Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FA: Frank Ntilikina (6'4" w/o shoes, 7'1" wingspan) to DAL
They signed the 20th guy on the roster (who has been a disappointment up to this point for a #8 pick) to what is effectively a one year min contract where the only downside is Cuban’s wallet is a bit lighter.

It’s exactly the sort of thing they should be doing.
Like Reply
(09-17-2021, 04:10 PM)soog Wrote: They signed the 20th guy on the roster (who has been a disappointment up to this point for a #8 pick) to what is effectively a one year min contract where the only downside is Cuban’s wallet is a bit lighter.

It’s exactly the sort of thing they should be doing.

I would start Ntilikina's highlights.
[-] The following 1 user Likes WildArkieBoy's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
(09-17-2021, 04:13 PM)WildArkieBoy Wrote: I would start Ntilikina's highlights.

You have to pay more for those!
Like Reply
(09-17-2021, 03:12 PM)Thukydides Wrote: To double down: I think, this is by far the best move, the Mavs have made this off-season - so good, I expect people to totally shake their head on, what the Knicks were thinking, in a few years.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Like Reply
(09-17-2021, 03:12 PM)Thukydides Wrote: I don´t know. If someone can lock down Harden, Lillard and Luka in several crunch-time plays, he should have more value than Rokas Jokubaitis, DeWayne Bacon, even Kevin Knox (all on the Knicks roster rn). This is a special, special skill.

If I was the Knicks, I don´t give up on a guy like that. He´s still so young. Btw I can´t understand anyone asking for DSJ instead. But I am interested in the case for that.

To double down: I think, this is by far the best move, the Mavs have made this off-season - so good, I expect people to totally shake their head on, what the Knicks were thinking, in a few years.

[Image: 200w.gif]

Frank Ntilikina did not lock down Luka or Harden...he had a couple of good plays on both...good for him, but let's not get crazy.

I'm sorry...they've watched this cat for years and a few highlight plays don't create a solid role player....he obviously didn't do enough consistently.

The "lowlight" reel would probably tell you a different tale.  Maybe he can restart and get better...good luck to him.
"There are no friends on the court." - Luka Doncic
[-] The following 1 user Likes TXBamanut's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
Frank has to be developed. He's not ready to play much right away, I don't think
Like Reply
I can't erase the highlights from my feeble brain showing one of my favorite Sidney Moncrief things; a player who initiates his offense with his defense.   

Is there really such a thing as muscle memory?  Is a player who performs like this 15 minutes per season not theoretically capable of doing the same 15 minutes per game?

Would or could hypnosis or coaching turn Frank Ntilikina into Frank "Highlights" Ntilikina?
Like Reply
I think the transition goes from 15 minutes per season to 5 mpg then building up from that point.
The problem we are going to have is expecting Frank to Richardson and he is not even that at this point -
IF THIS is our big FA acquisition for the season

BE PREPARED

to be In-FRANK-N.-Censed

"Before and after for 200 Alex"
Like Reply
Upside of signing Frank: He's potentially another DFS starter kit with fantastic defense with a so-so 3. Always a good thing to have around. If he puts it together he's the ideal defensive guard we want off the bench.

Downside of Franky Smokes: I think this going to be worse than the Roddy B situation. The frequency of people calling for Kidd's head for not playing the dude will probably make me grow a few new wrinkles. It's hard to accept that he's not very good right now, though he's bursting with what-ifs.

I pray the Free Franky Smoke crowd doesn't run that train straight through the ground too quickly.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply
(09-17-2021, 05:18 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Upside of signing Frank: He's potentially another DFS starter kit with fantastic defense with a so-so 3. Always a good thing to have around. If he puts it together he's the ideal defensive guard we want off the bench.

Downside of Franky Smokes: I think this going to be worse than the Roddy B situation. The frequency of people calling for Kidd's head for not playing the dude will probably make me grow a few new wrinkles. It's hard to accept that he's not very good right now, though he's bursting with what-ifs.

I pray the Free Franky Smoke crowd doesn't run that train straight through the ground too quickly.

Refusing to be stereotyped as part of the "Free Franky Smoke crowd,  I've been very patient so far, despite Kidd not playing him a minute yet.  BTW, is Roddy still available?
[-] The following 4 users Like WildArkieBoy's post:
  • ClutchDirk, fifteenth, ItsGoTime, Jommybone
Like Reply
Nice move
Like Reply
(09-17-2021, 05:18 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Upside of signing Frank: He's potentially another DFS starter kit with fantastic defense with a so-so 3. Always a good thing to have around. If he puts it together he's the ideal defensive guard we want off the bench.

