Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.8 Average
MAVS NEWS: Luka 23-24 Scoring Champ! | DLive's Mom Passes Away
(04-19-2024, 09:45 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Tyson has been way better to the Mavs than we were to him. Should have been a Mav the rest of his career after the championship. Give that man a $20M bonus.

sure it's a different time but it's still insane that he only made $13.1 mil in his first year with the Knicks 
4 year/$56 mil
Like Reply
https://x.com/NickVanExit/status/1781711482218050007

Like Nick said, the fact that Luka and Dirk moment is real is amazing
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(04-20-2024, 11:57 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: https://x.com/NickVanExit/status/1781711482218050007

Also amazing that they think Embiid is a top 2 star in Sixers history. He´s not even top 5.
Like Reply
(04-20-2024, 12:13 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Also amazing that they think Embiid is a top 2 star in Sixers history. He´s not even top 5.

The point was to put a legacy star for each franchise with a current star. If you don't like Embiid there, you'd have to choose some one else on their current roster. I'd say Embiid is a better player than any of his current teammates, or at the very least has more star power.
Like Reply
(04-20-2024, 11:57 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: https://x.com/NickVanExit/status/1781711482218050007

Love that!!! Goosebumps. Perfect track too!
Not very astute ^^^^
Like Reply
(04-20-2024, 01:48 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Love that!!! Goosebumps. Perfect track too!

...except that I hate auto-tuning
Not very astute ^^^^
[-] The following 1 user Likes fifteenth's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
Zach Lowe on latest podcast with David Thorpe picked the Mavs in 7. He said he would pick the clippers if he was confident Leonard was healthy. Then said he thought Mavs were a tad overrated going into the playoffs but then backtracked a little on that. I didn’t take that as a negative comment. Probably just how you are seeing very little Clippers picks to win the series.
Like Reply
Mavs are a different team (trades) since the last time they met, but one would expect the Mavs to be favored if Kawhi's status is in doubt. He swings the pendulum big time if he's healthy.
Like Reply
(04-20-2024, 05:22 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Mavs are a different team (trades) since the last time they met, but one would expect the Mavs to be favored if Kawhi's status is in doubt. He swings the pendulum big time if he's healthy.

Clips will try and steal the first one with news of KL sitting… hoping Mavs let up a bit.

In the past, I would expect the Mavs to lose in that scenario… this team post TDL, not so much.
Like Reply
(04-20-2024, 05:37 PM)Smitty Wrote: Clips will try and steal the first one with news of KL sitting… hoping Mavs let up a bit.

In the past, I would expect the Mavs to lose in that scenario… this team post TDL, not so much.

Let‘s not forget they won against the Nuggets, Cavs and Suns in these last few games without Kawhi to defend the fourth spot against us. They are still a dangerous team and probably think they can keep the games and the series open without Kawhi.
Like Reply
The Mavericks now have the 4th-highest odds to win the NBA Championship on FanDuel at +1500.  That's ahead of the Clippers, T'Wolves, Knicks, Bucks and 76ers.   We all debate what transactions we'll need in the future to become "true" contenders.  

I think the NBA betting community sees us as contenders already.  I think that's interesting.
Like Reply
(04-21-2024, 08:15 AM)surfpuckmd Wrote: The Mavericks now have the 4th-highest odds to win the NBA Championship on FanDuel at +1500.  That's ahead of the Clippers, T'Wolves, Knicks, Bucks and 76ers.   We all debate what transactions we'll need in the future to become "true" contenders.  

I think the NBA betting community sees us as contenders already.  I think that's interesting.

The only thing the Mavs are missing now is continuity. 

Lot of turnover trying to build the right team around Luka. The FO has found it imo. Now let them play together for a while.
[-] The following 2 users Like Smitty's post:
  • Jmaciscool, surfpuckmd
Like Reply
(04-21-2024, 08:19 AM)Smitty Wrote: The only thing the Mavs are missing now is continuity. 

Lot of turnover trying to build the right team around Luka. The FO has found it imo. Now let them play together for a while.

Agreed.  

I won't complain if they manage to sneak Alex Caruso onto this roster though.
[-] The following 2 users Like surfpuckmd's post:
  • mvossman, SleepingHero
Like Reply
One of my pet peeves is when I hear that this is a series between two teams that went all in. I just don’t disagree. Mavs have been aggressive and have used valuable draft assets. I also think SA and OKC made solid bets that in a tough west moving forward that they place a bet Dallas has a season from hell or Luka leaves down the road. I have no problem with those bets. Although neither pick switch may not turn into anything and regardless Dallas still has a first in those drafts.

Second, Dallas star is 25. Their other star is almost 32. Around them most of Dallas rest of their core players are 26 and under. So they can have internal growth and also flexibility in trades if need be.

I just think the narrative is wrong that Dallas went all in with this roster. Sure they are not in a position like OKc but Dallas still has the opportunity to upgrade their roster if they wish.
[-] The following 2 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • mvossman, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(04-21-2024, 08:50 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: One of my pet peeves is when I hear that this is a series between two teams that went all in.  I just don’t disagree.  Mavs have been aggressive and have used valuable draft assets.  I also think SA and OKC made solid bets that in a tough west moving forward that they place a bet Dallas has a season from hell or Luka leaves down the road.  I have no problem with those bets.  Although neither pick switch may not turn into anything and regardless Dallas still has a first in those drafts.

Second, Dallas star is 25.  Their other star is almost 32.  Around them most of Dallas rest of their core players are 26 and under.  So they can have internal growth and also flexibility in trades if need be.

I just think the narrative is wrong that Dallas went all in with this roster.  Sure they are not in a position like OKc but Dallas still has the opportunity to upgrade their roster if they wish.

I suppose then "all-in" narrative depends on perspective. Compared to a team like OKC, the Mavs are 100% all in and don't really have the same amount of flexibility.

But compared to PHX? GSW? Heck even DEN? The Mavs have the ability to trade more FRP than all of those teams this summer. 

Doesn't mean they should, but like you said the Mavs are relatively young and they still have moves to spare. Kudos for calling out BSPN
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(04-21-2024, 08:50 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: One of my pet peeves is when I hear that this is a series between two teams that went all in.  I just don’t disagree.  Mavs have been aggressive and have used valuable draft assets.  I also think SA and OKC made solid bets that in a tough west moving forward that they place a bet Dallas has a season from hell or Luka leaves down the road.  I have no problem with those bets.  Although neither pick switch may not turn into anything and regardless Dallas still has a first in those drafts.

Second, Dallas star is 25.  Their other star is almost 32.  Around them most of Dallas rest of their core players are 26 and under.  So they can have internal growth and also flexibility in trades if need be.

I just think the narrative is wrong that Dallas went all in with this roster.  Sure they are not in a position like OKc but Dallas still has the opportunity to upgrade their roster if they wish.

The Mavs just have different assets than we’re used to. In the past the only thing of real value outside of Luka was draft picks. Now the Mavs have players that have value and can be combined with other assets to make big changes if things fall apart.

It’s just strange as a Mavs fan to change our perspective is all.

But as you’ve pointed out the Mavs aren’t strapped for picks like some here always want to bring up. I get being doom and gloom. I was there when we lost Brunson for nothing. But the Mavs have draft picks to go along with players with positive value.

I suggest we simply draft players instead of thinking about picks as only tradable assets though.

Last 6 drafts:
‘18 Luka & Brunson (RD2)
‘20 Green
‘22 Hardy (RD2)
‘23 Lively & Omax

Future picks next 5 drafts:
‘24 SRP
‘25 FRP, SRP
‘26 FRP
‘28 FRP, SRP, SRP
[-] The following 5 users Like Smitty's post:
  • ballsrchr, From Dirk to Luka, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, MFFL, surfpuckmd
Like Reply
(04-21-2024, 09:32 AM)Smitty Wrote: The Mavs just have different assets than we’re used to. In the past the only thing of real value outside of Luka was draft picks. Now the Mavs have players that have value and can be combined with other assets to make big changes if things fall apart.

It’s just strange as a Mavs fan to change our perspective is all.

But as you’ve pointed out the Mavs aren’t strapped for picks like some here always want to bring up. I get being doom and gloom. I was there when we lost Brunson for nothing. But the Mavs have draft picks to go along with players with positive value.

I suggest we simply draft players instead of thinking about picks as only tradable assets though.

Last 6 drafts:
‘18 Luka & Brunson (RD2)
‘20 Green
‘22 Hardy (RD2)
‘23 Lively & Omax

Future picks next 5 drafts:
‘24 SRP
‘25 FRP, SRP
‘26 FRP
‘28 FRP, SRP, SRP

Right on.  I really enjoy the draft and would be fine with the Mavericks holding their remaining picks to use for themselves.  I think the great thing is that we're in a position where there should be no pressure to make another move for at least a year.  If something favorable comes up, we can consider it.  In the past, we often seemed desperate to trade and that hurt our negotiating position.  Nico and Lindsay have us in a better place currently. 

The one caveat to drafting for ourselves is that it is difficult to contend and develop very young players simultaneously.  I think Lively is an outlier and we should not expect another rookie to make an immediate positive contribution in the near future.  I also think we are unlikely to pick higher than 22 or so in the draft for the next several years.  We might hit on a good player though occasionally and having a rotation player on a rookie deal would be an advantage in roster building.  

I'll trust this front office to make good decisions though.  I'm even starting to trust Jason Kidd a bit.  We'll also soon see how the Clipper series shakes out.  I think that will reveal everything about where the Mavericks are as a team.
[-] The following 2 users Like surfpuckmd's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, Smitty
Like Reply
(04-19-2024, 10:06 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Chandler deserves a lot of props, but I don't think he is the only one.  The Mavs new assistant this year also has a lot of experience working with bigs.  I think Kidd deserves credit too.    In addition, having a teammate like Powell is also very valuable.  Lastly, Luka may be the biggest reason for Lively.  Lively just needs to do certain things right and he could fall into 8-10 points a game.  It is harder than I making it seem (See WCS and McGee), but if you are mature beyond your years and have a good b-ball IQ, Luka can make your life really easy.

Agreed, he can learn a lot from watching Dwight Powell about how not to get hit in the head. It's a valuable skill. Big Grin
Like Reply
(04-20-2024, 05:37 PM)Smitty Wrote: Clips will try and steal the first one with news of KL sitting… hoping Mavs let up a bit.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Smitty's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
Athletic Players poll...looks like they asked 142 players. Sort of weird though..from what I gather the selections was between March 5th and April 11th. Doesn't really seem accurate if you were asking early March.

MVP-
Jokic 42%
SGA 37%
Luka 9.9 %

If you were building your roster from scratch which player are you going to sign first

Wemby0 28%
Jokic- 27%
Ant- 10.3%
Luka- 8.8%

Which player is the most overated

Gobert- 13%
Jordan Poole- 8.6%----come on...really?

Who is the greatest player of all time
Jordan- 46%
Lebron- 42%
Kobe- 10%
Step, Magic and Paul Pierce all under 1%. Paul Pierce?
Like Reply