Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Anyone else concerned about Porzingis?
I wouldn't say concerned but he needs to stop taking mid range 2s.  It's a low efficiency shot and he's particularly good at it.
Like Reply
He got pulled in the last 2 mins for trying to ISO when everyone was clearing space. You could see on the first play he turned it over that Delon Wright was incredibly reluctant to pass him the ball, as though he was completely confused why KP was looking for an entry pass, like he either expected KP to set a pick or clear out like everyone else. Interesting comments after the game where KP straight refuted Ricks comments on why he was pulled.
Like Reply
(10-26-2019, 10:38 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: he needs to stop taking mid range 2s.  It's a low efficiency shot

https://shottracker.com/articles/are-the...vant-again
Like Reply
(10-27-2019, 06:52 AM)Dundalis Wrote: He got pulled in the last 2 mins for trying to ISO when everyone was clearing space. You could see on the first play he turned it over that Delon Wright was incredibly reluctant to pass him the ball, as though he was completely confused why KP was looking for an entry pass, like he either expected KP to set a pick or clear out like everyone else. 

I think you're reading a lot into two new teammates running a play in crunchtime.  I'm also guilty of projecting my own biases into the situation, as I assumed the bad foul he took after that play was from him being gassed.  Just as likely a reason that he was pulled is that New Orleans elected to play Ingram at center late to essentially force KP off the floor defensively.  Maybe we should all just acknowledge that it was the right decision, the team won, and KP made a point to NOT complain about it.  Sometimes fans have a habit of manufacturing drama where it doesn't belong.
Like Reply
(10-27-2019, 09:58 AM)vfromlmf Wrote:
(10-26-2019, 10:38 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: he needs to stop taking mid range 2s.  It's a low efficiency shot

https://shottracker.com/articles/are-the...vant-again

now tell me what KP is shooting on those shots this year and for his career

Look, I love KP.  But it's ok to address his weaknesses.  He has a career true shooting percentage that resembles more Kyle Kuzma and THJ than an elite shooter.  The reason is because he takes a lot of 15-22 foot jump shoots.  He isn't Dirk.  He would become a way more efficient player overnight if he just stopped taking those "bad shots."
Like Reply
(10-27-2019, 06:52 AM)Dundalis Wrote: He got pulled in the last 2 mins for trying to ISO when everyone was clearing space. You could see on the first play he turned it over that Delon Wright was incredibly reluctant to pass him the ball, as though he was completely confused why KP was looking for an entry pass, like he either expected KP to set a pick or clear out like everyone else. Interesting comments after the game where KP straight refuted Ricks comments on why he was pulled.

I don't think KP wants to admit he is tired. I remember him getting so much smack when he was with the Knicks when he said that... ALthough it was 1/3 into the season and after a back-to-back...
Like Reply
(10-27-2019, 03:29 PM)Horzyngis Wrote:
(10-27-2019, 06:52 AM)Dundalis Wrote: He got pulled in the last 2 mins for trying to ISO when everyone was clearing space. You could see on the first play he turned it over that Delon Wright was incredibly reluctant to pass him the ball, as though he was completely confused why KP was looking for an entry pass, like he either expected KP to set a pick or clear out like everyone else. Interesting comments after the game where KP straight refuted Ricks comments on why he was pulled.

I don't think KP wants to admit he is tired. I remember him getting so much smack when he was with the Knicks when he said that... ALthough it was 1/3 into the season and after a back-to-back...

Both Luka and Zinger looked visibly tired at the start of the Pelicans game. I'm not sure about their sleeping habits  Rolleyes
Like Reply
He's been better than I ever could have hoped coming off a 18 month layoff and still just scratching the surface of his 2 man game with Luka.  Especially on the defensive end, where his presence in the paint is a factor in these games.
Like Reply
(10-28-2019, 08:31 AM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: just scratching the surface of his 2 man game with Luka

I read Luka only assisted on one Porzingis bucket in the first two games. 

He had five last night.

This thing is just going to get better and better.
Like Reply
(10-28-2019, 08:31 AM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: He's been better than I ever could have hoped coming off a 18 year layoff and still just scratching the surface of his 2 man game with Luka.  Especially on the defensive end, where his presence in the paint is a factor in these games.

