Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FA: DAL signs Marquese Chriss (6'9", 7'0.25" WS) to two year deal
(12-24-2021, 08:18 PM)MrGoat Wrote: He was on the Warriors. After a season of him they decided to re sign him (technically they signed him to a partially guaranteed two year deal but it became fully guaranteed after the first season when they decided to keep him). But he broke his leg after two games the next season. We're the first team to sign him since.

With the context of a team like the Warriors being willing to keep this guy a second time after a full season of him I'm not particularly concerned that we found him in the G league.

Now that I've seen him play he's growing on me pretty quickly

Kudos to Nico for being the first to pick up the phone.
Like Reply
If they don't keep him long term and dump one of several useless bums I will be pissed...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
[-] The following 2 users Like ClutchDirk's post:
  • MFFL, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(12-24-2021, 11:03 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: If they don't keep him long term and dump one of several useless bums I will be pissed...
Roster hate detected!
[-] The following 2 users Like ItsGoTime's post:
  • ClutchDirk, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(12-24-2021, 11:03 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: If they don't keep him long term and dump one of several useless bums I will be pissed...

I can't wait until Chriss has a year long contract so I can start hating him like the rest of our bench.
Like Reply
Chriss is obviously in the mix to replace the ghost of WCS. However, what I didn’t expect is how much I prefer him to Powell as well. He’s active on both ends around the basket and provides an edge we could use.  Kind of crazy when the guy you pick up off the street is superior to your top two centers (KP excluded). 

The other thing which ticks me off is watching Boban glued to the bench while we’re running replacement players. Why the heck did we re-sign him? To make Luka happy? To play him 5 minutes here and there to change the momentum in a game gone bad? Because of his jovial spirit? 

I’m hoping that Nico et al will improve our talent assessment/acquisition process moving forward, but my hopes are not too high at the moment

Don’t know about you guys, but I CAN’T WAIT to watch some late night Christmas G-League basketball in Salt Lake!

Merry Christmas everyone!
Like Reply
Did anyone else see this from a few days ago.  I found this interesting.    I wonder how many players the Mavs have been looking at.  2.5-3 weeks ago was probably before they thought there was going to be a big outbreak affecting every team.

https://twitter.com/CallieCaplan/status/...9853293570

Maybe Chriss can be a short term fix....or maybe longer.   Possibly he could make taking on a bigger salary (Theis, Favors, Olynk) not needed.  They are probably better players, but they $ pretty good money.   Chris appears to have good hands.  I want to take a good look at him, but I may be interested to see him starting next to KP.  Not the ideal player I want next to him but it could help our big man rotation a little more.

I keep coming back to what this roster would look like if they had a better version of Chriss and Pinson on the team.    I think that would solve a lot of issues with this team.
Like Reply
(12-25-2021, 10:37 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Did anyone else see this from a few days ago.  I found this interesting.    I wonder how many players the Mavs have been looking at.  2.5-3 weeks ago was probably before they thought there was going to be a big outbreak affecting every team.

I've thinking about that tryout since reading the news.  I see a few options...

1.  Cut either Willie or Moses?  

2.  Or, a 2 for 1 (or 3 for 2) trade where a big is outgoing (again, probably Willie or Moses). 

Moses is only $500k guaranteed this year and he's earned that by now.  So, no real financial issue if the receiving team cuts him.  He's also the kind of guy a fan base can talk themselves into believing that...maybe...some day...he might turn into something.  

Willie can be cut by the receiving team and isn't owed anything in 2022 either.  His attraction is his $4.1mm salary can bring back $7.2mm.  Or, combine him with someone like RB and you can get to $18.7mm (Eric Gordon money).  You can get into the low 30's if you combine him with THJ.   

Cutting Willie doesn't seem realistic until after the TDL.  So, it seems they were contemplating some kind of deal given the fact they were working out Chriss before Omicron became a thing.
[-] The following 2 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • Kammrath, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(12-25-2021, 04:51 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I've thinking about that tryout since reading the news.  I see a few options...

2.  Or, a 2 for 1 (or 3 for 2) trade where a big is outgoing (again, probably Willie or Moses). 

Moses is only $500k guaranteed this year and he's earned that by now.  So, no real financial issue if the receiving team cuts him.  He's also the kind of guy a fan base can talk themselves into believing that...maybe...some day...he might turn into something.  

Willie can be cut by the receiving team and isn't owed anything in 2022 either.  His attraction is his $4.1mm salary can bring back $7.2mm.  Or, combine him with someone like RB and you can get to $18.7mm (Eric Gordon money).  You can get into the low 30's if you combine him with THJ.   

Cutting Willie doesn't seem realistic until after the TDL.  So, it seems they were contemplating some kind of deal given the fact they were working out Chriss before Omicron became a thing.

Nice thoughts.  We will see if anything happens.  I would be interested to see where they worked Chriss out.   A few weeks ago, Tyrell Terry had a post on instagram about being in LA.  It was the same time the Mavs were playing back to back against the Clippers.   I was curious if he was meeting with the Mavs too.   Probably reading too much into it.   BTW, Terry just signed a 10 day with the Grizzles.
Like Reply
(12-25-2021, 04:51 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I've thinking about that tryout since reading the news.  I see a few options...

Yeah, I was thinking the other week that as long as he was out, that he's not coming back and they are going to use his 4.1 in a trade.
"There are no friends on the court." - Luka Doncic
Like Reply
(12-25-2021, 07:54 PM)TXBamanut Wrote: Yeah, I was thinking the other week that as long as he was out, that he's not coming back and they are going to use his 4.1 in a trade.

I legit think "personal reasons" = "sent away from team."
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • luka_skywalker_77
Like Reply
(12-25-2021, 08:00 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I legit think "personal reasons" = "sent away from team."

Makes sense sort of but then he was starting before the personal reasons thing so that's odd
Like Reply
That being said I am 99% sure WCS is getting waived soon for Chriss.
Like Reply
(12-25-2021, 08:07 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Makes sense sort of but then he was starting before the personal reasons thing so that's odd

Maybe something happened in the locker room with another player? Maybe something happened with Coach Kidd, Larry Sanders style? 

IDK, but dude has been gone a WHILE now.
Like Reply
(12-25-2021, 08:15 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: IDK, but dude has been gone a WHILE now.

About 2 and half weeks?  or has it been longer?
Like Reply
His last game was 11/27.
Like Reply

How about WCS+Bullock+Cash for Joe Ingles?

Mavs get a shooter and a heady 6th man. Utah gets a 3 and D guy they've been angling for for years now.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(12-26-2021, 10:26 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: How about WCS+Bullock+Cash for Joe Ingles?

Mavs get a shooter and a heady 6th man. Utah gets a 3 and D guy they've been angling for for years now.

The Jazz, being a savvy and well-run organization, don't do that without Dallas including a first, in which case it becomes too hefty of a price.
Like Reply
(12-26-2021, 10:31 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: The Jazz, being a savvy and well-run organization, don't do that without Dallas including a first, in which case it becomes too hefty of a price.

Very true. 

But the Jazz might be getting a little desperate. I know we've been screaming at the Mavs for basically running the exact same team over and over, but the Jazz are in the same boat. Albeit with better pieces and more success, so it's less of a sin. 

That same Jazz team has been handed playoff disappointment after playoff disappointment and it keeps coming down to a lack of perimeter defenders. Ingles is having a down year by his standards. To me it seems like a perfect buy low candidate. 

Watch Bullock become a 45% 3pt shooter as soon as he leaves the Mavs.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(12-26-2021, 10:36 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Watch Bullock become a 45% 3pt shooter as soon as he leaves the Mavs.

It. Will. Happen.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/...5744348167
Like Reply