MavsBoard
NEWS: RC out | Kidd hired as head coach & assembling staff - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: NEWS: RC out | Kidd hired as head coach & assembling staff (/showthread.php?tid=1045)

RE: NEWS: RC out in DAL | new GM + Dirk want Kidd | DAL in negotiations - ItsGoTime - 06-24-2021

I think Dirk's decision making is based on whatever will get him out of the job he is doing.

Dirk: You want Finley to be PoBO? I endorse that. You want Kidd as coach? I endorse that. Where's my check and when can I go home to eat ice cream with my family?

RE: NEWS: RC out in DAL | new GM + Dirk want Kidd | DAL in negotiations - BigDirk41 - 06-24-2021

(06-24-2021, 07:11 PM)hakeemfaan Wrote: Kidd has had two chances and was nothing great. Plus if just being a great guy, awesome PG and a legend was enough, then Magic would have been a great coach.

That's why I said hopefully he has learned a lot in LA. If he hasn't, then it probably won't work out. I'm hopeful he's learned from Vogel.

RE: NEWS: RC out in DAL | new GM + Dirk want Kidd | DAL in negotiations - KillerLeft - 06-24-2021

I'm really torn by this Kidd thing. 

First off, if Mosley isn't ready (my gut feeling is that he really must not be, if he's not getting this job, given all that we know about him, Luka, etc), then I'm pleasantly surprised by this news. It's not shocking in a vacuum, because Kidd has ties here. But, I am not embarrassed to say I didn't really feel like this was a real possibility. Them going against the "whatever Luka wants" narrative (within reason) is, imo, a good thing. Get the right guy for the job, and good things will happen. If Luka is the type not to accept that (I don't think he's nearly the drama queen people assume) then he was never going to stay here, anyway. So...GOOD job, Cuban.

On the other hand, I kind of don't have a really high opinion of Kidd as a head coach. I don't view him as an up-and-comer, really. I'm skeptical that he's going to do here what guys like Spo, Stevens, Nurse and other recent young coaches have done. He just doesn't seem to be as intellectual as he needs to be to succeed, to my thinking. I'm not saying he's dumb AT ALL (how would I know, anyway), but he just doesn't give off the "college professor" vibe that most great NBA coaches do. It's something about the way he carries himself. I think he was pretty bad in Milwaukee, too. So...yuck, Cuban.

Having said all that, I don't KNOW that Kidd can't do it, and lord knows there's a genius basketball brain in there, if he can just manage to get it out and into tangible, applicable form for the team. I suppose my immediate take on this swings more strongly towards the optimistic. I am genuinely shocked that they didn't just decide Luka wanted Mosley and give him the job, and I strongly feel like that's a good sign. Doing things that make Luka happy should be the goal, but long-term happiness and fulfillment are worth more than "yay, my pal got a promotion" in my book.

RE: NEWS: RC out in DAL | new GM + Dirk want Kidd | DAL in negotiations - Mavs2021 - 06-24-2021

(06-24-2021, 07:02 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1408213696745254914

Is Cuban trying to get us to hate Dirk?

All due respect to the Legend, but what in the world is he qualified to make coaching and GM decisions/recommendations?

He was the superstar that cared the least about FO business (coaching, player recuitment, franchise strategies), when he was an active player!!!

He just showed up and did his job AS A PLAYER.

I also think Dirk is a big softie with a heart of gold, who´d never like to hurt his friend Cuban with some straight talk.

Do we have to bring up that Dirk nearly married a con artist? Cry

See now I sound like a Dirk hater. F*** Cuban.

RE: NEWS: RC out in DAL | new GM + Dirk want Kidd | DAL in negotiations - cow - 06-24-2021

(06-24-2021, 07:11 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I think Dirk's decision making is based on whatever will get him out of the job he is doing.

Dirk: You want Finley to be PoBO? I endorse that. You want Kidd as coach? I endorse that. Where's my check and when can I go home to eat ice cream with my family?

I think that's a touch disrespectful to Dirk.  I can easily and understandably see his judgement clouded by his past.  He often said playing with Kidd was like having a coach on the floor but that team was full of veterans and probably didn't need a coach 95% of the time.

RE: NEWS: RC out in DAL | new GM + Dirk want Kidd | DAL in negotiations - Kammrath - 06-24-2021

https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1408216468265832453

RE: NEWS: RC out in DAL | new GM + Dirk want Kidd | DAL in negotiations - ClutchDirk - 06-24-2021

I hope.it is a new day at Mavs HQ...

I bet it is the same old sh!t and I'll be eating a lot of tums...

