Poll: In or out on 3/90 Lowry?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
In
28.85%
15 28.85%
Out
71.15%
37 71.15%
Total 52 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
POLL: In or out on the Lowry pursuit?
(07-28-2021, 09:58 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I won’t discount this idea at all. It’s a good thought. Might depend on what he signs for though. If he signs for $20M, I’d have to believe we didn’t offer him a max contract to come here based on years of data that says players wouldn’t turn down that big of a difference in money at the beginning of their careers.

Yeah, and if/when that happens and you have that thought, you might have the absolute right of the situation. 

Or, maybe he just loves NY or Chi (or wherever) and doesn't want to live in Dallas. Or, maybe he wants to play with the guys he grew up with in the AAU system and not some Euro, no matter how good that guy might be. Or, maybe he wants the ball, and is 100% disinterested in playing with Luka for basketball reasons. Or, any one of a thousand other possible reasons we'll never know. 

I'm just saying that even I, Cuban-hating KL, can't bring myself to fault the team for who they don't sign. I feel like it's only fair to evaluate what they actually do. 
[-] The following 3 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • fifteenth, omahen, Smitty
Like Reply
Like me sum Lawry’s. I’m in.
Like Reply
(07-28-2021, 10:04 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Yeah, and if/when that happens and you have that thought, you might have the absolute right of the situation. 

Or, maybe he just loves NY or Chi (or wherever) and doesn't want to live in Dallas. Or, maybe he wants to play with the guys he grew up with in the AAU system and not some Euro, no matter how good that guy might be. Or, maybe he wants the ball, and is 100% disinterested in playing with Luka for basketball reasons. Or, any one of a thousand other possible reasons we'll never know. 

I'm just saying that even I, Cuban-hating KL, can't bring myself to fault the team for who they don't sign. I feel like it's only fair to evaluate what they actually do. 
I mean, sure, but isn’t the crux of the argument against Donnie about what he didn’t do? Those that argue for him base it on what he did, but the overwhelming evidence against is about the negative.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • Paul Gasol
Like Reply
(07-28-2021, 10:25 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I mean, sure, but isn’t the crux of the argument against Donnie about what he didn’t do? Those that argue for him base it on what he did, but the overwhelming evidence against is about the negative.

I try to evaluate moves against doing nothing. As in, did the move make the team better or worse, in the short and long term? 

I also think it's fair to identify a type of player we want them to go after, taking a bird's eye view of roster construction and fit. "They're going after a PG, when they need a big" is an oversimplified but fair example of this. 

I just think it's bizarre to pin all of our opinions and/or expectations on a single target for all the reasons I mentioned above. Example: Brogdon from the last few years, or Collins this summer.

Sometimes we get a sense of why moves don't get made, like with Crowder this past off-season, and in that case, I think it's fair to have a take on whether you'd have offered the extra year or whatever. But in situations wherein we don't even know the two sides ever talked, I don't think it's fair to assume that's ALL the Mavs' decision.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • fifteenth, Hogmelon
Like Reply
(07-28-2021, 10:42 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I try to evaluate moves against doing nothing. As in, did the move make the team better or worse, in the short and long term? 

I also think it's fair to identify a type of player we want them to go after, taking a bird's eye view of roster construction and fit. "They're going after a PG, when they need a big" is an oversimplified but fair example of this. 

I just think it's bizarre to pin all of our opinions and/or expectations on a single target for all the reasons I mentioned above. Example: Brogdon from the last few years, or Collins this summer.

Sometimes we get a sense of why moves don't get made, like with Crowder this past off-season, and in that case, I think it's fair to have a take on whether you'd have offered the extra year or whatever. But in situations wherein we don't even know the two sides ever talked, I don't think it's fair to assume that's ALL the Mavs' decision.
Again, I give credence to this thought process. Ultimately, I think IF Lowry comes here in a way that is beneficial to the team, I’ve said it’s not all that horrible. The question was, at this moment in time having the information we have now, is Lowry worth it? I think, right now, with the information we currently have, I’d rather have Ball at max than Lowry at $30M. So I am a “no” on this pole at this point in time.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • Paul Gasol
Like Reply
(07-28-2021, 03:18 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: If they give Lowry 90/3 you have the full picture.

Cuban hired Nico to be his new Yes Man.
The new strategies will be the same as the old strategies.
That means always maximize the roster for next season with no strategic long-term planning.
That means unless we get a perceived basketball talent upgrade on Porzingis he will not be traded.
And nobody in the world will give you anything close to what Cuban would perceive as equal basketball talent.

You make this sound as if it was some especially bad thing.
Every GM follows the plan lied out by his owner and every GM with a Top5 player tries to win now.

By the way, we followed a strategic longtime plan called Giannis, that didn't work out and everybody is complaining now - we drafted for the long run and everybody is complaining now.

Lowry at 3y would be a strategic move.
Like Reply
ALL IN BITCHEZ
Like Reply
Ya'll need to understand how critical it is to get past the first round next year. We don't need young guys with upside or undervalued role players. We need whatever combination of players that are going to help Luka get to the 2nd round, period end of story. Getting to the 2nd round is a big milestone in his career and the Mavs growth as a team in the Luka era. It also probably means Mavs were able to be a top 5 seed which is good. Not making to playoffs or losing in the first round will be a huge negative and add a lot of FUD on the whole Luka situation. That is how this year's moves should be evaluated.
Like Reply
I apologize if this is redundant, as I haven't taken the time to read everybody's posts, which I am sure make great points.

To me, Lowry has had a good run in Toronto, including the championship a few years ago. But now he is 35 (as of last March) and staring at the exit door coming up soon and looking for a final payday on his way out. This is the last year he can get a 3 year deal without the over-38 contract issues.

Although he is still a very good talent, I can't see DAL funding his retirement plan at $30MM/yr. If we feel like we're overpaying for KP, then we'll certainly feel like we're overpaying for Lowry.
[-] The following 2 users Like michaeltex's post:
  • BasketballJones41, Paul Gasol
Like Reply
(07-29-2021, 09:47 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: Ya'll need to understand how critical it is to get past the first round next year. We don't need young guys with upside or undervalued role players. We need whatever combination of players that are going to help Luka get to the 2nd round, period end of story. Getting to the 2nd round is a big milestone in his career...
Is this sarcasm?
Like Reply
In. Wasn’t JKidd 35 when the Mavs traded for him?
Like Reply
(07-29-2021, 11:41 AM)vfromlmf Wrote: In. Wasn’t JKidd 35 when the Mavs traded for him?

Yes and then immediately re-signed him to a 24/3 contract, which under the current cap would roughly be a 48/3 contract. A small difference from the 90/3 our friend from the north allegedly wants.
Like Reply
I like Lowry. He has excellent BBQ.
Like Reply
(07-29-2021, 11:58 AM)loki Wrote: I like Lowry. He has excellent BBQ.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • loki
Like Reply
(07-29-2021, 09:47 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: Ya'll need to understand how critical it is to get past the first round next year. We don't need young guys with upside or undervalued role players. We need whatever combination of players that are going to help Luka get to the 2nd round, period end of story. Getting to the 2nd round is a big milestone in his career and the Mavs growth as a team in the Luka era. It also probably means Mavs were able to be a top 5 seed which is good. Not making to playoffs or losing in the first round will be a huge negative and add a lot of FUD on the whole Luka situation. That is how this year's moves should be evaluated.

Luka has already been MVP in taking his team to second-most prestigious league in the world. Yes, Americans don't care about that, but he's not American. I very much doubt Luka gives a flying f*** about 'making it out of the first round'. Anything less than a championship is always going to be falling short for him.

There's no question that Dallas has to sell him that they have a strategy (and the ability to carry out that strategy) to build a contender around him. What is in question is a) how patient Luka is willing to be if he thinks the team is moving in the right direction; b) how much Luka cares about one ring vs contending for multiple rings; and c) how much Luka cares about being the guy who gets the ring (Giannis, Dirk) vs being a guy on a team that gets a ring (Durant, Davis).
Like Reply
(07-29-2021, 11:48 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: A small difference from the 90/3 our friend from the north allegedly wants.

I’m curious about the term “allegedly wants”.  Not busting your chops, but I’m wondering if we’ve actually seen that from his camp (certainly possible I missed it).  I recall at the TDL his agent saying his market was 2 @ $25mm per.  I’ve seen speculation that things “might” get more expensive with New Orleans clearing space (and it might).  I’ve also seen it suggested a team like the Pelicans might have to over-pay compared to Dallas or Miami (which also rings true).

We’ve seen a huge number of posts that just jumped right to $30mm as the price tag (and seemingly added a year also).  Is that a board-wide presumption?  Or, did I miss the memo somewhere?  To me, the advantage of Lowry and THJ having the same agent is he can work both sides to come up with ways to make this a win for everyone.  At some point there is an amount or method that doesn’t work and might harm both clients.
[-] The following 4 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • fifteenth, Hogmelon, KillerLeft, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(07-29-2021, 12:15 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I’m curious about the term “allegedly wants”.  Not busting your chops, but I’m wondering if we’ve actually seen that from his camp (certainly possible I missed it).  I recall at the TDL his agent saying his market was 2 @ $25mm per.  I’ve seen speculation that things “might” get more expensive with New Orleans clearing space (and it might).  I’ve also seen it suggested a team like the Pelicans might have to over-pay compared to Dallas or Miami (which also rings true).

We’ve seen a huge number of posts that just jumped right to $30mm as the price tag (and seemingly added a year also).  Is that a board-wide presumption?  Or, did I miss the memo somewhere?  To me, the advantage of Lowry and THJ having the same agent is he can work both sides to come up with ways to make this a win for everyone.  At some point there is an amount or method that doesn’t work and might harm both clients.

My guess would be that it is NO driving his price up. Their trade allows them to pay him 30 mil and operate over the cap. I think this has huge positive value for them which they will not let go.
Like Reply
(07-29-2021, 11:58 AM)loki Wrote: I like Lowry. He has excellent BBQ.

He has a solid foundation but I wouldn't call him fat.  Stout.
Like Reply
(07-29-2021, 12:48 PM)cow Wrote: He has a solid foundation but I wouldn't call him fat.  Stout.

I thought maybe he sells BBQ from his food truck
Like Reply
(07-29-2021, 12:53 PM)fifteenth Wrote: I thought maybe he sells BBQ from his food truck

Shouldn't it be cheesesteaks?
Like Reply