MavsBoard
NEWS: RC out | Kidd hired as head coach & assembling staff - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: NEWS: RC out | Kidd hired as head coach & assembling staff (/showthread.php?tid=1045)

RE: NEWS: RC out in DAL | RC recommends Kidd | Kidd the new fav? - Kammrath - 06-24-2021

(06-24-2021, 05:14 PM)hakeemfaan Wrote: One thing I do like about Kidd is that he doesn’t give a rat’s rear about Cuban.

AND he has the vote of DIRK, which should go a long way.

RE: NEWS: RC out in DAL | Mosley favorite? | RC recommends Kidd - cow - 06-24-2021

(06-24-2021, 05:14 PM)hakeemfaan Wrote: One thing I do like about Kidd is that he doesn’t give a rat’s rear about Cuban.  I still remember him chuckling when some reporters conveyed Mark’s threat of never having Kidd’s jersey in the rafters after he went back on his word and signed with the Knicks.

That's actually kind of a concern on mine.  Kidd and loyalty.  How could or would he influence Luka in that regard.

RE: NEWS: RC out in DAL | RC recommends Kidd | Kidd the new fav? - Kammrath - 06-24-2021

(06-24-2021, 05:15 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Feeling bad for Jamahl. I wonder why Cuban doesn't like him as a head coach.

Maybe its not Cuban....maybe consultants and others within the organization are pointing Cuban toward Kidd. Hard to say.

RE: NEWS: RC out in DAL | RC recommends Kidd | Kidd the new fav? - Tyler - 06-24-2021

Quote:"In Skin's opinion: The Gambler ain't going nowhere, Jason Kidd is going to be the coach, Finley is staying in place and the new GM is going to be a relationship guy like a former agent, maybe even someone connected to Bill Duffy."

Not a fan of keeping Voulgaris around, but if he's hidden in a closet and we never see or hear from him directly then eventually we'll stop caring.

But Kidd + an agent connected to Duffy is a really interesting pairing in terms of recruiting free agents. Say what you want about Kidd's coaching ability, but players LOVE him. Dame specifically wants to play for him, and Giannis went to bat to try to help him keep his job in Milwaukee. That's a complete 180 from Carlisle. Combine that with a former agent running the roster building efforts, and we might actually have a legit path to solving the free agency frustrations we've all felt for years. 

Play with Luka. Play for Kidd. The president on the basketball side is a former player and not some suit. The GM is a former agent and understands your business interests. The owner wants to win and is willing to spend money to make it happen. 

I would enjoy seeing how that player-centric pitch works compared to the same old ineffective story we've been rolling out for more than a decade.

RE: NEWS: RC out in DAL | RC recommends Kidd | Kidd the new fav? - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 06-24-2021

I've always been a huge fan of Rick as a coach and thought it was always clear that he was a hard head (and he was always a bit of an asshole to the media in my opinion) but trusted him enough from a basketball standpoint to think that if a player (Rondo, Collison, Wright, the list goes on for a while) had noticeable issues with him or lost playing time that it was always on them.

It's getting to the point though where there is a ton of smoke to this fire and it would make a ton of sense for free agents not to want to play for a coach who has this reputation.  I mean every free agent we've ever gone after would have known someone who is close to them who has played for Rick at this point (I mean, imagine how many free agents first phone call about the Mavs was to Rondo, who's well respected by pretty much all players).  Now I'm starting to think that Indiana may have made a bad hire based on all this news considering their last coach was very not player friendly and that's why he's gone.  I mean, it was a long time ago but Rick basically got ran out of Detroit for not playing Tayshaun Prince and they went on to win the championship the very next year.  That feels like hard headedness as opposed to trying to put the best basketball product on the court.

All this to say that I will miss Rick the tactician but I am starting to become optimistic that better days are ahead of us.  At the end of the day, this is a players league and if Rick was pissing everyone off then (and I can't believe I currently feel this way) good riddance.

RE: NEWS: RC out in DAL | RC recommends Kidd | Kidd the new fav? - ItsGoTime - 06-24-2021

Because his strategy to make the guys play defense was to give out a WWE DPotG belt...as a defensive assistant...

(06-24-2021, 05:22 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: I am starting to become optimistic that better days are ahead of us.  At the end of the day, this is a players league and if Rick was pissing everyone off then (and I can't believe I currently feel this way) good riddance.

[Image: GreatIdioticHydatidtapeworm-size_restricted.gif]

https://twitter.com/fishsports/status/1408188844227371009

RE: NEWS: RC out in DAL | RC recommends Kidd | Kidd the new fav? - cow - 06-24-2021

What stage of grief are we in now?