20 months away, over 600 days between regular season games, being new to a team full of players that are new to one another ..... For me, it's fine to discuss nuance and dissect areas but to have concern, after 3 games, when the player is averaging 26/6/3 & the team has gone 2-1? Not a chance. 

As one of the folks that predicted little to no rust on Porzingis, I'd like to point out that he is now at the level the hesitant said he wouldn't reach til March, if at all, this season. Health and time are all that is required for this pairing and I trust RC to pull the strings.
Like Reply
(10-28-2019, 10:15 AM)vfromlmf Wrote:
(10-28-2019, 08:31 AM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: just scratching the surface of his 2 man game with Luka

I read Luka only assisted on one Porzingis bucket in the first two games. 

He had five last night.

This thing is just going to get better and better.

Definitely.  I think the Mavs offense through the first 3 games is gets still quite rudimentary, and often bogs down to "Just do something Luka."   Not specific to the Mavs, this is true for most teams right now.   That's why it doesn't surprise me that you have a guy like Kyrie going off for 50 in his first game with the Nets, because that philosophy serves his well.
Like Reply
I dunno, is it time to revisit this? Does he have that x-factor that it takes to be a winner? He certainly let the team down in the fourth and OT.
Like Reply
(11-01-2019, 11:37 PM)embellisher Wrote: I dunno, is it time to revisit this? Does he have that x-factor that it takes to bb a winner? He certainly let the team down in the fourth and OT.

It looks to me that he is still "trying to find his way." I don't think he yet understands his teammates or Luka and what role he should have in everything. Basically I think he doesn't understand how to be the "Robin" to Luka's "Batman."

That takes time. I am NOT worried. He has all the talent, skill, and work ethic to make it happen. The Mavs are SO FAR ahead of where I thought they would be five games in. Their ceiling is stupid high, even this year.
Like Reply
KPs movement is not as fluent as it was in NY but that will improve over time. The most important concern is his decision making. It was his biggest flaw in NY and it hasn´t improved so far. He obviously is rusty and it is only his 5th game back but he needs to stop with the long twos and isos against great defenders like AD. Focus on the things that he excells at. Run the pick and roll/pop. Spot up. Exploit mismatches.
Like Reply
He has potential to be a very good player, but maybe not great.  He has a bit of awkwardness to his game and tries to do too much. Rebound, defense, spot up threes, and one quick move should be his trademarks.  He can even shoot over people.  But, when he tries to put the ball on the floor or make elaborate moves on offense, or even post up. . . disaster.  He’s definitely not a closer like AD.  On the plus side, he’s a better defender than people think.  He does share the ball.  Seems like a good teammate.  I think he’s probably closer to third wheel than second.  If he can simplify and refine his game, maybe he becomes a true Robin.
Like Reply
He's still figuring it out.  Give him a few...not worried at all.
"There are no friends on the court." - Luka Doncic
Like Reply
Nah, i think its just rustiness and the fact that each game has been intense and against good competition. Barely 5 games after an 18 month layoff.
Like Reply
I have zero worries. He's trying to figure it all out again. He's rusty, but that will go away. I think he will be a special player, but it might take 30 games before he is truly consistent. I am convinced he'll never be Luka, but that doesn't meant he can't become a great player himself. Luka is a generational talent. It's unfair to expect him to be Luka. KP is better than anyone Dirk ever played with not named Nash. The other really good players Dirk had we're all old and near the end of their careers. Kidd was still really good, but a shell of the player he was in his prime.
Like Reply
The lack of assertiveness in the 2nd half of the Lakers game was frustrating to see. I can't even say he was rusty b/c he didn't even try to get his shot going.
Like Reply
(11-02-2019, 12:17 AM)TXBamanut Wrote: He's still figuring it out.  Give him a few...not worried at all.
Definitely. Not worried at all. Give these guys about 30 games together and this is going to get sick. This team is already looking like a contender. Not just a playoff team. It took the refs missing calls, and a near career high effort from LeBron to pull out an OT win tonight. This is a great team. Give them time to gel.
Like Reply