Poll: Brunson:
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Start
65.22%
30 65.22%
Bench
8.70%
4 8.70%
Trade
26.09%
12 26.09%
Total 46 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 1.75 Average
BRUNSON BURNER: to NYK for 4yrs/$104M (no SnT) | NYK docked 2025 2nd for tampering
(08-24-2022, 07:45 PM)F Gump Wrote: That's not what they are saying. They repeated that (as we all have heard long ago) that the Mavs TRIED to trade up, and couldn't find a team who was willing to trade down. And now they are playing the alternate reality game, where what if some team had said yes and the Mavs ended up with Halliburton not Brunson.

Good. I do not wish to live in a world where the Mavs turned such a deal down. 

If Haliburton was in the mix with this team right now, they'd be headed towards greatness.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply
However, the easier call on that alternate reality is we could be living in a world where we had JB AND Bane, Bey, Maxey or Achiuwa. If Bane or Maxey, JB probably never sees the starting position all last year until the beginning of the Utah series. Also would have been easier to part with JB for less compensation. 

No telling what would have happened had Donnie been better at his job as well as not been so petty during that draft and left the room. On the other hand, if he would have just used that pettiness against Bobby and stayed, there is almost no chance we come away drafting Green. The report is that Green was who Bob wanted, so if Nelson stayed and picked, we would most likely have come away with 1 of the other currently better showing later draftees.

Thanks Donnie!
Like Reply
^ None of that makes any sense. 

Why do you think Donnie left the room? I thought everyone knew that to mean Cuban gave the responsibility of the pick to the professional gambler.
Like Reply
(08-24-2022, 09:52 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: ^ None of that makes any sense. 

Why do you think Donnie left the room? I thought everyone knew that to mean Cuban gave the responsibility of the pick to the professional gambler.
I don’t remember that to be part of the story, but if it was, it’s cause of what Donnie had been doing with the responsibility given him. Thanks Donnie!
Like Reply
Best player on the court for the final 3 mins of regulation in the season opener. 2/2 from the field for 2 points, 2 rebounds, 2 assists, and a game-saving charge drawn on Ja with half a second to go, wiping the game winner off the scoreboard and getting the visitors into overtime. This plus 50% from the field, 50% from deep, 9 assists, 0 turnovers, +6 on the game. He’ll have to suck bad in overtime to keep his name out of tomorrow’s headlines in NY.

Edit: Jinxed him. 0-4 from the field in OT.
Like Reply
https://giphy.com/gifs/come-back-to-me-3...KoAQXL5eP6
[-] The following 1 user Likes JamesConway912's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
Brunson’s playing great at an all star level and max worthy, just as I predicted he would entering his prime. What a monumental whiff to lose him for air when you’re trying desperately to put a worthy team around an all time great player. Just awful.
[-] The following 5 users Like ThisIStheYear's post:
  • Jommybone, KillerLeft, Mavsfan12, RoyTarpleysGhost, Smitty
Like Reply
(10-27-2022, 03:28 PM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Brunson’s playing great at an all star level and max worthy, just as I predicted he would entering his prime. What a monumental whiff to lose him for air when you’re trying desperately to put a worthy team around an all time great player. Just awful.

https://giphy.com/gifs/foreverest-sad-fr...IiyZvSdzxu
Like Reply
(10-27-2022, 03:28 PM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Brunson’s playing great at an all star level and max worthy, just as I predicted he would entering his prime. What a monumental whiff to lose him for air when you’re trying desperately to put a worthy team around an all time great player. Just awful.

People blame Luka for all kind of shit, but this is the one where he can take some blame. He should have flat out told Cuban that Brunson stays whatever it costs.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mavs2021's post:
  • ThisIStheYear
Like Reply
(10-27-2022, 04:09 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: He should have flat out told Cuban that Brunson stays whatever it costs.

I don't know if "should" is appropriate. But, I sure wish he would have said something like that.
Like Reply
(10-27-2022, 03:28 PM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Brunson’s playing great at an all star level and max worthy, just as I predicted he would entering his prime.  

So, here is the question.  Would he be doing the same level work in a situation where he is next to high usage Luka.  If not, what would the work being done here be worth (moot point as he probably wanted to run his own team as people here have speculated for years).

Brunson's numbers are fascinating.  Unlike last year where his per minute production was almost identical to the year before and people lauded his "improvement" when all it was was increased minutes...His per minute production this year is up substantially with exactly the same usage as the prior year.  He's up 2 1/2 points and 3 1/2 assists per 36 on improved efficiency.  That is significant!

Early going, but the change of scenery seems to have done him good.  The Brunson conundrum may be that letting him run his own show turns him into something worth mid 20's million per year, but when he's allowed to run his own show he's probably running the show of a team with limited upside (time will tell.  NY has been better than I expected).  Still a colossal fail, but the fail was letting it get all the way to June IMHO.  The team tried to trade him the summer before and we'd be better off today if they had been successful.
Like Reply
Is his net rating as good as Josh Green though?
Like Reply
(10-27-2022, 05:06 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Early going, but the change of scenery seems to have done him good.  The Brunson conundrum may be that letting him run his own show turns him into something worth mid 20's million per year, but when he's allowed to run his own show he's probably running the show of a team with limited upside (time will tell.  NY has been better than I expected).  Still a colossal fail, but the fail was letting it get all the way to June IMHO.  The team tried to trade him the summer before and we'd be better off today if they had been successful.

We pay THJ $19 million a year to be 7th man. You think Brunson needs to run his own team to be worth mid $20s?

Do you also work for the team like the kammrath guy?
Like Reply
By the way, what "punishment" did the Knicks incur?
Like Reply
(10-27-2022, 05:06 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: So, here is the question.  Would he be doing the same level work in a situation where he is next to high usage Luka.  If not, what would the work being done here be worth (moot point as he probably wanted to run his own team as people here have speculated for years).

Brunson's numbers are fascinating.  Unlike last year where his per minute production was almost identical to the year before and people lauded his "improvement" when all it was was increased minutes...His per minute production this year is up substantially with exactly the same usage as the prior year.  He's up 2 1/2 points and 3 1/2 assists per 36 on improved efficiency.  That is significant!

Early going, but the change of scenery seems to have done him good.  The Brunson conundrum may be that letting him run his own show turns him into something worth mid 20's million per year, but when he's allowed to run his own show he's probably running the show of a team with limited upside (time will tell.  NY has been better than I expected).  Still a colossal fail, but the fail was letting it get all the way to June IMHO.  The team tried to trade him the summer before and we'd be better off today if they had been successful.

The efficiency was bound to come with newly acquired status in this league. He wouldn’t get the same star whistles had he stayed in Dallas as what he’ll get this year in the Big Apple being the team’s lead dog. But he’d no doubt have gotten better whistles than last year.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jommybone's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(10-27-2022, 07:11 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: We pay THJ $19 million a year to be 7th man. You think Brunson needs to run his own team to be worth mid $20s?

Do you also work for the team like the kammrath guy?

I don’t want to cast aspersions on any posters, but that first part is the truth. Brunson is already outplaying even the contract he got from the Knicks. $26 million a year is fine for  a third or maybe even a fourth best player, especially if you’re a big market team like Dallas and are serious about building a team worthy of an all time great.
Like Reply
(10-27-2022, 11:35 PM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: I don’t want to cast aspersions on any posters, but that first part is the truth. Brunson is already outplaying even the contract he got from the Knicks. $26 million a year is fine for  a third or maybe even a fourth best player, especially if you’re a big market team like Dallas and are serious about building a team worthy of an all time great.

Oh, there is zero doubt that he’s worth the contract. That will become clear even to the most stubborn amongst us eventually. 

An argument can be made, I suppose, that he is more worth the contract running his own team as the primary point guard then he would have been here, playing second fiddle, but I think even that POV is a little shaky, tbh.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • Smitty
Like Reply
(10-27-2022, 11:38 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: An argument can be made, I suppose, that he is more worth the contract running his own team as the primary point guard then he would have been here, playing second fiddle, but I think even that POV is a little shaky, tbh.

I don’t view this argument as shaky at all. But it seems to overlook that the Mavs could’ve signed him (possibly) in that same price range and then traded him down the road for something of similar value with better fit.
[-] The following 4 users Like Jommybone's post:
  • KillerLeft, Mavs2021, mvossman, Smitty
Like Reply
(10-27-2022, 11:57 PM)Jommybone Wrote: I don’t view this argument as shaky at all. But it seems to overlook that the Mavs could’ve signed him (possibly) in that same price range and then traded him down the road for something of similar value with better fit.

This is what the FO should have done. Just look at how Phoenix matched Ayton's offer sheet this summer despite Ayton being miserable there and getting into it with the coach. Even still, they are smart enough to know you can't just lose an asset for nothing in this league. They'll probably trade him as soon as he's eligible and get a nice return.

This was my biggest issue with the Brunson situation. Terrible, terrible asset management. The contract isn't even that bad, he got less than what Herro and Jordan Poole got. If you don't think he's a long term piece then re-sign him and trade him later. But no, we just let him go. And obviously, with the way the salary cap works in the NBA, once he's gone, he's gone. We're still over the cap so the only way to replace him is with the MLE (which we saw is only enough to get a Javale McGee level player) or trade.

The way they handled that really shook my confidence in the new Mavs FO.
[-] The following 1 user Likes sterlingmallory's post:
  • Smitty
Like Reply
(10-27-2022, 11:57 PM)Jommybone Wrote: I don’t view this argument as shaky at all. But it seems to overlook that the Mavs could’ve signed him (possibly) in that same price range and then traded him down the road for something of similar value with better fit.

For the very reason that he isn't afforded the same opportunity, I'd guess the Mavs would have had to pay him significantly more that what New York offered him which the MBT probably should have done.  Let's say $120-140m would have got him to stay.  I'm not sure that's super attractive for a lot of teams as we really don't know what the demand for Jalen was outside of New York, but even at an overpay, like you said, he'd be a nice centerpiece to a trade that you could attach your first round picks to in order to grab your second star.
[-] The following 3 users Like cow's post:
  • MFFL, mvossman, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply