Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.2 Average
Mike Fisher and Maven/SI
I have been rather busy recently, so I haven't had to time to really address this. I didn't mean to let this linger as long as it did. The first (less than) two weeks of this whole thing and its existence, Mike Fisher and I were playing phone tag a lot, haha. Mostly my fault, I have a huge workload and my schedule is filled so that I have one class/work and then have fifteen min to get to the next and so on. I appreciate all of your patience with me in various board issues, and also just the overall future development of this site and its longevity and our plans with our logo/name and our association with Mike Fisher. 

I know that some of you are frustrated with the other site at SI. That is precisely why I built this. I did so to help Fish, and to keep the band together. I have been on these boards and lurked a lot, had various aliases that you all are mostly aware of now. I have known(internet kind of known, haha) you all for nearly two decades of my life. I owe all of my experiences and good times and arguments that families have to Mike Fister. He created this community and he worked hard at the various journalist companies he has worked for. 

Working in Media isn't easy. I am personally building a Media Production Company, myself. Qabick Cents Productions. The main site of this one. I intend on it having news, music, films, podcasts, articles on every subject imaginable from sports, to religion/philosophy, to politics, to business, to all entertainment fields, etc. So some of the articles on it now are disproportionately heavy in the religious philosophical stuff, but that is just because I have two great writers in that field that do that now. I am trying to get more sports articles and would LOVE anyone's interest in writing Mavs articles or NBA or any sports article on my main site. Heck, about any subject you are passionate about, so long as you have the writing chops to write a well-written article, and handle some editorial scrutiny for quality, then I would love to have any of you and your interests shared as published articles on my site. Once I see you can write great articles without much help in editing for grammar, and/or you aren't going off the rails too much, and it remains professional? I then get out of my writer's way and let them have the freedom to explore writing what they want to write about. It will continue to grow, and say think of TheRinger. How they have tons of podcasts on all types of subjects. I will continue to find various content producers and musicians and my films I am making etc... 

I am saying this all because I know how hard it is to build and then sustain. I never built this forum to be a form of competition against Mike Fisher. He and I are like cousins. I spoke to him on the phone and I asked him about the logo situation and he approves and likes the idea of the similar logo yet different. So we are in a good communication with him now, and he knows I am on his side to help him and his site as well. I am Mesa Maverick over there right now, but I will create a profile named Magickian over there too. (which btw a quick sidebar... Magic works.. but Magick is better... because the word is just Magician with an extra "k" in there and it is pronounced phonetically the same way.) 

I will begin to post over there and make an announcement there too showing our solidarity in this. I am just so busy, each step sometimes takes me a bit at a time that I can carve in for things. I just held my auditions for my first film yesterday and essentially got my cast, so that is exciting but that is an idea of the things I am working on, and why I am sometimes slow to contribute to posts. Not to mention I am doing a lot of admin work, I am hosting a weekly radio show on KMSA 91.3 FM where I am the Operations Manager, I am working for CMU-TV, I am the Vice President of my Honor Society, I am the Club Advisory Board Representative for Circle K International(a charity), I am in the Film Production Club, AND I am FOUNDING a Trail: Hiking and Running Club on campus as well. I am working on two films of mine, though one will shoot first, I am building and working with three companies, and doing full time school workload with fifteen credits. So yeah... I am busy haha 

We all wouldn't be here without Fish, and I owe that to him, and I made this site for him. Since it will remain autonomous from SI/Maven, we can still be on a good working/family style relationship with one another. The logo and wording and stylings can stay the same, but we should honor Fish the right way too. I would like it if someone would be interested in stepping up to write posts in this forum, for his articles much like things were done at the old sites. So this person would take the responsibility of taking each brand new article that Fish writes over at the main site over there, and making a blog thread post here with the link to the article and we can have a discussion within that thread about the things brought up into the article. If it is NBA and Mavs related it will be posted here, and if it is Cowboys or anything else? it goes in ROTW. 

OR we could create a Cowboy section if that's what yall want to keep it even out of ROTW... but I don't want to blend the Football stuff into this specific NBA forum... so let me know what yall want to do there. 

So then we are posting his article links and starting a thread here and this way some traffic goes back to Fish, and I think we owe that respect to him. 

I know some of you are frustrated, and I am okay with venting... but I am not in opposition of him, and I don't need to attack their boards over there and the styles it is, and I hope we can all move on from doing that as well. We should post in both places. I get this is easier to read format-wise and I am in agreement there, but they are still having some good conversations over there too. So let us all please have some more respect for what they are doing over there too. We can enjoy this site without having to attack their thing. Fish helped bring us all together in the first place, and I know some of you are not fans of his anymore which is odd considering it was always his community from his sites he built, which is why we came... I know the Mavs are the true core of why we are together... but Fish deserves respect and recognition for bringing us together in the first place. So this site will go on and always exist. I will make sure of it. As the years go on, I want the world to keep knowing we are a team with Fish and not against him. 

