Poll: Where are you from?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Dallas
32.11%
35 32.11%
North America (not Dallas)
35.78%
39 35.78%
Europe
22.94%
25 22.94%
Asia
6.42%
7 6.42%
Australia
0.92%
1 0.92%
South America
0.92%
1 0.92%
Africa
0.92%
1 0.92%
Total 109 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
CHECK IN: Where are you from?
I used to live in Montreal, Quebec, Canada.

Now, I live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. Smile

A Dirk Nowitzki fanboy since 2001.
Like Reply
Lived in Dallas and was a Maverick season ticket holder for 34 years. Took me less than 24 hours to buy season tickets upon arrival in Dallas in 1981. Originally, it was my way to cope with divorce recovery, perfect for a life long basketball player and fan. My brother and I kept the Reunion fans going when they occasionally got quiet. My wife and I have loved all of the playoff runs and of course the title. 

Moved to Houston in 2014 for my wife's job so I checked North America.  Now retired and just loving our new superstar lead team. Welcome to all of you fans around the world!
This Reunion Rowdie says the AAC needs "Luka's Lunatics" for the Luka/KP and gang era.
Like Reply
Born and raised in Dallas, TX. Lived right under Plano for most of my life. Dad was a season ticket holder dating back to the ealy 90's. As soon as I could walk, I was always at the home games. My dad made me do every chore and homework in order for me to go the games (he has since admitted that he just used me so he didn't have to do the chores!). 

Currently in school in Florida, trying to become a doctor.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
From Mississippi. Like most 80s/90s kids who didn't have a set hometown team I was in love with the Bulls and Jordan. Such a great day when we finally got satellite and I got to see games on TNT regularly. Kind of a lull there for a few years after Jordan's retirement where I really didn't have a team, but I was still watching every NBA game that I could. 
Wish I could remember what year it was that I came across Fisher and you other oldies. It was in the days when Viggen was going hard with the play-by-plays in the game threads. My internet was so horrible that it was actually a life saver for me. ESPN or whatever site I was trying to use wasn't exactly dailup friendly. But the forum was certainly what solidified my fandom back around 2001 or 2002ish 

Ended up getting a mechanical engineering degree, but like most people with one of those I've done a bit of everything except engineering for the past decade. Taught some algebra and chemistry to high school kids, I'm still licensed to sell real estate, but for now I'm a safety/compliance inspector
Like Reply
Singapore. Picked up watching NBA (not really full games due to time difference) during compulsory military service because there was a lot of downtime with nothing to do during thunderstorms which we had an abundance of. Started watching almost all the mavs games in 2012-2013 season when i had more time in the morning, but not so much these days.
Like Reply
(11-18-2019, 11:17 PM)donzingis38 Wrote: Now, I live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.
Jealous, I love the National Parks nearby.
Like Reply
From Turkey. I am a teacher. Age 38.

Have been a fan of Dirk and hence Dallas Mavericks since 2001. Started watching NBA games in the late 90s but the Mavs love began in 2001 when Dirk and Germany national team played here in 2001 European Championship. Dirk was pure greatness in that tournament and I happened to be a die-hard Mavs fan right after.

We, as Europeans, live in the worst time zone when it comes to watching the NBA games. Dallas home games usually start at around 3 am. But still used to wake up so early to watch the games. I watched nearly all the games between the years 2003, when Hedo Turkoglu stepped on Dirk's ankle and led to a playoff series loss, hated him then though he is a Turk, and 2012. I also remember crying after the 2007 first round loss. How was Dirk's three after three in game two btw? Smile The loss against New Orleans in 2009 playoffs was the biggest hit on me, though. After the championship, I got married, had a little girl, been too busy at school. Still trying to keep an eye on my Mavs but can't find the energy in me to wake up so early and watch all the games, yet I feel a must to watch some, for example, today's game against the Spurs.

Have been around with you guys since the Dallasbasketball time. (If the Scout time wasn't before). Maybe earlier, not sure. Smile
Long time Mavs Fan from Turkey who wakes up in the middle of the night to watch the Mavs games.
Like Reply
My family is from Cairo, Egypt just like another user but I was raised in Cleveland, Ohio. Watching Dirk torch LeBron after he burned the Cavs in 2010 still makes me sooo happy.
Like Reply
From England, but living in Japan for the past 6 years...

The Mavs were the first NBA game I saw on late night TV 15 years ago (and I was also into ‘Dallas’ by Johnny winter at the time), and the rest is history...

It’s my dream to see a Mavs game in Dallas some day...
Like Reply
I'm a Hamburger (sic!) from northern Germany. If you followed the forum closely, you'll have recently learned that "burg" is "fortress/castle" in German and Würzburg actually means something like "Spicefortress" Smile. The city of Hamburg is named after the ancient Hammaburg, a (rather unimpressive and lost) fortress build around 800 a.d. (actually even earlier) near the rivers Alster and Elbe. And, to close the story arc, a person from Hamburg is a Hamburger - in German Wink.