Free Franky would be silly. He's done even less than Roddy B ever did!
[-] The following 1 user Likes fifteenth's post:
  • dmavs4life03
Like Reply
I'll be chanting for us to set Frank free.
Like Reply
I like Franky Smokes in the Mavs roster. He has very good defense. I think he can immediately be a situational defensive player. They can develop him into a 3 and D player with some ball-handling and passing skills.

They just need to clear a roster spot for him. I hope they can find some 2 or 3 players for 1 player trade that can net the Mavs another rotation player, preferably a player who can provide scoring off the bench, and at the same time clear some roster spot for Franky and another player in the future.
Like Reply
(09-17-2021, 08:59 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Free Franky would be silly. He's done even less than Roddy B ever did!

Just you wait. Frank is going to score 15 points and play spectacular defense one night against a middling team like the Kings and we're never going to hear the end of it why Kidd doesn't play him more.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • ClutchDirk
Like Reply
(09-18-2021, 12:22 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Just you wait. Frank is going to score 15 points and play spectacular defense one night against a middling team like the Kings and we're never going to hear the end of it why Kidd doesn't play him more.

Since we can't beat the Kings, I hope you're right.
[-] The following 2 users Like fifteenth's post:
  • embellisher, Jmaciscool
Like Reply
(09-18-2021, 12:22 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Just you wait. Frank is going to score 15 points and play spectacular defense one night against a middling team like the Kings and we're never going to hear the end of it why Kidd doesn't play him more.

Speaking of single night performances, I’m still upset the real Nico isn’t back
Like Reply
(09-17-2021, 02:55 PM)Thukydides Wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDStWUKsznA

Watching this I have a hard time figuring out, how this player can be had for nothing. What´s the point here. He hits open catch n shoot threes and plays ridiculously good defense. Can anyone explain this to me? That sounds like a young Pat Bev. Why was he let go? I don´t get it.

All I know is that one normally can´t put together such a mixtape of a minimum free agent. Noone can convince me otherwise.

That's because you're looking at a highlights video, everybody looks better in a highlights video

From what I've seen of Knicks fans they expect Bullock to be very good for us but they were laughing at us for signing Frank and I even saw one post this https://twitter.com/traeatlhawkz/status/...wcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.realgm.com%2Fboards%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ft%3D2122997start%3D20

But it's a very low risk move so whatever. There may be an outsized backlash to Frank getting roasted on that one play because of how important a play it was. But considering defense is his only calling card having a lowlight like that certainly helps explain why he's so cheaply available
[-] The following 1 user Likes MrGoat's post:
  • soog
Like Reply
(09-18-2021, 12:47 AM)soog Wrote: Speaking of single night performances, I’m still upset the real Nico isn’t back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dim0_D9eFgo

Dude was a monster can't believe RC didn't play him more.... Tongue
[-] The following 4 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • DallasMaverick, omahen, soog, Tyler
Like Reply
(09-18-2021, 12:14 PM)MrGoat Wrote: That's because you're looking at a highlights video, everybody looks better in a highlights video

From what I've seen of Knicks fans they expect Bullock to be very good for us but they were laughing at us for signing Frank and I even saw one post this https://twitter.com/traeatlhawkz/status/...wcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.realgm.com%2Fboards%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ft%3D2122997start%3D20

But it's a very low risk move so whatever. There may be an outsized backlash to Frank getting roasted on that one play because of how important a play it was. But considering defense is his only calling card having a lowlight like that certainly helps explain why he's so cheaply available

While we probably agree in principal on Frankie, that is a very unfair video.  He literally had sat the entire game and not played a second, and Tibbs put him in for that one play.  He literally had no idea that was coming...Tibbs set him up to fail.  That was a dumb move by the coaching staff and probably, if anything, would be in Frankie's favor, because it would show the "Keystone Cops" level development plan that the front office and coaching staff have put Frank on.   I mean the minute he came in there, they bring in 800 year old Jarrett Jack and bring Trey Burke up from the G League and play them ahead of him.   Honestly, Josh Green has had the GOLD star or Platinum level development plan next to Ntilikina.

I'd have rather had DSJ, and he is low risk, but throwing that clip out there as any kind of proof is more unfair than making a point off a highlight video, imho.
"There are no friends on the court." - Luka Doncic
Like Reply