Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
How is Rick going to manage minutes?
(11-01-2019, 03:52 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: How Carlisle manages minutes:
1) Asks Bartlettbear what he would do.
2) Does the exact opposite.
Tongue
Some never learn...here are some of my favorite complaints I read...

2010 he ragdolls players...wins Championship next season down 2-1 in the Finals and putting Barea in the starting lineup...

Next he refused to play young players...Future HOF Jenkins was rotting away at the end of the bench...Jenkins never got minutes where he went afterwards...DFS was a starter his rookie year...

Another good one was he is not a tanking coach...proceeds to orchestrate 2 seasons of hardworking and competitive losses due to epic 4th quarter adjustments...

What other excuses will they find or make up to trash him only to see him prove them wrong...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
Y'all actually think Dwight is a good defender? I'm really not a hater I swear, but that's like saying JJB is 7 feet tall.
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply
(11-01-2019, 04:35 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: Y'all actually think Dwight is a good defender? I'm really not a hater I swear, but that's like saying JJB is 7 feet tall.

He's not a good rim protector. But he is a decent perimeter defender, which will most likely be his defensive role when he and KP are both on the floor. KP will be the rim protector.
Like Reply
I think Powell is a solid team defender. 

There are certain things he does really well but he's also limited by lack of size and probably instinct. 

I doubt you'll find many players who are more prepared & I'm sure he executes the game plan. But he's not gifted defensively. He's a role player. A hard worker. An energy guy. There's nothing wrong with that. A team needs that.

I honestly think people often get hung up on too much individual this-or-that when discussing role players. 

So when you say "y'all actually thing Dwight is a good defender" I say ... well yeah, I guess, sure he is. 

Is he going to shut down Anthony Davis one on one? Of course not. But who will? Defense (and basketball) is a team thing.

Will teams game plan to put Powell in pick & roll to exploit his weaknesses? Well, sure they will. But that doesn't mean the entire defense will break down. Pick & roll coverage involves tactics and multiple players. What Powell gives away in length maybe he makes up for with good positioning. And like embellisher says, KP & Kleber are the rim protectors on this team.
Like Reply
https://www.mavs.com/dwight-powell-is-th...ercentile/

Super detailed read about Powell's impact on Defense and Offense and Development.

Good read.

He is an excellent compliment to Porzingis on Offense and Defense. At least in theory.

(11-01-2019, 05:51 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: I think Powell is a solid team defender. 

There are certain things he does really well but he's also limited by lack of size and probably instinct. 

I doubt you'll find many players who are more prepared & I'm sure he executes the game plan. But he's not gifted defensively. He's a role player. A hard worker. An energy guy. There's nothing wrong with that. A team needs that.

I honestly think people often get hung up on too much individual this-or-that when discussing role players. 

So when you say "y'all actually thing Dwight is a good defender" I say ... well yeah, I guess, sure he is. 

Is he going to shut down Anthony Davis one on one? Of course not. But who will? Defense (and basketball) is a team thing.

Will teams game plan to put Powell in pick & roll to exploit his weaknesses? Well, sure they will. But that doesn't mean the entire defense will break down. Pick & roll coverage involves tactics and multiple players. What Powell gives away in length maybe he makes up for with good positioning. And like embellisher says, KP & Kleber are the rim protectors on this team.

According to the article I linked Powell is actually a  and rodecent pick and roll defender.
Like Reply
I will give Powell a fair look. His first game back was bad, but we'll see. If he can't defend he will still be a good big off the bench. Hopefully we can see him play well defensively next to KP.
Like Reply
(11-01-2019, 06:39 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: I will give Powell a fair look. His first game back was bad, but we'll see. If he can't defend he will still be a good big off the bench. Hopefully we can see him play well defensively next to KP.

Playing good man D against Davis so far.
Like Reply