Poll: How much do you like Dwight Powell?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
F**** that overpaid
38.78%
19 38.78%
Only love
24.49%
12 24.49%
Best player if all time
2.04%
1 2.04%
Pure Diamond
12.24%
6 12.24%
j0n!
22.45%
11 22.45%
Total 49 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Diamond Powell! All Things Dwight - Act V Broken Wings
https://twitter.com/SacramentoKings/stat...3517032449

I want to like him but plays like this make it really hard. I love what he does on offense but the Mavs could put in JJB instead of him and wouldn´t lose any interior defense.
Like Reply
Tough decision. I think Powell is a great finisher at the rim, great team guy and knows the Mavs system really well.

But then, you have to think about the potential playoff match-up against AD, or Jokic and even Harrell. These guys know how to abuse Powell in the paint.

Teams will want to attack him (and Luka and THJ) in the playoffs. That's three starters that will be challenged defensively big time.

I think FO should look at why the Raps traded for Marc Gasol last year. That trade was made to prepare for Embiid and Lopez.
Like Reply
(01-16-2020, 09:31 AM)fifteenth Wrote: And he's not getting 6, 7, 9, 10, 11 lob dunks per game. He's finishing around the rim in lots of different ways.

Powell appears to have added a new weapon to his offensive arsenal.

In past seasons, I only remember seeing him put it on the floor and drive maybe once every half dozen games or so. 

Over the past few weeks, he's started to do that 4 or 5 times a game. The first couple of times I saw it, I cringed. I was like "Oh no, here comes a turnover".

But it wasn't. And he's converted on most of them. He'll probably never be an average 3 point shooter. But he has a variety of ways he can score, and his ability to set picks and rim  rolling are a big part of why our offense is so efficient.
Like Reply
(01-16-2020, 10:47 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Mavs could put in JJB instead of him and wouldn´t lose any interior defense

I think JJB might struggle rolling to and finishing at the basket
Like Reply
(01-17-2020, 10:10 AM)fifteenth Wrote:
(01-16-2020, 10:47 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Mavs could put in JJB instead of him and wouldn´t lose any interior defense

I think JJB might struggle rolling to and finishing at the basket

I am not questioning his offense. He is incredible. We just need to figure out why he can use his body to finish through contact but cannot use the same body on defense.
Him getting bullied by bigman isn´t new but recently he gets pushed around by guards and wings.
And it is not only about the lack of strength. It´s about the lack of balance and positioning. Those are things that make him a good offensive player but on defense he lacks both. It feels like even a small bump from a driving guard or wing sends him flying.
I don´t know the reason. The only thing that I can point out is a high center of gravity combined with a short wingspan.
Like Reply
(01-17-2020, 07:19 AM)embellisher Wrote:
(01-16-2020, 09:31 AM)fifteenth Wrote: And he's not getting 6, 7, 9, 10, 11 lob dunks per game. He's finishing around the rim in lots of different ways.

Powell appears to have added a new weapon to his offensive arsenal.

In past seasons, I only remember seeing him put it on the floor and drive maybe once every half dozen games or so.

Over the past few weeks, he's started to do that 4 or 5 times a game. The first couple of times I saw it, I cringed. I was like "Oh no, here comes a turnover".

But it wasn't. And he's converted on most of them. He'll probably never be an average 3 point shooter. But he has a variety of ways he can score, and his ability to set picks and rim rolling are a big part of why our offense is so efficient.

There is no doubt that Powell has become a very impressive all-around offensive player - if you ignore the existence of 3-pointers.
Like Reply
(01-17-2020, 11:56 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: There is no doubt that Powell has become a very impressive all-around offensive player - if you ignore the existence of 3-pointers.

Over the last 7 games he's shooting 81.5%

If he didn't add any free throws or made threes in there he's still getting 1.63 points per shot

If he shot 40% from three he'd get 1.2 points per shot from those shots

If he was a great 3 point shooter, and took more 3s, it might make him worse on offense!!!
Like Reply
Powell is playing great, especially on offense. If we could get our team defense to play all game the way we play in the 3rd quarter, the Mavs would be a top contender.

One word of caution on Powell is that he has had two friendly matchups that really had no interior defensive presence or shot-blocking the last couple of games.

I would anticipate a strong offensive showing overall for Powell in the 2nd half of the season. It is a relief considering how slow he got out of the gates this year. He was missing all kinds of bunnies near the basket and just looking out of sorts. Those games are but distant memories at this point. I really love it when Powell puts the ball on the floor. He is really hard to handle in those situations.
Like Reply
I have to concede that the past three games or so are the absolute best that Powell has ever looked. Build from here, young man! If he does that, his contract is no longer a burden, let alone an albatross, but at least fair.
Like Reply
#8  https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2848...well-dance
Like Reply
(01-17-2020, 02:35 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: I have to concede that the past three games or so are the absolute best that Powell has ever looked. Build from here, young man! If he does that, his contract is no longer a burden, let alone an albatross, but at least fair.

Powell does this to us every year. He starts off slow then catches fire later on. I still am frustrated he gives you no rim protection whatsoever. He will have his role here though I think for years to come.
Like Reply
https://media.giphy.com/media/PPkHzamLu4.../giphy.gif
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
[-] The following 1 user Likes ClutchDirk's post:
  • Jommybone
Like Reply
This preseason, Dwight is shooting 9/11 from the field, 2/3 from deep, and 3/3 from the line. He’s also pulled down 11 boards in only 34 minutes, committed just 3 fouls and turned it over once.
[-] The following 2 users Like Jommybone's post:
  • ClutchDirk, fifteenth
Like Reply
(10-14-2021, 10:14 PM)Jommybone Wrote: This preseason, Dwight is shooting 9/11 from the field, 2/3 from deep, and 3/3 from the line. He’s also pulled down 11 boards in only 34 minutes, committed just 3 fouls and turned it over once.

I wouldn't expect Powell to be a high usage three point shooter but in his preseason attempts, he looks much more comfortable shooting the three.   It looks like he has slowed down a little on his form.   He has also not hesitated and took the shot.  Again, I doubt we will see many attempts and he probably will not shoot them at a high percentage, but his shot looked better than previous years.
Like Reply
(10-15-2021, 07:40 AM)Chicagojk Wrote:  I wouldn't expect Powell to be a high usage three point shooter but in his preseason attempts, he looks much more comfortable shooting the three.   It looks like he has slowed down a little on his form.   He has also not hesitated and took the shot.  Again, I doubt we will see many attempts and he probably will not shoot them at a high percentage, but his shot looked better than previous years.

I was pretty frustrated with Powell for not pulling the trigger last year.  Defenders were just giving him space.
Like Reply
https://youtu.be/JyHFPV-j8Gs
[-] The following 3 users Like Mak's post:
  • ClutchDirk, DanSchwartzgan, Mavsfan12
Like Reply
(10-16-2021, 01:38 PM)Mak Wrote: https://youtu.be/JyHFPV-j8Gs

My man...
Like Reply
Powell shot a preseason TS% of 91% (it may not last). Though he was a .688 TS% last season while recovering from injury.  His Net Rating in the pre-season was 36.  And, his 3% was .667 on 4.7 attempts per 36.

Of course, you have to take some bad with the good.  Powell’s rebounds per 36 ranked 9th on the team.
Like Reply
(10-17-2021, 07:57 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Powell shot a preseason TS% of 91% (it may not last). Though he was a .688 TS% last season while recovering from injury.  His Net Rating in the pre-season was 36.  And, his 3% was .667 on 4.7 attempts per 36.

Of course, you have to take some bad with the good.  Powell’s rebounds per 36 ranked 9th on the team.

He's an efficiency monster and may have pulled his 3 pt shot up to the level of the rest of his offense! 

If he plays like that, and KP also shoots well closer to the basket,  then my silly questions about how KP and DP play together in a new scheme are moot.

Regarding DPs lack of rebounding,  Luka says "I got it".
Like Reply
(10-17-2021, 11:35 AM)fifteenth Wrote: Regard DPs lack of rebounding,  Luka says "I got it".

So, Powell is polite.  I can get on board with that Smile
Like Reply