Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
YouTube TV dropping Fox Sports Southwest Feb 29
Anyone here YouTube TV subscribers? What are you planning to do?
Like Reply
Yeah I am. Don't know yet. thanks for the heads up

After doing some research, it looks like Hulu Live TV is pretty much the only option now unless you are doing streaming through carriers like ATT and TMobile which are twice the montly cost.

If you don't live in the Dallas area another option is League Pass but if you live in the area there are always local blackouts that prevent you from watching it via League Pass.
Like Reply
Looks like it will be all Fox Sports regionals. Though I don’t need it for Mavs due to league pass, would be a big blow during football season. May have to look for something else...again after PlayStation Vue folded already this year.
Like Reply
Well, this hits me right in the Gortats.
Like Reply
(02-27-2020, 03:29 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Anyone here YouTube TV subscribers? What are you planning to do?

Feb 29th ???

My Bad - Leap Year...
Like Reply
(02-27-2020, 06:25 PM)chaparral Wrote:
(02-27-2020, 03:29 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Anyone here YouTube TV subscribers? What are you planning to do?

Feb 29th ???
That's what I am seeing.  Maybe they will come to a last minute agreement but I will probably do a free trial of Hulu or ATT to see what happens in the mean time.

(02-27-2020, 06:32 PM)Hypermav Wrote:
(02-27-2020, 06:25 PM)chaparral Wrote:

Feb 29th ???
That's what I am seeing.  Maybe they will come to a last minute agreement but I will probably do a free trial of Hulu or ATT to see what happens in the mean time.
I renew 3/14.
Like Reply
I got rid of Dish a year ago for the same reason.  Now this.  I guess it's time to try Hulu.
Like Reply
I hate to miss Mavs games but it's pretty disruptive to change TV subscriptions. I don't watch a lot of TV outside of Mavs and Cowboys but my wife would be pretty annoyed if we switched to Hulu. I might just suffer with recaps for the time being and hope there's some 11th hour deal. I thought Hulu was okay but it still slips in ads sometimes in DVR. At any rate this sucks. I wish you could just get FSW a la cart.
Like Reply
I've been using hulu a few months.  2 things that suck:  I have a 3 year old samsung 4k tv that cost more than my first 3 cars and the hulu software available for it won't stream live, it only works with the on demand stuff, so I have to plug a PC into that TV.  Also the app uses a lot of resources so if you have an older PC it will lag a lot expecially at first.

I have a cheap TLC tv with Roku software and Hulu live works fantastic on it, so if you have an older tv that doesn't support the hulu live app the best option is probably get a Roku stick.

Also Hulu can be on 2 devices at once, which sucks compared to netflix, but at least you can share with one person and you don't have to be in the same house.
Like Reply

We switched to Hulu TV with enhanced cloud DVR. Seems pretty good so far and easy to record the games.
Like Reply
(02-27-2020, 07:35 PM)Mavsdemon Wrote:

We switched to Hulu TV with enhanced cloud DVR. Seems pretty good so far and easy to record the games.

I'm curious whether the cloud DVR allows you to skip through commercials.  I had to add Hulu this year to watch TCU football and Mav's basketball because the conflict between Dish and Fox rages on.  I love the technology with Dish.  You never have to watch a commercial.  

I tend to watch games a little behind the live action and I know how that works with Hulu (not as well as with Dish).  How is it if you watch the game after it is completed?
Like Reply
Wow I guess I'm lucky to have Direct TV since they carry FSSW and I can record to the DVR if I can't watch it live...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
Sinclair pushed back against YouTube TV’s explanation in an emailed statement to [i]The Verge[/i]. “We offered YouTube TV the best terms under which their competitors carry our regional sports networks,” a spokesperson said. “Unfortunately, they alone decided to drop these channels citing ‘rising costs’ despite our offer to actually lower the fees they pay us. We also offered to continue negotiating under a short-term extension so that their subscribers could continue to watch their favorite hometown teams. They’ve not yet responded to this offer. Given the ease with which YouTube TV subscribers can drop the service and switch providers, we are surprised that they’ve chosen this course.”

