Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.25 Average
IT'S HARDY TIME: Jaden Hardy looking like a decent prospect
My hope next year is Hardaway is not here and Hardy takes most of those minutes.   Maybe add a cheap point guard who can fill in when needed or due to injury.  There are a ton of these guys out there.  I would like a younger one though.   Isaiah Wong??  Reece Beekman?

Giving Hardy those minutes will have rough spots and he still needs to grow, but he is ready to get minutes and learn.    Right now, I think he fits better with Kyrie than Luka, but I will be interesting to see if he can grow some chemistry.   In theory, the end of quarter Luka minutes could use another guy who can get to the basket.  

In addition, him and Kyrie are two guys who look like they can hit free throws late.   That is a nice feeling to have.

Right now, I have trouble seeing a three guard lineup of Luka, Kyrie and Hardy working like the lineup we used with Luka, Jalen and Din.    So that may limit some of the Hardy minute upside...at least for next year.

(03-16-2023, 11:08 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: He shows flashes of a consistent 20ppg kind of guy. 

I think he can be that. I think the best role would probably be a super 6th man like a Manu/JET type of role. Come off the bench, play starter minutes, score a crap ton/distribute as needed.

https://v.redd.it/g0xwd6u7m7oa1

Hardy in the USA!

Nice highlights.   It is a weakness of his game.   Playing defense off ball is a transition for everyone.   Him attempting to take charges recently is a nice surprise.    Being good at taking charges can really help, even if you are a subpar defender.
Like Reply
(03-17-2023, 07:18 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Right now, I think he fits better with Kyrie than Luka, but I will be interesting to see if he can grow some chemistry.

I think he will be fine with Luka too. He just doesn't defer to anyone. He will take his, no matter who he is playing with. The only question will be, if he can be efficient enough. I agree it is difficult to imagine playing all three of them together, but he can be the secondary creator every time one of those two sits, which is some 20 minutes per game. Add games where one of those two will be out and where he will get plenty of minutes, probably lifting his average minutes per game to some 25 mpg per season.

One thing we should note. There are several high scoring young guards accross the league, but their value is actually limited. Two recent examples are Bones Hyland and Cam Thomas. Hyland had some very nice runs with Denver, but neither Denver nore anyone else really saw a lot of value in that. Denver didn't seem to be willing to invest heavily in him and it seems Clippers share their opinion. Cam Thomas had an explosion of several consequtive 40+ point games, yet his role has been again reduced to sparce minutes.

(03-17-2023, 07:18 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Maybe add a cheap point guard who can fill in when needed or due to injury.

I wouldn't mind if Wright gets this role.
Like Reply
(03-17-2023, 07:18 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Nice highlights.   It is a weakness of his game.   Playing defense off ball is a transition for everyone.   Him attempting to take charges recently is a nice surprise.    Being good at taking charges can really help, even if you are a subpar defender.

Truth.  Just look at how many charges THJ takes.  Brings up his overall defense.
Like Reply
(03-16-2023, 11:08 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: He shows flashes of a consistent 20ppg kind of guy. 

I think he can be that. I think the best role would probably be a super 6th man like a Manu/JET type of role. Come off the bench, play starter minutes, score a crap ton/distribute as needed.

Hardy in the USA!

I think Hardy has a 40/60 shot at being a journeyman sharpshooter, or a high quality starter--or as you say a Manu/Jet type playing starter minutes.  I'm leaning toward Hardy being even better than Manu or Jet.  But I guess I'm just an optimistic homer.

It will depend a lot on how he is brought along in the future.  I'm not privy to the NBA coaching and mentoring that is provided behind the scenes.  I just have high hopes that Hardy is a sponge for learning.  Someone wrote that he is a gym rat.  That is a good start.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ballsrchr's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
(03-17-2023, 11:35 AM)ballsrchr Wrote: I think Hardy has a 40/60 shot at being a journeyman sharpshooter, or a high quality starter--or as you say a Manu/Jet type playing starter minutes.  I'm leaning toward Hardy being even better than Manu or Jet.  But I guess I'm just an optimistic homer.

It will depend a lot on how he is brought along in the future.  I'm not privy to the NBA coaching and mentoring that is provided behind the scenes.  I just have high hopes that Hardy is a sponge for learning.  Someone wrote that he is a gym rat.  That is a good start.

Yes!!

If he turns out to be a solid NBA player, it's completely due to his hard work and talent.

On the other hand, if he turns out to be a bum, it's because Kidd is such a bad coach, and the front office is so bad at drafting.
Like Reply
(03-17-2023, 11:35 AM)ballsrchr Wrote: I think Hardy has a 40/60 shot at being a journeyman sharpshooter, or a high quality starter--or as you say a Manu/Jet type playing starter minutes.  I'm leaning toward Hardy being even better than Manu or Jet.  But I guess I'm just an optimistic homer.

Im not sure you understand how good Manu Ginobili was. This is straight up insulting/delusional.
[-] The following 5 users Like RoyTarpleysGhost's post:
  • dirkfansince1998, KillerLeft, Mapka, MaxiThreeba, omahen
Like Reply
(03-17-2023, 02:37 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: Im not sure you understand how good Manu Ginobili was. This is straight up insulting/delusional.

