Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why are we always the Free Agent Janitors?
On Monday night, someone posted Cuban's "hoodie" quote from 2014. I'm surprised it isn't brought up in the media more, and I'm surprised we get the agents of any African American players to even listen to our pitches, far less sign here, after he said that.
Like Reply
(08-04-2021, 08:36 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: For me the most interesting part is that they couldn´t even attract local players. One would think that Dallas would have some kind of advantage when it comes to players from the area or even the state but that´s not the case. Feels like SA and Houston had more success with those guys.

Well, I think they might have better luck attracting local guys NOW than they did back in the day. Bosh has said many times that the Mavs were so bad when he was growing up in Dallas it wasn't "cool" to follow them. But, there's no shortage of current young players saying they like Dirk and those teams, so I think maybe the current local guys might be easier targets?
Like Reply
(08-04-2021, 08:40 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: On Monday night, someone posted Cuban's "hoodie" quote from 2014. I'm surprised it isn't brought up in the media more, and I'm surprised we get the agents of any African American players to even listen to our pitches, far less sign here, after he said that.

That's a fair point, as is bringing up his AAU comments.

But he's spoken and acted with much more understanding  regarding racial justice issues in recent years.  And he's doing a good job of not hiring out of the white good old boy network for corporate positions. 

So his reputation in the black community may be mixed with positive and negative.  He's certainly doing better these days.
[-] The following 1 user Likes fifteenth's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
I think a couple things stand out: LA, NY, Miami are attractive markets. Everyone else is at a disadvantage unless they are really good. Mavs best chance at getting FA's is to get really good, which is a chicken/egg problem. Luka helps a lot. If he can drag this team to consistent top 4 status with a good complimentary cast then the Mavs might finally get an FA but the best way to get good players is through the draft and trades.
Like Reply
(08-04-2021, 09:01 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Mavs best chance at getting FA's is to get really good, which is a chicken/egg problem.

This is astute. 

Please use this, exact wording when you email Cuban.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • StepBackJay
Like Reply
Mark Cuban

Any other owner in the nba operating as head of basketball operations? Any other owner acting like a teenager on national tv? Putting a PlayStation in lockers doesn’t keep you from being a douchebag.
[-] The following 5 users Like wmffl87's post:
  • audiosway, hakeemfaan, KillerLeft, MaxiThreeba, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
lmao at hip hop generation 

Talk about out of touch 40 year old white dudes
Like Reply
(08-04-2021, 09:11 PM)wmffl87 Wrote: lmao at hip hop generation 

Can't figure out what you're talking about
Like Reply
(08-04-2021, 10:13 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Can't figure out what you're talking about

it was a post I deleted. It wasn't about race or anything but I guess it struck a nerve so I deleted it. It was basically echoing similar thoughts of KL as to why the Mavs don't get American "named" FAs. I'll never understand why skin color matters other than a generic description. But, I guess it's important to some.
We didn't make the cut but thanks for all the support!
[-] The following 1 user Likes audiosway's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(08-04-2021, 09:11 PM)wmffl87 Wrote: lmao at hip hop generation 

I'm in my 40s yeah. But, what makes you think I'm white?
We didn't make the cut but thanks for all the support!
Like Reply
Reviving my old thread in light of absolutely nothing. In this case, we can't even sign our own players....
[-] The following 1 user Likes jerryjohnson's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply

via GIPHY

[-] The following 1 user Likes JamesConway912's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply