Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
DAMN-WIDDIE: All Things Spencer | "Mr Game Seven" (30 pts, 11-15 FGs, +29)
Two things:

1) I am becoming a HUGE fan of SD. Love the way he plays and fits here.

2) I think Luka agrees with me as I see Luka more willing to be passive and off the ball than he has ever been. I think Luka truly respects SD's game and trusts him to have the ball in his hands in a way that I don't even think Luka completely trusts JB to be honest.
[-] The following 3 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • dynamicalVoid, Hypermav, Mavsfan12
Like Reply
(03-10-2022, 03:10 PM)Mavsfan12 Wrote: Uh...  by watching him play and looking at his stats.  How was he anything other than that in your eyes?  The guy has barely shot 40% from the field and just over 30% from 3 for most of his career.  He was a poor man's Russell Westbrick without elite athleticism.  One thing I've always appreciated about him was his ability to draw fouls, which he does well for a non-star player.  But he wasn't a plus defender, and was an inefficient shooter.  Why would I have wanted him as Luka's running mate?  Why would anyone?  

Again, the player he has been in his short time here has been a massive shift from the player he has always been, in terms of efficiency.  Good for him... and for the Mavs.  If he continues like this, he is an all-star caliber player.  I just think that it is not realistic that ANYONE could have thought that Din would come here and turn in prime Steph Curry level efficiency shooting the ball.  If he is turning in his normal 40/31 %'s, no one is excited to see more of him shooting, even with his creation skills.  And opposing teams aren't closing out on him as hard at the 3pt line for him to get into the paint as easily.  So let's celebrate his success, and hope that the Mavs effect on him lasts!

You know he was a player before his stint with Washington?

And WB? Really - they have like nothing in common.
Like Reply
(03-11-2022, 10:39 PM)Mapka Wrote: You know he was a player before his stint with Washington?

And WB? Really - they have like nothing in common.

Of course!  We are discussing him in FA last summer. However, the player he was in WAS was more in line with the player he was in BKN than the one he has been in DAL.  

This is a frustrating conversation because you don't seem to acknowledge Din's history and efficiency issues.  His game has been a lot like WB's from an efficiency perspective.  Poor 3pt shooters who you could go under screens on, or back off of to protect against their true threat - driving the ball.  WB shoots more midrange I would say, but they have a lot of similarities - for better and for worse.  But Din has been a far improved shooter from the perimeter here so far, which has really changed the way that team's can play him.  His dunk in tonight's game was a perfect example of this.  His defender had to chase him over the pick, creating the switch.  Then, the defender was forced to guard him out to the 3 point line which allowed for the blow-by.  Brooklyn Din was a guy you could go under the pick on and the defense could live with him shooting a 3 off the dribble.
Like Reply
(03-11-2022, 11:31 PM)Mavsfan12 Wrote: Of course!  We are discussing him in FA last summer. However, the player he was in WAS was more in line with the player he was in BKN than the one he has been in DAL.  

I don´t think this is true at all. Dinwiddie had 3 big problems in Washington:

1. He was recovering from a bad injury.

2. He was asked to be the creator for others than a scorer.

3. He couldn´t get along with their lockerroom.

None of this issues were apart in Brooklyn or are here.

(03-11-2022, 11:31 PM)Mavsfan12 Wrote: This is a frustrating conversation because you don't seem to acknowledge Din's history and efficiency issues. 

I acknowledge them, but I interpret them totally different. His history is being a main cog on a over-achieving squad and not being himself after injury and in a toxic(at least for him) environment.

And what you call efficiency issues is caused by having to do too much.

(03-11-2022, 11:31 PM)Mavsfan12 Wrote: His game has been a lot like WB's from an efficiency perspective.  Poor 3pt shooters who you could go under screens on, or back off of to protect against their true threat - driving the ball.  WB shoots more midrange I would say, but they have a lot of similarities - for better and for worse.  But Din has been a far improved shooter from the perimeter here so far, which has really changed the way that team's can play him.

WB is useless off the ball DW isn´t. DWs catch and shoot numbers from three are ok to good historically. Playing next to Luka/Brunson to score instead playing next to Beal to set up Kuzma or next to Joe Harris changes the way he can play teams.

(03-11-2022, 11:31 PM)Mavsfan12 Wrote: His dunk in tonight's game was a perfect example of this.  His defender had to chase him over the pick, creating the switch.  Then, the defender was forced to guard him out to the 3 point line which allowed for the blow-by.  Brooklyn Din was a guy you could go under the pick on and the defense could live with him shooting a 3 off the dribble.

The only thing this example shows is how bad Houston is at the moment.

I agree DW is on a hot streak from 3, but that´s not what makes me wanting him on the team.
I wanted a player that´s able to score on his own if needed and can play on and off the ball.

it doesn´t matter if his FG% is 44 or 41 in the end. (Spoiler it is expected to be better here).
Like Reply
(03-09-2022, 03:43 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: That's a good philosophy. The only times good teams let go good players is if the players themselves want out or the good player is about to be no longer good. 

Bagley was a guy I was heavily interested in. His lack of defense made me worry, but I find myself believing that was a product of the Kings environment rather than a Bagley thing.

His draft profile was that he was terrible at defense to the point that Duke had to go through hoops to hide him.  I kind of thought of him as a Dwight Powell on steroids.  A really good rotation player than can give you instant offense off the bench, but not really a core guy on a contender.
Like Reply
Super busy in the last couple of days but there isn´t enough SD hype on this board. Time to change that.

From...

https://twitter.com/Mavs_FFL/status/1502781621912621059

To...

https://twitter.com/statmuse/status/1503130113029795841
[-] The following 2 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • Kammrath, KillerLeft
Like Reply
There was an article about Dinwiddie posted by either FGump or Dan I think, that had a tweet in it that showed SD's stats for the first 10 games with Was, then the stats he had accumulated to that point with the Mavs. They were similar stat lines. I've been waiting to see how he does AFTER his first 10 games. So far so good. Hope he keeps it up!
Like Reply
[Image: FNrz6mcVEAAZSBu?format=jpg&name=large]
Like Reply
Some of us, myself included, get caught up in what the Mavs may or may not need in order to be a contender next year - that we might be overlooking that the front office just made a franchise changing trade… that makes this years Mavs a contender..

Dinwiddie has directly resulted in 4 wins what would have otherwise been losses, that I can think of off the top of my head.. He makes this team dynamic on offense and doesn’t hurt the team defense, due to his length and effort.

First year GM, Nico, deserves more praise and maybe we (me) need to take this years team more serious when it comes to contender “talk”.
Like Reply
(03-13-2022, 08:14 PM)Smitty Wrote: Some of us, myself included, get caught up in what the Mavs may or may not need in order to be a contender next year - that we might be overlooking that the front office just made a franchise changing trade… that makes this years Mavs a contender..

Dinwiddie has directly resulted in 4 wins what would have otherwise been losses, that I can think of off the top of my head.. He makes this team dynamic on offense and doesn’t hurt the team defense, due to his length and effort.

First year GM, Nico, deserves more praise and maybe we (me) need to take this years team more serious when it comes to contender “talk”.

Don't really see this team as a contender.  We are way too thin in the front court.  Playoff teams are going to exploit that in a seven game series.

I think we need to be careful to not go overboard on Din.  He is a good player and its good to see how well he jells with Luka and the rest of the team, but his efficiency in not sustainable.  By himself I don't see him bringing this team to contender level.  At a minimum they will have to replace the hole left in the frontcourt.  

I have just posted on another thread all of my issues with the moves made in the offseason/TDL during Nico's tenure, but my understanding is that falls more on Cuban than Nico.  I have read multiple sources on this board suggesting that Cuban is basically the GM and Nico was brought in for his relationships, presumably to help this team attract free agents.  Considering our biggest signing (that wasn't a re signing) last offseason was Reggie Bullock and that we are likely to be over the cap (and possibly in the tax) for the foreseeable future, I'm not really sure what he is bringing to the table.
Like Reply
Hey Spencer -- We appreciate you, too.

https://twitter.com/DorothyJGentry/statu...0125878272
[-] The following 6 users Like Tyler's post:
  • HIMAV, Kammrath, KillerLeft, Mavsfan12, michaeltex, Smitty
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/pandahank41/status/1...4665693184
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/TheHoopCentral/statu...1653999621
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/dallasmavs/status/15...6501403649
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post: