Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
THE GREEN MACHINE: The Subtle Emergence of Josh Green
(10-03-2023, 08:54 PM)SwisherPrice Wrote: Prediction: the Mavs (Kidd) will treat Green as this year's Christian Wood to try to tank his value.

Wood being hard to deal with may have gotten to Kidd.
So I wouldn't be surprised if Kidd's gone out of his way to tank Wood's value.

But Green seems to me like totally coachable.

Kidd might have been one of the collaborators for a Wood tanking, but I refuse to believe he is that stup1d if he intends to tank Green's value.
It's not his money, it's Mark's.

If Kidd treats Green like he did with Wood.
I bet Mark and Nico would be the masterminds.
Emphasis is on Mark of course.
Like Reply
Several video’s out there previewing Green as an emerging player this upcoming season.

A few numbers contained in these…

His above the break 3% was an incredible 45% last season.

As a roll man he scored 1.18 points per attempt

His high rebound game is 12.  His high assist game is 10 (not something you see from people who are “only” 3 & D) 

In the comments of one of the videos, it was pointed out that Jimmy Butler’s age 23 season as an occasional starter was 8.6/4/1.4.  The next season (age 24) he was 13.1/5/2.6 finally achieving full time starter status.  The upcoming season is Green’s age 23 season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_qgkfZJZZ8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rqI0KZwl_w

These are a little older

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPlBnOV9X_w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soNYtWFt0Ss
[-] The following 2 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • KillerLeft, LifeAquatic
Like Reply
(10-05-2023, 07:46 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Several video’s out there previewing Green as an emerging player this upcoming season.

A few numbers contained in these…

His above the break 3% was an incredible 45% last season.

As a roll man he scored 1.18 points per attempt

His high rebound game is 12.  His high assist game is 10 (not something you see from people who are “only” 3 & D) 

In the comments of one of the videos, it was pointed out that Jimmy Butler’s age 23 season as an occasional starter was 8.6/4/1.4.  The next season (age 24) he was 13.1/5/2.6 finally achieving full time starter status.  The upcoming season is Green’s age 23 season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_qgkfZJZZ8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rqI0KZwl_w

These are a little older

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPlBnOV9X_w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soNYtWFt0Ss

Jimmy Butler is a bold comparison.  In the year mentioned, Jimmy's FGA per 36 stayed roughly the same, and almost all of the difference in scoring was due to going from 26 minutes a game to 39.  I seriously doubt Green is going to get 39 minutes a game.

That being said, if you look at Jimmy's next season (age 25) his FGA per 36 jumped from 9.6 to 13.  That is a massive jump and the kind of jump Green would likely need to get near 15 points a game, so it can be done.  I'm just having a hard time seeing Green turn into Jimmy Butler aggressiveness any time soon.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
Curious what the 2020 NBA Draft Redo would look like.

Looks like Harlobos might have been right on Green.

There are some post 18 picks and 2nd rounders that get good NBA minutes these days.

Green has offensive fundamental flaws...but he seems like a legit player with 3 shot now. He has also polished up his driving and finishing skills a bit. They looked ugly first few years...but he has developed confidence...and I think in 2 years he will look even better by adding to that comfort. He still can only dribble with one hand though.

His offensive skills coming into the league looked like a soccer player that played pick up bball here and there growing up...now he's starting to look like a bball player.
Like Reply
It seems as though Josh is making a mini-leap defensively too. He has had some very impressive performances in the past couple weeks as point of attack defender.
Like Reply
(02-06-2024, 04:15 PM)MarkAguirreWrathofGod Wrote: It seems as though Josh is making a mini-leap defensively too. He has had some very impressive performances in the past couple weeks as point of attack defender.

I just saw on the RealGM Charlotte board someone post a stat painting Josh in a negative light...

They were not liking that he only has 27 blocked shots...not in one year...but in 4 years.

Dont know if the stat is fact or not...just relaying what I read posters discussing on the Charlotte board about Josh.

Someone posted a Pro's and Con's list for Josh...it suggested Josh isnt a good defender and doesnt know when to go over or under on screens and also gives up when screened.  Dont know how accurate those assessments are.   Josh seems to defend well but gets fouls called on him easily.   I think he can defend one on one and think Mavs ask him to run around too much on team defense.   But Im not scout.
Like Reply
(02-06-2024, 04:32 PM)youzigizag Wrote: I just saw on the RealGM Charlotte board someone post a stat painting Josh in a negative light...

They were not liking that he only has 27 blocked shots...not in one year...but in 4 years.

Dont know if the stat is fact or not...just relaying what I read posters discussing on the Charlotte board about Josh.

Someone posted a Pro's and Con's list for Josh...it suggested Josh isnt a good defender and doesnt know when to go over or under on screens and also gives up when screened.  Dont know how accurate those assessments are.   Josh seems to defend well but gets fouls called on him easily.   I think he can defend one on one and think Mavs ask him to run around too much on team defense.   But Im not scout.

Those things are certainly true, he is an awful screen navigator but it's also true that he's played good defense lately.  It's funny because on paper he seems like he should be a POA defender and that's how we use him mostly but he's way better off ball just disrupting everything with his energy.  Screen navigation is a skill that can be taught which is why I'm still hoping we can hold onto Josh.
Like Reply
(02-06-2024, 04:40 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: Those things are certainly true, he is an awful screen navigator but it's also true that he's played good defense lately.  It's funny because on paper he seems like he should be a POA defender and that's how we use him mostly but he's way better off ball just disrupting everything with his energy.  Screen navigation is a skill that can be taught which is why I'm still hoping we can hold onto Josh.

I think a lot of the issues are also about the (lack of) coaching. Especially when it comes to the pick and roll stuff. Mavs add one guy with a good defensive reputation after another (Williams, DJJ) and all of them are struggling in those situations.
Like Reply
The important thing is he’s still improving! And he’s still young. He’s starting to get more benefit of the doubt from the officials too lately, or at least has seems that way to me. He has gotten better at contesting without fouling. I agree the screen navigation needs some work. My guess is he’s adding unnecessary steps that throw him off balance. Footwork efficiency? Would have to watch clips but that’s what I see in my minds eye.
Like Reply
You can’t judge Green or the draft pick on whether someone taken after him is better. It’s really only fair to judge him based on what he’s produced and Josh has justified the pick so far. If he can shoot 40% from the 3 you can’t really trade him.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ThisIStheYear's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
20-21 (30 G - 5 GS) 11.4 MPG
2.6 pts / 2.0 rbs / 0.7 ast

21-22 (67 G - 3 GS) 15.5 MPG
4.8 pts / 2.4 rbs / 1.2 ast

22-23 (60 G - 21 GS) 25.7 MPG
9.1 pts / 3.0 rbs / 1.7 ast

23-24* (20 G - 20 GS) 30.5 MPG
11.7 pts / 4.1 rbs / 2.6 ast

*Since returning from injury