Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bullock Bust Watch
(11-08-2021, 09:58 AM)Kammrath Wrote: Knicks so far have dropped from 4th in D last year to 27th in D this year. FN and RB out....Kemba and Fournier in.
This is the reason you need good 2 way players to supplement the stars that motor your offense.
Like Reply
(11-08-2021, 10:16 AM)haveitall Wrote: Small forwards need to be able to make moves on offense, dribble, pass and create, neither DFS nor Bullock, nor Brown can do that.
I think this point isn't mentioned nearly often enough. We MFFLs seem to have been conditioned to thinking that SFs don't need to have ball handling skills, or at least that it is nigh impossible to find one who does. When that's really just not the case, and the position usually comes with the expectation that those skills will be in place. 

It looks like Kidd is going to try to get DFS to play more of that type of role. Whether Doe-Doe has it in him is TBD, at best, imho.
[-] The following 2 users Like mavsluvr's post:
  • dirkfansince1998, Paul Gasol
Like Reply
(11-08-2021, 10:50 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: I think this point isn't mentioned nearly often enough. We MFFLs seem to have been conditioned to thinking that SFs don't need to have ball handling skills, or at least that it is nigh impossible to find one who does. When that's really just not the case, and the position usually comes with the expectation that those skills will be in place. 

It looks like Kidd is going to try to get DFS to play more of that type of role. Whether Doe-Doe has it in him is TBD, at best, imho.
I’d assume he’s been working with Shamgod on that for a while, otherwise, why is he here?
Like Reply
(11-08-2021, 10:53 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I’d assume he’s been working with Shamgod on that for a while, otherwise, why is he here?

DFS does well within the flow of the game.  He will shoot open shots, pass, dribble, penetrate etc.  But give him the ball in the playoffs in ISO, and what can he realistically do? What's his go to move? When tightly guarded its a guaranteed turnover or brick.  Actually Phoenix has the same problem, as good as Bridges is, what is his go to move.
Like Reply
(11-08-2021, 11:00 AM)haveitall Wrote: DFS does well within the flow of the game.  He will shoot open shots, pass, dribble, penetrate etc.  But give him the ball in the playoffs in ISO, and what can he realistically do? What's his go to move? When tightly guarded its a guaranteed turnover or brick.  Actually Phoenix has the same problem, as good as Bridges is, what is his go to move.
It seems to me that what DFS does well on the offensive end of the court is, basically, open catch-and-shoots, cuts to the basket, and grabbing ORs. 

He can pass to an open guy, but he's not doing anything much fancier than that. I don't think you really want Doe-Doe dribbling much at all. As you point out, when he steps out of his comfort zone, the results usually aren't pretty. 

I guess Kidd is going to give him an opportunity to diversify his game, including posting up and more advanced ball handling. We might see some improvements, and kudos to DFS for being willing to stretch his limits. 

As for his achieving even the average offensive skills of a SF in the NBA (much less those of a Lebron or Kawhi), I don't know. He's 28 years old and in his sixth season in the league. It took him a long time just to develop a consistent three-point shot. He has already arguably exceeded expectations, for an undrafted guy. Whether there is still very much unexploited potential, I guess we're about to see. 

Meanwhile, making DFS a focal point of the offense in the playoffs gives me a queasy feeling, tbh.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mavsluvr's post:
  • Paul Gasol
Like Reply
(11-08-2021, 10:50 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: I think this point isn't mentioned nearly often enough. We MFFLs seem to have been conditioned to thinking that SFs don't need to have ball handling skills, or at least that it is nigh impossible to find one who does. When that's really just not the case, and the position usually comes with the expectation that those skills will be in place. 

Agree. This should be mentioned more often. And it´s not like the Mavs need them to bring the ball up the court or to create of the dribble. Just the ability to attack of the catch. Beat the close out. Take one or two dribbles without turning it over. Make the next play. Finish the drive, pull up or pass.
I think Bullock has at least mastered the "Fake the 3...Take a step inside and pull up move." Haven´t seen any kind of passing skills from him.
DFS is trying his very best to make me rant about a player that I absolutely love. Feels like he ends up with the ball in his hands after every single double team on Luka. Teams are playing off him. He is super hesitant and more often than not wastes the opportunity to take advantage of the space he gets.
Like Reply
(11-08-2021, 11:57 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: DFS is trying his very best to make me rant about a player that I absolutely love. Feels like he ends up with the ball in his hands after every single double team on Luka. Teams are playing off him. He is super hesitant and more often than not wastes the opportunity to take advantage of the space he gets.

