Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 4 Average
2021-2022 ROSTER TALK: [ARCHIVED]
(07-23-2021, 11:25 AM)michaeltex Wrote: Not to highlight my ignorance here, but why is THJ's caphold so high ($28MM+) when he was just making $18MM+ this year? I went to CBAFAQ.com and my eyes glazed over after about 30 seconds.

Luka's goes from ~$10MM to ~$25MM after next year, but that's a supermax contract. THJ ain't Luka.

I'd like to think that Holmes and Collins would be great adds for next season, but there still needs to be spacers available and I don't know if any of the rookies are up to it.

In THJ`s case it is 150% of his salary. He made more than the average player salary and qualifies as a full bird rights free agent.
In Luka´s case it would be 250% of his salary. Finishes last year of his rookie contract and makes more than the average salary.
Like Reply
(07-23-2021, 11:07 AM)mvossman Wrote: Another guy you should have in the young guys list is Normal Powell.  It will be difficult to pry him away from Portland unless they blow it up

He is a free agent, so it is "just" a matter of convincing him he will be better of in Dallas. Losing him would be a severe blow to Portland plans. I wonder what could we get from them just to give them a trade exception, yet alone a useful player.
Like Reply
OK  Guess I'll come out of the browse mode and make a post.
Like several on here, I'd love Kawahi, and (even) Collins. but I think it's very, very unlikely they are going to leave their current team (they may use the opportunity to squeeze some things from LAC & ATL, but they will stay.

I think there are ways to improve the team (keep Luca happy) and save the "all-in" for a year or two.   I would try to leverage the situation of RC being at IND.  (know he isn't THE  decision maker, but he must be an influencer.)   I would try to send RC two of his favs -- S/T THJ @20M + Kleeber @8.3M  for Warren @12M + Turner @18M.   Warren gives you a true SF who is 18ppg capable (THJ scoring replacement) and is capable as a defender.  KP and Turner are (in some fashion) your C & PF.  DFS is your first off the bench wing.  Still have WCS & DP as backup bigs.
On the FA market, sign Reggie Jackson (can we get him for about 11-13M?).  I think that he is the best "truly available" shooter-defense-playmaking guard.  (Yes, he may be a bit of a quack, but Nelson said you need one "crazy" on your team to be good).  Still have our backups.   Add to the team with the remainder of our cap on short term contracts (Dragic on a pay cut?), or possibly Robinson?
My 2c.
[-] The following 2 users Like duboh7's post:
  • ClutchDirk, MFFL
Like Reply
(07-23-2021, 12:15 PM)duboh7 Wrote: save the "all-in" for a year or two.

I really don't get this mindset 
People were saying that 2 years ago and we see how weak the champion was this year. Nothing really special about the Suns or Bucks. An all-in then and we're right around that same level 
Push off team-building too much and you'll run the risk of running up against a truly unbeatable team
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jym's post:
  • mvossman
Like Reply
(07-23-2021, 12:35 PM)Jym Wrote: I really don't get this mindset 
People were saying that 2 years ago and we see how weak the champion was this year. Nothing really special about the Suns or Bucks. An all-in then and we're right around that same level 
Push off team-building too much and you'll run the risk of running up against a truly unbeatable team

OK.  Maybe I mis-worded what I really meant.  I started with my opinion that KL & JC  will not be available to us, and offered my opinion on how we could improve while waiting for that Sammy Superstar.
Your points are valid.  But what do you propose if we can't get a superstar this year?
Like Reply
(07-23-2021, 12:45 PM)duboh7 Wrote: OK.  Maybe I mis-worded what I really meant.  I started with my opinion that KL & JC  will not be available to us, and offered my opinion on how we could improve while waiting for that Sammy Superstar.
Your points are valid.  But what do you propose if we can't get a superstar this year?

You go down the list of folks you want until you hit (preferably with tampering so the list walk is prior to start of free agency).  Cuban has been in plan powder mode since 2011 and the new hires seem specifically targeted to recruiting free agents.  There are more options than KL and JC.  They could money whip Conley or Ball or DeRozan.  It will be much harder to go this route after Luka extension, so this is it.  There may be trades involved, but if you are proposing a trade that you would do in a second, then its probably not a trade that is going to happen.

(07-23-2021, 11:57 AM)omahen Wrote: He is a free agent, so it is "just" a matter of convincing him he will be better of in Dallas. Losing him would be a severe blow to Portland plans. I wonder what could we get from them just to give them a trade exception, yet alone a useful player.

It would be an easy way to dump JRich.  He would be useful to them as a versatile defender, and maybe his offensive issues are not as much an issue with them.
Like Reply
(07-23-2021, 12:45 PM)duboh7 Wrote: But what do you propose if we can't get a superstar this year?

That's for sure where I fall short. I don't know the exact best way to approach team-building at the moment. Inaction at this past trade deadline really hamstrung our options and backed us into a corner. I don't envy Nico at all 
I guess it's more the mentality of how they're approaching the summer I'm most concerned about. I want a future-be-damned-we-should-try-to-win-now approach to this
I'm especially fine with this with how short contracts are now. You don't really get locked in quite as hard as you did back in the day when contracts were 6 or 7 years
Like Reply
(07-23-2021, 09:11 AM)vfromlmf Wrote: The Athletic published a good article yesterday describing the downside of Luka's quick ascendance. He was simply too good, too fast, so Dallas never had the opportunity to build around him with high draft picks. Trading their picks for a guy like KP was really the best move available to them.

I'd argue the Mavs have another problem -- Luka's age. Teams that win in the playoffs are generally full of seasoned vets. Thirty-something guys who know how to play. But Luka is only 22 and his generation of top players are still locked into their teams on rookie deals. Guys like DeRozan, Conley, Lowry, Green are much more likely to want to play on a veteran-led team like the Lakers.

Yes!

I have tried to make both of these points around here for like a year straight.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status...3133322240
Like Reply
I will say....

DREAM scenario would be...

1) Kawhi for KP sign and trade 

AND 

2) JC sign and trade. 

Luka+JC can hold down the fort for a year waiting on Kawhi to get healthy.
[-] The following 5 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • AgGiE1991, ItsGoTime, KillerLeft, Okstate819, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
I guess I'm in the minority on KL.  Not sure he would fit my "team" concept.  He can be contrary (when he doesn't get his way), thin skinned, injury prone, high strung, and high maintenance.  Certainly KL is generally a superior talent, but what the hell, this is just my opinion.  I would much rather have PG.

On the other hand I think JC would be a great team addition with Luka.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ballsrchr's post:
  • Paul Gasol
Like Reply
(07-23-2021, 03:38 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I will say....

DREAM scenario would be...

1) Kawhi for KP sign and trade 

AND 

2) JC sign and trade. 

Luka+JC can hold down the fort for a year waiting on Kawhi to get healthy.

That way Luka can win a championship without Kawhi first and then a couple with him
[-] The following 1 user Likes fifteenth's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(07-23-2021, 05:13 PM)ballsrchr Wrote: I guess I'm in the minority on KL.  Not sure he would fit my "team" concept.  He can be contrary (when he doesn't get his way), thin skinned, injury prone, high strung, and high maintenance.  Certainly KL is generally a superior talent, but what the hell, this is just my opinion.  I would much rather have PG.

On the other hand I think JC would be a great team addition with Luka.

If KL wants to sign here you do it.  In the worst possible scenario, you can easily trade him.
Like Reply
(07-23-2021, 10:29 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: No they simply screwed up the year before. If they had drafted Tatum, Ball, Markkanen, Isaac or Fox everything would be fine, but they had to get cute, rise from the top odds in January to 8th and screw up the pick, too.

Honestly you can chalk it up to bad lottery luck too. Yeah they could have done better in tanking in various years. But they were tied for the record with the Hawks in 2018 and tied with the Pelicans and Grizzlies in 2019. They lost the same # of games as the teams who had better luck. 

2019 you would have kept your pick... But you still wouldn't have been at the top of the draft. Now I'd love to have one of those players in the 2019 draft, some solid guys... but the real prize was Ja and Zion and there is no scenario where losing the exact # of games to win the lottery is known. We'd have better assets at least.

