Poll: How much do you like Dwight Powell?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
F**** that overpaid
38.78%
19 38.78%
Only love
24.49%
12 24.49%
Best player if all time
2.04%
1 2.04%
Pure Diamond
12.24%
6 12.24%
j0n!
22.45%
11 22.45%
Total 49 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Diamond Powell! All Things Dwight - Act V Broken Wings
On pace to overtake JJB for 5th all time in games played this season. His jersey will be hanging from the rafters when it is all said and done.
Like Reply
(07-04-2023, 01:00 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote:  His jersey will be hanging from the rafters when it is all said and done.

Hopefully, not while wearing the jersey.
Like Reply
(07-02-2023, 02:16 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: In a vacuum, I don’t dislike Powell and Holmes. On offense, they both specialize in pick and roll, which is great with Luka.  My problem with the center rotation is that Powell and Holmes offer ZERO rim protection.

While having bigs that can move their feet is more important in the modern NBA, something tells me our head coach values the traditional big that can block shots. They drafted Lively and gave McGee that ridiculous contract because both those guys are shot blockers.

While not the immediate priority, I think Mavs will continue to look for a better fit at Center with the THJ and Bullock trade chips. Perhaps into the season upto the trade deadline.

If the defense sucks, I expect quotes from Kidd this season about how they don’t have any interior rim protection.

Holmes is actually a decent rim protector.  He averages almost 2 blocks per 36 for his career.  And Lively is probably going to be an elite rim protector right out of the gate.  Guys with his college dominance at the rim tend to show that early in the NBA.

I think instead of focusing any more assets on center, the real plan should be do everything we can to upgrade the 4.  That potentially allows Maxi to play more at the 5 and he is decent rim protector as well.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
PJ rumors have me excited and if that can happen with just THJ then worst case we are stuck with Bullock Holmes and McGee and that is not all that bad but I hope we can find homes for those guys as well. We need to add a center still and we could have done that had we not taken on Powell for 3 more years. As long as it doesn't hurt the team by keeping us from taking on a real center I won't mind if we have Powell.

PG - Luka
SG - Kyrie
SF - Thybulle
PF - Washington
C - See list of center prospects
Kleber
Curry
Hardy
Holmes
Lively
Powell
Omax
Exum
Green

Center Prospects: Zubac, Bamba, Valanciunas, Yurtseven, maybe a few others but we need Lively and the main center to both play most of the minutes and few if any minutes ever going to Powell.
Like Reply
For those of you who think that Dwight Powell has been criminally overpaid for the last few years...

DON'T LOOK

Dwight's insistence on getting 800k per year and 3 years has hit the Mavs right in the assets.

According to Cap Sheets the Thybulle offer starting at $10.4 million has Dallas $2.13 million across the Apron:
Had Dallas been able to retain Powell on a 2 year veteran minimum contract his salary for this year would have been $2.906 million (instead of $3.704). On top of that the minimum salary would have been credited to Dallas' cap/tax hit as $2.02 million with a savings of slightly more than $1.7 million at present.

I like Powell and am truly glad he is on the team but he could have really helped out the Summer of Nico with a team friendly deal.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SkenfromLMF's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply