Poll: How much do you like Dwight Powell?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
F**** that overpaid
38.78%
19 38.78%
Only love
24.49%
12 24.49%
Best player if all time
2.04%
1 2.04%
Pure Diamond
12.24%
6 12.24%
j0n!
22.45%
11 22.45%
Total 49 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Diamond Powell! All Things Dwight - Act V Broken Wings
Powell is coming back from injury.

.S. Curry, .D. Powell, .D. Finney-Smith, .M. Kleber, .L. Doncic

Third best lineup in the league with at least 10 minutes played @ +84

Third best Mavs lineup 

.T. Hardaway Jr., .D. Powell, .D. Wright, .M. Kleber, .L. Doncic

Fourth best Mavs lineup

.T. Hardaway Jr., .D. Powell, .K. Porzingis, .D. Wright, .J. Brunson

Interesting funny tidbit: 4 best 2man lineups of Mavs all include Boban.
Like Reply
(11-19-2019, 02:49 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote: Powell is coming back from injury.

.S. Curry, .D. Powell, .D. Finney-Smith, .M. Kleber, .L. Doncic

Third best lineup in the league with at least 10 minutes played @ +84

Third best Mavs lineup 

.T. Hardaway Jr., .D. Powell, .D. Wright, .M. Kleber, .L. Doncic

Fourth best Mavs lineup

.T. Hardaway Jr., .D. Powell, .K. Porzingis, .D. Wright, .J. Brunson

Interesting funny tidbit: 4 best 2man lineups of Mavs all include Boban.

I think the first lineup is a mirage because its more about the other 4 guys than Powell. You can watch him out there with the starters and he just isn't making an impact. I am not surprised he does better with the bench units, that's really where he needs to be.
Like Reply
Good game, good zone defense.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/bobbykaralla/status/...3392431104

https://twitter.com/bobbykaralla/status/...4556624897

https://twitter.com/bobbykaralla/status/...2737555459
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
Damn Bobby Karalla came through with the heat and settled down the crowd of angry protesters!

Somehow I do not believe his tweets are going reach everyone lol.

Great to see Dwight have a really good game yesterday. He's been trying to figure things out. JJ couldn't finish the floater like Luka and stayed a step or deep from getting in as deep into the paint as Luka and thus Dwight got way more lobs resulting in way more points. I think if DP was averaging 10 more a game in his first 15 we wouldn't have been so hard on him as a fan base.

Now the thing we weren't accounting for was how he has been a HUGE reason Luka is able to get so deep in the paint and get those easy floaters he tends to shoot in more than Lob off. So DP is a large part of Luka's success in what he's been able to accomplish this season. That even slipped my observations while watching. It looked as if he was doing it all by himself.

I'm ashamed that I forgot how much having a rim rolling threat and good 3 point shooters around you added to being able to finish magically at the rim and shoot a threatening percentage from deep can make you impossible to stop. We give Luka all the credit for his success and which he does deserve most of it but without having Powell/Kleiber/KP for the rim roll and Seth/Finny/THJ/KP/Kleiber to spread the floor cause they can hit 3s the floor would close on him forcing to be more like last year and settle for the deep step back 3. He has so much more room this year and he can keep defenders honest with the cast put around him.

MBT did a great job this off season with what was left after all the Big names were off the table.
Like Reply
What percentage would you all give pick and roll offense in relation to all other aspects of NBA basketball?
Like Reply
Powell had a great game against the Lakers, hope to see him build on that now going forward.

That being said he is still a guy you've got to get out of the starting lineup. Thaddeus Young is one guy you can probably get for cheap. Bulls are mishandling him all the way around. In Rick's system Young would be shooting 60% in the Powell role. Mavs will have a lot of options at the trade deadline, I can't see this team standing pat. The Lee expiring contract is a great asset + 2nds including that GS 2nd as well as good cheap young players.
Like Reply
(12-02-2019, 07:46 PM)Benskix2 Wrote: What percentage would you all give pick and roll offense in relation to all other aspects of NBA basketball?

In a Rick Carlisle offense? 95%.  Big Grin
Like Reply
(12-02-2019, 09:45 PM)Luka_Magic Wrote:
(12-02-2019, 07:46 PM)Benskix2 Wrote: What percentage would you all give pick and roll offense in relation to all other aspects of NBA basketball?

In a Rick Carlisle offense? 95%.  Big Grin

Ball screens are HIGHLY featured in RC's Flow offense, which is what they run most of the time.  It is a fun, random, offensive system that relies on principles rather than specific play calls - making it harder to defend because the defense doesn't know specifically what is coming next!

A good article from the DMN:

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/mavericks/2019/10/19/back-in-the-flow-why-luka-doncic-may-be-the-key-to-rekindling-mavs-coach-rick-carlisles-offensive-magic/
Like Reply
(12-02-2019, 08:08 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Powell had a great game against the Lakers, hope to see him build on that now going forward.

That being said he is still a guy you've got to get out of the starting lineup.  

All the data posted above says just the opposite.  Powell is a huge part of why the offense works.  I get that he's under his career average in every single box score metric.  But the team is absolutely killing it with him on the floor.  The Powell-Luka-KP combo has a net rating of 9.8.  It is 4.8 for Luka and KP.  It is 16.0 for Powell and Luka and 12 for Powell and KP.  You remove Powell from the starting lineup at great peril to the offense unless you think it is easy to find the number one ball screener in the league.
Like Reply
(12-03-2019, 07:10 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote:
(12-02-2019, 08:08 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Powell had a great game against the Lakers, hope to see him build on that now going forward.

All the data posted above says just the opposite.  Powell is a huge part of why the offense works.  I get that he's under his career average in every single box score metric.  But the team is absolutely killing it with him on the floor.  The Powell-Luka-KP combo has a net rating of 9.8.  It is 4.8 for Luka and KP.  It is 16.0 for Powell and Luka and 12 for Powell and KP.  You remove Powell from the starting lineup at great peril to the offense unless you think it is easy to find the number on ball screener in the league.
But we need someone who can get more than 4.6 rebounds because that is unacceptable...oh wait the Mavs are 4th in rebounds...nevermind...

Powell is only scoring 7.7 points a game...for 10 million we must get more production out of him...oh wait we have the best offense in history...nevermind...

We need more good perimeter shooters around Luka...Powell can't hit a 3 to save his life...oh wait he is converting them at a respectable 36.4% which is 3% better than his previous best year...nevermind...

He gets exposed as a defender which negates his offensive contribution...oh wait he is at 118.9 offensive rating and 108.5 defensive rating for a + 10.4 net rating...nevermind...

From a Ringer article: Carlisle has settled on the same unit over the last six: Doncic, Porzingis, Dwight Powell, Dorian Finney-Smith, and Tim Hardaway Jr. That group has an eye-popping net rating of plus-24.3 in 88 minutes, the best among all lineups in the NBA that have played at least 80 minutes this season.

https://media.giphy.com/media/ScmA88oVeD.../giphy.gif
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(12-03-2019, 08:36 AM)ClutchDirk Wrote:
(12-03-2019, 07:10 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote:

All the data posted above says just the opposite.  Powell is a huge part of why the offense works.  I get that he's under his career average in every single box score metric.  But the team is absolutely killing it with him on the floor.  The Powell-Luka-KP combo has a net rating of 9.8.  It is 4.8 for Luka and KP.  It is 16.0 for Powell and Luka and 12 for Powell and KP.  You remove Powell from the starting lineup at great peril to the offense unless you think it is easy to find the number on ball screener in the league.
But we need someone who can get more than 4.6 rebounds because that is unacceptable...oh wait the Mavs are 4th in rebounds...nevermind...

Powell is only scoring 7.7 points a game...for 10 million we must get more production out of him...oh wait we have the best offense in history...nevermind...

We need more good perimeter shooters around Luka...Powell can't hit a 3 to save his life...oh wait he is converting them at a respectable 36.4% which is 3% better than his previous best year...nevermind...

He gets exposed as a defender which negates his offensive contribution...oh wait he is at 118.9 offensive rating and 108.5 defensive rating for a + 10.4 net rating...nevermind...

From a Ringer article: Carlisle has settled on the same unit over the last six: Doncic, Porzingis, Dwight Powell, Dorian Finney-Smith, and Tim Hardaway Jr. That group has an eye-popping net rating of plus-24.3 in 88 minutes, the best among all lineups in the NBA that have played at least 80 minutes this season.

https://media.giphy.com/media/ScmA88oVeD.../giphy.gif

You think maybe Powell is getting carried by the rest of the starting unit? He draws a lot of tough assignments admittedly but he also gets lit up most nights. He is pretty good as a team defender moving his feet in his rotations but on-ball defense is not good. Name you talented PF starter (Love, Aldridge) and they can take Powell on the block pretty easily just shooting over him.

Offensively is where he is likely to improve the most because he is a good offensive player. I would expect him to average more like 10 ppg once he gets going. His rebounding sucks, I don't care if the team is rebounding better. It's a team effort for sure but he just not have a knack for rebounding, especially offensively. I do think he does better with offensive rebounds when he tries to tip out the ball to mid-court rather than grabbing the rebound. In the Lakers game he was able to do that successfully. He shoots like one 3 a game so not sure the stats matter a whole lot there, it's nice when they go in but it doesn't really impact the game. His defender is never going to come out all the way to the 3 line so it's not like his 3 ball adds spacing.

I have said this a million times, Powell's best role is off the bench where he is not getting exposed by starting PF's that take his lunch money. I'd much rather have Maxi in that spot for now unless and until we get an upgrade like a Favors type that can play better defense and rebound.
Like Reply
Not convinced by Powells +/-. He missed the first few games of the season (all close) and was +41 vs GS.
Right now he ranks in the 31th percentille among pick and roll players. Last season he was in the 90th percentille. He is scoring less, drawing less fouls and turning the ball over more than he did last year.
The game against the Lakers was the first one this season where I saw the "old" Powell that is able to catch and finish in traffic. That´s the player the Mavs need and signed to a reasonable contract in the summer. Really hope that he can build on that performance.

His defense will always be a problem. That´s why the Mavs have Kleber who can play 30+ minutes on a given night.
Like Reply
I do expect Powell to play better because he has shown us he is a good rim-roller and is not necessarily prone to a lot of turnovers. For the regular season I am not too concerned but if we ever want to go deep in the playoffs you have to be able to defend because baskets are a lot harder to get on offense. You don't want to give up relatively easy shots to Jokic or Towns in the playoffs. Maybe by then Rick will go with Maxi in those situations or we might have some new players (I expect we will have at least 1-2 new players by then).
Like Reply
DP for the Dirkie!!!! Dude has been playing his ass off the last few games! Let's hope he keeps it up!
Like Reply
Great game by Diamond Powell last night, one of the best of his career. He is too good offensively to be putting up 2, 3, 4, 6 point games at 25 minutes a night. I hope eventually he can be a very efficient 12 ppg guy, mixing in a couple of assists and maybe just maybe grabbing some rebounds along the way. The Luka, DP PnR is absolutely devastating.
Like Reply
Update on Powell - on track to play Saturday!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIZXMg3wy5Y
Like Reply
I think speed is an underrated skill in the NBA. Interestingly, among NBA centers averaging more than 25 MIN, Powell ranks second in speed, behind only Jaren Jackson Jr. 

https://stats.nba.com/players/speed-distance/?Season=2019-20&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&PlayerPosition=C&sort=AVG_SPEED&dir=1

I think folks should keep that in mind when proposing deals that might net the Mavs a big lumbering center. Powell’s speed likely has something to do with the Mavs boasting the highest rated offense in league history.
Like Reply
DP seems to hit his stride at some point each season where things start to click for him. I think it's happened this season.

Field Goals the last 7 games:

5 of 7
6 of 6
6 of 7
2 of 4
8 of 11
9 of 9
8 of 10

That's 44 of 54 for 81.5% shooting. 

And he's not getting 6, 7, 9, 10, 11 lob dunks per game. He's finishing around the rim in lots of different ways.
Like Reply
Yeah I'd like it if he had a little more bulk to him but he has been far from our biggest weakness. 
Just say no to a Drummond downgrade trade
Like Reply