Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bullock Bust Watch
(02-06-2022, 09:19 PM)soog Wrote: Does this make DFS more expendable?
 No no no no no
Not very astute ^^^^
[-] The following 1 user Likes fifteenth's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
Bullock has arrived...the time off from Covid really saved him here. 42% from three since his return
[-] The following 1 user Likes SwisherPrice's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply

[Image: wolf-of-wall-street-no.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(02-06-2022, 08:55 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Whoops, I was wrong @"sterlingmallory". I guess this was not an apology thread like I remembered it being.

Plenty of us stuck up for him in here, however.

Haha all good man. I was convinced that Josh Green would never amount to anything other than a 12th man, end of the roster type. It happens. I was convinced Bullock wasn't nearly as bad as he looked though because he has plenty of history shooting very well. Him suddenly becoming a 29% shooter forever just didn't make sense to me.
Like Reply
(02-06-2022, 09:19 PM)soog Wrote: I really like Bullock at the 3 and DFS at the 4.  With Bullock’s recent performance, I think he has earned a spot in the starting line up even after Maxi comes back.

How does this change the Mavs outlook for the rest of this season?

Does this make DFS more expendable?

Nope.  Bullock is not a 4.  We lose DFS and Maxi is our only legit 4, and he is probably most effective coming off the bench.

I do like the DFS/Bullock/Luka/Brunson combination.  After watching that group play extremely well with Powell as the only big the last two games, I am starting to think we could possibly get away with Collins playing center.
Like Reply
So glad to see we finally signed a 3&D guy who actually delivers on both counts. 

I agree with those who say he doesn't make DFS expendable, but his return to his career shooting form means we need to get THJ and his contract out of here asap!
Like Reply
This is how you allocate the positions with Bullock in the starting lineup:

JB/Bullock/DFS/Luka/KP

Luka is big enough to play PF or big wing. More of the LeBron type of player.
Like Reply
Happily eating crow. He was really good in the last few games. As of today he is officially an above league average 3-point shooter for the season.
24.6% in october, 30.9% in november. Usually the turnaround starts in december (39.5%). This year he needed an extra month. Is there another player with similar career splits? In Reggie´s case it is not a one time thing. He is doing it every single year.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • Kammrath
Like Reply
(02-07-2022, 12:32 AM)mvossman Wrote: I am starting to think we could possibly get away with Collins playing center.

Yes. Against many, many teams yes.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/All_Things_Mavs/stat...1817072644
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • dirkfansince1998
Like Reply
(02-07-2022, 12:32 AM)mvossman Wrote: I do like the DFS/Bullock/Luka/Brunson combination.  After watching that group play extremely well with Powell as the only big the last two games, I am starting to think we could possibly get away with Collins playing center.

I think you could much of the time and certainly for stretches as part of a rotation.  But, there would be nights he'd get just as abused as Powell and Maxi do.  To me, the ideal pairing would be a healthy Turner.  He doesn't demand a shot count like KP, but gives you great D and can space the floor.  KP to Indy is a non-starter so we can forget about that.

To your point about Collins at C, here is something I wrote about Powell in another thread.  I think Collins has been the better defender this year, so it we can get these results from Powell, we can get them from Collins also:

"But, as I look at the last month of games, Dallas has beaten the following teams with KP sitting:  DEN, GSW, CHI, MEM, PHI and ATL.  Powell started all of those games and was +15, +6, +16, +18, +9 and +3.  

Wait...what?  I thought Powell sucked.  Those numbers are stunning.  I'm not saying Powell won those games for us.  That honor belongs to our stars.  I am saying those games look very different without him and you don't make him a throw-in for salary matching purposes on a team where KP is your starting C."
[-] The following 2 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • KillerLeft, ReunionMav
Like Reply
I know it doesn't matter much, but here are Bullock's stats on our wins/losses:

WINS - 27 Games - 48/45/82 - 24.3 Minutes

LOSSES - 19 Games - 29/21/89 - 25.2 Minutes
[-] The following 1 user Likes aguiar95's post:
  • Paul Gasol
Like Reply
I have noticed Dan. First it was his pretty good perimeter defense. Then it was his performance in the zone defense. Then it occurred to me his injury recovery has been shockingly good. Finally his defense against Embiid and Townes had several good moments. Let’s face it the guy has improved!

As for Bullock, I am very happy to see he and Luka bonding. Bullock along with most of the guys have figured out Kidd’s defense AND sometimes (quoting Luka) they also shoot well. Historically the Mavericks have never done that!
Like Reply
(11-04-2021, 04:04 PM)Jommybone Wrote: Is it too early? Starting to look a lot like yet another off-season whiff.

The OP says, “Yummy crow! Thanks, RB, for serving it!!!”
[-] The following 2 users Like Jommybone's post:
  • KillerLeft, ReunionMav
Like Reply

No. But, maybe.

What it should do is help clarify what you should spend for a 3-and-D player. If DFS has decided it takes $15M per to sign here, that's way too much, and he needs to be sold for what you can get. You should be able to get guys like that at MLE, plus maybe 20%.

That means DFS's available extension money should more than cover it, so the Mavs' failure to already have that done is a bit concerning. One benign possibility would be that they have offered the extension, he's declined, and they are shopping him (or shopping for someone, and leaving him as a possible piece that could be used). One stupid one imo would be that they haven't offered, or have tried to do it for even less.
Like Reply
(02-07-2022, 09:31 PM)F Gump Wrote: No. But, maybe.

What it should do is help clarify what you should spend for a 3-and-D player. If DFS has decided it takes $15M per to sign here, that's way too much, and he needs to be sold for what you can get. You should be able to get guys like that at MLE, plus maybe 20%.

That means DFS's available extension money should more than cover it, so the Mavs' failure to already have that done is a bit concerning. One benign possibility would be that they have offered the extension, he's declined, and they are shopping him (or shopping for someone, and leaving him as a possible piece that could be used). One stupid one imo would be that they haven't offered, or have tried to do it for even less.

It wasn’t from a great source (hoopshype), but they said the Mavs were offered a late possible lottery pick for DFS. If Green keeps his upward trajectory development, I wouldn’t hate that deal if DFS wants 15 million a year.
Like Reply
(02-07-2022, 07:38 AM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/All_Things_Mavs/stat...1817072644

I need his early June 3pt > 40%
Like Reply
(02-07-2022, 09:54 PM)Dirknows Wrote: It wasn’t from a great source (hoopshype), but they said the Mavs were offered a late possible lottery pick for DFS. If Green keeps his upward trajectory development, I wouldn’t hate that deal if DFS wants 15 million a year.

If it's determined he needs to be moved, I'd much prefer DFS being used as one piece in a deal for Collins. I'm still wishing for the scenario where KP goes to Sac, etc - maybe something like ....

Sac gets KP, S Brown  ...their incentive is to get a potential multi-faceted star to pull them out of the ditch
Hawks get Barnes, DFS .... their incentive is to get more defense with some potential offensive juice too
Dall gets Collins Holmes, Lou W
Like Reply
(02-08-2022, 03:54 AM)F Gump Wrote: If it's determined he needs to be moved, I'd much prefer DFS being used as one piece in a deal for Collins. I'm still wishing for the scenario where KP goes to Sac, etc - maybe something like ....

Sac gets KP, S Brown  ...their incentive is to get a potential multi-faceted star to pull them out of the ditch
Hawks get Barnes, DFS .... their incentive is to get more defense with some potential offensive juice too
Dall gets Collins Holmes, Lou W

Obviously I love any KP based deal that lands Holmes and Collins.  I think Sacramento is probably owed something more in this iteration.  Barnes and DFS seems a bit strong for Collins (though the DFS status as a UFA taints some of his value).  Dallas getting Collins and Holmes seems a bit strong for KP and DFS.  It isn't that far off.  Maybe it is accomplished with picks.  

I'm a little dubious of the DFS fit in Atlanta with Hunter, Barnes and Gallinari already there.  Maybe you move Gallinari to Sacramento for Bagley to clear up a 3/4 rotation of Hunter/Barnes/DFS.  This is part of the compensation to Sacramento as it helps Sac to be able to say they got something of value for Bagley.  Dallas would need to take on a contract from Sacramento (expiring Thompson?) to keep Sac. under the tax.
Like Reply
Dorian's value is so small due to the nature of his contract and what he'll command this offseason that I don't think many teams would be interested in giving up anything significant unless it was a true contender.
Like Reply