Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FA: DAL signs Marquese Chriss (6'9", 7'0.25" WS) to two year deal
(12-21-2021, 03:53 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: I shouldn´t be disappointed by a hardship signing but somehow I am. Bring in a vet that can actually help for a couple of games (Vonleh, Aminu, Patterson) or take a flyer on a young guy and see if he can earn a roster spot. Feels like the Mavs did neither. What is the goal right now? Win at all costs or develop the roster and improve the overall talent.
Would have prefered someone like Sekou Doumobouya, Harry Giles or even Feron Hunt for the big wing/small ball big role. If there ever was a time to give younger guys some playing time it is right now.

Honestly surprised at the names out there and tend to agree with your assessment.
Like Reply
(12-21-2021, 11:47 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Honestly surprised at the names out there and tend to agree with your assessment.

And both of you would be wrong.  This is why we are fans and not front office people.  We literally wouldn't have won that game last night without Chriss' defense (believe it or not) against Towns.  I can't believe that I'm typing that quite honestly.

I don't think the answer "take a flyer" is way overused and on a team that's hemorrhaging like this, I'm not sure that's the plan.  You find someone to stop the bleeding and at least for one night, Pinson and Chriss did exactly what we needed them to do to win.
"There are no friends on the court." - Luka Doncic
Like Reply
(12-20-2021, 11:57 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Honestly the same vibe I got. 

I'm pretty sure the Mavs are keeping WCS away from the team like they did with Terry due to mental health concerns. This is all hersay of course, but   he just doesn't care about basketball. WCS said himself that basketball was secondary to him. 

Only reason why the Mavs haven't waived him yet cause I'm sure they'd rather use his 4 mil for salary matching purposes than eat the contract if they have to.

Chris fits the same mold as WCS and for a bad Warriors team put up a respectable 9ppg and 6rpg. Could do a lot worse for a COVID replacement player.

Edit: LOL just read your second post and your thoughts were pretty much the same as mine.

[Image: spider-man.gif]
Like Reply
(12-22-2021, 08:53 AM)TXBamanut Wrote: And both of you would be wrong.  This is why we are fans and not front office people.  We literally wouldn't have won that game last night without Chriss' defense (believe it or not) against Towns.  I can't believe that I'm typing that quite honestly.

I think you are wrong to take a flyer on a team that's hemorraghing like this.  You find someone to stop the bleeding and at least for one night, Pinson and Chriss did exactly what we needed them to do to win.

Happy to admit that I was wrong. Both looked off in the sense that they obviously had no clue about the Mavs playbook and schemes (an area where more experienced players probably have an advantage) but they made up for it with high energy and exposed the limitations of some of the more proven starters. Pinson started strong but struggled in the 2nd half. Chriss had a few WCS/McGee-like moments (seems like the Mavs have a type) but as you pointed out his 4th quarter defense was crucial.

More interesting question.
So far we are only talking about one game but if this turns into a trend it tells us a lot about the overall talent level of the roster. If g-league players can outperform Bullock and WCS without even having a single practice session with the team both are in trouble.

Overall I just want them to focus on roster development. Even if it costs them a few games. Mavs desperately need a talent infusion. Even if it is a longshot hardship contracts are a chance to do that. Maybe one of the new guys sticks.
Like Reply
(12-22-2021, 09:18 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: More interesting question.
So far we are only talking about one game but if this turns into a trend it tells us a lot about the overall talent level of the roster. If g-league players can outperform Bullock and WCS without even having a single practice session with the team both are in trouble.

For me, I think Willie is gone.  He's just waiting for them to use his salary in a trade and to get bought out.  Seriously, I think he's done with basketball, until we Keith Van Horn his contract.  So, every article you read or rumor you hear is the Mavs are looking for help in the frontcourt, and it's no stretch to just watch them and see they need it.   I really wasn't joking that I think Pinson was a stop gap, but Chriss is an audition for Willie's spot.

I'm not worried about Bullock.  I've seen him play in the league enough to know that this is a slump...I'll wait him out until the off season or the TDL if he gets traded.

I don't really think that we can dump a large portion of our roster, raid the G League and be a better team...I really don't.  I think what this shows is that Nico and Kidd are doing their homework (and probably Finley, let's not forget him) on who they bring in.  We are not giving them enough credit for last night, I think.  If it was "any G Leaguer", then they probably would have called up Jones and Hunt, but this shows that they are paying attention to what they need, who they are playing for the next 10 days and made a good call for at least one game.  Feron Hunt isn't holding Big Kat to 1-4 shooting in the stretch and probably would be awestruck playing in the game if he was in last night.

My last night overreaction isn't "let's go get the G League", but it's more like they know more about scouting and talent than a lot of people think and while everyone misses on players, with their penchant for trying things and obvious work in scouting, we should get the roster upgrade that we've all been looking for...within reason.  I don't think Nico can turn Dwight Powell into Myles Turner.

I definitely think that Chriss can be a better Mavs Willie than Willie has shown to be, if last night is any indication.

I think Pinson and Chriss have some warts, and they'll probably show up with more minutes played, so I'm not going to freak out when they do something bad.  I play in bands sometimes, and when I just jump in and fill in at the last second, I often play/sing my best, even better than when I prepare...this could be one of those times for them.  Hopefully, it gives them some good momentum to start and they can move forward with it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes TXBamanut's post:
  • BackToSquareOne
Like Reply
Chriss seems like the "enforcer" type that is sometimes mentioned here. Which is not a bad thing for this Mavs team.

He's had run-ins with both KP and Luka in the past, so it will be interesting to see their interactions with him.
[-] The following 2 users Like michaeltex's post:
  • KillerLeft, MFFL
Like Reply
Mavs might have found that one player that Randy Galloway was talking about years ago when he said "Mavs need to thug it up".
Like Reply
(12-22-2021, 08:53 AM)TXBamanut Wrote: And both of you would be wrong.  This is why we are fans and not front office people.  We literally wouldn't have won that game last night without Chriss' defense (believe it or not) against Towns.  I can't believe that I'm typing that quite honestly.

I don't think the answer "take a flyer" is way overused and on a team that's hemorrhaging like this, I'm not sure that's the plan.  You find someone to stop the bleeding and at least for one night, Pinson and Chriss did exactly what we needed them to do to win.

Which only proves the point that we severely overrate our own players, even in comparison to failed lottery picks like Chriss. That´s why I am so high on taking a chance on a guy like Bagley. We are talking about a knucklehead, but one that is 22 years old, barely 150 games into his NBA career, and his career averages of 15/8 already put him far ahead of our current PF/C rotation. He could easily develop into a Julius Randle down the road.

I look at the Kings roster, I´d point-blank tell them: Kleber+THJ for Bagley and you can literally choose from your players to make the salaries match.

We don´t care. And we really shouldn´t care, because they are either good high salary players or shitty expirers. Either works for us. Big Grin
[-] The following 3 users Like Mavs2021's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid, Scott41theMavs, TXBamanut
Like Reply
(12-22-2021, 12:58 PM)michaeltex Wrote: Chriss seems like the "enforcer" type that is sometimes mentioned here. Which is not a bad thing for this Mavs team.

He's had run-ins with both KP and Luka in the past, so it will be interesting to see their interactions with him.

Dirk was asked about this in the past and his answer was simple and I'm paraphrasing, "Competing against someone is one thing but once they are on your team, all is forgiven."  There are extreme versions that might be an exception to this mindset (Rodman to the Bulls) but I don't think MC is anywhere near that level of animosity.
[-] The following 2 users Like cow's post:
  • dirkfansince1998, TXBamanut
Like Reply
(12-22-2021, 01:22 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Which only proves the point that we severely overrate our own players, even in comparison to failed lottery picks like Chriss. That´s why I am so high on taking a chance on a guy like Bagley. We are talking about a knucklehead, but one that is 22 years old, barely 150 games into his NBA career, and his career averages of 15/8 already put him far ahead of our current PF/C rotation. He could easily develop into a Julius Randle down the road.

I look at the Kings roster, I´d point-blank tell them: Kleber+THJ for Bagley and you can literally choose from your players to make the salaries match.

We don´t care. And we really shouldn´t care, because they are either good high salary players or shitty expirers. Either works for us. Big Grin

Knucklehead...that's the whole point with Bagley.  See Willie Cauley Stein...the head makes all the difference.  

I'm fine with a fliyer on Bagley, but there's no way under God's green Earth that I'd give them THJ + Maxi for Bagley and trash...that's stupid, imho.  If Sacto wants Burke and a second round pick, sure or something like that...yeah.

I don't think "Chriss had a good game" = "Bagley can play", I would say that the more evidence would be this.

If "Nico & Kidd trade for Bagley", then "they think he might be an asset" ="with their evaluation of Pinson and Chriss, maybe we should trust that more."  
Opposite is true also...if they don't trade for him, then maybe we should trust that also.

Again, trading Maxi Kleber and THJ for Bagley and overpaid trash (for me) = Trust Mavs 2021's GM decisions less.  Wink
Like Reply
Chriss got interviewed on The Ticket today. Just listened. I like the guy! Funny that he's gotten into it with KP and Luka both!
Like Reply
Chriss is intriguing and I did a little research on him. Its really hard for those guys that are 1 and done to hit in the league as most teams give up on them before the 3rd year jump. Chris is in his 4th year but in terms of basketball experience he is just making it over the 3 year hump of total games played. 

I think the kid has something worth taking a look at. 

Golden St. was the most stable situation he had ever been in and he had his best year. 

Guys like this and Cameron Payne just need to find a home and a system that fits. This dude is an upgrade over Powell athletically.
Like Reply
(12-21-2021, 03:35 AM)MrGoat Wrote:  This actually makes me like the addition more. This guy is straight up dirty. And that makes him a great addition to a team with not much going for it if everybody's out. And when an important player is ready to come back all they'll have to do is wait for Chriss to make a dirty play and slide back into the lineup after he gets tossed

I agree my only concern is why is he on the streets. 

Is there a maturity issue, etc? 

Guys like this are free agents for a reason so lets just hope he has figured things out.
Like Reply
I saw a quote from Cuban that they may have some hard decisions to make on the roster.  Maybe Cuban is getting ahead of himself, but even if potentially true, I think these next few games for Chriss are huge.    

Here are some of his college highlights as a freshman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8APYsfiCgk
Like Reply
(12-22-2021, 01:38 PM)cow Wrote: Dirk was asked about this in the past and his answer was simple and I'm paraphrasing, "Competing against someone is one thing but once they are on your team, all is forgiven."  There are extreme versions that might be an exception to this mindset (Rodman to the Bulls) but I don't think MC is anywhere near that level of animosity.

Wouldn't that prove what Dirk said, not be the exception to the mindset?  Yeah, in the beginning, Pippen hated him, but they got over it...that kind of is the point.
Like Reply
(12-23-2021, 09:52 AM)TXBamanut Wrote: Wouldn't that prove what Dirk said, not be the exception to the mindset?  Yeah, in the beginning, Pippen hated him, but they got over it...that kind of is the point.

Before Rodman joined the Bulls, Phil got Jordan, Pippen and Rodman together to hash things out.  There was some really bad blood between those three.  My point is that I don't think Luka, KP and Chriss have anywhere near that animosity towards one another.
Like Reply
Is it just me, or does Chriss bear a passing resemblance to Solid Gold?
Like Reply
(12-23-2021, 12:15 PM)cow Wrote: Before Rodman joined the Bulls, Phil got Jordan, Pippen and Rodman together to hash things out.  There was some really bad blood between those three.  My point is that I don't think Luka, KP and Chriss have anywhere near that animosity towards one another.

Chriss said that all that was just in the moment and he and Luka sat by each other at a game and talked. So they're best buds now.

In my early 20s I think I had some on court intensity with all my friends at some time or another. I guess that's just how outdoor, half court go.
Like Reply
(12-23-2021, 03:46 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Chriss said that all that was just in the moment and he and Luka sat by each other at a game and talked. So they're best buds now.

In my early 20s I think I had some on court intensity with all my friends at some time or another. I guess that's just how outdoor, half court go.

I remember this one time way back, I was actually a pretty easy going guy back in the playing days in high school, but very competitive on the court.  One of my good friends on the team was pretty much the same...he and I were going at each other in practice, it got hot and competitive and we got into it serious.  For the first time for both of us, we went after each other and people (players and coaches) had to separate us and hold us both back...not the fake hold back either like you see in the NBA, think more Isaiah Stewart than KG.  I think it shocked everyone.  After we got back sort of calmed down, the coach threw us out of the gym at different entrances and told us to walk it off...and then my friend gave me a ride home from practice.  lol  We never apologized, and never talked about it again.  Played at least another season together.

We're still friends today.  Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes TXBamanut's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(12-23-2021, 03:10 AM)Omega_Supreme Wrote: I agree my only concern is why is he on the streets. 

Is there a maturity issue, etc? 

Guys like this are free agents for a reason so lets just hope he has figured things out.

He was on the Warriors. After a season of him they decided to re sign him (technically they signed him to a partially guaranteed two year deal but it became fully guaranteed after the first season when they decided to keep him). But he broke his leg after two games the next season. We're the first team to sign him since.

With the context of a team like the Warriors being willing to keep this guy a second time after a full season of him I'm not particularly concerned that we found him in the G league.

Now that I've seen him play he's growing on me pretty quickly
Like Reply