Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Anyone else concerned about Porzingis?
Some of Porzingis problems are just physics. You need to stop comparing him to Dirk. They have completely different bodies.  Porzingis might be the most nimble and strong giraffe in the animal kingdom ever, but when he´s trying to shove a hippo or chase down a rabbit making cut-backs, there are just physical limitations to it.
Like Reply
(11-13-2019, 02:09 AM)mavsluvr Wrote:
(11-12-2019, 11:50 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: So ya I am concerned. He does look like he's lost. I do agree he's better when he just has to shoot. I don't understand why they don't set off-ball screens for him. I thought that was a big part of his game and would let him just shoot open jumpers. At this point, until he gets comfortable I would like to see more sets that just get him open shots. Even if he's missing them (such as open 3s) they usually start falling after a while. His other parts of his game just aren't there right now and they shouldn't try to force it too much.

Another thought, I wonder if Mavs are eventually going to punt on the idea of KP being a full-time center. He may just play better along side a more traditional big. We have seen him play well with Boban. KP at the 5 creates all kinds of space which is nice but then I think it might be negatively affecting his overall game.
KP has made it very clear that he has no interest in playing center, so they are using him mostly as a PF with another big. I assume that he is willing to play some center if they need him to. 

Carlisle talked about KP some on the Lowe post today. Zach asked him why they don't run more Luka-KP pick and rolls. Rick said that such a strategy was likely to lead the opponent to switch, which could result in isolation play, slowing the game down, which was undesirable. Zach brought up Carlisle's use of the switching strategy in San Antonio in their last 7-game series, which was successful in drawing the Spurs into a series of isolation plays as a possible example of what Carlisle was talking about. (FWIW, not sure i'm totally buying Carlisle's reason. Maybe just coach speak for letting us know that he doesn't want KP posting up very much, for whatever reason. In this regard, Phil Jackson, suspecting that KP's ceiling might be lower than a franchise player, noted his difficulties posting up.)

Zach also asked if spotting KP up marginalized him in the offense. Carlisle said they are working on getting him integrated, and it's a work in progress.

So Mavs are kind of playing him center in that they are playing other PF/center hybrids next to him. So what I am saying is instead of basically playing 2 PFs Mavs might punt on that idea and get a Steven Adams tyoe in there next to him.
Like Reply
In that interview (re KP) it sounds like Rick doesn't want to share all that he's thinking and what they're planning with KP. That makes sense. No reason to say "well, we're not doing that because KP isn't good at it right now".

Rick has to get to know KP's game and come up with ways to put KP in situations to succeed. This may take a bit of time.
Like Reply
We have KP locked up for 5 years. He'll figure it out at some point. Obviously I prefer him to figure it out this season though. Realistically, we're not competing for a title this season or next, but a playoff push is for the most part expected. I think we can make the playoffs with the way KP is playing now. He hasn't been to consistent but he has had good games. We don't really have cap flexibility until 2021 off-season I believe. We have time to figure KP out until we become serious about trying to win championships. 

My favorite thing about KP is his mentality. He is all about what's best for the team, he seems willing to try new things or sacrifice for the team, doesn't complain, etc. Its not like Rondo vs Rick. They'll figure it out. Kristaps put on a considerable amount of muscle since he last played for NYK, is traveling with the team every game now, is going through practices on top of games, etc. To me, it just looks like he's not comfortable in his new body yet. That can only improve with time. He's had really good games this season already and some bad ones, but that is bound to come with all the adjustments he has had to make. He's not a plug and play player, he needs an offense built around him, which again, will come over time once Rick fully knows how to integrate him while giving roles to all of our rotation guys. Its difficult to have certain expectations when nobody on the team aside from Luka and Maxi have clearly defined roles. Another thing is I think he's thinking too much when he has the ball. Often times when a player is in a slump, they over think everything they do and end up putting too soft of a touch on the ball, or they put too much force behind their shots, etc. When he was with the Knicks, he had the green light, so he was letting it rip unconsciously. His shot has looked a lot smoother when he gets the ball really late in the shot clock and is forced to toss it up, its must more natural. 

