Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
2020-2021 ROSTER TALK: Archived
(12-01-2020, 07:32 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: we need to understand that it's because Luka wanted it that way

I don't think Luka is involved in team building decisions. He is not LeBron or Harden, he will let others do their job while he focuses on his.
Like Reply
(12-01-2020, 07:39 PM)omahen Wrote:
(12-01-2020, 07:32 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: we need to understand that it's because Luka wanted it that way

I don't think Luka is involved in team building decisions. He is not LeBron or Harden, he will let others do their job while he focuses on his.

i’m not suggesting he’s like LeBron or Harden at all (thank God). But you are crazy if you don’t think Mark Cuban is aware of whether Luka wants a guy on the team or not. I think that in the case of a very young star who isn’t from this country they might value an experienced guy he’s close with, like Barea, more than we do. Those of us who remember Dirk’s early years know how crucial Nash was.

Just trying to help people look at this from a different perspective.
Like Reply
(12-01-2020, 07:32 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Something I'd very much like to put on everyone's radar:

We all think Barea will be the odd man out at the end of camp, and that might just be the case, but...

...if Barea makes it onto the roster, we need to understand that it's because Luka wanted it that way. It's no secret that Barea is tight with both Luka and KP, and honestly, if they think there's something to be gained by keeping him around, it's not that big of a deal. Demonstrating to both of them that the team knows how to treat its loyal vets is probably not a bad idea, when all is said and done.
I don't think Luka cares one way or the other, and if the FO is making their decisions based that much on how Luka feels, it's gonna turn out no different than LeBron in Cle.

(12-01-2020, 07:52 PM)KillerLeft Wrote:
(12-01-2020, 07:39 PM)omahen Wrote:

i’m not suggesting he’s like LeBron or Harden at all (thank God). But you are crazy if you don’t think Mark Cuban is aware of whether Luka wants a guy on the team or not. I think that in the case of a very young star who isn’t from this country they might value an experienced guy he’s close with, like Barea, more than we do. Those of us who remember Dirk’s early years know how crucial Nash was.

Just trying to help people look at this from a different perspective.
Didn't see Omahen's reply before posting mine. 

So, you don't think that's overthinking things a bit too much? I do. I think Luka has plenty of players on the team to make him happy.
Like Reply
When training camp starts and they lace 'em up, and JJ sees who and what he has to compete with, perhaps he'll find out what he's dealing with. That the game, or the speed of the game, has passed him by. Or not. Could be he'll see he can still compete. Or not. With the pandemic, it won't be easy joining another team, or finding another roster spot. I'm fine with JJ getting another dose of Mark's money, then doing whatever. I'm excited at the prospects of the young guys and hate to see JJ causing one of 'em to be lost. With the covid, they may just expand the rosters a bit, alter the rules, like the NFL has done, and make a guy like JJ more useful than we think. As a healthy guy who can play, if nothing else.
Like Reply
(12-02-2020, 07:24 AM)david75090 Wrote: With the covid, they may just expand the rosters a bit, alter the rules, like the NFL has done, and make a guy like JJ more useful than we think. As a healthy guy who can play, if nothing else.

This is my theory also.  Dallas could really use a 3rd PG if Luka or Brunson get sick/hurt.  I don't see Iwundu being cut with the second year of his deal being guaranteed.  Does it make sense to cut WCS or Boban with so much uncertainty around KP and Powell?  The league is already going to let the 2-ways be available on a game basis instead of a day basis.  Maybe there is a protocol we don't know about for expanding rosters further in the case of several players being out at the same time.
Like Reply
(12-02-2020, 08:14 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote:
(12-02-2020, 07:24 AM)david75090 Wrote: With the covid, they may just expand the rosters a bit, alter the rules, like the NFL has done, and make a guy like JJ more useful than we think. As a healthy guy who can play, if nothing else.

This is my theory also.  Dallas could really use a 3rd PG if Luka or Brunson get sick/hurt.  I don't see Iwundu being cut with the second year of his deal being guaranteed.  Does it make sense to cut WCS or Boban with so much uncertainty around KP and Powell?  The league is already going to let the 2-ways be available on a game basis instead of a day basis.  Maybe there is a protocol we don't know about for expanding rosters further in the case of several players being out at the same time.

If that was the case (they SHOULD do that), don't you think we'd have heard about it by now?
Like Reply
Can't see how Barea doesn't get cut. They didn't give multi-year deals to Iwandu, WCS, and Burke to cut them. They're not cutting the rookies or Brunson. Barea is the one who got the one-year vet minimum, i.e. "thank you for everything you've done for us, have some money and become a coach."
Like Reply
(12-02-2020, 09:05 AM)Branduil Wrote: Can't see how Barea doesn't get cut. They didn't give multi-year deals to Iwandu, WCS, and Burke to cut them. They're not cutting the rookies or Brunson. Barea is the one who got the one-year vet minimum, i.e. "thank you for everything you've done for us, have some money and become a coach."

I would understand that logic, except that the Mavs have cut players resulting in dead money repeatedly...
I think that JJB is a different case in that as a coach who stays with the team, they have an 18th man in case of a trade - OR when the season gets to the point they can start using 10 day contracts for injured players. OBTW, JJB would get even more money for being here.

