Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game 73: DAL (36-36) vs. GSW (37-36)
(03-23-2023, 02:14 AM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: As Christian Wood’s biggest fan here, I feel like I have to comment on the bad offensive moment down the stretch.

With the time left on the shot clock, he should have took it to the rim or shot the mid range. What we saw was one of two things, or a combination of both imo.  

1) Maybe he is scared to go back to the dog house. A result of this organization’s mind games. 

2) This is a situation that would have naturally arose multiple times earlier in the season if they weren’t to busy playing mind games, but we are working through now unfortunately.

Christian Wood won’t hesitate next time.

That was a key moment in the game. He was standing there with the ball at the FT line and could have taken the ball to the rim like he’s done a hundred times. Instead he hesitated, looked around, and I believe passed back to Luka for what ended up being a horrible shot.
“BE CURIOUS, NOT JUDGMENTAL…”
[-] The following 1 user Likes OBX Maverick's post:
  • ballsrchr
Like Reply
(03-22-2023, 10:25 PM)SwisherPrice Wrote: This. A Kyrie/Luka duo is not going to matter when they have no money to fill any of the other massive holes on the roster. They need a complete teardown and reconstruction of this roster. If Kyrie doesn't sign then this will be the closest they will have to a clean slate since 2019 before the KP trade. 

They aren't going to get a major upgrade at PF/C or wing with just the MLE. They will end up re-signing Powell because they can't find any "better" options in that price range and they will continue to have the same problems.

Respectably, I disagree.  Now, am I confident the Mavs can pull this off...heck no.  The Mavs just really need two 4th starters who fit the rest of the roster (size, defense, toughness).  I agree, it will be tough to get two this offseason while also filling in the rest of the secondary holes.  But I think they can get 1.   Then they will need to make a smart, low cost gamble.   A Josh Okogie type player swing.  Or like when the Kings picked up Trey Lyles for peanuts.  Lyles is not a 4th starter but he is in his mid 20's, 6'10 and a good glue guy.    Those are the type of moves the Mavs have to hit this offseason.   That makes them competitive and then they can decide to look for other moves moving forward.

(03-23-2023, 05:30 AM)OBX Maverick Wrote: That was a key moment in the game. He was standing there with the ball at the FT line and could have taken the ball to the rim like he’s done a hundred times. Instead he hesitated, looked around, and I believe passed back to Luka for what ended up being a horrible shot.

Yeah, that was not good, but the whole possession was weird.   I think everyone knows Luka should have the ball and everyone is afraid to make a play.   I don't think Hardy would, but that is another story.   

What about putting Luka in the Dirk spot (free throw line).   Do you think that could work late in games?   He may need to work faster than he likes, but I wonder if that or putting him in the post can be an option later in games.
[-] The following 2 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • omahen, ThisIStheYear
Like Reply
If Mavs can't add 2 guys to this roster, then they are really totally incompetent. Lakers got three starter level players for one pick. Guys like Powell, Kleber and Bullock are perfectly fine bench guys. For me the only big question is, if it is possible to build around Luka and Kai, both being limited defensively. But they already decided that one, no other way to go all in with this option. Kai is not getting any younger.
Like Reply
(03-23-2023, 05:30 AM)OBX Maverick Wrote: That was a key moment in the game. He was standing there with the ball at the FT line and could have taken the ball to the rim like he’s done a hundred times. Instead he hesitated, looked around, and I believe passed back to Luka for what ended up being a horrible shot.

Correct
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply
That last Warriors bucket by Steph just showed how Kerr is in a different league compared to Kidd when it comes to offense and designing plays. They got the switch on the big man and then also involved a bad team defender (Luka) in some off-ball action to get Steph driving to the basket (going right) and a Draymond seal for the easy layup. Klay's shooting has to be respected so you can't leave him to help on Steph or a Klay 3 ends the game. 

If Kidd was coaching the Warriors, it would be Steph going 1 vs. 5 for 20 seconds and then shooting a desperation 3 against the best defender.

https://twitter.com/hoops_bot/status/163...90144?s=20
[-] The following 3 users Like SwisherPrice's post:
  • BigDirk41, IamDougieFresh, ThisIStheYear
Like Reply
(03-23-2023, 12:25 PM)SwisherPrice Wrote: They got the switch on the big man and then also involved a bad team defender (Luka)

I'm sorry, but there was zero fault on Luka in this one. Curry faked using a screen but just went straight to the bucket. He never used a screen
Like Reply
(03-23-2023, 01:05 PM)omahen Wrote: I'm sorry, but there was zero fault on Luka in this one. Curry faked using a screen but just went straight to the bucket. He never used a screen

I am not knowledgeable enough to determine if he was playing correctly.  It was an easy shot for Curry (layup) but if he missed Golden State had 3 guys (2 crashing) to our 1 in rebounding position.   And that one was Hardy who wouldn't have great odds there.
Like Reply