MavsBoard
NEWS: RC out | Kidd hired as head coach & assembling staff - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: NEWS: RC out | Kidd hired as head coach & assembling staff (/showthread.php?tid=1045)

RE: NEWS: RC out in DAL | Mosley favorite? | new GM before coach hire - omahen - 06-17-2021

(06-17-2021, 06:54 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: It feels like the new coach is going to have a tricky situation with Luka.  It certainly appears he is immature and  is not the easiest guy to coach. 

I think some of his actions are taken way too seriously. He is an outspoken guy, he is a passionate guy. He gets heated and says stuff. Doesn't mean he doesn't listen to coach, he wants to run a franchise or wants a guy out if he yells at him a couple of times. It also doesn't mean Luka will want a guy out if that guy yells at Luka a couple of time. Mosley is still there despite slapping him Smile Not unless everyone will be telling him he can do whatever he wants. This is what I am most affraid of. I don't think we have near similar level of player empowerment in Europe. But, this is also on agent. Duffy has to know players are to play ball, coaches are to coach and managers to manage. People around Luka can't allow to jump after every Luka wish. They are the grown ups, they have to talk to him. Ingame, I guess you can just yell back at him. 

I also think this season was different because it was quiet in the arena and people heard stuff. Stuff that was always happening, not just with Mavs. Its high pressure moments, people get mixed with emotions and say/yell stuff. It is also soon forgotten.

RE: NEWS: RC out in DAL | Mosley favorite? | new GM before coach hire - cow - 06-17-2021

(06-17-2021, 07:13 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I am not sure how he communicates, but he is one of very few who knows what Luka sees on the court.   And could potentially push back a little when needed.    When Kidd gets another shot, he needs a staff like Nash has in Brooklyn.    

They have the same gift which is why I like the idea despite my reservations.  It would also help alleviate the Rick doghouse fear the organization has to have had after some disastrous trades, drafts and player acquisitions.

RE: NEWS: RC out in DAL | Mosley favorite? | new GM before coach hire - Fuerza1 - 06-17-2021

I want Wes Unseld Jr. from DEN; imagine all he's learned from Jokic and Malone's system. Becky Hammond would be a close second. 

But we need to find the GM first; who is James Jones' right hand man in PHX? No way he's doing it all by himself.

RE: NEWS: RC out in DAL | Mosley favorite? | new GM before coach hire - omahen - 06-17-2021

(06-17-2021, 07:00 PM)cow Wrote: Luka needs to yelled at sometimes, hugged sometimes and left alone sometimes.  I don't think Rick ever understood that balancing act.

Exactly. Coaches in Europe yell a lot at players Smile But Luka has been in US for three years now...

RE: NEWS: RC out in DAL | Mosley favorite? | new GM before coach hire - mavsluvr - 06-17-2021

(06-17-2021, 07:17 PM)cjeter24 Wrote: 'm not sure about his x's and o's but a guy like Kidd is what we need.
This would surprise me at this point, especially considering the Mavs history. 

Dame wanted him in Portland, but they didn't pursue it because of the backlash. Kidd has a conviction for domestic abuse, and has been involved in a drunk driving incident. One could say these have nothing to do with coaching, but teams have PR considerations to think about. 

Of course with Mark at the helm, who knows?

RE: NEWS: RC out in DAL | Mosley favorite? | new GM before coach hire - Fuerza1 - 06-17-2021

(06-17-2021, 07:00 PM)cow Wrote: I think Luka is one of Rick's bigger failings.  He couldn't pull his normal hard ass routine with Luka because he's just never a Luka caliber talent before.  He went from being overcontrolling to just giving away the keys to the kingdom (that submarined our KP trade as much as anything).  I think Luka would do fine with a newer school of though ex-player coach like Kidd, Kerr, Lue, etc.  Coaching Xs and Os are important, but so is relationship building to the modern player.  Luka needs to yelled at sometimes, hugged sometimes and left alone sometimes.  I don't think Rick ever understood that balancing act.

Often times, the team takes on the personality of their coach. Rick Carlisle has no personality, fact. The guy is worse than a snoozefest 3:00 AM on a Monday. Smart guy though but that only takes you so far. Luka was too much of a star for him to handle.

RE: NEWS: RC out in DAL | Mosley favorite? | new GM before coach hire - dirkfansince1998 - 06-17-2021

(06-17-2021, 07:28 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote: fact.

That obviously makes it a fact. State an opinion. Follow it up with the word fact. For a guy without any personality he clashed with a lot of players and was ejected quite often.

RE: NEWS: RC out in DAL | Mosley favorite? | new GM before coach hire - Mak - 06-17-2021

(06-17-2021, 07:17 PM)cjeter24 Wrote: I'm not sure about his x's and o's but a guy like Kidd is what we need. 

https://youtu.be/9IiHRSBAMwU

RE: NEWS: RC out in DAL | Mosley favorite? | new GM before coach hire - Mavs2021 - 06-17-2021

I just want Cuban to keep calm here. It´s well within Carlisle´s right to resign, but don´t allow him to sign with another team without compensation.

I can totally see Cuban allow Rick to sign with the Bucks, Wizards, Celtics, Pelicans or Blazers to save his salary and get it over with, because who needs these disgusting draft picks anyway.

So wait with all the buyout negotiations until the new GM is in place, who´ll hopefully see the value in draft picks.

Boston is in the other conference and the 16th and 45th pick this year seem pretty fair compensation.

Lots of PF/C and PG/SG projected between 15 and 23.

RE: NEWS: RC out in DAL | Mosley favorite? | new GM before coach hire - DallasBasketball - 06-17-2021

I think coaching Luka should not be too difficult.

A. Be competent, Luka is going to shoulder most the load.
B. Be a champion, either as a player or a coach. There is no time for developing a coach while building a championship team.
C. Don’t lose the team. Be an asset to your players, raise their spirits and competitive level. 
D. Win or get lost. Again, see A and B. Better know what they are doing.

RE: NEWS: RC out in DAL | Mosley favorite? | new GM before coach hire - cow - 06-17-2021

(06-17-2021, 07:23 PM)omahen Wrote: Exactly. Coaches in Europe yell a lot at players Smile But Luka has been in US for three years now...

Thank you for catching my poetic side.   Heart

RE: NEWS: RC out in DAL | Mosley favorite? | new GM before coach hire - Chicagojk - 06-17-2021

(06-17-2021, 07:26 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: This would surprise me at this point, especially considering the Mavs history. 

Dame wanted him in Portland, but they didn't pursue it because of the backlash. Kidd has a conviction for domestic abuse, and has been involved in a drunk driving incident. One could say these have nothing to do with coaching, but teams have PR considerations to think about. 

Of course with Mark at the helm, who knows?

Good point.  I forgot about the domestic abuse in his past.   Yeah, for this franchise that would be difficult to explain.

RE: NEWS: RC out in DAL | Mosley favorite? | new GM before coach hire - DallasBasketball - 06-17-2021

F Vulgar Bob but does everyone remember The Last Dance docu series and how much Jordan and the Bulls hated their GM? If Vulgar Bob is truly a genius maybe Cuban knows what he is doing. I mean he is like 1 for 4 in his record 

Seth Curry W
Delon Wright L
Seth Curry traded for J Rich L
Josh Green L but could still flip to W

Not great odds even if he’s able to stay up 120 hours straight trading crypto.

In the end Jordan left bc the guy who signs checks wouldn’t write them anymore. Oh wait, that sounds familiar.

RE: NEWS: RC out in DAL | Mosley favorite? | new GM before coach hire - ClutchDirk - 06-17-2021

https://twitter.com/NBADraftWass/status/1405681473458483202?s=20

RE: NEWS: RC out in DAL | Mosley favorite? | new GM before coach hire - dirkfansince1998 - 06-17-2021

(06-17-2021, 07:47 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: https://twitter.com/NBADraftWass/status/1405681473458483202?s=20

Would love to know why the analytics favored Green. Not like he had better stats (boxscore or +/-) in college. Age, athleticism?

RE: NEWS: RC out in DAL | Mosley favorite? | new GM before coach hire - ClutchDirk - 06-17-2021

https://twitter.com/Anthonysmdoyle/status/1405640977881174018

(06-17-2021, 07:54 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Would love to know why the analytics favored Green. Not like he had better stats (boxscore or +/-) in college. Age, athleticism?

The dreaded measureables...

RE: NEWS: RC out in DAL | Mosley favorite? | new GM before coach hire - Mavs2021 - 06-17-2021

(06-17-2021, 07:47 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: https://twitter.com/NBADraftWass/status/1405681473458483202?s=20

Seriously this whole advanced analytics craze has gone too far, when we now judge athletic ability and personality based on statistical analysis rather than watching and talking to human beings. This is still the game of Steve Nash not John Nash.

But makes total sense from history that Nelson/Carlisle wanted Bey. Maybe we´ll get to see some more Green, Bey and Terry next year.

(06-17-2021, 07:54 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Would love to know why the analytics favored Green. Not like he had better stats (boxscore or +/-) in college. Age, athleticism?

What analytics those even are? If it´s about shooting form, rlease point, release pace, maybe they should have consulted the math professor that wrote a whole software about the perfect shooting angle7motion and trained this weird German player, what was his name again.

https://twitter.com/WorldWideWob/status/1405626838521724936

(06-17-2021, 07:56 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Seriously this whole advanced analytics craze has gone too far, when we now judge athletic ability and personality based on statistical analysis rather than watching and talking to human beings. This is still the game of Steve Nash not John Nash.

But makes total sense from history that Nelson/Carlisle wanted Bey. Maybe we´ll get to see some more Green, Bey and Terry next year.

What analytics those even are? If it´s about shooting form, rlease point, release pace, maybe they should have consulted the math professor that wrote a whole software about the perfect shooting angle7motion and trained this weird German player, what was his name again.
Seriously just have Holger work prospects in the pre draft workouts...