There are a lot of things that can be improved upon going forward. I wouldn't press the panic button on KP until maybe 35 games have gone by and he's shown no signs of improvement. Its silly to freak out after 10 games. The guy's still 24 and will get more comfortable over time. When he was drafted, Knicks fans booed him and didn't want him, he proved them wrong, gets injured several times, misses over a year of real game play, gets traded, changes up his whole body, and with that he's still shown good signs in 10 games. He'll get there.
Like Reply
(11-13-2019, 09:52 AM)StepBackJay Wrote:
(11-12-2019, 11:50 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: So ya I am concerned. He does look like he's lost. I do agree he's better when he just has to shoot. I don't understand why they don't set off-ball screens for him. I thought that was a big part of his game and would let him just shoot open jumpers. At this point, until he gets comfortable I would like to see more sets that just get him open shots. Even if he's missing them (such as open 3s) they usually start falling after a while. His other parts of his game just aren't there right now and they shouldn't try to force it too much.

Another thought, I wonder if Mavs are eventually going to punt on the idea of KP being a full-time center. He may just play better along side a more traditional big. We have seen him play well with Boban. KP at the 5 creates all kinds of space which is nice but then I think it might be negatively affecting his overall game.
KP has made it very clear that he has no interest in playing center, so they are using him mostly as a PF with another big. I assume that he is willing to play some center if they need him to. 

Carlisle talked about KP some on the Lowe post today. Zach asked him why they don't run more Luka-KP pick and rolls. Rick said that such a strategy was likely to lead the opponent to switch, which could result in isolation play, slowing the game down, which was undesirable. Zach brought up Carlisle's use of the switching strategy in San Antonio in their last 7-game series, which was successful in drawing the Spurs into a series of isolation plays as a possible example of what Carlisle was talking about. (FWIW, not sure i'm totally buying Carlisle's reason. Maybe just coach speak for letting us know that he doesn't want KP posting up very much, for whatever reason. In this regard, Phil Jackson, suspecting that KP's ceiling might be lower than a franchise player, noted his difficulties posting up.)

Zach also asked if spotting KP up marginalized him in the offense. Carlisle said they are working on getting him integrated, and it's a work in progress.

So Mavs are kind of playing him center in that they are playing other PF/center hybrids next to him. So what I am saying is instead of basically playing 2 PFs Mavs might punt on that idea and get a Steven Adams tyoe in there next to him.

Who is chasing all the small-ball and 3pt shooting fours around the perimeter? Dodgy

Porzingis is a center and if the Mavs have really sold him on the idea that he can be a PF here, then to quote Roddy Piper: "Just when they think they have the answers, I change the questions."

In other words they´ll have to make teams adjust to them and change the whole style of the NBA back to BIG BOYS ball.
Like Reply
(11-13-2019, 10:32 AM)Mavs2019 Wrote:

Who is chasing all the small-ball and 3pt shooting fours around the perimeter? Dodgy

Porzingis is a center and if the Mavs have really sold him on the idea that he can be a PF here, then to quote Roddy Piper: "Just when they think they have the answers, I change the questions."

In other words they´ll have to make teams adjust to them and change the whole style of the NBA back to BIG BOYS ball.

Great thoughts, Mavs are legitimately huge! Have you seen our roster? Yet we somehow manage to play very small in style.
Like Reply
(11-13-2019, 10:32 AM)Mavs2019 Wrote: Who is chasing all the small-ball and 3pt shooting fours around the perimeter? Dodgy

KP has already been in lineups where he is the center. I expect that will continue. I always wanted the DFS to play with KP and for Powell and Maxi to play together.
Like Reply
(11-13-2019, 11:05 AM)SportPsychMav Wrote:

Great thoughts, Mavs are legitimately huge! Have you seen our roster? Yet we somehow manage to play very small in style.

KP has played PF his whole career and moves pretty quick. Good at closing out on shooters. There's more negatives right now I am seeing to him playing center. I'd love to see the Mavs make a play for Steven Adams.

KP doesn't set screens and doesn't want to roll the basket. He is playing the 4 on offense as he always does but he looks lost to me. He has played well with Boban which makes me think he has a better idea what to do with a real center out there.
Like Reply
(11-13-2019, 11:07 AM)fifteenth Wrote:
(11-13-2019, 10:32 AM)Mavs2019 Wrote: Who is chasing all the small-ball and 3pt shooting fours around the perimeter? Dodgy

KP has already been in lineups where he is the center. I expect that will continue. I always wanted the DFS to play with KP and for Powell and Maxi to play together.

I don´t think it really matters whether it´s DFS or Kleber, as long as it is not Powell. There are various reasons for that.

1. Porzingis cannot defend PFs. He also needs to be under the basket to use his own shotblocking ability.

2. Porzingis cannot rim run, when Powell is there already and Luka is driving inside. Kleber and DFS will spread the floor in the corners.

3. Kleber and DFS are much better help and perimeter defenders than Powell.

4. Starting units are a lot more cohesive and skilled than benches, therefore reading the Powell lob plays much better.

5. Powell  is literally the perfect bench player. He´s smart enough to exploit lesser skilled and cohesive 2nd units.

First 3 games as a Maverick without Powell Porzingis averaged

26 PPG, 6 RPG, 3 APG, 3 BPG / 46% FG / 41% 3pt FG.

I don´t know about you guys, but he does that the next five years I´m good.

Carlisle already took Powell out of the S5 against Boston, and while it did not have the desired effect on Porzingis yet, Powell had his best game of the season (Point 5) 12 pts, 5 rebs and 3 asts with a +20 in a loss.
Like Reply

Ah, now I get it, thanks for clarifying. 

Positions have gotten a lot less well-defined than they used to be, and I think KP's stance is that what we think of as a traditional center is not his preferred position. So, if a traditional center is used in the lineup,  the team will generally make an effort to make sure that is not KP. Carlisle was saying in the interview that five out is the norm in the NBA now, and we see that he often doesn't use a big, burly center who hangs out at the basket. I think you are saying that they should reconsider that philosophy. Do I understand you correctly now?
Like Reply
(11-13-2019, 11:27 AM)StepBackJay Wrote:
(11-13-2019, 11:05 AM)SportPsychMav Wrote:
(11-13-2019, 02:09 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: KP has made it very clear that he has no interest in playing center, so they are using him mostly as a PF with another big. I assume that he is willing to play some center if they need him to. 

KP has played PF his whole career and moves pretty quick. Good at closing out on shooters. There's more negatives right now I am seeing to him playing center. I'd love to see the Mavs make a play for Steven Adams.

KP doesn't set screens and doesn't want to roll the basket. He is playing the 4 on offense as he always does but he looks lost to me. He has played well with Boban which makes me think he has a better idea what to do with a real center out there.

His quickness is not as good as it was prior to the injury. Probably will get better in the future but so far his pick and roll defense and inability to defend small ball 4s has been a problem and is a big reason why his defensive impact has been me mediocre.
Opponents are shooting -11% FG against him inside 6ft but +5% from 3. As long as he cannot defend the perimeter the best position for him on defense is center.

On offense he obviously prefers to play on the perimeter but that doesn´t mean that the Mavs desperately need a traditional 5 next to him. 5-out is a thing in the modern NBA. Problem is that is requires off ball movement, cuts and rim rolling to work properly. Right now it seems like the Mavs are trying to emulate the D´Anthony Rockets. Because KP is not an option in the pick and roll his role in the system is reduced and the only touches he gets are spot up jump shots. Something he obviously does not like. Instead of accepting the lack of touches he moves to the high post and starts to force things. He mentioned the lack of patience and tendency to force shots in the recent post game interview and it shows in the game.

His overall lack of rhythm and awkward positioning is the bigger problem. Lack of pick and roll and a focus on high post play lead to terrible spacing.
He likes to slip the screen and force a switch onto a smaller defender but isn´t able to do anything against smaller defenders. He still asks for the ball every single time after the switch leading to even worse spacing because he occupies the ellbow area.

