Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
2021-2022 AROUND the NBA: GSW Champs [ARCHIVED]
(07-23-2021, 09:51 AM)BasketballJones41 Wrote: Short of one or both of them taking ridiculous pay cuts, there’s not actually any way for the Lakers to make that happen is there?

Agree. If they demand 50 mil together, they would need to trade everyone but LeBron/AD and sign only vet min and I am not sure if they could stay under hard cap. So than there is the question - do you go to Lakers for 15 mil if there is someone else offering you 25?
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • BasketballJones41
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/thenbacentral/status...06213?s=21

(07-23-2021, 09:53 AM)omahen Wrote: Agree. If they demand 50 mil together, they would need to trade everyone but LeBron/AD and sign only vet min and I am not sure if they could stay under hard cap. So than there is the question - do you go to Lakers for 15 mil if there is someone else offering you 25?
I really think that Lowery to the heat is almost written in stone if in fact they really do want him and are willing to pay him. It seems like that’s where he really wants to be. I do think DeRozan is going to end up with one of the LA teams.
Like Reply
(07-23-2021, 09:51 AM)BasketballJones41 Wrote: Short of one or both of them taking ridiculous pay cuts, there’s not actually any way for the Lakers to make that happen is there?

Teams find ways of making things happen, especially the Lakers.
Like Reply
(07-23-2021, 11:26 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Teams find ways of making things happen, especially the Lakers.
and Heat.

Man I hope this new group moves in that direction more!

Plan NO powder!
Like Reply
Plan Tampering should be our new strategy...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
[-] The following 2 users Like ClutchDirk's post:
  • ItsGoTime, Paul Gasol
Like Reply
(07-23-2021, 11:26 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Teams find ways of making things happen, especially the Lakers.

I have no idea how much (if any S&T flexibility they have). I could totally see the Spurs being interested in Kuzma/Harrell for DeRozan or Toronto go for a TNT/KCP package. Schroeder is also in the mix for a three teamer. No doubt the Lakers have the contract assets to make it happen. Just don´t know about the trade legality of some of them.
Like Reply
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1000...raft-picks
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(07-22-2021, 08:04 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status...2794205184
I have no idea why there is any single player in the NBA that hasn't been working on the 3pt shot for years now.
Like Reply

Probably some complicated sign and trades where the Lakers send away even more of their depth for them but honestly it's a long shot.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(07-22-2021, 04:45 PM)cow Wrote: Powell and KP are sunk costs and the team still needs help at the position.  I'm not saying it is the first call I'd make, but I don't hate the idea of MH.  Luka might though.

They may be sunk costs, but why triple down on a big that can't play defense?
Like Reply
(07-23-2021, 12:15 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1000...raft-picks

Would you do KP for Wiggins and both of those picks? I think I probably would. Don't think the Warriors do that, but (shrug).
Like Reply
(07-23-2021, 01:29 PM)mvossman Wrote: They may be sunk costs, but why triple down on a big that can't play defense?

He cleans the glass.  It would be for a year.  He's not my first or third choice but I don't really want JRich on the team either.
Like Reply
(07-23-2021, 01:31 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Would you do KP for Wiggins and both of those picks?

sucks how much KP's value has deteriorated
If we could just get the 14th I'd probably take that and run before he blows something else out. The 7th would be a hard yes and I've long been a Wiggins hater
Like Reply
(07-23-2021, 01:31 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Would you do KP for Wiggins and both of those picks? I think I probably would. Don't think the Warriors do that, but (shrug).

For both?  Sure.
Just for 7?  Maybe.
Just for 14?  No.
Like Reply
(07-23-2021, 01:38 PM)Jym Wrote: sucks how much KP's value has deteriorated

that's one of the reasons not to trade him, imo

If Kidd really is excited about trying to get the most out of him then I think you ride that and either find that he's a keeper, or increase his trade value if you think he has another injury coming, or think you can get something better
[-] The following 2 users Like fifteenth's post:
  • ClutchDirk, Paul Gasol
Like Reply
(07-23-2021, 01:31 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Would you do KP for Wiggins and both of those picks? I think I probably would. Don't think the Warriors do that, but (shrug).

I absolutely wouldn't. The logic behind it doesn't make sense to me. Warriors are a western conference rival that are trying to get back to where they were in the playoffs.

If they targeted KP for that package then that means 
1) they don't think there is anyone at 7 & 14 that can help them next year. 
2) they don't think they can be competitive with Wiggins.
3) they DO think that KP is good enough to make them contenders again with their core thus vaulting them from 8th to out of the play-in.

Which means the Mavs (who were BETTER than the warriors this year), has a player that is GOOD for winning basketball games. It makes ZERO sense to take a step back and trade KP for a rebuilding package. 

And before you say we can use 7 and 14 to trade for another impact player.... 

If that was the case then why didn't the Warriors do it themselves? If they didn't it means that KP was the best they could get. Which means the Mavs would be taking back probably a worse player than KP in any 7&14 trade. 

KP isn't getting traded. His value is too nebulous right now around the league. And what I think is really the nail in the coffin in any potential KP deal is that his role with the Mavs is also up in the air. Can't trade when you don't know what you have.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • DallasMaverick, From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(07-23-2021, 01:45 PM)fifteenth Wrote: that's one of the reasons not to trade him, imo

If Kidd really is excited about trying to get the most out of him then I think you ride that and either find that he's a keeper, or increase his trade value if you think he has another injury coming, or think you can get something better

Possibility a bad mentality to have but I feel like this is the point where there's some ambiguity on how good he'll be going forward.  
Future meh-ness really will destroy what value he has left and you'll be left giving up assets if you want him gone. Or if he bounces back, it'll make sense to just keep him. 
Something of a who-knows now. I feel like at this point next year he'll be more solidly categorized 
I won't be too disappointed if we just ride it and see what happens
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jym's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
I'm still pretty solidly in the "trade KP now" camp for two reasons:

1) we don't have a high enough talent quotient right now to survive another (and probably near-career-ending, and certainly career-tanking) major KP injury and have him become an outright untradeable $30M anchor. Let some other franchise with more flexibility take that risk.
2) if JC is our prime target, then you need to get a center who fits with him, which isn't KP. Holmes, another one of our major targets, doesn't fit either.

If JC stays in Atlanta or goes to the Spurs, then of course #2 is moot.
Like Reply

Of course. 100%. That would be like a free out of jail card. Mitchell&Wiggins for perimeter defense and Sengun as a worst case Valanciunas.
Like Reply
(07-23-2021, 02:12 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: 1) we don't have a high enough talent quotient right now to survive another (and probably near-career-ending, and certainly career-tanking) major KP injury and have him become an outright untradeable $30M anchor. Let some other franchise with more flexibility take that risk.

One could clame he is that anchor you are describing at this point already. In that case it will be easier to trade next season as there will be 30 mil less on his deal.
Like Reply