If I remember correctly, I discovered this community a year after the championship.

I always liked Dirk and am happy I managed to view him play in person "last minute" in 2015 at the Eurobasket in Berlin and a preparation tourney in Hamburg. Even if he's from southern Germany, his layed-back approach is something more often attributed to us northern Germans.

I've spent a lot of tired days due to watching the Mavs every other night but with a little son I couldn't manage the extra toll that takes in recent years, so I usually try to avoid spoilers and watch the games with a few hours delay on league pass.

I absolutely loved Basketball when I played it first in school during the late 80s/early 90s, but as it wasn't big in Germany that days and the organized part of my free time was packed with practicing music, I've never managed to do more than play in kind of a school team that was practicing on 7 am once a week on a voluntary basis ... (and was in no way comparable to the level of organized basketball at us schools). However, I try to make my son aware of the beautiful game and so far he seems to like it, even if it's only throwing a pair of socks or a childrens soft ball into some sort of basket placed at the heating system Smile.
Like Reply
Fort Worth Texas here. Born and raised in the Fort Worth area.
Like Reply
Born and raised in Omaha, Nebraska, USA. Have lived in New Orleans, Madison Wisconsin, Dallas, St. Louis, Columbus Ohio, DC, and various environs of the Omaha area where I currently reside. My older brother made me an absolutely rabid NBA fan in the early '90s, and in 1995 I finally had the chance to move to a city which had an NBA team. Of course, that was heading into the second year of 3-Js mania. Ugh. Was excited when the Mavs finally righted the ship from the Zachanelli iceberg by hiring Nellie, but found his first few moves rather hair-raising. I can truthfully claim that Dirk was the precise player that I hoped that the Mavs would draft in '98 for a couple of weeks before the draft. Was disappointed but still optimistic after his rookie year; ecstatic ever since. Moved away from Dallas in '99 but have still steadily followed the Mavs. I can truthfully say that Clutch and some others made me excited for the Mavs to get Luka in the run-up to the '18 draft, hah. Currently on an 11-game hiatus from watching Mavs games due to the high debacles of the Knicks games, but it looks from the outside like they're doing fine without me.
Like Reply
(11-19-2019, 10:16 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: I can truthfully say that Clutch and some others made me excited for the Mavs to get Luka in the run-up to the '18 draft, hah. 
Tried to tell everyone he was that damn good...some listened like you and others later found out I was 100% right in my hyping him as the best player in a draft in many years... Wink
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(11-19-2019, 09:40 AM)Jannemann2 Wrote: I'm a Hamburger (sic!) from northern Germany. If you followed the forum closely, you'll have recently learned that "burg" is "fortress/castle" in German and Würzburg actually means something like "Spicefortress" Smile. The city of Hamburg is named after the ancient Hammaburg, a (rather unimpressive and lost) fortress build around 800 a.d. (actually even earlier) near the rivers Alster and Elbe. And, to close the story arc, a person from Hamburg is a Hamburger - in German Wink.

If I remember correctly, I discovered this community a year after the championship.

I always liked Dirk and am happy I managed to view him play in person "last minute" in 2015 at the Eurobasket in Berlin and a preparation tourney in Hamburg. Even if he's from southern Germany, his layed-back approach is something more often attributed to us northern Germans.

I've spent a lot of tired days due to watching the Mavs every other night but with a little son I couldn't manage the extra toll that takes in recent years, so I usually try to avoid spoilers and watch the games with a few hours delay on league pass.

I absolutely loved Basketball when I played it first in school during the late 80s/early 90s, but as it wasn't big in Germany that days and the organized part of my free time was packed with practicing music, I've never managed to do more than play in kind of a school team that was practicing on 7 am once a week on a voluntary basis ... (and was in no way comparable to the level of organized basketball at us schools). However, I try to make my son aware of the beautiful game and so far he seems to like it, even if it's only throwing a pair of socks or a childrens soft ball into some sort of basket placed at the heating system Smile.

And you're our resident scientist (bio-genetics?) and one of the true gentlemen on the forum. :-) 

Jannemann's contributions to our religion/evolution thread were forum HOF worthy.
Like Reply
Born in Houston, lived there for my first 7 years. Dad got transferred to NY, so lived in NJ for 2.5 years, family HATED it there! So my dad quit his job and found one in San Antonio where I learned how to play basketball and I absolutely loved my time there. We left the year before David Robinson joined the team and at the time I really hated the Mavericks cause they would always beat up my SA and Houston teams. We moved to Keller and I still refused to root for the Derek Harper/Ro Blackman/Mark Aguirre Mavs due to them beating up on my other two favorite teams. 

