Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Luxury Tax Hell
(07-04-2022, 04:44 PM)F Gump Wrote: "The challenge becomes that we'll need to find ways to overpay or be creative to sign players (more years, options, incentives)"

I would hope for way better than this. You can't build a top team when everyone is on bloated deals. And I think more deals like DFS, Maxi, Bullock are possible to get, if you are disciplined. At the moment, we can also add Wood to that list, I think.

The real thing that has to happen is that they have to find a way to make the GL and 2-way platforms work to create young, bargain talent for them. The Mavs have been AWFUL at those levels, and that's where bargains can not only be found, but created.

You can hope for way better but until the MBT proves otherwise, that's a waste of hope.  Most front offices are much, much smarter these days.  A deals like Paul Millsap to the Hawks is not likely to happen these days.  Mark has always been impatient so I don't see "GL/2-ways" as his path forward.  I think because he built a championship team in 2011 that he's capable of doing it again and in a similar fashion and that's just not how the league operates anymore.  I'm not saying we should money whip free agents but to get anyone here, we'll need to overpay in free agency and most likely in the trade market too given our recent history...though the Wood trade does give me a little hope.  Slight overpays are okay as is being creative with contracts.  It's why we have Bullock and why we didn't land Crowder.

I guess Hardy will be a nice benchmark to see if MBT 2.0 is any better at this.  

(07-04-2022, 04:59 PM)Smitty Wrote: No disrespect intended. My words could have been chosen better.

Dumb = Me, not your label.  I was vocal against resigning THJ (felt like Dwight Powell move to a much lesser extent).  At least the contract structure makes him more attractive with every year that passes.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • Smitty
Like Reply
THJ had to be signed.  At the time Brunson had not shown himself as a legit scoring option, SD was not here, and KP was injury prone.  Whether efficient or not you want scorers too.  Where else was the scoring going to come from apart from Luka?
[-] The following 5 users Like hakeemfaan's post:
  • BigDirk41, embellisher, F Gump, KillerLeft, Smitty
Like Reply
(07-04-2022, 04:22 PM)F Gump Wrote: Hindsight is 20-20, isn't it?

A year ago, Brunson's ceiling was undersized, no-defense backup, with hopes he might one day become what JJB was, but wasn't really playoff caliber. And THJ was a full-sized SG with a good shot, who didn't shrink in the playoffs and might get even better, a shooter Luka needed to space the floor.

We'd all love to go back and reverse things last summer. What a great place they would be right now. Alas.

These are just people easily fooled by cognitive biases and small sample sizes who are plagued by wishful thinking and indecisiveness.  Over the course of the past two seasons, Jalen has remained almost exactly the same player, except for playing a few more minutes per game in 21/22.  As far as JB’s “development” goes, nothing surprising at all happened.  GMing apparently isn’t rocket science, but you’d expect better evaluation and planning skills from professionals.  You eff around and find out I guess.  The passivity and ad hoc management that led to JB leaving for absolutely nothing is a case study in failure.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ThisIStheYear's post:
  • BoredAssistant
Like Reply
(07-05-2022, 09:19 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Over the course of the past two seasons, Jalen has remained almost exactly the same player, except for playing a few more minutes per game in 21/22.  As far as JB’s “development” goes, nothing surprising at all happened.  

From my point of view, this point of view has no basis in reality. That said, your point remains - it was on the Mavs to know who Brunson was and what he would become. The fact of the matter is that the Mavs' timeline was screwed - Brunson hadn't showed out like he would in the playoffs before the trade deadline, so teams were hardly going to give the Mavs his eventual real worth in trade, whereas after the TDL, he was no longer the Mavs' asset.
[-] The following 3 users Like Scott41theMavs's post:
  • DallasMaverick, F Gump, MFFL
Like Reply
Heard a segment on The FAN yesterday where they talked about Cuban with some sarcastic likes of tweets blasting him.  The more interesting thing was they referenced that in the last decade the Mavs are dead last in something related to spending. Dead last. I couldn’t quite make out what they were saying as I thought the Mavs always had a full payroll regardless of the lack of paying luxury tax.  

Anyone know what they were referencing?
Like Reply
(07-06-2022, 07:47 AM)hakeemfaan Wrote: Heard a segment on The FAN yesterday where they talked about Cuban with some sarcastic likes of tweets blasting him.  The more interesting thing was they referenced that in the last decade the Mavs are dead last in something related to spending. Dead last. I couldn’t quite make out what they were saying as I thought the Mavs always had a full payroll regardless of the lack of paying luxury tax.  

Anyone know what they were referencing?

I think this but I don't understand what cash spending means:

https://twitter.com/JamesBeaver01/status...8975511559

Like I am not sure how that differs from salary cap bc last year they were pretty high in terms of salary cap spending but the "cash spending" number is much lower.
Like Reply
(07-06-2022, 07:52 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: I think this but I don't understand what cash spending means:

https://twitter.com/JamesBeaver01/status...8975511559

Like I am not sure how that differs from salary cap bc last year they were pretty high in terms of salary cap spending but the "cash spending" number is much lower.

Thank You
Like Reply
The last spot is just probably an Alamo plan (Tyreke Evans, Schroeder), should there other plans not pan out.
Like Reply