Poll: Who will win the game?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Mavericks
42.86%
3 42.86%
Suns
57.14%
4 57.14%
Total 7 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 46: PHX (35-9) @ DAL (26-20) | 109-101 loss
(01-21-2022, 01:43 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Gotcha. 

I think that in the NBA, dudes who get paid like Porzingis get played when games are decided. I feel like it's safe to build that into our thinking. 

There's an issue relevant to this going on in LA with Westbrook right now. They're much better off not playing him, but they kind of have to...because he's Westbrook. There's a political element to it, both in the locker room and from outside lookers on.

Man I really hope Luka doesn’t turn into a Westbrook. Great stats but poor shot selection, no interest in defense,  and ball hogging in the clutch. At least Westbrook stayed in shape his whole career and until recently was a dependable FT shooter.
Like Reply
(01-21-2022, 05:01 PM)hakeemfaan Wrote: Man I really hope Luka doesn’t turn into a Westbrook. Great stats but poor shot selection, no interest in defense,  and ball hogging in the clutch. At least Westbrook stayed in shape his whole career and until recently was a dependable FT shooter.

I don't think Luka is anything like Westbrook. Luka's shot, pass and rebound volume are attained differently than Westbrook's.
Not very astute ^^^^
[-] The following 2 users Like fifteenth's post:
  • Hypermav, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(01-21-2022, 04:35 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: You can´t say the Lakers are a better team without Westbrook. Westbrook has played every game, so you´d have to get a sample without him first. They are simply a team with no depth.

I mean...you can disagree with anything I say, and that's fine. 

But, having watched them a little (not a lot) and after observing what I interpret as them playing better while he sits, I can say that I think they're better when he's not on the floor. I can easily say that.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(01-21-2022, 05:01 PM)hakeemfaan Wrote: Man I really hope Luka doesn’t turn into a Westbrook. Great stats but poor shot selection, no interest in defense,  and ball hogging in the clutch. At least Westbrook stayed in shape his whole career and until recently was a dependable FT shooter.

Yes, the step back jacks need to be toned down in the 4th quarter and replaced with ball movement basketball which seems to evade Dallas in the last 5 minutes of games. I thought Luka’s D was pretty decent for most of the game, however. 

But what concerns me more about Luka than anything else is the lack of maturity. Yes, I know he’s only 22 going on 23, but what he said to THJ during the timeout was total horse schiatt. It may be the god’s honest truth, but you don’t go out of your way to embarrass a teammate on the court, in the huddle, in public, etc. I guess I’m spoiled by the humble human being Dirk is, who probably was still too shy at that age to call out a teammate anyway.
“BE CURIOUS, NOT JUDGMENTAL…”
Like Reply
(01-21-2022, 05:53 PM)OBX Maverick Wrote: but what he said to THJ during the timeout was total horse schiatt

Whoa, what did he say?
Like Reply
(01-21-2022, 05:53 PM)OBX Maverick Wrote: Yes, the step back jacks need to be toned down in the 4th quarter and replaced with ball movement basketball which seems to evade Dallas in the last 5 minutes of games. I thought Luka’s D was pretty decent for most of the game, however. 

But what concerns me more about Luka than anything else is the lack of maturity. Yes, I know he’s only 22 going on 23, but what he said to THJ during the timeout was total horse schiatt. It may be the god’s honest truth, but you don’t go out of your way to embarrass a teammate on the court, in the huddle, in public, etc. I guess I’m spoiled by the humble human being Dirk is, who probably was still too shy at that age to call out a teammate anyway.

I can't find a report on what Luka said. Do you know what he said?
Not very astute ^^^^
Like Reply
(01-21-2022, 05:53 PM)OBX Maverick Wrote: Yes, the step back jacks need to be toned down in the 4th quarter and replaced with ball movement basketball which seems to evade Dallas in the last 5 minutes of games.

Luka took 0 threes in the Q4... In fact, he was 2-3 from the field. Rest of team was 6-16.
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
I think OBX might have fallen victim to some humoooor.
[-] The following 3 users Like ItsGoTime's post:
  • cow, fifteenth, Tyler
Like Reply
I might have fallen to that better as bbq than alive bovine (edit: sorry, this may be a but over the top for some), but then I realized the true nature of every beef product. They draw you in with that saucy humor just so you gain some empathy before ordering that delicious smoky goodness!!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
(01-21-2022, 06:20 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I think OBX might have fallen victim to some humoooor.

Ohhhhhhhh!!! Ha ha!! That cow. 

[Image: 200.gif]
Not very astute ^^^^
[-] The following 1 user Likes fifteenth's post:
  • cow
Like Reply
(01-21-2022, 05:44 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I mean...you can disagree with anything I say, and that's fine. 

But, having watched them a little (not a lot) and observing what I think is them playing better while he sits, I can say that I think they're better when he's not on the floor. I can easily say that.

Sure, I can also say Mavs are better without Luka and point to the on/off being negative. I´m just so bored about people repeating everything the national media hammers them over the head with for years. A few months ago Lavine was a losing player, Vucevic was a losing player, DeRozan was a losing player, Lonzo was a losing player. Guess if you combine four losing players you get the top seed in the East. Shy 

It´s always the same BS about the same players. No team becomes better by simply removing Westbrook from the team, especially not a team like the currently constructed Lakers. 

You remove Westbrook from the Lakers what you have left is Malik Monk, Carmelo Anthony, Avery Bradley, Horton-Tucker, Dwight Howard/DeAndre Jordan. 33 year old LeBron couldn´t carry Lonzo, Ingram, Zubac, Bullock, Muscala, Rondo, KCP, Kuzma to the play-offs, but 37 year old LeBron carries this sh*tshow to a 0.500+ record. Jesus.

You can say that they made a mistake trading their depth for Westbrook, but to say they´d be a better team right now by removing Westbrook....eh.
Like Reply
(01-21-2022, 06:57 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: I´m just so bored about people repeating everything the national media hammers them over the head with for years.

Whoa, whoa, whoa...this is my honest opinion. Now, to be fully transparent, I have hated Westbrook's game for many, many years, so it's possible my expectation for him to not fit in there could be coloring my current opinion, but I'm not repeating anyone else's opinion - or else I'd say so. I have, of course, heard national people criticize Westbrook (a lot). But, I don't agree with everything I hear (although I do in this case). 

But I, KillerLeft, think Westbrook is not a great NBA player, especially in situations when he is not the lead ball-handler. I stand behind that take with confidence. I don't need you to agree, but it's my take, for sure.
  • BackToSquareOne
Like Reply
(01-21-2022, 06:57 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: You can say that they made a mistake trading their depth for Westbrook, but to say they´d be a better team right now by removing Westbrook....eh.

Let me put it this way: I think any team trading anything of value to them for Westbrook would be a mistake, UNLESS they want to give him the ball. I think he can still do some good things as the lead guard, but that he's not good enough anymore, even in that role, to lead a team to the playoffs. In any sort of off-ball role, I truly think he is a BAD player. 

I take it you don't - that's fine. My opinion is not intended to upset you in any way, pal!
  • BackToSquareOne
Like Reply
(01-21-2022, 07:39 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: But I, KillerLeft, think Westbrook is not a great NBA player, especially in situations when he is not the lead ball-handler. I stand behind that take with confidence. I don't need you to agree, but it's my take, for sure.

We should trade for Westbrook.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(01-21-2022, 08:00 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: We should trade for Westbrook.

Wow, what did I do to get everyone angry with me today?
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • Paul Gasol, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(01-21-2022, 08:00 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: We should trade for Westbrook.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...%3Fssl%3D1&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailycal.org%2F2013%2F11%2F22%2Flast-time-cal-won-big-game-kanye-cut-taylor-swift%2Fhow-about-no-bear-meme%2F&tbnid=Y00o9uBoXWH3sM&vet=12ahUKEwjJqaSMl8T1AhVGAJ0JHRUXCLwQMygMegUIARCmAQ..i&docid=nEMMdvMRlIL2pM&w=549&h=320&q=bear%20how%20about%20no&ved=2ahUKEwjJqaSMl8T1AhVGAJ0JHRUXCLwQMygMegUIARCmAQ
Like Reply
(01-20-2022, 11:41 PM)Omega_Supreme Wrote: KP will be 27 in August and guys that old just don't reinvent themselves. KP is a better than average player with a limited offensive game. He has no counters and often just does what he thinks can get him a bucket, no flow or consistency in his game. 

As I said, I am not buying KP as a number 2 and likely will for this inability to score in the post. For the Mavs to be serious KP will need to be the number 3 option behind Luka and and a legit 1b or number 2 quality starter. .

Dirk was 26 his first season without Nash and 27 in his first full season with Avery. And he also hadn't lost almost 2 full years to a major injury. It is certainly possible for KP to make significant additions to his game even at this point--assuming he has the ability, the willingness, and the proper guidance on how to do that.

(And he stays healthy which is always the caveat for him).
[-] The following 2 users Like Arioch's post:
  • BackToSquareOne, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(01-21-2022, 10:50 PM)Arioch Wrote: Dirk was 26 his first season without Nash and 27 in his first full season with Avery. And he also hadn't lost almost 2 full years to a major injury. It is certainly possible for KP to make significant additions to his game even at this point--assuming he has the ability, the willingness, and the proper guidance on how to do that.

(And he stays healthy which is always the caveat for him).

Going to play devil's advocate here and say Dirk as a player and his work ethic dwarfs that of KPs and why I'm skeptical KP can improve at 26 like Dirk. Dirk always came back with something new to his game, or more polished in an aspect of his moveset. 

KP has remained largely the same guy the last 3 years. Of course the injuries have affected his ability to add to his game, but he hasn't even gotten more aware on the court. He still tries to dribble through 3 guys and get the ball stripped. He still takes rushed shots. These are basic simple things that get fixed by just watching film.

I hope KP gets better. I was/am the biggest KP advocate, and appreciate he's starting to put things together, but he really has to start consistently acting like the number 2 guy around here.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(01-21-2022, 11:55 PM)SleepingHero Wrote:  I was/am the biggest KP advocate

Someone has been posting from Killer's account that has surpassed you as the biggest KP advocate
Not very astute ^^^^
[-] The following 1 user Likes fifteenth's post:
  • BackToSquareOne
Like Reply
(01-21-2022, 06:00 PM)fifteenth Wrote: I can't find a report on what Luka said. Do you know what he said?

Luka apparently said, “We’re paying you how much to shoot 32% from 3?!”

Yeah, Luka may have not taken a lot of shots in the 4th on Thursday, likely d/t his neck, and yeah we missed some wide open 3’s, but you can’t argue that our ball movement tends to decrease late in games.
“BE CURIOUS, NOT JUDGMENTAL…”
Like Reply