Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game 70 “Crossroads” : DAL (35-35) @ SAS (18-51)| 137-128 WIN!
(03-16-2023, 09:20 AM)BigDirk41 Wrote: suddenly Luka figures out how to use his team

I am not sure, are you actually trying to claim Luka is the one somehow holding this team back? Sure he is not perfect. But we also have quite a decent track record of what he does bring to the team and how he is always his best version in the playoffs. The thing is, the team around him is not build in a way to help with any of his weakness. He was surrounded with players who were very limited on offense but are also not elite defenders. Mavs also lack high energy guys with Green being basically the only one in that deparment. Brunson was helping with offense. Kyrie is even a better version, but he also doesn't help with defense and one of rare good defenders (DFS) is gone. No help in the form of vet leaders too (unless Kyrie fills this need).

Lets look at some stats, last four games without Luka compared to regular season average and the league average.

1. Mavs defense sucks. With or without Luka. Mavs defrtg for the season is 115.5, good for 23rd in the league. This rating is basically the same (115.6) in Luka on minutes. In the last four games the def rtg is 114 which would put Mavs on 18th place in the league. Barely a significant improvement. Mavs allow 50.8 points in the paint for season, 50 in last four games. Can't find the number with Luka on the court, but those two numbers would suggest there is no significant difference. So it is very obvious, Mavs defensive problems go way beyond just Luka. 
2. Mavs play slowly. With or without Luka. Mavs pace for the season is 96.92 (29th in the league) in minutes with Luka 97.43 (27th in the league). Last four games it was 98.07 (24th in the league). For the season Mavs score 9.3 % of points from fast breaks, in the last 4 games this was 9.6 %. Both put Mavs on 29th place in the league. Luka number is even worse with only 8.5 % points coming from fastbreak with him on the floor. Mavs score 14.2 % of points from TO on average, good for 20th in the league. With Luka on the floor, Mavs score 14.9 % of points from TO and in the last four games Mavs scored 13.7 % of points from TO.  Same conclusion as in point 1 - Mavs pace problems go beyond Luka.
[-] The following 3 users Like omahen's post:
  • audiosway, ballsrchr, Hypermav
Like Reply
(03-16-2023, 11:55 AM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: Do you feel like keeping our pick and drafting someone who won't be fully developed when we need him now would be any better? 

Do people understand that if we end up keeping that pick that we're still just flipping it on draft night anyway?  Tanking just doesn't accomplish much for this franchise in the long run.

Walker Kessler was better as a rookie than any center we had since 2011. So what´s with this BS that rookies can´t be contributors? If Utah didn´t want to lose, we´d already be lost.
Like Reply
I’m anti tank and didn’t see any evidence of it last night.  A bona fide playoff appearance would be better than keeping that pick. But if the Mavs do something like miss the playoffs and finish with the 12th pick, that’s a freaking disaster.
Like Reply
(03-16-2023, 03:17 PM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: I’m anti tank and didn’t see any evidence of it last night.  A bona fide playoff appearance would be better than keeping that pick. But if the Mavs do something like miss the playoffs and finish with the 12th pick, that’s a freaking disaster.

You think this team wins B2B play-in games, cause they sure look like a 9th/10th seed at best.
Like Reply
(03-16-2023, 03:51 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: You think this team wins B2B play-in games, cause they sure look like a 9th/10th seed at best.

No. But they could get to 7 which would be relatively safe.  They’re in a difficult spot. One way out would be to play bigger lineups the rest of the season. I think they’d win some games that way. Kidd is always coaching the roster he wants to have instead of the one he has. They have no reason to miss the playoffs if Luka and Kyrie get back on the court.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ThisIStheYear's post:
  • ballsrchr
Like Reply
(03-16-2023, 05:49 PM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: No. But they could get to 7 which would be relatively safe.  They’re in a difficult spot. One way out would be to play bigger lineups the rest of the season. I think they’d win some games that way. Kidd is always coaching the roster he wants to have instead of the one he has. They have no reason to miss the playoffs if Luka and Kyrie get back on the court.

I think this hits the nail on the head.  I don't think Kidd can be trusted to be a head coach.  Assistant coach under a strong head coach?....maybe.
Like Reply
(03-15-2023, 10:26 PM)Hogmelon Wrote: Five Mavs with at least 20 points.

https://twitter.com/MavsPR/status/1636213345010294786
Like Reply
(03-15-2023, 10:51 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: If we could get Luka and Kyrie to run Horns every possession like they were in OT it would be over for the league.

https://twitter.com/GrantAfseth/status/1...43904?s=20
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply