Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MAVERICKS 110, HEAT 125
(11-03-2021, 02:22 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I disagree, and I have roughly 158,253,00 guaranteed reasons it's more unfortunate for us than it is for him. His problems are mostly behind him, at this point. Ours aren't even halfway to being solved.

Touché, lol.
Like Reply
(11-03-2021, 12:52 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: The visceral takeaway for me from this game was just the reality check of watching a really good team calling attention to the fact that our roster just isn't good enough to compete with the best. I realize we already suspected that, but this match just left no doubt. 

Looking at all of Miami's versatile, high-quality weapons on both ends of the court, it just brought home that there is only so far that coaching schemes and player improvements on the margin can take the Mavs. If they truly want to compete for a championship, they are in desperate need of better players. Plural. They're not one piece away. As I saw it, anyway. 

I think the evidence tends to support the theory that Cuban either (1) is pretty okay with having a good, fun, reasonably priced team that fans come to watch but isn't really built to be a contender, or possibly more likely, (2) would prefer to build a championship team, but does not know how to do that and doesn't even know that he doesn't know.

I don't think this roster is in serious danger of becoming a lottery team, in the absence of some kind of horrible injury luck. But I think they are almost as far from being a contender as they are from being a lottery team. Hopefully, either I will be proved wrong, or the front office will somehow stumble into some lucky breaks improving the roster. They're due!

1. Haha.
2. I wish they were as close to a championship as they are to the lottery, cause that would mean we are playing at least in game seven of the West finals.

Our pt. differential is truly spectacular. The records of the seven teams with the worst pt. diff.

1-6
1-6
2-6
1-7
1-6
4-3
2-5

Big Grin
Like Reply
(11-03-2021, 04:37 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Our pt. differential is truly spectacular. The records of the seven teams with the worst pt. diff.

1-6
1-6
2-6
1-7
1-6
4-3
2-5
I get the dark humor in the situation, lol. 

I am partly laughing because I really don't think they are anywhere near as bad as the 7-game point differential would suggest. But you never know! Maybe they are! Hope not!
Like Reply
(11-03-2021, 04:48 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: I get the dark humor in the situation, lol. 

I am partly laughing because I really don't think they are anywhere near as bad as the 7-game point differential would suggest. But you never know! Maybe they are! Hope not!

It doesn´t really matter, whether we finish 6th or 9th. The reality is this roster is nowhere near good enough to compete for a championship and there is no clear path to contention. This roster is in need of a major overhaul and an actual PLAN.

Look at who should be here at the start of the 2022 season.

Luka 35.7
[THJ 19.6]
[Kleber 9.3]
DFS 7.6 (caphold)
Brunson 3.4 (caphold)
Ntilikina 2.0
Brown 1.8

That´s it. Now you go to work and clean out all the deadwood. If you keep THJ/Kleber you still got 35M in capspace. 

The Kings and Magic are two desperate franchises that would probably be willing to listen to Porzingis trade proposals and they have two young bigs that need a change of scenery, too. You get either Bamba or Bagley via trade. Go after the other and Cam Reddish in free agency.

That´s three top 10 picks under the age of 25, that are primed to break out on different teams. Reddish and Bamba are already starting to ball out, but the Hawks and Magic will struggle to go far above the MLE to retain them next summer.

Porzingis contract runs through 2024. Luka can opt out in 2026. That basically means, if the Mavs foolishly continue down this Porzingis path, they´ll have exactly 12 months (2024-2025) to fix it all, until Luka starts to demand a trade with the threat of 2026.

Aim for the best offer, but it simply does not matter what Porzingis returns in a trade. They need to get him off the books. Plain and simple.
Like Reply
(11-03-2021, 05:22 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Aim for the best offer, but it simply does not matter what Porzingis returns in a trade. They need to get him off the books. Plain and simple.
I don't have much information about how much demand there is for KP around the league. I could imagine that it might cost a pretty penny to dump him. But I assume, at some price, it would be doable.
Like Reply
I think people were too hard on the coach the past few years, and now I think people are being just a little bit too hard on the roster. I think the roster is in the sweet spot where it's good enough for experienced coaching to elevate it and not good enough to overcome inexperienced coaching. 

Having said that, I'm into some of the things Kidd is trying, and I'm starting to get more optimistic about how this thing will look 20-30 games in. It's just going to take a while. A new coach is almost never the answer if the goal is to look better immediately, so we shouldn't be surprised that a young team with a youngish coach isn't firing on all cylinders yet.

Plus, Miami might legitimately have a chance to be the best team in the NBA right now, so there's that.

Everyone needs to calm down just a tad.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • mvossman
Like Reply
I think everyone realizes that Rick was a good coach and I think a lot of us realized it was time, or past time, for him to go.  

The roster is a lottery team without Luka and with him, has little chance at contention.  In my estimation, stuck in the middle is the worst place to be especially considering Cuban's track record of late.
Like Reply