You all may not always like me neither hahaha I am not perfect. I am busy, so I won't always be instant to respond. I am doing a lot of things too. I know that everyone has been REALLY super nice to me and I appreciate all of the kind words and support I truly do... but we all may argue about Mavs once the season gets going and sometimes I may not be the nicest or best person you like that day hahaha. But that's why we should just remain like a family. Families fight and they argue and they have disagreements... but at the end of the day we sit down together and break bread together. 

Thank you all for coming on this journey with me on this new site. We will continue to grow and I have big plans for this exact Mavs forum, as well as the parent company and main site too.
Like Reply
It’s nothing personal I know I’m not wanted on that platform which is why I’ve been banned for the past 5 years so I’ll probably just stay here and enjoy talking about the mavs on this message board, plus I like this format better, but anybody who likes that platform and wants to mess around over there by all means should go for it nobody has to restrict themselves to one website, I also have many posts on various other boards. 

Posting the articles was a good idea though there could be a separate forum section exclusively for discussion of these articles if people wanted that but then again the maven platform is designed for commenting on articles so it might be redundant 

Long live qabickcents productions  Big Grin
"And Peja with the dagger."-balldontliez on 11/15/10 when Peja hit a 3 to put the hornets up 84-75 with 9 MIN LEFT!  Guess who won the game?  That's right, the mavericks." -msu15
Like Reply
I'm sure I can speak for everyone when I say we appreciate you time and dedication to helping us with this huge life raft when the boat was going down. Its awesome that we can keep it moving almost seamlessly thanks to your effort and the mods here even when you were probably way to busy to add this to your work load!

Thank You!

Side note if you ever need any help with business building or financing your businesses I can help. Also long time in film, music and production field as well... Let me know if you ever need anything!
Like Reply
Also remind me who was talking to me about the social media accounts. PM me again or text me, and I’ll get you the login info. Let’s get these social media accounts rolling and get some more traffic here!

Any graphic designers want to help make graphics?
Like Reply
(09-29-2019, 03:38 PM)Magickian Wrote: Magic works.. but Magick is better.

Great Post!  Well said Magick.  Big Grin
Like Reply
Glad there’s no animosity here and I hope it stays that way.

I understand that this is Fish’s livelihood, so if moving to SI made the most sense for him it’s hard to fault that even if it left the community hanging a bit. I hope that this can work out well for all parties with a board system here that works well for the community, but that things from Fish are actively placed on the board so that he receives traffic.

I haven’t made an account over there yet but keep checking the site for new articles and plan to give him my clicks still whether or not I formally sign up.
Like Reply
bump... was trying to make this a sticky... but it wasnt working ? weird...

but I just wanted this to have focus for awhile during the start of the season, for new people to see.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/Sam_Vecenie/status/1...3669423106

https://twitter.com/IsaacLHarris/status/...5392779264
Like Reply
(10-03-2019, 07:54 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/Sam_Vecenie/status/1...3669423106

https://twitter.com/IsaacLHarris/status/...5392779264
https://media.giphy.com/media/26FPy3QZQq.../giphy.gif
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/IsaacLHarris/status/...2309483522

https://twitter.com/tim_cato/status/1179871807685431296

https://twitter.com/ChrisPalmerNBA/statu...7943014400

https://twitter.com/JeffZillgitt/status/...2871236609
Like Reply
https://www.npr.org/2019/10/03/766929743/new-owners-of-sports-illustrated-set-massive-layoffs-journalists-rebel?fbclid=IwAR2TCI88q-D5RZuTxod8MqiRQHZI5D7IcRiqz5o5A001C2tUzt0HQ3xdTd4

NPR obtained a petition signed by approximately three-quarters of [i]Sports Illustrated[/i]'s journalists asking its new owners not to deliver control of the publication to a digital publisher named TheMaven network.
"TheMaven wants to replace top journalists in the industry with a network of Maven freelancers and bloggers, while reducing or eliminating departments that have ensured that the stories we publish and produce meet the highest standards," the petition reads. "These plans significantly undermine our journalistic integrity, damage the reputation of this long-standing brand and negatively [affect] the economic stability of the publication."

The new controlling executives include Ross Levinsohn, the controversial former [i]Los Angeles Times [/i]CEO. The plan as described in the journalists' petition appears to echo an earlier strategy by Levinsohn, who was appointed by Maven. As publisher of the [i]Los Angeles Times[/i] and an investor in a digital outfit called True/Slant, Levinsohn embraced a strategy he termed "gravitas with scale" — a model that was based in part on unpaid contributors and meant job losses for the traditional newsroom journalists in the Tribune publishing chain.