Also 2017 they could have taken Donovan Mitchell too. But they may still trade any of those guys for KP when he popped up as available.
Like Reply
(07-23-2021, 06:12 PM)cow Wrote: If KL wants to sign here you do it.  In the worst possible scenario, you can easily trade him.

He would make sure you won´t get beck enough to cover your opportunity cost.

He´ll sign a 3yr-but 3rd year is a PO-deal. 

Even if we get back something worth anything it will sour the players on us for going rouge like that.

Don´t get me wrong, if you are desperate, you don´t blink before signing him, he is that talented. But if you have something you want to build around you must be aware of him blowing everything up.

Just look at what he would have done to the Clips, if he leaves now.
Like Reply
(07-24-2021, 01:55 AM)Mapka Wrote: He´ll sign a 3yr-but 3rd year is a PO-deal. 

A 2+1 would be awfully disadvantageous for the Mavs, nor is there any real benefit for Kawhi either in a shorter deal (unless you theorize he's wanting to come to Dallas but doesn't really want to be here -- which is totally contradictory).

It makes way more sense that he'll sign a 3+1, with someone.

Kawhi, if he's committed enough to move, would WANT there to be Bird rights at the end of the deal, to avoid having contract limits at the end if he wants to sign again. In addition, players sidelined by major injury tend to want the security of the most money possible, just in case. And there's no max-category step up, as he's already at the top 35% level. Nor do the league revenues look like there's going to be much of a cap jump anytime soon (instead, there's still some payback owed), which means there's no incentive to jump back in the free agent pool anytime soon.
Like Reply
(07-24-2021, 06:20 AM)F Gump Wrote: A 2+1 would be awfully disadvantageous for the Mavs, nor is there any real benefit for Kawhi either in a shorter deal (unless you theorize he's wanting to come to Dallas but doesn't really want to be here -- which is totally contradictory).

It makes way more sense that he'll sign a 3+1, with someone.

Kawhi, if he's committed enough to move, would WANT there to be Bird rights at the end of the deal, to avoid having contract limits at the end if he wants to sign again. In addition, players sidelined by major injury tend to want the security of the most money possible, just in case. And there's no max-category step up, as he's already at the top 35% level. Nor do the league revenues look like there's going to be much of a cap jump anytime soon (instead, there's still some payback owed), which means there's no incentive to jump back in the free agent pool anytime soon.

As you said it's awfully disadvantageous to the Mavs, and Kawhi is the one having the advantage.
He took this deal with the Clipps, KD took this kind of contract with GSW.
And he might be in a better situation for his last BIG deal in two years than in three.

By the way his early-bird, or even non-bird-rights will cover his next max.
Like Reply
For those who are a no on KL, see Tom Brady’s quote from earlier this week.
Like Reply
(07-24-2021, 07:41 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: For those who are a no on KL, see Tom Brady’s quote from earlier this week.
I'm not a no on Killerleft. I'm on Killerleft island!
[-] The following 3 users Like ItsGoTime's post:
  • cjeter24, fifteenth, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(07-24-2021, 07:23 AM)Mapka Wrote: As you said it's awfully disadvantageous to the Mavs, and Kawhi is the one having the advantage.  He took this deal with the Clipps, KD took this kind of contract with GSW.
And he might be in a better situation for his last BIG deal in two years than in three. 

I said it was disadvantageous to the Mavs in a "this way vs the alternative" point. They would be better off in their roster-building plans with the longer deal. But it would also be to KL's benefit to do the longer deal. The point was, the shorter deal is disadvantageous for BOTH parties.

...You make it into some sort of animus between the Mavs and Kawhi, where he's pushing for a shorter deal to somehow spite them. As I noted, that is contradictory, because he won't sign here in the first place if he doesn't decide he likes what they are offering. 

Yes, sometimes players do shorter deals than the max length possible, but it is ALWAYS in the context of timing for when it's best to be a free agent again. His deal with the Clipps - it was set up to end the moment he hit the 35% max tier. There was a reason. This time, there's no compelling reason for him to want a shorter-than-full-length deal guaranteed, and definite reasons (an added $~50M guaranteed no matter what) why he is more likely to prefer longer.
Like Reply