Poll: Does Powell get the start tonight? If not, who starts?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes he starts.
88.89%
8 88.89%
Maxi starts instead.
0%
0 0%
Someone else (say who!)
11.11%
1 11.11%
Total 9 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
PLAYOFF ROUND 2 GAME 2: DAL (0-2) vs. PHX (2-0)| 109-129 loss
DFS: 20 mins, 2 pts, 4 fouls, -28

[Image: 200w.gif]
Like Reply
Wonder what Shawn Marion, Tyson Chandler, and Deshawn Stevenson are up to...
Like Reply
(05-04-2022, 11:45 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Oh but they will try to fix it in one off-season. That´s what they always do and fail. Tried and tested for the last decade. They are incapable of taking a step back with a big picture view. That´s how they ended up with a $160M pay-roll on a guaranteed 2nd round exit, that doesn´t even have any hidden (or obvious) upside like the other high-end busts this year like the Nets, Clippers or Lakers.

About the 2nd round exit thing, of the WC playoff teams this year, besides Utah, who do we comfortably beat?  TPups because they are a really dumb team and maybe the Nuggets because they are a really injured team.  I'm not so sure this team is all that much better because of the KP trade.  And that's not me saying we shouldn't have pulled that trigger.
[-] The following 4 users Like cow's post:
  • BasketballJones41, HoosierDaddyKid, ItsGoTime, michaeltex
Like Reply
(05-04-2022, 11:49 PM)Kammrath Wrote: DFS: 20 mins, 2 pts, 4 fouls, -28

[Image: 200w.gif]

Yeah well he´s defensive Luka. You might get away with playing 44MPG for one series and against an inferior #1 option, but it catches up to you eventually and Booker is a completely different animal to Mitchell.
Like Reply
(05-04-2022, 11:55 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Yeah well he´s defensive Luka. You might get away with playing 44MPG for one series and against an inferior #1 option, but it catches up to you eventually and Booker is a completely different animal to Mitchell.

He caught 3 fouls right away.  That neutralizes his biggest on court asset.  True on Booker.  You just hope to slow him down.
Like Reply
Looks like Phoenix is a better team. They punish every mistake and Mavs are just overmatched. Mavs defense doesn't work against Phoenix. I hope the guys claiming how this team is basically good enough saw they might be wrong. A center and another capable 2-way guy is a must for this team to become a contender.
[-] The following 2 users Like omahen's post:
  • audiosway, ItsGoTime
Like Reply
(05-05-2022, 12:08 AM)omahen Wrote: Looks like Phoenix is a better team. They punish every mistake and Mavs are just overmatched. Mavs defense doesn't work against Phoenix. I hope the guys claiming how this team is basically good enough saw they might be wrong. A center and another capable 2-way guy is a must for this team to become a contender.

I was definitely glad to see them get out of the first round. But, this is the reason why I said they need to flip Brunson for another piece. They need a wing and a 5 to be able to contend.
We didn't make the cut but thanks for all the support!
[-] The following 1 user Likes audiosway's post:
  • BasketballJones41
Like Reply
Maxi, Bertans, Dinwiddie need many more minutes. Dinwiddie has somewhat lesss difficult entering the paint in this matchup than Brunson does. Key for winning this is Maxi, Bertans, Bullock, Dinwiddie along with Luka. Phoenix will not able to counter this.
Like Reply
(05-05-2022, 01:32 AM)burekemde Wrote: Maxi, Bertans, Dinwiddie need many more minutes. Dinwiddie has somewhat lesss difficult entering the paint in this matchup than Brunson does. Key for winning this is Maxi, Bertans, Bullock, Dinwiddie along with Luka. Phoenix will not able to counter this.

I wouldn't mind swapping Dinwiddie for Brunson in the starting lineup but you are probably losing this series and that's the type of move that might prevent Brunson from resigning.
Like Reply
(05-05-2022, 01:58 AM)cow Wrote: I wouldn't mind swapping Dinwiddie for Brunson in the starting lineup but you are probably losing this series and that's the type of move that might prevent Brunson from resigning.