IF I was rooting to keep all of the rookies and young FA's we have added, I would think a trade is much more of a threat than JJB.

My question is can a contract be "unconverted?" What I mean is that a 2-way contract can be converted into a minimum contract if the player plays in a certain number of games, could a player like Terry be turned into a 2-way contract if a trade happened.
Let's say that Dallas traded THJ and JJ for 3 players; Dallas would then have to waive a player to make the incoming traded players fit on the roster. Could Dallas make Terry become an assigned 2-Way and waive the kid from Houston to make it fit?
Like Reply
(12-02-2020, 08:27 AM)KillerLeft Wrote:
(12-02-2020, 08:14 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote:

If that was the case (they SHOULD do that), don't you think we'd have heard about it by now?

Yeah, we should've heard something by now. I guess I'm not giving them credit for seeing the situation. Covid is going to be a disruption. Maybe the vaccines are a game-changer. I don't know. Saw where GS already has a couple of positive tests. That's a stop-down, which can affect more than one team and the entire league. More players are going to be needed just to keep things going. The G-league players can be utilized. The NBA is going to have to loosen up. Sooner rather than later. Surely they're talking about it.
Like Reply
Rick mentioned at least 3 times in his press conference that “having JJ around for TRAINING CAMP is huge”. I think that’s as much of a clue we will get that he will be cut right before the season starts. Maybe there is a publicly unknown Covid roster spot that will be available. Maybe JJ hangs out at the facility for the 1-2 months after camp and before trade season heats up
Like Reply
I was surprised the NBA didn’t add 2 minimum contact spots to each roster to allow some cover for COVID and for the condensed season.

I think there will be a massive amount of players resting during the season.
A lot of games will end up one sided contests.
Like Reply
Here is the latest contract info....updating OP as well....

[Image: Screenshot-2020-12-02-at-4.01.27-PM.png]
Like Reply
^JJB hate detected!!!
Like Reply
(12-02-2020, 05:08 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: ^JJB hate detected!!!

[Image: 1Hsw.gif]
Like Reply
(12-02-2020, 05:08 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: ^JJB hate detected!!!

JJB "hate" applauded!!
Like Reply
With cap space for next season if they want to sign Giannis and keep Richardson it would require him opting in and dumping Powell?
Or if Richardson opts out they would also have to dump Klieber?
Since Richardson would have a high cap hold, $17mil approx
Like Reply
(12-02-2020, 05:41 PM)Aussiebballer Wrote: With cap space for next season if they want to sign Giannis and keep Richardson it would require him opting in and dumping Powell?

Depends on if they could sign Richardson to a smaller amount...
Like Reply
(12-02-2020, 05:41 PM)Aussiebballer Wrote: With cap space for next season if they want to sign Giannis and keep Richardson it would require him opting in and dumping Powell?

Man that would be a great problem to have. No doubt Mavs would figure out a way to keep their best players. I am of the mind that he will sign the Supermax and if you ever want a shot at Giannis it will be bc he forces his way out in a year or two. In that scenario you are giving up KP as your main piece and doing so gladly.

I am 99% sure Richardson will opt out. For him to opt in he would have had to have an awful year and/or a career altering injury. I expect him to have a good to great season and be worth at least starter level money at 15 mil+, likely even above his cap hold of 17ish mil. Jerami Grant got 3/60 so I could see J Rich getting something like that off a statistically good year with some playoff success.

With 65M in capholds and an estimate cap of 112, Mavs could have 47M with no opt-ins by my math. That would be you could do 17+ for J Rich (if necessary) while still leaving 30M left for THJ and another starting-level player assuming no big fish are left in that 30M to max range.

THJ's value is hard to gauge but I expect his deal to look team-friendly. I think Mavs are going to want a 2 or 3 deal at the most. Many teams are handing out less 4 year deals these days. Mavs could do like 3 for 30 which would be Crowder-level money or a 2/30 which we have seen more players get. In a 2 year deal you get an expiring contract the next year which we know the Mavs like.

THJ is a good player but I think his interest across the league will be limited and perhaps MLE-level if not slightly above MLE given his limitations. That would put him more in that Crowder 10 mil/yr type range.

All that to say I think you could have a pretty solid roster headed into 2021 where you do retain J Rich, potentially retain or upgrade THJ and/or add an additional starter perhaps to upgrade DFS's position.

Jerami Grant is one to watch bc I could see a situation where Detroit stinks and they are like why are we paying a 3D guy 60 mil when we are 10th place in the East? That could lead to a situation where Mavs could get him for cheap with 2 years left on his deal (just an idea). In that scenario you retain your guys and bring in Grant as that 5th starter and as an upgrade over DFS. This makes DFS expendable potentially or you can move him to the bench.
Like Reply
(12-02-2020, 05:03 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Here is the latest contract info....updating OP as well....

[Image: Screenshot-2020-12-02-at-4.01.27-PM.png]
That salary chart is so beautiful it feels like looking at the statue of David. We have set things up so perfectly. Feels good dude

Stretch waive of Powell would be 3 years of $5.6 million since the final year of his contract is guaranteed only $6 million. Also possibly re-sign Richardson to have his contract start at a number lower than his cap hold
Like Reply
I guess what stands out to me in that chart is that Luka  has a 6'11" wingspan..wow
Like Reply