Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bullock Bust Watch
(11-19-2021, 04:46 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: If Caruso had come here he’d become the same player the other two have. It’s the team, not the players!!! We are cursed to not have another superstar OR a third high end playmaker!

Hard disagree.  Caruso isn't a superstar or third high end playmakers but he's an amazing role player off the bench who brings a high motor and basketball IQ.  Good things happen when he's on the floor.  He proved it with the Lakers and now the Bulls.
Like Reply
(11-19-2021, 05:24 PM)cow Wrote: Hard disagree.  Caruso isn't a superstar or third high end playmakers but he's an amazing role player off the bench who brings a high motor and basketball IQ.  Good things happen when he's on the floor.  He proved it with the Lakers and now the Bulls.
Sorry, I should have put a smiley face on that post, or something to indicate it was a joke.
Like Reply
I am not worried about Bullock, YET. New team, system, role, small sample size, etc. 

Last year with the Knicks, he also had a slow start shooting 39% FG, and 35% from 3 in the first 15 games; then shot 46% and 42% respectively the remaining 50 games. Keep in mind he played more way more minutes with the Knicks plus more shot attempts too.

IMO, I think Bullock should be starting or at least be getting 25-28 minutes/game to get more into a groove. It is a joke he plays less than Dwight freakin' Powell but I digress. His defense has been good, seems to have gone unnoticed on here.

Believe in Bullock.
[-] The following 3 users Like Fuerza1's post:
  • Arioch, Kammrath, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(11-19-2021, 06:29 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Sorry, I should have put a smiley face on that post, or something to indicate it was a joke.

Damn youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply
Love the debate. Agree it’s early. But this is what the road to bust looks like. Two things worry me that small sample size isn’t the explanation:

1. Contract year. Maybe last year’s motivation ain’t never coming back?

2. Playing time. Even the coaches, who see lots of practice mins from him, haven’t used him like a prized signing. They’ve seen how he practices and adjudged him not a starter. Not a 6th man. Not really looking like a 7th man either. 

Lots of time to turn it around. But no need to act like the direction it’s heading is anything other than awful.
[-] The following 2 users Like Jommybone's post:
  • KillerLeft, Paul Gasol
Like Reply
(11-19-2021, 07:52 PM)Jommybone Wrote: Love the debate. Agree it’s early. But this is what the road to bust looks like. Two things worry me that small sample size isn’t the explanation:

1. Contract year. Maybe last year’s motivation ain’t never coming back?

2. Playing time. Even the coaches, who see lots of practice mins from him, haven’t used him like a prized signing. They’ve seen how he practices and adjudged him not a starter. Not a 6th man. Not really looking like a 7th man either. 

Lots of time to turn it around. But no need to act like the direction it’s heading is anything other than awful.

These are valid points. I think the difference in how Bullock's start is viewed boils down to this:

1) Some people saw that he was the biggest signing of the summer and assumed that meant the Mavs believed he would be a starter and a difference maker. Their belief that there were other options at MLE money who WOULD'VE moved the needle this way (maybe they're right) prompts them to hold Bullock to that standard. Anything less equals disappointment. 

2) Others thought he was a decent player signing on to play a slightly smaller role for a slightly better team (but one with far, far more upside), and that the MLE was simply the cost of winning a player the Mavs thought would fit well into their plans, regardless of his role. 

I don't mean to claim that either of those groups is more "correct" than the other. Those who feel the use of the MLE was a missed opportunity for a more needed/better player might very well have a legitimate complaint. I'm just pointing out that it's very possible that the Mavs don't view Bullock earning a high-minute role as the measuring stick of value in his case. It's possible that he's playing exactly the role/minutes they envisioned when signing him. Personally, I think the only way MLE money can be viewed as a negative in this conversation is when other players we think (but don't know) could've been had at a near or identical price are used comparatively. There's nothing about "he's making the MLE" that makes me assume he's gong to be a top-6 guy on any team in a vacuum. 

Then again, maybe he will be a high minute, closing type more often as the season goes. 

One thing I'm sure we can all find common ground on is that he needs to start converting on those catch-and-shoot opportunities. I believe he will, personally.
Like Reply
They need to stop the obsession with prioritizing all these one-dimensional 3 and D players. Wes Matthews, their lovefest with Danny Green, trading for J-Rich, making Bullock and Brown their prized free agents. Just bring in basketball players first and foremost...I don't care about how good their catch and shoot stats are. Ntilikina has never been known as a good shooter but he is an all-around player that can contribute in multiple ways. And you're seeing him be productive this season because he is not just a one-dimensional guard that relies heavily on his shooting.
[-] The following 4 users Like SwisherPrice's post:
  • BasketballJones41, KillerLeft, michaeltex, Paul Gasol
Like Reply
(11-20-2021, 12:48 AM)SwisherPrice Wrote: They need to stop the obsession with prioritizing all these one-dimensional 3 and D players. Wes Matthews, their lovefest with Danny Green, trading for J-Rich, making Bullock and Brown their prized free agents. Just bring in basketball players first and foremost...I don't care about how good their catch and shoot stats are. Ntilikina has never been known as a good shooter but he is an all-around player that can contribute in multiple ways. And you're seeing him be productive this season because he is not just a one-dimensional guard that relies heavily on his shooting.

Well, I'm not sure I totally agree...BUT, it is confusing that they brought in Luka-complementary players right before they made the offense less Luka-centric. I suppose in theory they should help give KP more space, too, but they haven't really found a way to make it work for those extended free throw catches yet. 

I would feel really bad about where things are if I hadn't seen that Luka/KP two-man game with three shooters in the last couple of 4th quarters right before he got hurt. I have a good feeling about where that's headed. 

I STILL think Bullock will be fine, at some point, although man was he hot garbage tonight!

KP's pick and roll defense? Still worried about that, despite some of the things that are starting to go well for him.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • michaeltex, Paul Gasol
Like Reply
He just needs to hit open shots more consistently.   I have very little confidence when he gets an open shot.   I feel like he has made more difficult shots more than the wide open ones.   If that comes, I think he will be fine.  With that being said, I just feel like we are missing something with both DFS and Bullock.  Not sure having both long term works.  Unless they find a PF type who can really do it all.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
That line-drive shot of his is very questionable.

Did you see the shot last night where I dont think the entire ball ever completely got over the height of the rim...the top of the ball skimmed the under side of the rim.   One of the ugliest shots Ive ever seen...a live drive right at the rim...and the ball never cleared the height of the rim.  No Arch of that puppy whatsoever.
Like Reply
(11-20-2021, 09:47 AM)dynamicalVoid Wrote: That line-drive shot of his is very questionable.

Did you see the shot last night where I dont think the entire ball ever completely got over the height of the rim...the top of the ball skimmed the under side of the rim.   One of the ugliest shots Ive ever seen...a live drive right at the rim...and the ball never cleared the height of the rim.  No Arch of that puppy whatsoever.

From the top of the key?  Not defending him but if I remember correctly it was an off balance, fading left, well contested, desperation shot.
Like Reply
Any line drive shot is not acceptable...in the NBA...in my opinion.

I get what you are saying...but this shot was bad bad.  I dont know if its the shot you are talking about...but I think if I saw it and witnessed him attempting this shot off balance or something like that...I would not have told myself last night how horrible of a shot that was.  I would have cut him some slack. 

Im pretty sure this was a pull up uncontested three...no arch...ball not entirely clearing the rim ever in its journey towards the rim.
Like Reply
Is it time to hit the panic button?
[-] The following 2 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • BasketballJones41, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(11-21-2021, 05:55 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Is is time to hit the panic button?

Getting closer, for sure.
Like Reply
(11-21-2021, 05:55 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Is it time to hit the panic button?

1 more game like today and I'm officially in panic mode. 

Dude looks nothing like the player he was in NYK.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
He is 19-65 on threes which is 29%.....if he went 5/5 he would be up to 34% for the season. 

Point being, if he can just get hot for a few games, things will start looking different. Just like it did for DFS who is now up to 34% for the season I think.
Like Reply
31 minutes, 0 points, 5 rbds, 1 assist. Wow... just wow. 

Maybe we should ask next janitor available to play instead of Bullock
Like Reply
(11-21-2021, 06:09 PM)Kammr Wrote: He is 19-65 on threes which is 29%.....if he went 5/5 he would be up to 34% for the season. 

Point being, if he can just get hot for a few games, things will start looking different. Just like it did for DFS who is now up to 34% for the season I think.

Not only concerned about his shooting because right now it looks like that is the only thing he adds that could be of value. He absolutely cannot dribble or pass the ball.
His defense is solid but he is not a true lockdown defender and if he cannot find a way to contribute on offense the Mavs are in trouble because Brown looks even worse.
So far Frank has been the saving grace when it comes to wing/guard play but he lacks consistency.
[-] The following 2 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • BasketballJones41, Paul Gasol
Like Reply
(11-21-2021, 06:19 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Not only concerned about his shooting because right now it looks like that is the only thing he adds that could be of value. He absolutely cannot dribble or pass the ball.
His defense is solid but he is not a true lockdown defender and if he cannot find a way to contribute on offense the Mavs are in trouble because Brown looks even worse.
So far Frank has been the saving grace when it comes to wing/guard play but he lacks consistency.

For sure RB needs to bring the 3&D because he doesn't add anything else. But if he DOES get that 3 point shot to a 40% clip that is worth more than his salary IMO. I am going to stay patient. But if his shot isn't there, he doesn't add value.
Like Reply
Every day he is looking more and more like Anna Nicole Smith.
Like Reply