Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FA: Frank Ntilikina (6'4" w/o shoes, 7'1" wingspan) to DAL
(09-18-2021, 12:14 PM)MrGoat Wrote: That's because you're looking at a highlights video, everybody looks better in a highlights video

From what I've seen of Knicks fans they expect Bullock to be very good for us but they were laughing at us for signing Frank and I even saw one post this https://twitter.com/traeatlhawkz/status/...wcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.realgm.com%2Fboards%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ft%3D2122997start%3D20

But it's a very low risk move so whatever. There may be an outsized backlash to Frank getting roasted on that one play because of how important a play it was. But considering defense is his only calling card having a lowlight like that certainly helps explain why he's so cheaply available

Yeah, that lowlight video shows abysmal defense.  It’s not that he gets beat, it’s HOW he gets beat.  He at multiple times has his front foot past mid-point of Young’s body, meaning he was already beat at that moment without Young doing anything.  In this position the offensive player just needs to attack with his opposite foot and the defender’s back is suddenly facing the man with the ball.  That’s why Frank gets flipped around like 4 times that play.  Young is just toying with his bad foot work.

What this signals to me (without seeing anything else), is that his reputation as a good defender is due to athletic ability, not BBIQ.

I find it initially discouraging because players shouldn’t be making mistakes like this in the NBA.  Well coached high school players shouldn’t make mistakes like this.  At the same time, it gives me hope that there are some key areas in which he can quickly grow and show he is more than the player we have seen the last 4 years.

******* Edit ********
Ok I just went through some of his highlights and his footwork on defense is consistently bad (even the highlights).  These plays make it into highlights because he is athletic enough and long enough to recover and get a steal or block.
[-] The following 3 users Like soog's post:
  • MrGoat, Paul Gasol, ReunionMav
Like Reply
(09-18-2021, 12:15 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dim0_D9eFgo

Dude was a monster can't believe RC didn't play him more.... Tongue

Dang, that was a great team!  Just need to bring back Yogi and Justin Anderson...
Like Reply
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7zZPvTeNJI
Like Reply
(09-19-2021, 01:12 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7zZPvTeNJI

Don't know if this is a pro or anti Ntilikina data point, but in 17/18 Frank had exactly one net positive two-man lineup among pairs that played 300 minutes or more (9 of them).  That was a +4.9 with KP.  The D was 94.8, a mile better than any other pairing.  

The three and four man lineups with floor spreaders like McDermott, Courtney Lee and THJ were really good.
[-] The following 2 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • KillerLeft, Tyler
Like Reply
(09-19-2021, 01:31 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Don't know if this is a pro or anti Ntilikina data point, but in 17/18 Frank had exactly one net positive two-man lineup among pairs that played 300 minutes or more (9 of them).  That was a +4.9 with KP.  The D was 94.8, a mile better than any other pairing.  

The three and four man lineups with floor spreaders like McDermott, Courtney Lee and THJ were really good.

Ntilikina as a KP fix?   hmmmmm
Like Reply
(09-19-2021, 01:42 PM)WildArkieBoy Wrote: Ntilikina as a KP fix?   hmmmmm

Interestingly, if you turn it around and look at KP's best two man pairings at 100-plus minutes that season...here are all of them:

+0.3      C. Lee
+1.2      J. Jack
+0.4      E. Kanter
+4.0     T. Hardaway
+0.3      I. Thomas
-0.9       D. McDermott
+4.9     F. Ntilikina
-3.4       K. O'Quinn
-4.5       M. Beasley
-0.4       R. Baker

Frank, KP and THJ were +15.9 in 150 minutes together in 17/18.  In 19/20, Frank and Bullock were +21.2 in 150 minutes together (but in 20/21 when Frank wasn't playing much it was -0.5).
[-] The following 3 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • Hypermav, Scott41theMavs, Tyler
Like Reply
(09-19-2021, 02:12 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Interestingly, if you turn it around and look at KP's best two man pairings at 100-plus minutes that season...here are all of them:

+0.3      C. Lee
+1.2      J. Jack
+0.4      E. Kanter
+4.0     T. Hardaway
+0.3      I. Thomas
-0.9       D. McDermott
+4.9     F. Ntilikina
-3.4       K. O'Quinn
-4.5       M. Beasley
-0.4       R. Baker

Frank, KP and THJ were +15.9 in 150 minutes together in 17/18.  In 19/20, Frank and Bullock were +21.2 in 150 minutes together (but in 20/21 when Frank wasn't playing much it was -0.5).

While the kind words about KP from Kidd and Nico could be expected from a preserving asset value standpoint, seeing the stats above, furnished by DanS, the pursuit of Bullock and Ntilikina may not have been based on best player available, but players who perform well with our unicorn center.
[-] The following 1 user Likes WildArkieBoy's post:
  • ClutchDirk
Like Reply
(09-19-2021, 06:27 PM)WildArkieBoy Wrote: While the kind words about KP from Kidd and Nico could be expected from a preserving asset value standpoint, seeing the stats above, furnished by DanS, the pursuit of Bullock and Ntilikina may not have been based on best player available, but players who perform well with our unicorn center.

I refuse to call him a Unicorn, until he starts playing like one.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HoosierDaddyKid's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(09-21-2021, 06:27 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: I refuse to call him a Unicorn, until he starts playing like one.

[Image: EwaoIELXEAEKYAv?format=jpg&name=medium]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Tyler's post:
  • TXBamanut
Like Reply
(09-21-2021, 11:17 PM)Tyler Wrote: [Image: EwaoIELXEAEKYAv?format=jpg&name=medium]

Why three fingers? That would be a tricorn not a unicorn. 

Or maybe he's just signalling that KP's the third Dirk
[-] The following 1 user Likes MrGoat's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(09-22-2021, 09:12 AM)MrGoat Wrote: Why three fingers? That would be a tricorn not a unicorn. 

That was Maxi's tribute to KP after one of KP's trademark long 3's. He knows what's up.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Tyler's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
(09-22-2021, 09:12 AM)MrGoat Wrote: Or maybe he's just signalling that KP's the third Dirk

TRIPLE DIRKS!!!
Like Reply
Lots of love for French Frank early in this thread. Today seems like the right day to reread it. Dude showed some improvement and has potential to become that additional playoff-rotation wing that Dallas reportedly is seeking. 

I’d like to add that somehow he also managed to make 24 of his 25 FTs on the season, a remarkable feat. Here’s to another year of dreaming about what Ntilikina might make of his remarkable athletic abilities.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jommybone's post:
  • audiosway
Like Reply
(09-17-2021, 04:38 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Who needs Dragic when you got Frankie Smokes....

Said 1 year ago. Still valid today.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • audiosway
Like Reply
(07-04-2022, 01:16 PM)Jommybone Wrote: Lots of love for French Frank early in this thread. Today seems like the right day to reread it. Dude showed some improvement and has potential to become that additional playoff-rotation wing that Dallas reportedly is seeking. 

I’d like to add that somehow he also managed to make 24 of his 25 FTs on the season, a remarkable feat. Here’s to another year of dreaming about what Ntilikina might make of his remarkable athletic abilities.

I really like what Kidd is doing with Frank. He has potential. Kidd is the guy to bring it out. I don't see why he can't turn Frank into a very good rotation player.
We didn't make the cut but thanks for all the support!
[-] The following 1 user Likes audiosway's post:
  • Jommybone
Like Reply