The play that will win the Mavs this series, is the pick and roll. Phoenix are constantly covering the big guy and preventing the rim rolling and covering the perimeter, in particular Ayton covers Powell and perimeter defenders are not doubling Luka. Ayton actually leaves Luka alone. Luka needs to keep making the floater/short jump shot, instead of trying to pass it to perimeter. It is the floater they are giving away for free. Luka I believe has figured this out and will adjust for the rest of series. In case they counter with Ayton stepping up on Luka, he will have Powell free at the rim. Or if any double team comes from perimeter, then Luka will pass it to the perimeter.

No doubt that Mavs will look at this and identify the issue and the counter. This will also open more Brunsons game, because when Mavs do this, then the perimeter defenders will need to come inside to Luka.

I think this is the key for transforming these series. Luka needs to keep shooting that floater when they give it, and they are doing that essentially every pick and roll with Luka and Powell. Luka has been good in making these shots, but he doesnt take them every time, he is trying too much to involve the perimeter players. Just keep making that floater until Suns need to adjust. This will completely transform this series, mark it down.
Like Reply
I am so impressed with the Suns.  There defense has been really good.   I think even Luka's shots are tough.  He is just so good that it doesn't matter.   Brunson and Dinwiddie are having trouble getting their patented in the paint looks.   DFS is also struggling to get a lot of good looks.  Just really impressive.    Our offense still bothers me.   I am not sure you can win a championship with such a dependent offense on one player.  

The Mavs played really hard for almost three quarters.  Not perfect, but hard. Then PHX hit them with a sledgehammer in the fourth.   Just a punch in the gut when it happens to your team.   

PHX appears to have all the answers to the test.  You try to take something away, they know exactly where to get to get a wide open look.  And they appear to make all their looks.   At home, Mavs need to find some way to get the PHX out of their rhythm.  Unfortunately, I think it needs to be more than a huge Luka game and high percentage threes.   And that may be all we have in this series.   I don't expect us to win, but I would love a win in game 3.   I just don't see how we beat this team more than one in a row.

I either read it here or somewhere else, that Tim Macmahon said the Mavs expected to take a slight step back when they traded KP.    And were surprised they wound up winning a series.  That tells me the Mavs know work is to be done moving forward.  They need to find at least one higher tier player.  But lets not forget player/roster development can be done on the edges too.  Look at New Orleans.  They found three young players (Murphy in first, Jones in the second and Alvarado as a UDFA).  They picked up Jonas by moving back in the draft and found a way to pick up Larry Nance as a extra piece in the CJ trade.   While the Mavs have a lot of good players, most cost $.   As the Mavs look to upgrade their top of the roster, they really need to find the next Bullock, The next Maxi, the next......
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid
Like Reply
(05-05-2022, 06:09 AM)burekemde Wrote: The play that will win the Mavs this series, is the pick and roll. Phoenix are constantly covering the big guy and preventing the rim rolling and covering the perimeter, in particular Ayton covers Powell and perimeter defenders are not doubling Luka. Ayton actually leaves Luka alone. Luka needs to keep making the floater/short jump shot, instead of trying to pass it to perimeter. It is the floater they are giving away for free. Luka I believe has figured this out and will adjust for the rest of series. In case they counter with Ayton stepping up on Luka, he will have Powell free at the rim. Or if any double team comes from perimeter, then Luka will pass it to the perimeter.

No doubt that Mavs will look at this and identify the issue and the counter. This will also open more Brunsons game, because when Mavs do this, then the perimeter defenders will need to come inside to Luka.

I think this is the key for transforming these series. Luka needs to keep shooting that floater when they give it, and they are doing that essentially every pick and roll with Luka and Powell. Luka has been good in making these shots, but he doesnt take them every time, he is trying too much to involve the perimeter players. Just keep making that floater until Suns need to adjust. This will completely transform this series, mark it down.

It's refreshing to log on here and see at least one poster talking about this year and not next... PHX, the best team in the NBA, held home court like they should. They are no doubt an incredible team and honestly as a fan of basketball, it's nice to see. I don't know if the Mavs will win, but spotting the suns 9 points on the road in both games isn't going to cut it moving forward. There has to be changes to the starting lineup, for that reason alone.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Smitty's post:
  • burekemde
Like Reply
Refs had an underrated game last night.  