Spent a couple years in the Manitoba/Saskatchewan area of Canada. Came back home and got married and lived in NRH for a few years. I got into banking and bank management and we bought our first house in Lewisville as that was a halfway point between my wife's job and my first bank manager assignment. Lived there for about 12 years until we had our first and only son on the way (yep, 15 years of marriage before having our first child who is about to turn 8). Decided we wanted to move closer to my family in the Keller area (had 3 of my 5 siblings living around here) to get some free babysitting from nieces and nephews who were all of the right age! When my son was born we decided to be a mainly 1 income household so he could have the attention he deserves. My wife's career had taken a HUGE upswing, so I was the work sacrificial lamb. Have had odd jobs that brings in extra income throughout the last 7 or so years, but nothing that sacrifices too much time with my son. 

Back to my fandom. It started turning around with Roy Tarpley. LOVED that guy! Hate his ending! Followed the team since then with my fandom growing, partly cause it was the team I could watch on a consistent basis at the time. The 3-J's won me over and made me a MFFL. I have since rooted for my other teams (recently added OKC to the teams I like due to my nephew moving up there and being a big fan, we go up and watch an OKC/Mavs game every year with him and his family, this year we're going up for the New Years Eve game) except when they play my Mavs.
Like Reply
Born and raised in Dallas(Lake Highlands), and have been in Austin since 2009. Moving to Seattle in 2 months. Been an active Mavs fan since 2004 (going to games, really paying attention to the NBA). Really miss living in a city with an NBA team. Gonna try to go to as many games as I can before I move.
Like Reply
Born and raised in Irving, lived in most of the Dallas county suburbs at one time or another.

Grew up a Cowboys and Rangers fan, and when I heard in 1979 we were getting an NBA team, I went and bought the first Mavericks tshirt I could find. I remember the UTA folks being mad that we stole "their" mascot. Anybody else remember the "Mavericks - nowhere but UTA!" bumper stickers? XD

Kurt Nimphius and Brad Davis were my first favorite Mavs. I didn't know much about basketball when they started the franchise, but I listened to every game on WBAP and watched the few that were on free TV, which in those days weren't very many.

Suffered through the Tarpley heartbreak, the breakup of the 3 J's, and the dark years between there and Dirk.

Move to Arkansas in 2007, and hated Baron Davis that year in the playoffs. Discovered this board that same year, and was overjoyed when Dirk finally brought us to the promised land in 2011.

Been an MFFL since 1980 and will be until the day I die.

Man, Luka is something else. I don't know if he'll be better than Dirk, but he's better than Dirk was when he was 20. The future is bright!
Like Reply
Born and raised in Bossier city, LA. Moved to Dallas area when I was 21 and lived there for about 15 years. Been a Mavs fan since around 2001-2002. Now I live in the North Bay area in wine country. (Sonoma County) Forgot to mention I'm an old man. lol. I'm 45.
Like Reply
Born and raised in Dallas County (Garland actually but I tell everyone I'm from Dallas). Since then I've lived in Iowa, Massachusetts, and now Wyoming. I remember my Dad taking me to Mavs games as early as the Fat Lever days ( I remember him thinking that guys's name was hilarious, so it stuck with me)- so sometime between 1990-1994. Dad wasn't a huge fan, but got tickets through work. The Mavs sucked, but I remember that I still loved the atmosphere at Reunion, and I always remember loving the original logo (still do- bring it back!). With the kids I grew up with, the NBA was huge, but I remember always lamenting that the Mavs were so bad (especially because I remember faint murmurs of them being good in the 80s, which I had no recollection of). When Cuban bought the team, I remember feeling like it was a version of myself getting to own a that team I was a fan of (a dream of mine when I was a kid). Even though he could be an obnoxious a-hole, I always considered him OUR obnoxious a-hole. I vividly remember Calvin Booth hitting that buzzer beater to send us into the second round of the playoffs (for the first time that I was cognitively aware of). I'm slightly ashamed of it now, but I was originally a much bigger fan of Nash than Dirk. I got to go to 3-5 games my senior year of high school with a couple of buddies, one of who's mom got amazing tickets (row J, I think) at AAC through work. Watching Stevie and Dirk, and the atmosphere in the arena, was like a drug. I was hooked since then. 2006 had a horribly traumatic emotional affect on me, but that made 2011 so much sweeter (and I wouldn't trade that 2011 season for almost any memory I have, for a lot of reasons). The Mavs and this board (its previous versions since Yuku) have been there for me as an incredibly useful distraction during some incredibly stressful times, even though most times I was just a lurker. I hadn't had a chance to say it (due to my tendency to just lurk and mostly keep quiet), but thank y'all so much for preserving this thing.
[Image: postmalones.png]
...covered in carats
...mahogany cabinets
...I ball like the Mavericks
Like Reply
Born and raised New Hampshire been a Mavs fan since 83-84, went to college in Florida during the Dark ages of Mavs basketball and still watched when every they were on the TNT George Mcloud against the Suns game was one of my all time favorites.
Like Reply