You Tube TV will not reduce rates either by dropping the Sinclair Fox Regional Sports.  

Really a shame since the service with FSSW was working perfectly for my needs.  No stupid dish on the roof, fair price, no long term commitments, local channels and easy to use cloud DVR.  I hope they work something out.
Like Reply
So I bought an Amazon Fire Stick 4k (on sale for $35).  The Hulu app works a lot better on there than the native app on my three year old TV.

Then I signed up for Hulu Live TV ($55 per month) + enhanced cloud DVR and multiple screens bundle ($15).

So it does cost $70 per month instead of the $50 per month Youtube TV did.  I just set it up and am going out of town so I can't answer the commercials questions yet.  I also start watching games on delay so I can skip through commercials.  Will report back Monday.

one small annoyance: my personalized tv guide is setup alphabetically.  meaning ABC shows up as the first channel on my tv guide.  haven't figured out how to customize it yet like youtube tv.
Like Reply
Tried it recording the 12pm sportscenter.  No issues fast forwarding or skipping ahead to a particular time ala Netflix.
Like Reply
Been using Hulu through a Roku device for about 3 years now. Was a little wonky at first, but it's getting better and better. I think Disney owns part of it (maybe all with the Fox Entertainment buy?) so the experience is there. 

DVR is not ideal as it's a cloud DVR and you don't have all the options available on a hardware DVR, but it does the trick. Records every Mav game and I can speed watch it afterwards. Fast Fwd is locked during commercials, but you can do things like speed through all of halftime (which is mostly commercials with a few seconds of talk in between) and only have to watch the last commercial break. Watching afterwards I can skip the tedious parts and take about an hour off the live watching time.
Like Reply
(02-28-2020, 08:53 AM)Hypermav Wrote: Sinclair pushed back against YouTube TV’s explanation in an emailed statement to [i]The Verge[/i]. “We offered YouTube TV the best terms under which their competitors carry our regional sports networks,” a spokesperson said. “Unfortunately, they alone decided to drop these channels citing ‘rising costs’ despite our offer to actually lower the fees they pay us. We also offered to continue negotiating under a short-term extension so that their subscribers could continue to watch their favorite hometown teams. They’ve not yet responded to this offer. Given the ease with which YouTube TV subscribers can drop the service and switch providers, we are surprised that they’ve chosen this course.”

You Tube TV will not reduce rates either by dropping the Sinclair Fox Regional Sports.  

Really a shame since the service with FSSW was working perfectly for my needs.  No stupid dish on the roof, fair price, no long term commitments, local channels and easy to use cloud DVR.  I hope they work something out.

Hmm I hope this staring contest gets resolved. I don't want the disruption of switching to Hulu which I didn't enjoy as much as Youtube. Sometimes Hulu would force commercials on FSSW DVR playback for some reason. If they don't get this resolved by next season I will have to switch.
Like Reply
I haven't figured out how to automatically record all Mavs games on Hulu without having to add every game individually. Do I have to pay extra for the enhanced cloud dvr to do that?
Like Reply
(02-28-2020, 07:37 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote:
(02-27-2020, 07:35 PM)Mavsdemon Wrote:

I'm curious whether the cloud DVR allows you to skip through commercials.  I had to add Hulu this year to watch TCU football and Mav's basketball because the conflict between Dish and Fox rages on.  I love the technology with Dish.  You never have to watch a commercial.  

I tend to watch games a little behind the live action and I know how that works with Hulu (not as well as with Dish).  How is it if you watch the game after it is completed?
Yes, at least with the enhanced cloud DVR you can fast forward through the ads, and you can start watching the recording even while the game is still recording. The interface is a little less intuitive than YTTV, but as with YouTube you can set the DVR to record all Mavs games without having to select each game manually. I think HTV is a little more expensive with the enhanced DVR, and unlike YTTV, you are limited to 200 hours on the DVR.
Like Reply
I'll be switching to Hulu Sunday if they don't come to a agreement. I'm not missing Mavs games.
Like Reply