Conclusion. KP should play center on defense. On offense the Mavs need to find ways to get him favorable touches. No post ups or ellbow isos. That requires KP to be more active off the ball and even more important as a ball screener and rim roller.
Like Reply
(11-13-2019, 10:28 AM)TheCustodian Wrote: We have KP locked up for 5 years. He'll figure it out at some point. Obviously I prefer him to figure it out this season though. Realistically, we're not competing for a title this season or next, but a playoff push is for the most part expected. I think we can make the playoffs with the way KP is playing now. He hasn't been to consistent but he has had good games. We don't really have cap flexibility until 2021 off-season I believe. We have time to figure KP out until we become serious about trying to win championships. 

My favorite thing about KP is his mentality. He is all about what's best for the team, he seems willing to try new things or sacrifice for the team, doesn't complain, etc. Its not like Rondo vs Rick. They'll figure it out. Kristaps put on a considerable amount of muscle since he last played for NYK, is traveling with the team every game now, is going through practices on top of games, etc. To me, it just looks like he's not comfortable in his new body yet. That can only improve with time. He's had really good games this season already and some bad ones, but that is bound to come with all the adjustments he has had to make. He's not a plug and play player, he needs an offense built around him, which again, will come over time once Rick fully knows how to integrate him while giving roles to all of our rotation guys. Its difficult to have certain expectations when nobody on the team aside from Luka and Maxi have clearly defined roles. Another thing is I think he's thinking too much when he has the ball. Often times when a player is in a slump, they over think everything they do and end up putting too soft of a touch on the ball, or they put too much force behind their shots, etc. When he was with the Knicks, he had the green light, so he was letting it rip unconsciously. His shot has looked a lot smoother when he gets the ball really late in the shot clock and is forced to toss it up, its must more natural. 

There are a lot of things that can be improved upon going forward. I wouldn't press the panic button on KP until maybe 35 games have gone by and he's shown no signs of improvement. Its silly to freak out after 10 games. The guy's still 24 and will get more comfortable over time. When he was drafted, Knicks fans booed him and didn't want him, he proved them wrong, gets injured several times, misses over a year of real game play, gets traded, changes up his whole body, and with that he's still shown good signs in 10 games. He'll get there.
In fairness, I wouldn't say that we're "freaking out." Having said that, you make some very good points. And when KP ultimately gets it together, his current challenges will likely fade from memory. 

I think the main risk with KP is whether he can stay healthy, not whether he is able and willing to eventually make a substantial contribution on the court on a consistent basis. It's just interesting to see how he and Rick work to make that a reality in the case of this unique and unconventional player. 

Thanks for the thoughts.

From a defensive positioning perspective, KP seems to be more effective protecting the rim than dealing with the ball flying around the perimeter. But he is capable of closing out, and to an extent, that's something big guys have to deal with in today's guard-oriented play.
Like Reply
(11-13-2019, 11:38 AM)Mavs2019 Wrote:
(11-13-2019, 11:07 AM)fifteenth Wrote:

I don´t think it really matters whether it´s DFS or Kleber, as long as it is not Powell. There are various reasons for that.

1. Porzingis cannot defend PFs. He also needs to be under the basket to use his own shotblocking ability.

2. Porzingis cannot rim run, when Powell is there already and Luka is driving inside. Kleber and DFS will spread the floor in the corners.

3. Kleber and DFS are much better help and perimeter defenders than Powell.

4. Starting units are a lot more cohesive and skilled than benches, therefore reading the Powell lob plays much better.

5. Powell is literally the perfect bench player. He´s smart enough to exploit lesser skilled and cohesive 2nd units.

First 3 games as a Maverick without Powell Porzingis averaged

26 PPG, 6 RPG, 3 APG, 3 BPG / 46% FG / 41% 3pt FG.

I don´t know about you guys, but he does that the next five years I´m good.

Carlisle already took Powell out of the S5 against Boston, and while it did not have the desired effect on Porzingis yet, Powell had his best game of the season (Point 5) 12 pts, 5 rebs and 3 asts with a +20 in a loss.

It's great analyses like this that make this board worthwhile. Thank you.
Like Reply
(11-13-2019, 11:07 AM)fifteenth Wrote: KP has already been in lineups where he is the center. I expect that will continue. I always wanted the DFS to play with KP and for Powell and Maxi to play together.

Why did I call him "The DFS"? That's strange.
Like Reply