RE: NEWS: RC out in DAL | new GM + Dirk want Kidd | DAL in negotiations - VintagePejav2 - 06-24-2021

Hoping for the absolute best for Jason Kidd.
The real question… who is this mystery to-be-hired executive?

RE: NEWS: RC out in DAL | new GM + Dirk want Kidd | DAL in negotiations - ItsGoTime - 06-24-2021

(06-24-2021, 07:19 PM)cow Wrote: I think that's a touch disrespectful to Dirk.  I can easily and understandably see his judgement clouded by his past.  He often said playing with Kidd was like having a coach on the floor but that team was full of veterans and probably didn't need a coach 95% of the time.
I think that's taking the post a little too seriously.

RE: NEWS: RC out in DAL | new GM + Dirk want Kidd | DAL in negotiations - ClutchDirk - 06-24-2021

(06-24-2021, 07:24 PM)VintagePejav2 Wrote: Hoping for the absolute best for Jason Kidd.

Since all past generations are represented it must be Harp or Blackman from the 80s...

RE: NEWS: RC out in DAL | new GM + Dirk want Kidd | DAL in negotiations - cow - 06-24-2021

(06-24-2021, 07:25 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I think that's taking the post a little too seriously.

I think we are underestimating how seriously Dirk is taking his post.

RE: NEWS: RC out in DAL | new GM + Dirk want Kidd | DAL in negotiations - SleepingHero - 06-24-2021

(06-24-2021, 07:18 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Having said all that, I don't KNOW that Kidd can't do it, and lord knows there's a genius basketball brain in there, if he can just manage to get it out and into tangible, applicable form for the team. I suppose my immediate take on this swings more strongly towards the optimistic. I am genuinely shocked that they didn't just decide Luka wanted Mosley and give him the job, and I strongly feel like that's a good sign. Doing things that make Luka happy should be the goal, but long-term happiness and fulfillment are worth more than "yay, my pal got a promotion" in my book.

1 thing I am really excited for with this Kidd hiring is for him to be able to teach Luka the subtle nuances of an NBA game. Kidd was a master at controlling the tempo and understanding EXACTLY where the ball had to go in crunch time. Plus Kidd is known for his rule bending. He finds advantages in the subtlest of ways.

Really excited to see what he can show Luka.

RE: NEWS: RC out in DAL | new GM + Dirk want Kidd | DAL in negotiations - Mavs2021 - 06-24-2021

(06-24-2021, 07:24 PM)VintagePejav2 Wrote: Hoping for the absolute best for Jason Kidd.

John Hammond was the other GM that signed Jason Kidd. He was also the GM that actually took Giannis and didn´t just talk about it. He´s entering the 5th and final year of his contract in Orlando. I don´t know. He´s well known to Cuban, long time in the league, he likes to take big physical gambles in drafts (Giannis, Isaac, Bamba). I can see Orlando making a GM change before they enter the rebuild with a 5th and 8th draft pick. Maybe Orlando is holding out for a 2nd round pick to release Hammond. LOL.

https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1408221827940466690?s=20

(06-24-2021, 07:32 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Maybe Orlando is holding out for a 2nd round pick to release Hammond. LOL.

I just spit out my drink.  Thanks!

RE: NEWS: RC out in DAL | new GM + Dirk want Kidd | DAL in negotiations - SleepingHero - 06-24-2021

(06-24-2021, 07:35 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1408221827940466690?s=20

Giving the reigns to a rookie head coach instead of JKidd would probably be the only move that'd outrank it in catastrophic outcomes.

Look I like that Mosley has a fantastic relationship with the Mavs players, but the Mavs are certainly not in a position to experiment. Mosley's time was in 2016 when the Mavs decided to start losing for real (at least more than usual). 

I hope he stays on as an assistant.

https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/1408224079698546688

I have to think Billy King is under serious consideration as GM, cause ever since it all started to fall apart with the Cato article, you would think that the next news couldn´t be worse than the last, but Cuban has proven us wrong each time so far.

RE: NEWS: RC out in DAL | new GM + Dirk want Kidd | DAL in negotiations - KillerLeft - 06-24-2021

(06-24-2021, 07:49 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: I have to think Billy King is under serious consideration as GM, cause ever since it all started to fall apart with the Cato article, you would think that the next news couldn´t be worse than the last, but Cuban has proven us wrong each time so far.

You don't like Nico Harrison for President? 

I'm initially kind of impressed with that, personally. I don't know that much about him, but he seems like a legit business man. Do you have reason to disapprove?

RE: NEWS: RC out in DAL | Dirk want Kidd | DAL in negotiations with Nico Harrison - ClutchDirk - 06-24-2021

https://twitter.com/fishsports/status/1408226258295701504