plays picked.

I hope your right. If the idea is to hold Luka in the long term, you would want to surround him with prospects that play out just as good at starter level. Veterans know the NBA level, but they usually have a 5-6 year window before they bottom out in the talent cesspool. Getting a veteran player gotta come in with more certainties than questions.

RE: DRAFT: Oct 16 date to be pushed back? | Mavs get #18 & #31 - Scott41theMavs - 09-06-2020

(09-06-2020, 01:13 PM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: I am going to go out on a limb and say the mavs cannot trade the pick, and setting up a deal for the rights to #18 before the draft is a very difficult proposition.

They might be able to shuffle picks but I think they will be keeping or stashing the players picked.
Picks get traded on draft night all the time. Bet good money you're wrong on this.

The MBT-hating fatalist in me is uttering shrill cries that we're going to keep the pick, draft a bust who makes this year's Justin Jackson (note: 2018-19 JJ - remember, that guy who still had promise and confidence before RC threw it into his personal dumpster fire of young player mismanagement - would destroy 2019-20 JJ one-on-one) look like an All-Star, and by keeping the pick find ourselves not being able to trade for anyone of value and not getting anything except some leftover scrub whom we overpay with our MLE in FA, leading to on- and off-court disaster in 2020-21.

We have some decent hits in the draft in the Donnie era and some epic fails. Remember when Simba was going to be king.

RE: DRAFT: Oct 16 date to be pushed back? | Mavs get #18 & #31 - burekemde - 09-06-2020

Is this the new Jokic? Pretty much same skillset of strengths vs weaknesses. Very unathletic and slow. Great lower body strength, can push defenders back. Has that basketball feel for the game, can pass really well, shoots really well. Rebounds well. Not an elite defender, does not have elite defender potential. In the right system, that could allow him to "run the plays on offense" he might show his true potential. He can play. Will not offer any rim rolling ability. However, he could set up plays for Luka to receive the ball in favourable positions. Pick and roll could still work through Luka and KP. While Wesson could get the ball in high post and act as secondary playmaker ala Jokic to set up Luka and others. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU5xfIb_kNY

First Mavs pick: Haliburton (trade up)
Second Mavs pick: Wesson

Haliburton / Luka / DFS / KP / Wesson

Then we suddenly have 3 playmakers instead of one (Luka, Haliburton and Wesson). We can run the plays through each of those 3, which would make it much less unpredictable. All 5 of these are shooters, you can't leave any of them open.

RE: DRAFT: Oct 16 date to be pushed back? | Mavs get #18 & #31 - omahen - 09-06-2020

(09-06-2020, 06:50 PM)burekemde Wrote: Second Mavs pick: Wesson

Very likely he will be undrafted

RE: DRAFT: Oct 16 date to be pushed back? | Mavs get #18 & #31 - Scott41theMavs - 09-06-2020

(09-06-2020, 08:29 PM)omahen Wrote:

DFS II?

RE: DRAFT: Oct 16 date to be pushed back? | Mavs get #18 & #31 - burekemde - 09-07-2020

(09-06-2020, 08:29 PM)omahen Wrote:

In this case perhaps we can use our second and first pick to trade up for Haliburton. Then get Wesson undrafted as a free agent. My favourite outcome of this draft currently.

I would love to also find way to get Sadiq Bey somehow. Its unrealistic we can get all 3 of these.

RE: DRAFT: Oct 16 date to be pushed back? | Mavs get #18 & #31 - Kammrath - 09-07-2020

(09-07-2020, 10:29 AM)burekemde Wrote: In this case perhaps we can use our second and first pick to trade up for Haliburton.

I don't want to be a wet blanket but I do not think that is going to be possible at all.

RE: DRAFT: Oct 16 date to be pushed back? | Mavs get #18 & #31 - burekemde - 09-07-2020

(09-07-2020, 10:37 AM)Kammrath Wrote:
(09-07-2020, 10:29 AM)burekemde Wrote: In this case perhaps we can use our second and first pick to trade up for Haliburton.

I don't want to be a wet blanket but I do not think that is going to be possible at all.

Its good to be realistic. What would it require more to move up?

RE: DRAFT: Oct 16 date to be pushed back? | Mavs get #18 & #31 - Scott41theMavs - 09-07-2020

(09-07-2020, 11:13 AM)burekemde Wrote:
(09-07-2020, 10:37 AM)Kammrath Wrote:

Its good to be realistic. What would it require more to move up?

'25

RE: DRAFT: Oct 16 date to be pushed back? | Mavs get #18 & #31 - ItsGoTime - 09-07-2020

We've been talking about a lot of guys we like that are a bit of a stretch to get at 18. Bos has the 26 and 30, but I don't think those 2 are worth the 18 and I'd be looking for more from them to sweeten that deal. Any thoughts on that? There is no way Bos is gonna make and keep 3 first round guaranteed contracts IMO. There has to be a trade there somehow.

What about 18 and 31 for NO 13 and 40? Maybe the 60 instead of 40?

RE: DRAFT: Oct 16 date to be pushed back? | Mavs get #18 & #31 - omahen - 09-07-2020

(09-07-2020, 01:45 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: We've been talking about a lot of guys we like that are a bit of a stretch to get at 18. Bos has the 26 and 30, but I don't think those 2 are worth the 18 and I'd be looking for more from them to sweeten that deal. Any thoughts on that? There is no way Bos is gonna make and keep 3 first round guaranteed contracts IMO. There has to be a trade there somehow.

Boston also has 14, so 18 is not really big improvement from them. I guess they would prefer to go above 14 or switch for future picks.

(09-07-2020, 01:45 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: What about 18 and 31 for NO 13 and 40? Maybe the 60 instead of 40?

18+31 sounds about right for 13. #60 is neglectable here. Problem is, NO has 3 second round picks, so they don't really need 31.

RE: DRAFT: Oct 16 date to be pushed back? | Mavs get #18 & #31 - Kammrath - 09-07-2020

(09-07-2020, 01:45 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: What about 18 and 31 for NO 13 and 40? Maybe the 60 instead of 40?

I think 18+31 for 13+60 would probably be about the right value frame. Just a guess in the dark.

RE: DRAFT: Oct 16 date to be pushed back? | Mavs get #18 & #31 - DanSchwartzgan - 09-07-2020

(09-07-2020, 02:12 PM)Kammrath Wrote:

I think 18+31 for 13+60 would probably be about the right value frame. Just a guess in the dark.

That is about what the value charts say.  60 is worthless.  Basically first choice in the undrafted FA class for Donnie to put in Frisco.

I’m not sure NO wants more picks.  A site I read has them considering trading out for some veteran help or up as part of a bigger deal.  13 isn’t deemed good enough to help their young core.  Their big decisions revolve around Ball and Holiday.  Is Holiday the right guy to invest in in 21 (or an extension sooner).  He’s a local favorite, but not the right age for Ingram and Zion.  Sell high?  And what about Ball who will be RFA in 21.  Do they want to reward him for quitting on them in the Bubble?  Can they trade him to NY and pick swap up to 8?

RE: DRAFT: Oct 16 date to be pushed back? | Mavs get #18 & #31 - Hypermav - 09-07-2020

I hope the Mavs get as lucky as the Cowboys did in the draft.  Who would be a CeeDee Lamb type player to drop?  I think Vassel or Okoro would match that level of "luck" at 18.  I seriously doubt it would happen, but always fun to dream.  Mavs get Okoro and they promptly trade him for a veteran...

RE: DRAFT: Oct 16 date to be pushed back? | Mavs get #18 & #31 - MaxiThreeba - 09-07-2020

Cole Anthony is the type of guy Luka could seriously unlock.

He has very solid finishing skills and is a well above average ball handler. His shot is not as broke as the percentages would lead you to believe. He played for a UNC team that was offensively inept.

Mavs fans should empathize with him because his inefficiency was largely a product of having to bail the offense out and/or be the only true offensive threat on the floor....sound familiar??

He has the athleticism to be a plus defender and you’ve gotta like the pedigree there too.

He could be ideal as a second playmaker who can run a bench unit at times but who plays his best minutes with Luka.

I’d love to use 18, 31 and an additional purchased first rounder to move around as needed so that the end result is Anthony and a wing prospect.

RE: DRAFT: Oct 16 date to be pushed back? | Mavs get #18 & #31 - 903Mavs - 09-07-2020

I wouldn’t be opposed to trading back into the 20s to select Bane, the shooting guard from TCU. Local kid and like THJ with discretion. Low ceiling, high floor kind of prospect. Trading back with the Celtics would allow the Mavs to get a draft and stash prospect who could be beneficial in a deal for a veteran wing or big.

RE: DRAFT: Oct 16 date to be pushed back? | Mavs get #18 & #31 - Tyler - 09-07-2020

(09-07-2020, 02:52 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: And what about Ball who will be RFA in 21.  Do they want to reward him for quitting on them in the Bubble?  Can they trade him to NY and pick swap up to 8?

Not a bad idea on its own merits, but I do find the prospect of NY slowly accumulating all of the PGs from the 2017 draft kinda funny. I'd love to be a fly on the wall when Ball, Ntilikina, and Smith all get benched for Elfrid Payton.

RE: DRAFT: Oct 16 date to be pushed back? | Mavs get #18 & #31 - DrMav - 09-07-2020

(09-07-2020, 07:20 PM)903Mavs Wrote: I wouldn’t be opposed to trading back into the 20s to select Bane, the shooting guard from TCU. Local kid and like THJ with discretion. Low ceiling, high floor kind of prospect. Trading back with the Celtics would allow the Mavs to get a draft and stash prospect who could be beneficial in a deal for a veteran wing or big.
Admittedly a bit biased as a TCU fan, but would love to grab Desmond Bane.

Very nice outside stroke and, while not overly athletic, works hard and was a plus on the defensive end. A valuable contributor all 4 years at TCU, years where we finally weren’t the doormat of the Big 12, made the NCAA tournament and won the NIT.

RE: DRAFT: Oct 16 date to be pushed back? | Mavs get #18 & #31 - Scott41theMavs - 09-07-2020

Even though I am resigned to the Mavs' trading the pick, I would far more prefer that they would trade up and get a guy whom they think can not just contribute, but start right away. I think Saddiq Bey does fit the bill, but I think they have to have a pick in the 9-10 range to get him. Think of the value of a player like that still being on his rookie contract when Luka gets his first max extension.

RE: DRAFT: Oct 16 date to be pushed back? | Mavs get #18 & #31 - chaparral - 09-08-2020

What spot range do you think the Mavs could move up to with this package, # 18, 31 and Brunson?