RE: NEWS: RC out in DAL | RC recommends Kidd | Kidd the new fav? - ItsGoTime - 06-24-2021

(06-24-2021, 05:15 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Feeling bad for Jamahl. I wonder why Cuban doesn't like him as a head coach.
For the comment above ^^^^

RE: NEWS: RC out in DAL | RC recommends Kidd | Kidd the new fav? - fifteenth - 06-24-2021

(06-24-2021, 05:25 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/fishsports/status/1408188844227371009

Ha ha!!! So JKidd was at Fish's wedding?

(06-24-2021, 05:27 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: For the comment above ^^^^

I don't understand, pal

RE: NEWS: RC out in DAL | RC recommends Kidd | Kidd the new fav? - Thukydides - 06-24-2021

So this basically means, Bob will run the numbers in his office and tell Kidd the lineups and everything else, who will then communicate it to the players. That's actually not too bad. The question remains, who'll do the in game coaching, as Kidd has shown complete unability.

RE: NEWS: RC out in DAL | RC recommends (?) Kidd | Kidd the fav? - jesusshuttlesworth82 - 06-24-2021

Have some of you seen Kidd coach? He was like Marc Jackson in Golden State. One of the 5-6 worst coaches in the league. 

I guess it’s cool if either Vogel taught him some stuff in LA or we think the only function of a head coach is to attract free agents.

RE: NEWS: RC out in DAL | RC recommends (?) Kidd | Kidd the fav? - Kammrath - 06-24-2021

(06-24-2021, 05:29 PM)Thukydides Wrote: who'll do the in game coaching, as Kidd has shown complete unability.

Kidd is a lot different than his first years as coach AND strong assistants are a huge part of the NBA game anyway. Not a big deal if it isn't his strong suit.

RE: NEWS: RC out in DAL | RC recommends Kidd | Kidd the new fav? - cow - 06-24-2021

(06-24-2021, 05:29 PM)Thukydides Wrote: So this basically means, Bob will run the numbers in his office and tell Kidd the lineups and everything else, who will then communicate it to the players. That's actually not too bad. The question remains, who'll do the in game coaching, as Kidd has shown complete unability.

Jose Juan Barea

RE: NEWS: RC out in DAL | RC recommends (?) Kidd | Kidd the fav? - SwisherPrice - 06-24-2021

I don't think Mosley was a serious candidate internally and maybe RC even knew it. It was just a popular/predictable pick because of the Luka quote after the Knicks game. Cuban was always going to go for the splashiest hire possible and I don't think he'd go with a rookie coach. Kidd makes sense and it's gotta be his job to lose at this point...if he has to choose between Dallas and Portland.

RE: NEWS: RC out in DAL | RC recommends (?) Kidd | Kidd the fav? - cow - 06-24-2021

(06-24-2021, 05:29 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: Have some of you seen Kidd coach? He was like Marc Jackson in Golden State. One of the 5-6 worst coaches in the league. 

I guess it’s cool if either Vogel taught him some stuff in LA or we think the only function of a head coach is to attract free agents.

Marc Jackson makes my eye twitch.  Harrison Barnes hated Marc Jackson and I'm pretty sure that guy likes everyone.

If Kidd can help us get our roster in order, we can Avery Johnson him when the time is right.

RE: NEWS: RC out in DAL | RC recommends Kidd | Kidd the new fav? - fifteenth - 06-24-2021

(06-24-2021, 05:26 PM)cow Wrote: What stage of grief are we in now?

Let's see, there are verious things to grieve....

JKidd as possible head coach....grief level 0, I think he could be a good coach
Jamahl not getting the job........grief level 3, I had warmed up to him as coach
Rick being a tremendous jerk....grief level 4, That one hurts a bit because I've been defending him since forever 
Being wrong about everything...grief level 5, been wrong lots, so not biggie, but being wrong about everything all at once ->  Sad

Happy for -> Fin

RE: NEWS: RC out in DAL | RC recommends (?) Kidd | Kidd the fav? - mavsluvr - 06-24-2021

(06-24-2021, 05:17 PM)Tyler Wrote:
Quote:"In Skin's opinion: The Gambler ain't going nowhere, Jason Kidd is going to be the coach, Finley is staying in place and the new GM is going to be a relationship guy like a former agent, maybe even someone connected to Bill Duffy."
Love Skin, and don't want to rain on any parades, but Ben and Skin are not generally in a position to break news about front office decisions at the Mavs. 

Did Skin indicate that he has sources for this that aren't generally available to everyone?

RE: NEWS: RC out in DAL | RC recommends (?) Kidd | Kidd the fav? - Thukydides - 06-24-2021

I was making fun of any franchise, which was rumored to be in play for a Kidd gig. To watch Dallas be the stupid one to actually give him the keys is beyond comical. I wonder, why Cuban doesn't just take on coach and GM roles himself. I mean, he's the smartest guy, who's ever lived on planet earth, he should be capable ot doing that