Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.17 Average
2022 NBA Draft: #37 Jaden Hardy (6' 3", 6' 9" WS) to DAL | two 2nds to SAC
(07-06-2022, 10:10 AM)Moviemavguy Wrote: I don't know where people are getting this Hardy isn't a good athlete stuff from.

1) From watching him play. Not explosive like an NBA athlete.

2) Here is a visual for you of his vertical....

[Image: jaden-hardy-of-team-ignite-does-the-vert...=2048x2048]

Here are some others for comparison...

[Image: USATSI_12716892.jpg]
[Image: i?img=%2Fmedia%2Fmotion%2F2018%2F0811%2F...r_Hops.jpg]
[Image: Zion-Williamson-measuring-max-vertical-a...f-jump.jpg]
Like Reply
(07-06-2022, 10:10 AM)Moviemavguy Wrote: I don't know where people are getting this Hardy isn't a good athlete stuff from.  He's not Lebron, but I definitely think he is above average.  And if we could hide Brunson on defense, then Hardy shouldn't be an issue long term.  He certainly has the physical tools that Brunson just didn't have.  Hardy is a missile on offense, and if you can shoot and score, then you'll always have a place in the NBA.  

What puzzles me is how ignite teammate Dyson Daniels goes 8 but Hardy falls to 37?  Daniels can't shoot to save his life, but because he is a bit taller with a little more defensive potential?  It's not that I don't think Hardy has issues, but the draft is often puzzling to me.  Like Sharpe just got rewarded for not even playing in college.  Hardy got punished for going to the G league in a way that makes little sense.

When I saw highlights earlier in the year, I thought Daniels was the best player on that team.   I think he is just an easier fit in the NBA.  He is big (even grew some this year), Can play off the ball, and appears to be a pretty smart player.   He just seems like a guy who at the low end can be a 12 point a game guy who does a lot of stat stuffing stuff while not needing the ball a ton.    If he improves as a open shooter, he will be much more valuable.
Like Reply
(07-06-2022, 09:20 AM)Dundalis Wrote: He's not seeing a minute without showing he can be 10x the defender he was in the G League though (which is prob still not a good defender). So really it's fingers crossed his defensive issues were something other than not having the athletic tools, a low motor or being clueless awareness wise. No matter his huge offensive potential, his defense could prevent him from developing his game properly with his team until he gets traded to a bad team that can actually afford to play him and let him work out the kinks. A hell of a lot rides on what he can do defensively IMO.

This right here is why I was surprised he wasn't a two way contract. His defense is not NBA ready and he looks like he needs more time to work some things out before he's really playable. He's got decent length but his lack of lateral quickness really makes it to where he can't afford to make mistakes on defense like he does
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/mavsmoneyball/status...9175279616
Like Reply
What i see is
- Mavs need back up pg for Luka. Mavs lose the only serious back up pg for Luka, for nothing, Knicks
- Mavs need to keep Luka in good mood. Mavs trade Luka best friend for almost nothing
- mavs need serious vet player - Mavs sign Kein Wert, sorry La Vert
- mavs need third back up pg - mavs decline vet pg at vets minimum, who is by the way Luka friend
- all other teams fill their need with planned acquisitions - if they need pg, they sign pg, if center, center. Mavs sing haphazardly some unknown wing and is boasting about summer team?
- all in all, mavs signed only one deal worth mentioning, and are expecting to be contender. Luka is probably  expected to play 60 minutes per game, with one minute break, while they probably  plan his back up for season 2028/9. And another star in 2032, when Luka will retire.
- i am confused about GM and front office policy
Like Reply
(07-06-2022, 10:10 AM)Moviemavguy Wrote: I don't know where people are getting this Hardy isn't a good athlete stuff from.  He's not Lebron, but I definitely think he is above average.  And if we could hide Brunson on defense, then Hardy shouldn't be an issue long term.  He certainly has the physical tools that Brunson just didn't have.  Hardy is a missile on offense, and if you can shoot and score, then you'll always have a place in the NBA.  

What puzzles me is how ignite teammate Dyson Daniels goes 8 but Hardy falls to 37?  Daniels can't shoot to save his life, but because he is a bit taller with a little more defensive potential?  It's not that I don't think Hardy has issues, but the draft is often puzzling to me.  Like Sharpe just got rewarded for not even playing in college.  Hardy got punished for going to the G league in a way that makes little sense.

From what I have seen from them both, Hardy has great potential as an excellent shooter.  But Daniels shot the 3 at a higher percentage than Hardy did last season.  Not nearly as high volume, but he shot around 35%.   I am excited to see Hardy grow as a spot up shooter next season, gain confidence and comfort in the NBA and bloom into Bradley Beal-lite.  Here's my take though - Beal did a lot of spot up shooting earlier in his career.  He creates most of his shots now and his efficiency has suffered.  I also think Beal is a better athlete and has made more of an impact off drives later in his career.  I think he is a solid comp though.  I don't think Hardy is a bad athlete.  I DO think he plays below his athletic ability.  Low motor?  But he has explosion at times - just doesn't play with force as much as you'd expect.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/nbagleague/status/15...05250?s=46&t=LWGlPed9jOdBkCSzINuNNg
Like Reply
I am strongly confident that if he gets 30 minutes in NBA games that he will average at least 20 points per game.  He is not ready yet as he needs to become more efficient.

The biggest question though is if he develops the rest of his game that allows him to get on the court and stay on the court.   I am not as confident in this.   Very nice gamble to take on a kid with his talent though.
Like Reply
(06-10-2022, 05:46 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: Two years ago I told the board we needed to draft Bane.

Many years ago, I was the first to inform the board that Dwight Powell is terrible.

Now I am telling you that we should get Jalen Williams if possible.

Another dub for me boys
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply
(03-09-2023, 06:50 AM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: Another dub for me boys

That Jalen Williams call was a home run holy crap.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • IamDougieFresh, KillerLeft
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/nba_university/statu...44938?s=46&t=-lW3MUk_hy_SiUq46U-6RA
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply