Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mavs are taken seriously: Being played very physically
Thumbs Up 
I have seen 4/5 games this season and what I observed is:

1. Dallas is being played very physically.

2. Luka is doubled, tripled and hit whenever possible.

3. Dallas is drawing plenty of fouls. The opponents are roughing them up and to be honest a lot more fouls should be called.

4. Dallas is exhausted late in the game by the rough and often illegal defense opponents enforce on them.

Dallas is taken very seriously by opposing teams. But they don't have the refs respect yet in order to get some protection. Sadly there is a natural delay until that happens.

What do you guys think?
Like Reply
I think the Mavs are going to have to raise their free throw percentage if they want to win games like last night.  69% is not going to get it.

And, yes, none of these other teams wants to lose to these Mavs.  Man, I wish the Mavs had wiped that smug look off of Lebron's face and ruined his ESPN appearance.

Oh, and also, here's my conspiracy theory of the day.  After seeing all the calls favoring the Flakers last night, I'm wondering if the bean counters in the league office took notice of the anemic World Series ratings.  Just sayin'.
Like Reply
This team took a MAJOR step forward last night. Coming into the season I thought the Mavs would fight for an 8 seed but I was wrong. Barring major injury, this team is a lock for the playoffs.

Hot takes:

1. Lebron and Davis are MVP caliber players and it took everything they had to beat the Mavs; in fact, the Mavs should've won.
  2. Doncic, if you had any doubts, is a full fledged MVP caliber, NBA superstar.
  3. Porzingis isn't on Anthony Davis' level and it showed. But he's only been back for five games. It wouldn't shock me to see him go off for 30 in their next meeting. He's capable.
  4. The Mavs need another big-time playmaker. Seth Curry is not the answer.
  5. The Mavs need another physical wing to defend Lebron. THJ is not the answer.
Re the topic of this post, the fouls were roughly even last night. I thought the game even had a playoff vibe. The Mavs lack of toughness and physicality was exposed but they're right there with the Lakers. 

After last night, I think this team is now one player away from contending.

Give me a big-time playmaking guard or a big, physical defensive wing who can shoot and this team will go places.
Like Reply
(11-02-2019, 07:47 AM)SportPsychMav Wrote: I have seen 4/5 games this season and what I observed is:

3. Dallas is drawing plenty of fouls. The opponents are roughing them up and to be honest a lot more fouls should be called.

4. Dallas is exhausted late in the game by the rough and often illegal defense opponents enforce on them.

Dallas is taken very seriously by opposing teams. But they don't have the refs respect yet in order to get some protection. Sadly there is a natural delay until that happens.

What do you guys think?

My biggest concern with Doncic in the long run is that he picks up on the refs' hell-bent hatred of the Mavs (Mark's fault) and looks for greener pastures. I don't think Luka will ever get superstar treatment - or even fair treatment - as long as he plays for the Mavs and Mark owns the Mavs.
Like Reply
(11-02-2019, 01:15 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(11-02-2019, 07:47 AM)SportPsychMav Wrote: I have seen 4/5 games this season and what I observed is:

What do you guys think?

My biggest concern with Doncic in the long run is that he picks up on the refs' hell-bent hatred of the Mavs (Mark's fault) and looks for greener pastures. I don't think Luka will ever get superstar treatment - or even fair treatment - as long as he plays for the Mavs and Mark owns the Mavs.

I don't think so. I think Dallas will be a media darling starting this season. Everything is indicating it. Refs will follow suit. Mavs basically are team Europe. Luka is loved by most greats and they are starting to respect him.

Dallas is really getting challenged to start this season. Most teams are playing really hard against us.
Like Reply
Some of this is the Lakers taking to Vogel's coaching better than I expected. I thought LeBron would tune Vogel out but the team seems to have bought in to his nasty defensive philosophy and they currently have the third best defense in the NBA. If they can get away with as much as that on a regular basis as that they'll just be ugly to play

And yes, there is now a bit of a target on our backs with the KP addition and a decent start. Right now we're not a garbage team trying to sneak up and catch someone off guard like we have been the past few seasons.
Like Reply
(11-02-2019, 01:21 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote:
(11-02-2019, 01:15 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:

What do you guys think?

I don't think so. I think Dallas will be a media darling starting this season. Everything is indicating it. Refs will follow suit. Mavs basically are team Europe. Luka is loved by most greats and they are starting to respect him.

Dallas is really getting challenged to start this season. Most teams are playing really hard against us.
Absolutely 100% agree with this and what you posted above. Last night was a statement game for the Mavs. They put the league on notice even though they lost. I personally think what you saw the passing of the torch last night with the video of LeBron telling Luka he is a bad XXX. ESPN has been sharing that video today on social media. Dallas will start getting calls since they will be the media darlings going forward I think. Dirk got the calls in the Finals in 11.

I also think that Luka may have just become the new face of the league with that last night. Giannis is a beast and is very well loved but Luka has a more well rounded game. His game also fits right in line with where the league is going with the 3 ball and ball movement.

This Mavs team is loaded with shooters, high BBIQ players, and toughness. This is a gritty team. To think that they are so young in amazing. I think about 30 games in we'll really see what they are capable of. Luka doesn't look like your average 20 year old NBA player. He's ready for his many titles to come.

Barring major injury this team will be in the thick of the playoff seeding. Not just some 8 seed hanging around. I do agree though that they need 1 more piece. It may be someone already on the roster stepping up or through a trade. I would look for Donnie to be on the prowl at the TDL looking for that piece.
Like Reply
I think development will come from within. Rotation will crystallize over time. I don't think we need a distinct third peace but clear roles. What Dallas might lack though is a poised and gritty player. Markus Smart is not gettable but would be perfect. Problem with players like this is that they can easily disrupt team chemistry.

I would love Robert Covington but he is never gettable.
Maybe Lee + Brunson + 2 seconds?
Like Reply
Derek Harper said on the broadcast, he thinks this team needs a Rasheed Wallace type. 
Like Reply