Agree. One thing I also noticed. With RC, DFS was mostly standing in the corner and he was great from there. With Kidd, DFS is often found near the top of the 3pt line - a cause for drop of his percentage?
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
(11-08-2021, 11:57 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Agree. This should be mentioned more often. And it´s not like the Mavs need them to bring the ball up the court or to create of the dribble. Just the ability to attack of the catch. Beat the close out. Take one or two dribbles without turning it over. Make the next play. Finish the drive, pull up or pass.
I think Bullock has at least mastered the "Fake the 3...Take a step inside and pull up move." Haven´t seen any kind of passing skills from him.
DFS is trying his very best to make me rant about a player that I absolutely love. Feels like he ends up with the ball in his hands after every single double team on Luka. Teams are playing off him. He is super hesitant and more often than not wastes the opportunity to take advantage of the space he gets.

That's the problem everyone loves DFS, he's easily one of my favorite players on the team.  He is full of character and heart.  The guy has absolutely overachieved in the NBA.  However a small forward does need to handle the ball and help put pressure on defenses.  Maybe its something he can learn, who knows he couldn't shoot 2 years ago so its not impossible.
Like Reply
What's being lost in this conversation about DFS is this:

He's not the one deciding he needs a bigger role within this offensive system. I assume Kidd and Kokoskov have decided to try that, which means that A) they think this is a role that needs to be filled for the offense to move forward and B) they have identified DFS as the player most likely to succeed in that role (a decision made while Bullock was on the roster). 

I'm skeptical about DFS's ball-handling, too, but then again, I have seen him make some nice decisions with the ball when it's forced out of Luka or Brunson's hands this year (some). Like change in any area, this change will be a process, and I'm not sure we've seen enough yet to declare whether this is a good or bad idea. 

What is clear, I think, is that this is the SECOND coach who seems to value DFS's contributions and potential more than some of the fans. Now, it's undoubtedly true that there is an element of relativity to that - he is valued more than other players on this roster. That's valid. But, I strongly feel like the line for DFS's services would be fairly long if he was available. Obviously, he'd have a bigger role on some teams than others, but that's true of almost any player.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • burekemde, fifteenth
Like Reply
I may as well throw my 2 cents in here. To me, Luka should be the SF/point forward, with a traditional PG added to keep Luka from being so ball dominant. Not sure JB is up for the job because he tends to be a little too ball dominant for my tastes. The Mavs offense works best when the ball is moving.
[-] The following 2 users Like david75090's post:
  • embellisher, Paul Gasol
Like Reply
(11-08-2021, 05:54 PM)david75090 Wrote: I may as well throw my 2 cents in here. To me, Luka should be the SF/point forward, with a traditional PG added to keep Luka from being so ball dominant. Not sure JB is up for the job because he tends to be a little too ball dominant for my tastes. The Mavs offense works best when the ball is moving.

I think a very strong argument can be made for this path.
Like Reply
[Image: giphy.gif]
Like Reply
Here’s my worry. In his best game of the year (by far), RB can get only 21 minutes, 7th on the team. And I’m really not sure he deserved to play more than Frank, who finished 8th with 18 mins. 

Hard to justify what we paid him if he’s only a 20 minute guy on his best nights.
Like Reply
(11-10-2021, 01:42 AM)Jommybone Wrote: Here’s my worry. In his best game of the year (by far), RB can get only 21 minutes, 7th on the team. And I’m really not sure he deserved to play more than Frank, who finished 8th with 18 mins. 

Hard to justify what we paid him if he’s only a 20 minute guy on his best nights.

Continued games like that possibly earn him more minutes, right? I think you pay him because that's what he's worth and we're better with him.
Like Reply
(11-10-2021, 01:42 AM)Jommybone Wrote: Hard to justify what we paid him if he’s only a 20 minute guy on his best nights.

Just wait till after the trade, you will be thankful for RB and his minutes will go up. You'll see. Smile
Like Reply
(11-10-2021, 08:30 AM)Kammrath Wrote: Just wait till after the trade, you will be thankful for RB and his minutes will go up. You'll see. Smile

Who we trading, and who are we trading for?
Like Reply
(11-10-2021, 10:57 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Who we trading, and who are we trading for?

Like Reply
(11-10-2021, 10:57 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Who we trading, and who are we trading for?

Don't know, but my hunch for awhile has been that DFS will be a casualty of Nico trying to reshape and upgrade the roster. RB's signing pointed to DFS becoming expendable in a trade IMO.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • embellisher
Like Reply
(11-10-2021, 11:26 AM)Kammrath Wrote: but my hunch for awhile has been that DFS will be a casualty

[-] The following 1 user Likes fifteenth's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
Don't worry @"fifteenth", DFS has been actively sabotaging his trade value this season. He was like "Aw hell no! Watch me shoot 26% on threes! Now what?! See what happens when you try to trade me, suckers!" Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • fifteenth, Jommybone
Like Reply