Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.83 Average
TDL Archived: The 2nd Rnd Pick Yankee Swap
(08-04-2022, 03:12 PM)F Gump Wrote: I would do that deal (Mavs would also have to include Powell as expiring filler contract). OTOH I wouldn't do the one in the article.

But it's all moot. The Lakers would never do any of it. They are said to be unwilling to include 1 future FRP, much less 2, to be shed of RW. Which, of course, is why talks to move him continue to go nowhere.

I know you love Bullock, and that trade would mean a step back for 23, but the asset value of those firsts is too big.  You still have to pull that trigger.  I agree that its moot.
Like Reply
(08-04-2022, 03:12 PM)F Gump Wrote: I would do that deal (Mavs would also have to include Powell as expiring filler contract). OTOH I wouldn't do the one in the article.

But it's all moot. The Lakers would never do any of it. They are said to be unwilling to include 1 future FRP, much less 2, to be shed of RW. Which, of course, is why talks to move him continue to go nowhere.

Why should the league and media wring their hands over the Lakers WB problem when they have zero legitimate commitment to solve it? I understand their reluctance, because those future post-Bron picks are going to be as high AF, but zero of the other teams in the league are going to help them with that albatross without pick compensation, and the coming year is once again wasted if WB is still there. 

I would do a (Simpsons) Nelson toward them if it didn't look so much like the Mavs situation. The Mavs' trade matching pieces do not have the intrinsic value to bring back what we need, only future picks do. But future picks mortgage their ability to make the fabled big future trade for Luka's Robin. But if they don't make a midsized move, they're going all in on taking a step back this season (i.e. no three playmaker setup). 

Bottom line, I pretty much understand why the Mavs aren't making a move. We can't force one of the other 29 teams to give us a piece of treasure for our trash, any more than the Lakers can force anyone to take WB without including picks. Doesn't mean Cuban doesn't deserve to be kicked in the temple by the Cowboys' kicker daily for putting the team in this situation.
Like Reply
Schroeder is still unsigned, right? At what point do the Mavs bite the bullet and bring him in? He'd be far better than nothing. Is it a Cuban/Nico decision not to bring in a malcontent? If it's Kidd vetoing it, then you know that Schroeder is baaaaaaaaaaaaaad.
Like Reply
(08-04-2022, 04:01 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Schroeder is still unsigned, right? At what point do the Mavs bite the bullet and bring him in? He'd be far better than nothing. Is it a Cuban/Nico decision not to bring in a malcontent? If it's Kidd vetoing it, then you know that Schroeder is baaaaaaaaaaaaaad.

Yes, the scuttlebutt is that Schroeder is baaaaaaaaaaaaaad. (I have never heard details to explain in what way.) It's informative that 29 other teams are showing no interest either -- obviously the word has spread.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/TheHoopCentral/statu...0954587136
Like Reply
(08-04-2022, 04:29 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/TheHoopCentral/statu...0954587136

This is so funny. Kyrie might be the most toxic player in the league. The whole reason KD asked out was because of the Kyrie shenanigans earlier and now Kyrie is like lol nvm I'm good to stay here. Meanwhile KD's trade request apparently still stands, their chemistry is definitely ruined already, and next season is probably already lost because of it. Kyrie just casually destroys NBA franchises and then just goes about his day like nothing happened. The guy is insane.
[-] The following 1 user Likes sterlingmallory's post:
  • Paul Gasol
Like Reply
Quote:The guy is insane. 

He's also insanely talented.
Like Reply
(08-05-2022, 02:39 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote:  He's also insanely talented.

True but as you can see, talent isn't everything. He ruins every team he goes to. Only prime Lebron was able to rein him in at this point. Ben Simmons is another crazy talented and also plain crazy person that isn't worth the headache that comes with his talent. Kyrie and Simmons, just say no.
[-] The following 2 users Like sterlingmallory's post:
  • ballsrchr, rocky164
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/HoopsRumors/status/1...6101001216
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/MikeAScotto/status/1...1738734592
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/ClutchPointsApp/stat...wcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fhoopshype.com%2Frumors%2F
Like Reply
(08-04-2022, 03:51 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Bottom line, I pretty much understand why the Mavs aren't making a move. We can't force one of the other 29 teams to give us a piece of treasure for our trash, any more than the Lakers can force anyone to take WB without including picks. Doesn't mean Cuban doesn't deserve to be kicked in the temple by the Cowboys' kicker daily for putting the team in this situation.

Based on Training Camp reports, the Cowboys kicker would likely miss.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MaxiThreeba's post:
  • RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
(08-09-2022, 07:08 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: https://twitter.com/ClutchPointsApp/stat...wcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fhoopshype.com%2Frumors%2F

Wondering about any of these guys on a make-good minimum contract:

Does Aldridge have anything left in the tank? Can he still provide any rim protection? Is he a skipped heartbeat away from retirement?
Was Harrell a short term curiosity with LACs? (when he won 6MOY) Does he bring some attitude that could help?
Isaiah Thomas was an All Star, but has bounced around a LOT since. At 33, does he have anything left to offer other than veteran wisdom?
Is Shroeder enough of a creator to help out with the PG rotation?

Or are these a bunch of "Rodmans" looking for one last payday?
Like Reply
(08-09-2022, 11:40 AM)michaeltex Wrote: Wondering about any of these guys on a make-good minimum contract:

Does Aldridge have anything left in the tank? Can he still provide any rim protection? Is he a skipped heartbeat away from retirement?
Was Harrell a short term curiosity with LACs? (when he won 6MOY) Does he bring some attitude that could help?
Isaiah Thomas was an All Star, but has bounced around a LOT since. At 33, does he have anything left to offer other than veteran wisdom?
Is Shroeder enough of a creator to help out with the PG rotation?

Or are these a bunch of "Rodmans" looking for one last payday?

We have one roster spot and a glaring hole at 3rd playmaker, so I don't think we can afford to look at any of these guys if they can't pass the ball.  Schroder is apparently a locker room cancer and Thomas is washed.  We might be hoping to get involved as a 3rd of 4th party in one of the big trades to get that player, or to go after buy out market after everything settles down.  I would not be surprised if we end up with Kemba Walker on a vet min after he gets bought out.  I would have greatly preferred Dragic.
Like Reply
There have been 2 trades that has put teams in overflow of roster spots. The Wood trade and the Gobert trade. It makes sense to see what happens to those guys if those teams don’t find another home for some of the players.
Like Reply
With us having an extra roster spot, we can make a 2 for 1 trade to alleviate the need to waive players. Esp using an expiring like Powell.
Like Reply
(08-09-2022, 02:17 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: There have been 2 trades that has put teams in overflow of roster spots. The Wood trade and the Gobert trade. It makes sense to see what happens to those guys if those teams don’t find another home for some of the players.

I can't wait to see everyone's face when Burke gets waived and we sign him to be JB's highly-touted replacement. Pretty sure that isn't a Stackhouse violation since they're two different transaction years?
Like Reply
"There have been 2 trades that has put teams in overflow of roster spots. The Wood trade and the Gobert trade."

I also had the general impression that both HOU and UT were over-populated with players, but apparently only HOU (with 18 currently) has too many. They have 2 of their 18 with no guarantee. Many small salary players. As for UT, they are only at 14, although they would probably have more attractive targets for the Mavs (such as Clarkson, Bodganovic, Conley). FWIW I did not look to see if any other teams have too many.

"we can make a 2 for 1 trade to alleviate the need to waive players. Esp using an expiring like Powell."

In theory that works. But if the Mavs are taking 2 and sending 1, with that 1 being Powell, his salary is so LOW (which feels weird to say) that it will be hard to find a suitable two-player return. Usually players making even less than Powell are ones teams prefer to keep. I'd surmise HOU doesn't have what DAL would want, which is the whole point for DAL.

"Burke gets waived and we sign him"

Can't happen. Mavs would not be eligible to sign Burke until summer 2023, in general. The rule is that DAL can sign him if HOU waives him at the earliest of 1 year after trade, or the end of the contract term with DAL. There are possible exceptions, so rare they have never happened, and require Burke to end up on a diff team before being waived.
Like Reply
Quote:“we can make a 2 for 1 trade to alleviate the need to waive players. Esp using an expiring like Powell."

In theory that works. But if the Mavs are taking 2 and sending 1, with that 1 being Powell, his salary is so LOW (which feels weird to say) that it will be hard to find a suitable two-player return. Usually players making even less than Powell are ones teams prefer to keep. I'd surmise HOU doesn't have what DAL would want, which is the whole point for DAL.
The Utah thing is interesting. I was thinking with them a trade like Powell for Gay and Azubuike. Then I saw Azubuike has a TO that has to be picked up before trade. Not a big needle mover, just gets possible better fitting parts on more reasonable contracts.
Like Reply
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/3437...ource-says

I still think he has some Seth Curry upside.
Like Reply