PHX would beat anyone the way they are shooting.  Maybe we are contributing some to their success but I give them credit.
Like Reply
(05-05-2022, 07:45 AM)Hypermav Wrote: PHX would beat anyone the way they are shooting.

PHX has been awesome and they were not the best team in the regular season by accident. But Mavs also have some bad luck. Crowder was shooting 20 % against Pels and is shooting 60 % against Mavs. I doubt Pels gave him much more difficult looks.
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • michaeltex
Like Reply
(05-04-2022, 11:29 PM)Kammrath Wrote: The three worst performances tonight IMO:

1) DFS
2) Luka's D
3) JB

Supposedly the Mavs three best players (though I do not agree that DFS is one of the Mavs three best players and never have).

I am getting terrified of the JB contract watching him these last two games...

If DFS is not one of the Mavs three best players, I am really curious who you think number 3 is?
Like Reply
(05-05-2022, 09:06 AM)mvossman Wrote: If DFS is not one of the Mavs three best players, I am really curious who you think number 3 is?

I think overall SD is a "better" (overall talent and skill) player, but just as I think JB is limited by Luka, so is SD limited by Luka and some of that skill and talent is muted.

I think DFS is generally one of the Mavs three most important players in how they play (and I think Luka makes DFS look much better than he is, he amplifies him)...though the Mavs actually got along just fine without him in the game last night.
Like Reply
My comments/reactions after sleeping on it...

Kind of feels like CP3 realizes that THIS is his best shot at a ring and has gotten the entire PHX team to buy in to the urgency.

For a team that started the season with 7 5s and 4s, granted not of the highest quality, DAL sure looks like a donut right now. I know current thoughts are position-less players, but short of having a team of Kawahis that's not really feasible for most organizations.

It felt like Luka was either 1) trying extra hard to be inclusive on offense or 2) not feeling 100% (trips back to the locker room). If the former, the other players keep abusing his confidence. If the latter, I'm just glad they aren't playing in Miami.

CP3 is a center's best friend. He has made reputations for Chandler and DAJ. Rehabbed Noel and McGee. And is about to get Ayton paid big-time. I don't like his cockiness and I still hold the DAJ ambush against him, but I do respect his on-court game management skills. As I have stated previously, he's the head of the snake and DAL hasn't done much to control him.

Does Crowder have a bone to pick with DAL for trading him away? (Rondo/Powell trade) He sure seems amped, but maybe that's the playing style he's developed.

Definitely disappointed in the result, especially after leading at halftime, but it's not like PHX hasn't been doing this all season. They lost a tough championship last year, basically kept the team together and used that continuity to be even more successful this year. The biggest question is whether Sarver will indeed pay to keep everyone in PHX.
[-] The following 1 user Likes michaeltex's post:
  • Smitty
Like Reply
(05-05-2022, 08:25 AM)omahen Wrote: PHX has been awesome and they were not the best team in the regular season by accident. But Mavs also have some bad luck. Crowder was shooting 20 % against Pels and is shooting 60 % against Mavs. I doubt Pels gave him much more difficult looks.
Not sure who NO stuck on him, but we have either Luka or JB. That right there could be a significant difference.
Like Reply
(05-05-2022, 09:33 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Not sure who NO stuck on him, but we have either Luka or JB. That right there could be a significant difference.

He is not missing a lot of these kind of shots against Dallas. He was shooting 11 % against NO and is shooting 60 % against Dallas. From three

Video and Shotcharts | Stats | NBA.com

Video and Shotcharts | Stats | NBA.com
Like Reply
(05-05-2022, 09:13 AM)Kammrath Wrote: I think overall SD is a "better" (overall talent and skill) player, but just as I think JB is limited by Luka, so is SD limited by Luka and some of that skill and talent is muted.

I think DFS is generally one of the Mavs three most important players in how they play (and I think Luka makes DFS look much better than he is, he amplifies him)...though the Mavs actually got along just fine without him in the game last night.

Dinwiddie has shrunk in the playoffs.  JB has shrunk against PHX.   DFS is one of the Mavs more consistent players save for last night, when he was saddled with fouls.   And that's not absolving him for picking up those fouls.  Dorian is easily one of the three best players on the team and that's a problem.  He needs to be your fourth of fifth best starter.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply