Poll: How much do you like Dwight Powell?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
F**** that overpaid
38.78%
19 38.78%
Only love
24.49%
12 24.49%
Best player if all time
2.04%
1 2.04%
Pure Diamond
12.24%
6 12.24%
j0n!
22.45%
11 22.45%
Total 49 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Diamond Powell! All Things Dwight - Act V Broken Wings
(12-30-2022, 01:36 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/MavsPR/status/1608875098513244161

Eric Dampier "Can´t miss if you cannot catch it".
Like Reply
(12-30-2022, 01:42 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: He definitely has the best hands of all of those centers!

He does, when catching hot passes. 

But when those hands are tasked with controlling a rebound, they turn to stone. It's one of the most bizarre things I've encountered in all of my sports fandom. He gets his hands ON a TON of rebounds, both offensive and defensive, but seems to fumble most or try to swat them out to another player. For whatever reason, simply catching the ball and holding it for a second in that situation is either really difficult for him or something he has no interest in attempting.
Like Reply
I love Dwight's "suck it dougie" campaign this season.
[-] The following 2 users Like cow's post:
  • KillerLeft, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(12-30-2022, 01:49 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: He does, when catching hot passes. 

But when those hands are tasked with controlling a rebound, they turn to stone. It's one of the most bizarre things I've encountered in all of my sports fandom. He gets his hands ON a TON of rebounds, both offensive and defensive, but seems to fumble most or try to swat them out to another player. For whatever reason, simply catching the ball and holding it for a second in that situation is either really difficult for him or something he has no interest in attempting

Even a Diamond can have flaws...

I see that too. It frustrated me like hell 2 years ago. Now with his reduced role and fantastic offense, I'm more accepting of his flaws. 

Put it this way, seeing that list and remembering Eric Dampier and Diop, Powell looks like a franchise superstar.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
Congrats to the Powell fans. As of right now with no other moves being made yet, you can go ahead and pencil him in as the Day 1 starter!
Like Reply
as it stands right now, i am soooooooo pi...d about this signing.

ok to be fair it is not DP as a person, its more that he is a backup at best and should only get the min.
and most important DONT START... but thats up on kidd and cuban too.
Like Reply
(07-02-2023, 12:36 PM)Spin4177 Wrote: as it stands right now, i am soooooooo pi...d about this signing.

ok to be fair it is not DP as a person, its more that he is a backup at best and should only get the min.
and most important DONT START... but thats up on kidd and cuban too.

On the other hand…

He’s shown the capacity to be an effective starter on a high-level team.

…for $4m a year?

A huge win!
[-] The following 3 users Like DallasMaverick's post:
  • KillerLeft, mvossman, Reunion Mav
Like Reply
Dwight Powell being back is not the issue. He can be a great teammate and can produce when called upon. Hopefully not 20 minutes a night.

The bigger question is if Holmes can be productive in 25 minutes a night. He may not be needed for that much but if the answer is no then we are back to a rough spot next year. Per stein, it appears they think they need more at center. So they may give u their answer on Holmes.
Like Reply
Powell will be the best center on the team this season. Could be wrong, but I don’t think the trade for a high-priced center is coming. Personally, I don’t mind. Just make it work while you bring Lively along.

FORWARDS. This team needs forwards sooooo badly. At least 2, imo.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
In a vacuum, I don’t dislike Powell and Holmes. On offense, they both specialize in pick and roll, which is great with Luka. My problem with the center rotation is that Powell and Holmes offer ZERO rim protection.

While having bigs that can move their feet is more important in the modern NBA, something tells me our head coach values the traditional big that can block shots. They drafted Lively and gave McGee that ridiculous contract because both those guys are shot blockers.

While not the immediate priority, I think Mavs will continue to look for a better fit at Center with the THJ and Bullock trade chips. Perhaps into the season upto the trade deadline.

If the defense sucks, I expect quotes from Kidd this season about how they don’t have any interior rim protection.
Like Reply
(07-02-2023, 12:41 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: On the other hand…

He’s shown the capacity to be an effective starter on a high-level team.

…for $4m a year?

A huge win!

Good signing, but even back when we didn’t suck and miss the playins Powell was a non factor in the playoffs. That won’t change suddenly.

You can start him for yet another season bc of the front office‘s inability to bring in someone better (not Powell‘s fault) but you also can’t expect better results…

It‘s mind boggling to me how they continue to fail to bring in someone who can fix this need for all these years. Afterall they’ve been starting Powell for what now? 4-5 years?

You can’t be mad at Luka when he looks back at this one day and just decides it’s over for him here.
Like Reply
(07-02-2023, 02:16 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: In a vacuum, I don’t dislike Powell and Holmes. On offense, they both specialize in pick and roll, which is great with Luka.  My problem with the center rotation is that Powell and Holmes offer ZERO rim protection.

While having bigs that can move their feet is more important in the modern NBA, something tells me our head coach values the traditional big that can block shots. They drafted Lively and gave McGee that ridiculous contract because both those guys are shot blockers.

While not the immediate priority, I think Mavs will continue to look for a better fit at Center with the THJ and Bullock trade chips. Perhaps into the season upto the trade deadline.

If the defense sucks, I expect quotes from Kidd this season about how they don’t have any interior rim protection.
Stein
As much as it needs a wing defender, Dallas wants to acquire a clear-cut new starting center this summer. Recent trade bids for top choices Clint Capela (Atlanta) and Deandre Ayton (Phoenix) have fallen short and a third potential target — Minnesota's Naz Reid — signed a contract extension at the start of the week without even testing free agency.
As the roster currently stands, Powell and Richaun Holmes would likely be competing for the starting center spot so Dallas can bring prized rookie Dereck Lively II along slowly.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RoyTarpleysGhost's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
https://www.espn.com/nba/stats/player/_/...s/dir/desc look who is there ranked as # 165 in rebounds per game at 4.1 RPG.

So there are 164 guys in the NBA that get more rebounds in a game than Powell does and that tells you all you need to know about this guy and how much of a joke he is with rebounding.

Only 30 teams in the league so he does not do very well in terms of being an average center that gets 20 minutes of play time. He is beyond bad and sucks if you ask me so he has to have naked pictures of Cuban doing something highly inappropriate for him to still have a job.

Why did we bring this guy back? He needs to retire ASAP he is officially dragging the team down to a lower level and hurting the team with his poor performances and lousy defense and we can do way better with vet min guys that we would otherwise sign if he was gone. He is not needed and keeps us from adding someone younger that is more worthy and who could develop into a valuable asset to the team.

Can someone from catch a predator please help expose him so we can be rid of this parasite and offer his roster spot to someone much more deserving.

LOL he must have some incredible stories about Mark for him to be kept around all this time.
Like Reply
He doesn’t mention the source of this text, but it feels like Stein’s substack. Can someone who subscribes confirm or deny?

https://twitter.com/biasedslightly/status/1676048202523353089?s=46&t=H4cw_agenqX9eM1L3b6auw
Like Reply
(07-04-2023, 07:36 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: He doesn’t mention the source of this text, but it feels like Stein’s substack. Can someone who subscribes confirm or deny?

https://twitter.com/biasedslightly/status/1676048202523353089?s=46&t=H4cw_agenqX9eM1L3b6auw

Yes, this is from Stein. Houston was offering higher one year number (same as with that Ausie, just one year guaranteed), while Mavs offered a higher multiyear number. I guess Powell also appreciates stability.
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
(07-04-2023, 08:04 AM)omahen Wrote: Yes, this is from Stein. Houston was offering higher one year number (same as with that Ausie, just one year guaranteed), while Mavs offered a higher multiyear number. I guess Powell also appreciates stability.

Are you sure it was for only one year?
Like Reply
(07-04-2023, 08:10 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Are you sure it was for only one year?

It seems like. Same contract structure as Landale, only even higher first year. Honestly, I don't care a lot. THJ also allegedly turned down better offers to stay in Dallas, yet Mavs can't unload his deal for 2 years now Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply
Has anyone explained how Powell’s contract doesn’t compromise the MLE as it says on that message?
Like Reply
(07-04-2023, 09:15 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Has anyone explained how Powell’s contract doesn’t compromise the MLE as it says on that message?

Mavs just need to stay below 172.3 overall team salaries (and have 12 mil below that so 160) in order to use the full MLE. 

Current team salaries that include both Lively+OMax, and all current FA signings: 160,353,630

Full MLE is 12.6. Current MLE space: 11.9. So Powell's deal does technically compromise the full MLE space, but obviously they aren't done making moves, and it's relatively simple to get 700k more space (although they'll probably need to shed at least McGee+THJ).
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • Reunion Mav
Like Reply
They really offered this dude 3x to go hold down the locker room for a year and he’s still here. I am cursed.
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply