Poll: How would you grade this potential signing?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
A
11.11%
3 11.11%
B
25.93%
7 25.93%
C
37.04%
10 37.04%
D
11.11%
3 11.11%
F
0%
0 0%
L.O.L.
14.81%
4 14.81%
Total 27 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FA: Kemba Walker to DAL | his knee is "not good"
(12-01-2022, 09:43 AM)Dahlsim Wrote: At only 32 the mileage on his body overall is still modest.

No man. He has 25,000 minutes on his body. Klay Thompson who is 32 and is breaking down has 22,000 minutes on his body.
Like Reply
(12-01-2022, 10:15 AM)Kammrath Wrote: No man. He has 25,000 minutes on his body. Klay Thompson who is 32 and is breaking down has 22,000 minutes on his body.

To be fair Klay Thompson is literally the most extreme example of what a human body can go through by the time you're 32.  Not disagreeing that Kemba has a ton of wear on his tires but that comp is pretty unfair.
[-] The following 1 user Likes StrandedOnBeauboisHill's post:
  • Dahlsim
Like Reply
He did look pretty good taking shots in practice.  As we all know, practice highlights are highly predictive of real game success.
[-] The following 3 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • DallasMaverick, SleepingHero, StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
(12-01-2022, 11:44 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: He did look pretty good taking shots in practice.  As we all know, practice highlights are highly predictive of real game success.

When I saw the first clip of him coming around an off ball screen to shake Hardy I was like "They're already starting the narrative to keep the rook on the bench!"
Like Reply
(12-01-2022, 11:44 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: He did look pretty good taking shots in practice.  As we all know, practice highlights are highly predictive of real game success.

[Image: giphy.gif]
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 4 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, dirkfansince1998, KillerLeft, StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply

Hey, it worked for Green!
[-] The following 2 users Like mvossman's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
We are undefeated with Kemba on the roster.
[-] The following 3 users Like cow's post:
  • DallasMaverick, DanSchwartzgan, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(12-01-2022, 09:43 AM)Dahlsim Wrote: .... but a guy that can put up all star stretches and explode in key games is more than a guy

Its the same question they had about KW in Boston: 

The article you used to paint a rosy picture was over two seasons ago.

Since that article, he
1 returned and meh'ed it up,
2 got dumped by BOS to OKC (BOS bribed them to take him),
3 got dumped by OKC (couldn't dump him on anyone, so waived him),
4 signed with NY (with the same hopes as in BOS),
5 in just a few months dumped by NY (idled, then bribed DET to take him), 
6 dumped by DET (waived), and
7 the entire NBA declined to offer him a deal at any price

There is plenty of evidence in that to say he's no longer the guy with explosive star potential, and is more likely to be just a guy. His knees are shot. Like with Facu, I hope he is way better than his recent track record, but rationally I'm not expecting much. You usually get exactly what you pay for, and he's playing on the cheapest NBA deal possible.
[-] The following 2 users Like F Gump's post:
  • MFFL, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
I guess a best case hope would be something like Derrick Rose's revival as a contributing bench veteran. If it comes to pass, that is still more than we were going to get out of Facu.

You would think he'd been humbled and now motivated to show there was still something there.
Like Reply
(12-01-2022, 04:41 PM)michaeltex Wrote: I guess a best case hope would be something like Derrick Rose's revival as a contributing bench veteran. If it comes to pass, that is still more than we were going to get out of Facu.

You would think he'd been humbled and now motivated to show there was still something there.

That is a good name and the exact name I was thinking about.  On the other hand, it could be a Blake Griffin situation.   

I have some hope for Kemba.  I just don't expect it to last very long.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
(12-01-2022, 03:10 PM)F Gump Wrote: The article you used to paint a rosy picture was over two seasons ago.

Since that article, he
1 returned and meh'ed it up,
2 got dumped by BOS to OKC (BOS bribed them to take him),
3 got dumped by OKC (couldn't dump him on anyone, so waived him),
4 signed with NY (with the same hopes as in BOS),
5 in just a few months dumped by NY (idled, then bribed DET to take him), 
6 dumped by DET (waived), and
7 the entire NBA declined to offer him a deal at any price

There is plenty of evidence in that to say he's no longer the guy with explosive star potential, and is more likely to be just a guy. His knees are shot. Like with Facu, I hope he is way better than his recent track record, but rationally I'm not expecting much. You usually get exactly what you pay for, and he's playing on the cheapest NBA deal possible.

I didn't paint a rosy picture, not sure how you read that into my reference.  
I referenced that article because it had some detail about his knee issue and how treating it might compare to other star players like Kobe & T-Mac. 

If wanted to paint a rosy picture I could have referenced his 44 point explosion just late last year for the Knicks against the Pacers: 
https://sports.yahoo.com/kemba-walkers-4...ccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly9kdWNrZHVja2dvLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAANmdLjWA2kYZIP_JbKaEIPtXkoSy5WhFe558GKU5cbdHNW2hWu_ELJb9vBou_PvhkJX_IvB8t_R7Le_QEikxjrf4K_NxMnTEdSwN_d57nkvoWICRw6MfP3tntMdpgoCTCxmsLiiFhSCSgaQ983IBKCqRq_okji0kOTpL1ld8m1lf

Quote:...
Walker is lighting up scoreboard since return from benching
... He has scored 29, 21 and now 44 points in consecutive games, but the Knicks are 1-2 since his return.
Kemba had MSG rocking Thursday

The Knicks looked ready to stop their slide on Thursday as Walker torched the Wizards for 28 first-half points. Before he capped the half with an acrobatic floater to secure a 63-57 halftime lead, Knicks fans serenaded him with a "Kemba Walker!" chant.

Or we could just reference some of last season highlights with the Knicks like: https://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/35130333

Wow, now THAT would be a (misleadingly) rosy picture.  Big Grin 

I didn't paint that. What I was talking about is that Facu has never been a guy on the level of Kemba. 
The link was about the issue with Kemba's knees which will likely indicate the most how much a guy multi time former All star Kemba can be for Dallas and if he can help the team at all. 
Like Reply
I want to feel positive about this signing, I really do. Not too long ago Kemba was part of the crunch time line up during the All star game, where people were really trying.

But I feel we will look back on this signing same as that time that Hakeem Olajuwon played for the Raptors, and go, "oh he did play for them?"
Like Reply
Sounds to me like the Mavs fully understand the Kemba dice roll is all about how long his knee holds up. 
Mavericks GM Gives Worrisome Update On Kemba Walker's Health (msn.com)

Quote:explaining how Kemba's knee is looking right now and what it means for the team's aspirations.

“It’s not good,” Harrison said, via Mavs Money Ball. “It’s not good at all. But he’s rehabbed it and it’s the best he’s felt in the last two years so, we’ll see how long that lasts.”

However, he said that the team is aware that this has been common for Walker, and even though his body has bothered him in the past, Kemba has played through injuries and had very good matches.

“Well, it hasn’t been good for a few years,” Harrison clarified. “Even last year, he had 30-point games on it. But it actually feels better now. The reality is, if you look at it, it’s not good, but that doesn’t mean he can’t play on it.”

This could be a problem for the Mavericks but also a good thing if he can maintain a good level in Dallas.
Like Reply