I know he was better than Jet.  Delusional?  Yes...often...

Insulting?  Never...

Well...rarely...
[-] The following 1 user Likes ballsrchr's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(03-17-2023, 12:38 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: Yes!!

If he turns out to be a solid NBA player, it's completely due to his hard work and talent.

On the other hand, if he turns out to be a bum, it's because Kidd is such a bad coach, and the front office is so bad at drafting.

I guess that is a conundrum...but not what I said.
Like Reply
Manu is a low key all time great player.  One of the best I’ve ever seen. Hardy can have half his career and be a solid starter. And BTW, Kidd playing Wright over him tonight is beyond insane.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ThisIStheYear's post:
  • ballsrchr
Like Reply
I am not going to complain if Hardy's minutes dwindle down the stretch.   I would love to get him minutes each game and throw him more minutes if he plays well.   It is just tough when everyone is healthy.  In all honesty, Hardy probably plays better when he get 30 minutes vs 5.   That is true for most players but especially guys who play with a rhythm.  

I will say this though, I have earmarked Hardaway's minutes for Hardy next year.    I will be disappointed if he is not at least at 20 minutes a night, preferably more next year.  

It will be interesting to see what Dallas does with the 4th guard minutes the rest of the year.   Does Green fill in?   Does Hardaway pick up all those minutes where the 4th guard doesn't get much run?   Wright has had moments of solid play but he also has had moments of some really bad moments.   Last night, not securing that rebound that lead to a 3 was a big play.  Before that he had some nice moments though.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
Hardy´s PPG average based on 20+ minutes games only 18.8 PPG, 3.0 RPG, 2.2 APG. He probably could have challenger for ROTY on a shitty team. Now watch us Jae Crowder him in his 2nd season with a Richard Jefferson minimum scrub.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mavs2021's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
Even the MBT can see Hardy's talent.  His floor is a wonderful sixth man.  A core of Luka, Kyrie, Josh and Hardy isn't the worst thing.  A lot of holes to fill in the defense and rebounding departments, but there just might be a bright future ahead.
[-] The following 4 users Like cow's post:
  • BigDirk41, KillerLeft, omahen, Reunion Mav
Like Reply
He has certainly taken the opportunity by the horns.   It will be interesting to see if he gets consistent minutes when Kyrie and Hardaway are healthy.   Has his recent play demanded playing time?

I will again state that the Hardaway minutes need to be his next year.  If he is not around 20-25 minutes a game every game next year, something is wrong.    Even if you cannot move Hardaway.
Like Reply
Hardaway and Bertans are contracts Mavs can afford to send out without really creating another hole elsewhere as they did by shipping DFS for Kai. Now I want to see a Lakers type move in the summer. Sending one or both of those contracts for two starters that are filling the needs. I would not be surprised if Mavs go after Draymond Green. Exactly their type of gamble.
Like Reply
And now to the one bright spot for the season, enough probably to save Nico’s job though probably not Kidd’s. Hardy can play. And I see some transformation in his body as well. That was a truly great pick.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ThisIStheYear's post:
  • loki
Like Reply
Hardy had a stretch of 6 games where he scored 20+ points on 5 occasions (and averaged 20ppg over that stretch). 

It kinda annoys me though that he didn't get a mention on the Kia Rookie Ladder.
Like Reply
Hardy is a keeper for sure and someone to build with. My favorite thing is he doesn't shrink next to Luka. He gets his regardless and I wish Green had that mentality. Hardy has the "IT" factor and that is something that can't be taught.
Like Reply
(03-28-2023, 09:23 AM)BigDirk41 Wrote: Hardy is a keeper for sure and someone to build with. My favorite thing is he doesn't shrink next to Luka. He gets his regardless and I wish Green had that mentality. Hardy has the "IT" factor and that is something that can't be taught.

Yes, he is never scared.  Even more important, Luka appears to trust him and probably more so than only Jalen and Kyrie Luka seems to willingly give the ball up.  even Jalen early on had to adjust to Luka on the floor.

He is by no means a good defender but he has made some plays lately.  He still put his head down to attack the rim and has some turnovers, but this appears to be slowing down for him as well.

I thought with everyone healthy down the stretch that he would be a deep bench player.  He is making it hard not to play him 20 plus minutes a night.
Like Reply
Players know who can ball.  Sure he shoots a lot but they keep looking for him.  They know.

https://twitter.com/calliecaplan/status/...94338?s=46&t=iwQP5yZoJF3Ulzfb9MH7Cg
Like Reply
From a casual looker who has hated on Hardy's dribbling and "gotta get mine" attitude...

Past few games he seems to have polished things up a bit.   Less fumbling dribbles and errant passes,  I havent been as frustrated with his attacks or shots either.

Maybe this kid turns into something.  He has tons of potential if he can clean things up and play a mature, starter caliber(few mistakes)NBA game.
Like Reply