[Image: 04c.gif]
"And Peja with the dagger."-balldontliez on 11/15/10 when Peja hit a 3 to put the hornets up 84-75 with 9 MIN LEFT!  Guess who won the game?  That's right, the mavericks." -msu15
Like Reply
Well looks like Mavens' sketchy model is starting to do it's thing. This forum looks like a better decision by the day. Thank goodness for magickian for keeping this community alive man.
Like Reply
A business model of profiting off the unpaid or underpaid work of others. 

Just disgusting.

As James 5:1-6 says...

Quote:Listen, you rich people. Weep and moan for yourselves, for your collapse is coming! Your riches are bringing destruction and your expensive clothes are covered with death’s decay. Your money is poison and its poison will be a witness against you. Your money will consume you like fire, because you stored up wealth for the end of your life. Look! The pay you held back from the workers who helped you get rich, is crying out against you. The cries of your exploited workers have been heard by the Lord of all creation. You have lived in luxury and self-indulgence. You will be destroyed because you selfishly kept things for yourself and your family. You are responsible for the deaths of weak and innocent people who did nothing to hurt you.
Like Reply
Part of a bigger story really where the traditional news industry as we knew it, print and television, has had to change with the times and the tech revolution.
Like Reply
Interesting how Chris Palmer deleted his tweet about his interview with them being all about advertisements and clicks and generating cheap content and nothing about real journalism....I wonder who got to him....?
Like Reply
I got hear (and to Mavericks Maven) because of the SI scandal. Never been active on the old Scout/247/DB.com boards, and definitely won't follow Fish to Maven's community. The site is just ugly and not really feature rich. I don't know why you want to force blogging into a "mobile first social media"-like news stream anyway. Seems like trying to get the best of both worlds. Instead however it neither is a great place to interact (like social media or a classic message board), nor a great place for content (like an established CMS).

Looks like it is exactly what people said it would be: A clickbait factory with a focus on pumping out as much content as possible.
Former: Psychology BSc. Sports coverage for @weltfussball and @sportde. Writer at @mavsmoneyball. Now: Web Dev, Mavs fan.
[Image: MFSYrBp.png]
Twitter: j0Shi_f
Like Reply
(10-04-2019, 01:31 PM)j0Shi Wrote: I got hear (and to Mavericks Maven) because of the SI scandal. Never been active on the old Scout/247/DB.com boards, and definitely won't follow Fish to Maven's community. The site is just ugly and not really feature rich. I don't know why you want to force blogging into a "mobile first social media"-like news stream anyway. Seems like trying to get the best of both worlds. Instead however it neither is a great place to interact (like social media or a classic message board), nor a great place for content (like an established CMS).

Looks like it is exactly what people said it would be: A clickbait factory with a focus on pumping out as much content as possible.

Welcome.

You still write for MavsMoneyball?

https://twitter.com/RobertKlemko/status/...0430344192
Like Reply
(10-04-2019, 02:10 PM)Kammrath Wrote:
(10-04-2019, 01:31 PM)j0Shi Wrote: I got hear (and to Mavericks Maven) because of the SI scandal. Never been active on the old Scout/247/DB.com boards, and definitely won't follow Fish to Maven's community. The site is just ugly and not really feature rich. I don't know why you want to force blogging into a "mobile first social media"-like news stream anyway. Seems like trying to get the best of both worlds. Instead however it neither is a great place to interact (like social media or a classic message board), nor a great place for content (like an established CMS).

Welcome.

You still write for MavsMoneyball?

No. I contributed to the site between 2010 and 2012. I generally like blogging and thought about writing for MMB again, but his stuff makes it kinda hard to justify. On the other hand, this change in the media biz is inevitable anyway because of its consumers.

https://twitter.com/mattdpearce/status/1...3654048768
Former: Psychology BSc. Sports coverage for @weltfussball and @sportde. Writer at @mavsmoneyball. Now: Web Dev, Mavs fan.
[Image: MFSYrBp.png]
Twitter: j0Shi_f
Like Reply
[Image: EGDpX8BU4AAC-qh?format=jpg&name=small]

https://twitter.com/mikefinger/status/11...7087711238
Like Reply
Wow.  SI is done. 

Too bad we don't have a time machine and can go back and reintroduce journalism to the web in a smarter way. We could let them know that their online presence is not just a supplement to their content, but that it would replace papers and magazines altogether. Perhaps they wouldn't have been so quick to give away content online for free at the start, creating the expectation that it should always be that way and leaving them slaves to clicks to generate advertising dollars as their only reliable income source.
Like Reply